MartyZ

Holster Recomendations

59 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've got one of their holsters for my 92f, and like it a LOT.

i should add.....mine's plain black. i saw the pattern you've pictured, and while i liked it, i'm taking the nj level of crazy into account. i won't be wearing anything that any criminals familys lawyer can try to use against me. plain holster, plain critical defense ammo, plain shirts/pants/

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Let’s add belts to this conversation.
What belt have you tried that does not look too tactical?

I picked up this 5.11 leather belt, because it doesn't look too tactical.   No real-world experience with it yet, but it seems well-made.

5.11 gun belt

Those look pretty nice. I don’t need it, but it’s cool that they have dress belts as well. Are you thinking of getting the steel core?

I was looking at Crossbreed and Relentless Tactical. I settled on a Kore Essentials. Not sure that I will like the click track style, but time will tell.

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts/products/x3-buckle-xl-brown-leather-gun-belt

19 minutes ago, 10X said:

I picked up this 5.11 leather belt, because it doesn't look too tactical.   No real-world experience with it yet, but it seems well-made.

5.11 gun belt

Have owned a few of these, nice belts.  Permastiff insert will eventually start to go at whatever hole you use most, and if you keep using it, likely the leather will start cracking there too.  Because I have owned a few and bought some for my father, I can't really remember how long they last, but between 4-7 years seems about right, worn every single day.  Compared to cheap designer belts you'd find in most stores, they last WAY longer, and do not sag or come apart, even when that insert starts to go at the belt hole(s).  I've carried a 1911 OWB with this belt, and the right side of my pants does tend to pull down a bit more from the weight, but it still holds fine. 

I now wear a Hanks 21oz steel core belt every day.  It is built like a tank, it's like 3/8" thick, and I would bet it would indeed last the full 100 years of the warranty, based on my ownership so far.  I dunno if I needed the thickness, certain things like mag pouches may not fit if not designed for a larger thickness, but it holds everything fine after replacing the stuff that couldn't handle that thickness.  Hanks does offer other gun belts that are a little less expensive, but I don't know what kind of liner they use, if any.  If you gotta go through metal detectors often (when not carrying), dunno how much you'd like that steel core for an everyday belt.

I have been meaning to order another Amberide mag holster for a single stack 9mm, already have ones for doublestack 9/.40 and single stack .45.  When I got the Hank's belt, these holsters were some of the least expensive kydex universal options, but I've been quite impressed by them.

I've had a Hanks leather belt for a couple of years now. Looks like any normal leather belt. Excellent build quality, excellent customer service. The problem I have with it is the best size would be in between existing holes. It's ok for OWB, but IWB doesn't work for me. Since the only carry I've really done is at OWB at home or the range it hasn't really bothered me. Now that I need to find some type of IWB solution it's an issue. So I'll either be poking holes or shopping for one of those infinitely adjustable belts. I'm hoping that will help with IWB, because so far I haven't found anything I think I could wear for an entire day. 

On 6/26/2022 at 2:48 PM, High Exposure said:

I like AIWB (Appendix In the Waist Band) but it took me a long time to get there. I’ve been carrying a gun either concealed or open (duty holsters) everyday for 19 years now. I’ve taken many classes by some of the best firearms trainers in the world - a lot of them covering concealed carry. I have tried a lot of techniques and equipment and I have gains a lot of experience to develop my carry system. 

However - what works for me may not work for you. Finding what works is a journey.  I’ll also say this - If you don’t have a box of holsters you don’t like, you may be missing something. 

The only shortcut I can give you is to reinforce how important a good GUNbelt is. It’s initially more important than the holster.

I’m a right handed shooter. I started in a leather OWB holster at 3 o’clock in an FBI cant. From there I went to a 4o’clock, then IWB, then back to 3 o’clock in a 0 cant holster.

My current carry is this:
• Ares gear Aegis Belt (2” bigger than normal)
• Tenicor Sagax Lux (AIWB) for a G19 or G48 with TLR7a
• NeoMag pocket mag carrier in left front pocket

It works for me.

Think of CCW as a system. It’s also a commitment - especially IWB. If you make smart choices in clothes and equipment, it makes it a lot easier.

Experimentation will be key - the Sig and the 92 may not be ideal for AIWB carry. 

Ditch the Serpa. Seriously. They are terrible holsters. I ban them on my ranges. You can get a Safariland holster for like $10 more than a SERPA.

Terrible idea for IWB carry in my experience. Sticks to your shirt and prints more and is rough against your skin which rubs uncomfortably and drags on the draw. If anything, a decent stipple job and you can knock it down with some sandpaper/emery cloth if it’s still too sharp.

I agree with AIWB. It is the primary method for me and has been for years. I like BlackPoint Tactical, Muddy River Tactical, We The People, and a couple of others (all with a claw). I cannot stand Alien Gear and other like them. AIWB conceals on my frame far better than any other method. I can AIWB a full sized pistol, but normally carry subcompact 9mm's. When driving I just slide the holster to 3 o'clock when getting into the car and readjust when getting out of the car. I have a couple of bins filled with holsters that didn't work for me for one reason or another. IWB at any other location leaves a large print and for me is much slower to draw. I carry a spare mag in my front pocket even though I have a bunch of mag carriers. It is just more comfortable for me to carry the mag in a pocket.

32 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Nylon: Ares Gear Aegis belt
Leather: Mean Gene Leather Aegis belt

There are no belts better for the daily carrying of a pistol.

/thread

Those look really really nice. Not sure if I understand the message correctly, but it looks like they don’t make the buckles from metal anymore, that’s a shame. I guess they use a similar click and track system to the kore essentials belt. The leather looks a lot nicer than any of the options I’ve seen so far. 

1 hour ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Those look pretty nice. I don’t need it, but it’s cool that they have dress belts as well. Are you thinking of getting the steel core?

I was looking at Crossbreed and Relentless Tactical. I settled on a Kore Essentials. Not sure that I will like the click track style, but time will tell.

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts/products/x3-buckle-xl-brown-leather-gun-belt

me? yea. i'm planning on the steel core belt.

i also like the looks of the ones that vedder holsters have. but...same price range poly core. i'm sure they're good too, and may try one.

i don't necessarily need a dress belt...but that style leather belt can pretty much be anything........

dam....i'm liking the one in your link too......

I've been using one of these for 7 years. https://www.nexbelt.com/collections/nylon-edc-belt-series

Mine has a steel core but it no longer mentions that on the site that I could find.

The ratchet system is great for getting a perfect fit for whatever you carry. I have carried subcompacts up to full size duty guns with no issues.

6 hours ago, SW9racer said:

I prefer this style of holster:

https://www.vedderholsters.com/comforttuck-iwb-hybrid-holster/

works well from 1 to 5 o’clock. Adjustable height, and holds well even if you use only one of the belt clips. 

I have one of those and liked it.... until it wore in and got loose. I lifted my shirt and the gun came with the shirt!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, CMJeepster said:

And one other thing while going down this rabbit hole...  Do the holster / mag combos make sense / work, or do y'all prefer to have a separate mag carrier?

I prefer opposite side for the mag, but a lot will depend on where you wear the holster.   For a righty, it'll be hard to get to a mag worn strong side if the holster is at 3, 4, or 5 o'clock.

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

I prefer opposite side for the mag, but a lot will depend on where you wear the holster.   For a righty, it'll be hard to get to a mag worn strong side if the holster is at 3, 4, or 5 o'clock.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw one while browsing yesterday.  I a righty who prefers 3, 4, 5 and am used to drawing mags with my left hand from my left side OWB carrier.

I received my legacy firearms holster on Saturday and I have been wearing it every day since, at home obviously. Sitting, Standing, walking around, doing chores around the house, and this holster has been extremely comfortable. Of course, I have nothing to compare it to other then the blade tech, but the blade tech is an utter POS. Anyway, happy with it so far.

I also ordered an paddle OWB from them but the paddle is a bit low resulting in the pistol tilting away from the body a bit. I have an email to them, waiting for a response.

But craftsmanship on both holsters is very good.20220802_070547.thumb.jpg.443e7366760d667e611b687fa453df34.jpg20220802_070604.thumb.jpg.5b92132e05ddd91988f1afd06458ec7a.jpg

• Informative 1

Ok, so update on Legacy Firearms. The IWB is great, so far. Good build quality and quite comfortable at around 3:30. With the claw, it also presses the grip into my side reducing printing.

The OWB paddle holster is a different story. Build quality is good. The design, however, sucks. They put the paddle below the center of gravity, it basically attaches to the holster lower then the trigger guard, resutilrng in the gun canting out away from the body. This type of design needs belt loops that are ridgid, not a paddle which is has play at the top. I tried contacting them and they basically told be to get a new belt. Which is BS since I used a 5.11 leather belt. So their CS sucks.20220802_144026.thumb.jpg.4af7f7c975e41e05379892f44f6d0111.jpg

• Informative 1

On 8/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, MartyZ said:

Ok, so update on Legacy Firearms. The IWB is great, so far. Good build quality and quite comfortable at around 3:30. With the claw, it also presses the grip into my side reducing printing.

The OWB paddle holster is a different story. Build quality is good. The design, however, sucks. They put the paddle below the center of gravity, it basically attaches to the holster lower then the trigger guard, resutilrng in the gun canting out away from the body. This type of design needs belt loops that are ridgid, not a paddle which is has play at the top. I tried contacting them and they basically told be to get a new belt. Which is BS since I used a 5.11 leather belt. So their CS sucks.20220802_144026.thumb.jpg.4af7f7c975e41e05379892f44f6d0111.jpg

Obvious answer, gain 30 or 40 pounds, duh! Then that is a 'feature' - "ComfortFit Holster Angling for Guts(TM)" or something.

Does that belt have a permastiff insert?  Even a 1911 in a Serpa doesn't angle out that much (though it is a paddle type) with the 5.11 belts I've owned.

Not sure of the attachment point system that holster uses, but I have seen lots of options out there on ebay for different belt clips, which might potentially work better for you.  I've had to replace a clip for the kydex kimber pepperblaster holster I have worn for the last 7 years, and the hole spacing seems to be pretty standard on many of these.  Sucks to have to do it yourself, but might find something to make you happier.

I already made a custom loop from some kydex I had. But the whole reason for getting a paddle was for easy on/off, without removing my belt. The belt has a rigid core and work perfectly with every other holster I have. The point of my post was for info for anyone else shopping for holaters. As you can see from the pic, the attachment point is below the trigger guard, attached with 2 chicago screws, and the gap between the holster and the paddle is bigger then the thickness of the belt.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, MartyZ said:

Why does it have a full length sweat guard for a paddle holster? That’s just going to get in the way of your draw. What a poorly designed rig.

32 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Anyone use a Harry's Holster? I am looking at one of these: https://harrysholsters.com/hk-vp9sk-holster/

Can you let me know if you get one of these for that gun? I bought a trex arms sidecar for the same pistol but I print the handle depending on what I'm wearing.