MartyZ

Holster Recomendations

Now that we have the SCOTUS decision, and most if not all of us will be applying for their CCW permits eventually. I think it's time to start shopping for holsters. Let's keep this thread to questions and answers/recommendations. I would prefer this thread does not end up in the 1A lounge.

I'll start:

What is a good IWB holster for a VP9 with TLR-7A. I am a big guy so appendix carry is out of the question, I want a tuckable strong side IWB holster moderately priced. Any suggestions?

37 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

What is a good IWB holster for a VP9 with TLR-7A. I am a big guy so appendix carry is out of the question, I want a tuckable strong side IWB holster moderately priced. Any suggestions?

That's not a common config - you may have to go custom with that.  Without the Light on, I'd go with a Crossbreed Reckoning.  

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/the-reckoning-holster.html

I have bought a few different holsters over the years. Some for competition and some for carry.

The most comfortable IWB style I find is the leather/kydex hybrid holsters. I have a couple of Comp-tac MTAC holsters which are great but do not accommodate a light.

I recently got a Cross Breed LD2.0 for my Glock 19 with TLR-1HL which carries very nicely too, but they don't list one for a VP9.

I am less in favor of the Bravo Concealment holsters as the sweat guard is very narrow and I find the rear sight digs into me too much.

23 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I just checked all 3 sites, nothing for vp9 with tlr-7a.

I did find 1 site, full custom, expensive, but seams to fit my needs. Have no idea what the quality is though.

https://legacyfirearmsco.com/light-bearing-ares-iwb/

I saw that but I also agree with Stu - the most comfortable are the Leather/Kydex hybrid holsters.  

26 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Their website hasn't been updated in forever - are they even still around?

If so, they look ok - but I would get better clips than the loops.

JM Custom Kydex

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com

/thread

Seriously. I wear a holster everyday all day.  I have boxes of unused holsters for all the big name manufacturers. For non-appendix IWB or for concealable OWB (non—duty), there is nothing no one making a better holster than JMCK.

A VP9 w/TLR7 isn’t common, so you will have a wait (I think 9-11 weeks is their reported time)  but it will be worth it.

• Like 1

I have used the following for CCW in other states and training in NJ:

1. Craft holsters- Awesome leather holsters made in Europe

2. Bravo Concealment- good stuff for CCW and training. Simple and cheap.

3. Galloway precision holsters- good for CCW in Florida, I used their appendix holster.

I will be looking into either craft holsters or kydex holster solutions as i recently starting running comps. 

BTW, thank you  MartyZ for starting this thread! An armed society is a polite society!

Not addressing your specific firearm, but... I have a Ruger SP101 in 357 with a 4.2" barrel. I was skeptical that I could find an adequate IWB tuckable holster because of the weight and barrel length. I did some web searching, and found that there were very few offerings that could work well, and nearly all of those were out of stock (a few were also outrageously priced). I found a European outfit, Falco (Slovenia) that promised they could customize their holsters for barrel length, sight configuration, cant, etc. Thie prices weren't exactly cheap, but imo quite reasonable for good quality leather. I ordered a holster to my specs, and it arrived within two weeks. Haven't done a lot of Jersey carry with it so far :) but from testing it in my home, I think it will be more than satisfactory.  

www.falcoholsters.com

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

You're already carrying a full size gun with the VP9 - you may want to not limit yourself with the TLR7 light - there are many more IWB holsters out there for a VP9 that will fit better without the light.  

Ok, This makes no sense. The addition of a WML is never a detractor, it is always an asset. All guns carried for defense should have WMLs IMO.

Get a holster that accepts the gun and the light. The TLR7a is less than 2.5oz, doesn’t increase the overall length of the pistol, and increases your ability in low light condition (where the majority of self defense issues occurs) by a million %.

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

Ok, This makes no sense. The addition of a WML is never a detractor, it is always an asset. All guns carried for defense should have WMLs IMO.

Get a holster that accepts the gun and the light. The TLR7a is less than 2.5oz, doesn’t increase the overall length of the pistol, and increases your ability in low light condition (where the majority of self defense issues occurs) by a million %. 

It was more of a limit on proper holster choices....... If the choice is between a reliable comfortable holster without the light, and a barely-functional uncomfortable holster with a WML on - I'd most likely go for the holster without a light first until I find a good one that fits well.

The mission drives the gear train.

Make smart choices that work for you and your gear. Don’t set yourself up to be at a disadvantage. 

Specifically, there are quality options at affordable prices available for exactly what the OP wants.  There is no need to compromise or buy twice here. 

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

It was more of a limit on proper holster choices....... If the choice is between a reliable comfortable holster without the light, and a barely-functional uncomfortable holster with a WML on - I'd most likely go for the holster without a light first until I find a good one that fits well.

So I do have a blade-tech total eclipse IWB/OWB holster now, which has wings similar to a hybrid holster. it is thin plastic so it does curve around to conform to my body, but it is super uncomfortable in all position. If a hybrid holster has similar characteristics then it's not for me.

20220624_151641.thumb.jpg.2d00af3e0cf9b69c1f10503667e19e60.jpg 

Edit: I know, it look like i'm flagging myself. I checked it 5 times before taking the photo. And i'm sitting on a chair so it's actually point at the floor.