JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

Assuming they keep the requirement for qualification, you will need a quality strong side belt holster that allows reholstering with one hand, without looking.  You will also need a magazine holder/pouch for the weak side, along with a few extra magazines.  I use Safariland paddle holsters.  Very comfortable during an 8-12 hour day.

Appendix A on page 35 has a typical qualification course for New Jersey...

https://nj.gov/lps/dcj/pdfs/dcj-firearms.pdf

While the course of fire is described for using a semi-auto, you can easily meet the same time requirements using a revolver.  I've done it many times.

I will also add that the above link shows a separate qualification for night time.  On several occasions i have had to fire a standard course, with just one phase of it "night time."  On an indoor range they would shut off the lights, on an outdoor range they gave a set of really dark goggles to wear.

• Informative 1

Speaking for myself - applying now, even if I am denied again, is going to have no detrimental effect on me (except maybe make me a bit more pissed).

I already have a denial on my record. Another one won't make any difference.

I don't even have to go to much effort. I plan to use the same $50 postal order that I used the first time around (hopefully they don't expire) so I can skip the trip to the post office. BIG TIP: NJSP don't take person checks for this. It has to be a PO.

If I get ahead of the rush - great! I don't see me having my day in court for at least a couple of months anyway. The BG checks aren't going to complete overnight. If everyone else wants to wait a see what happens to me, I'm good with that. I won't be stuck in a massive queue.

10 minutes ago, KurtC said:

allows reholstering with one hand, without looking

Why the requirement to not look at your holster? That is contrary to every bit of training I have received.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Speaking for myself - applying now, even if I am denied again, is going to have no detrimental effect on me (except maybe make me a bit more pissed).

I don't even have to go to much effort. I plan to use the same $50 postal order that I used the first time around (hopefully they don't expire) so I can skip the trip to the post office. BIG TIP: NJSP don't take person checks for this. It has to be a PO.

If I get ahead of the rush - great! I don't see me having my day in court for at least a couple of months anyway. The BG checks aren't going to complete overnight. If everyone else wants to wait a see what happens to me, I'm good with that. I won't be stuck in a massive queue.

Why the requirement to not look at your holster? That is contrary to every bit of training I have received.

You need to be scanning the threat, not looking at your holster.  Your day isn't over because you had to draw your handgun.  You'll still have to get you and yours to a position of safety.  You need to be able to holster with one hand, so your other hand can manage children, car doors, etc.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

In a week, this may not even be the process anymore. Just sayin’

8 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I was gonna ask the same thing. That’s not a requirement of any LEO Qual course I’ve seen. 

6 minutes ago, KurtC said:

You need to be scanning the threat, not looking at your holster.  Your day isn't over because you had to draw your handgun.  You'll still have to get you and yours to a position of safety.  You need to be able to holster with one hand, so your other hand can manage children, car doors, etc.

Sorry. I know this isn’t the right thread for this discussion, but I can’t let this go. This is nonsense. They stopped teaching this TTP years ago.

If you are in such a dangerous situation that you are still scanning for threats, why are you even considering holstering you’re firearm in the first place. It should still be in your hand.

When it is safe to put your gun away, take an instant and look your gun into the holster. Use both hands (being careful not to sweep your support hand) so you can clear any cover garments from your holster opening and make sure nothing is getting in your trigger guard as you secure the gun in the holster. Then use two hands to manage children, open doors, etc…

Safe, efficient, and fast.

Sorry to derail.

• Like 2

I've probably qualified  50 or 60 times over the last 35 years and it has always been the same,  reholster with one hand, without looking, even when concealed. That's one thing that hasn't changed over the decades.  Situational awareness is paramount, not fiddling with your gear.  Check out the link I posted for qualifications.  During advanced training, if you decide to go that route, you'll have to draw with your weakhand and reload with just one hand.  

Also, no shoulder rigs of any sort.  You won't even be allowed on the range.

A lot of incidentals during qualification will be up to the instructor running the range.  Such things will be based on the levels of experience and number of shooters taking part.  You may have someone that holds your hand through the process or you may have someone that expects a lot out of you.  There are a lot of variables.

51 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

In a week, this may not even be the process anymore. Just sayin’

I'm pretty sure the rules for changing the Administrative Code take a little longer than that. Any changes have to be published in the NJ Register for public review and comment, right?

Since a lot of unhappy bureaucrats are going to have to comply with this ruling, they will probably figure out a way to raise money on it.  It would not surprise me if they come up with very specific training requirements, along with a new qualification course.  In doing so, they may force you to use only certain "state sponsored" instructors.

I wouldn't rush into anything.

• Agree 1

I’m a law abiding citizen with a clean record my entire life.  Have responsibly owned firearms for decades and my right to defend myself and my family wherever I go in our state should not be denied any longer.

I’ll be initiating the CCW process by first reaching out to my local PD to see if they have gotten any guidance.  In addition, I’ll be asking my local range on what they have heard.  Lastly, I'm going to reach out to my attorney to assist me on successfully applying for my CCW.

The state will continue to delay and play their games until we all apply so they have no choice but address to abide todays wonderful ruling.

in  other states where some NJ residents have obtained non-resident permits you could carry a revolver one day and semi the next. so in NJ is it safe to assume whatever you qualify with is only what you are only permitted to carry?  In other words in NJ you qualified with a Glock G26 or similar and you needed to send it back for repairs or a recall so then you’d be prevented from carrying a revolver in the meantime correct?  

8 minutes ago, FXDX said:

in  other states where some NJ residents have obtained non-resident permits you could carry a revolver one day and semi the next. so in NJ is it safe to assume whatever you qualify with is only what you are only permitted to carry?  In other words in NJ you qualified with a Glock G26 or similar and you needed to send it back for repairs or a recall so then you’d be prevented from carrying a revolver in the meantime correct?  

I think that was part of NY's unreasonable subjective rules that was being discussed as well... I believe in NY you could only qualify with a specific gun and carry that... not 100% on this, but I recall someone discussing it somewhere.  So if the gun went down - you couldn't carry another.

I could be 100% wrong though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I think that was part of NY's unreasonable subjective rules that was being discussed as well... I believe in NY you could only qualify with a specific gun and carry that... not 100% on this, but I recall someone discussing it somewhere.  So if the gun went down - you couldn't carry another.

I had a coworker who lived in upstate NY, just over NJs northern border, he showed me his NY carry permit, it had 3 guns listed on it by make, model, and caliber, but no serial number. So yes, you are correct, in NY you can only use the specific gun listed on your permit but you could have multiple guns listed. Not sure though if you had to qualify for all or not.

7 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm pretty sure the rules for changing the Administrative Code take a little longer than that. Any changes have to be published in the NJ Register for public review and comment, right?

NEW JERSEY

New Jersey residents no longer must prove “justifiable need” to carry a handgun in light of the Supreme Court’s decision Thursday, but permits are still required, the state’s top law enforcement officer said.

Acting Attorney General Matthew Platkin said in a phone interview that the high court’s ruling in the New York state case “effectively struck down” New Jersey’s requirement that residents seeking carry permits show they face significant threats and have a justifiable need to get a carry permit.

But, he added, the other requirements under New Jersey law still stand. Among them is safety training and a prohibition against certain convicts. As for how soon the change goes into effect, Platkin said he will issue guidance “imminently.”

https://apnews.com/article/us-supreme-court-gun-politics-new-york-violence-kathy-hochul-ebe58ea297c154a25a62650dec935529

Go for it man!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I think it got lost.

I would advise patience here. This is brand new.

NY’s justifiable need clause was cast out as unconstitutional. Great.

That doesn’t necessarily mean that NJ’s was as well. While the meat of the laws in both states are similar, the details are different. it may require a similar SCOTUS case with NJ, or it may not.

As of now, nothing in NJ has changed and I imagine the AG and DCJ are determining the next steps for our state.

Don’t rush. We have all been patient for years. A few more weeks to let the dust settle and see what’s on the horizon won’t hurt. Remember, a denial is forever. It would be a huge waste of time and money to get denied now, and have to deal with that at every step going forward, when you are so close.

Like the man said, “Patience is a virtue.”

^^^^^^  this.

The orgasmic fury, is outta control....

Reminds me of the bull and cow joke

10 hours ago, gunforhire said:

Thank you. I’m a week or so we will know clearer. I hope. For now if anyone says that know what you need or ask for money to start the process.  It’s a scam. 

ant. 

I did my Utah CCW with GFH 12 years ago. I forget the instructor's name, but he did a great job presenting the volume of information needed while keeping it interesting. Fingerprinting and photos were done during the course as well if I remember correctly. I'm looking forward to the GFH NJ CCW class. 

50 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

My nephew and wife have carry permits and live in upstate NY. Clearly upstate and NYC have different outlooks on this.  I’ll ask him about that point. OT but I do know shortly after they got their NY permits they went to PA and obtained their non resident PA permits with no issues

18 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

^^^^^^  this.

The orgasmic fury, is outta control....

Reminds me of the bull and cow joke

I agree, and HE is spot on. 

It WILL take awhile for the dust to settle and guidance to the PD to be formed. 

My read of the Bruen decision (I’m on pg 65/135 currently) pretty much lays a smack down to even mag restrictions, and weapons ‘in common use’…but it’s going to take time for all that to sort out. 
Especially the CCW. 

I know that you guys don’t want to hear this, but take a long breath and pause..it WILL happen for you…but rushing to file for permits now will result in denial. That probably won’t help you down the road when proper LEO guidance IS issued. 

I’m with you guys (and perfectly understand your thirst for CCW, remember I lived there for 20 years), but I think it’s prudent to wait a bit before going balls deep. 

10 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I like you HE and respect all the good advice and experience you have shared over the years here. However, I have to take exception here.

What NJ has been telling Police Chiefs to do (deny on grounds of lack of JN), telling Superior Court Judges to do (deny on grounds of lack of JN), telling Appeal court Judges to do (deny on grounds of lack of JN), and telling the NJ Supreme Court to do (deny on grounds of lack of JN) has just been shown to be unconstitutional from the day it was written - the 2nd Amendment was never changed in all that time so it's meaning has not changed in all that time. There have been countless attempts to explain the plain language of the 2nd Amendment to all these people for decades, but they have persisted in pushing their illegal scheme.

Now I am really struggling to understand why the people of New Jersey should patiently wait for the same people who have been enforcing their illegal scheme to come up with a new scheme, when the simplest and most expedient solution is for them to: Just. Stop. Doing. It.

Probably the fastest way to expedite them changing the process would be for someone who has the means to apply, get denied and then file a lawsuit and see it through.  If you do, kudos.  Not all of us can do that.  

I will add this.... I work at a gun shop with a shooting range. Yesterday, we rec'd over 2 dozen phone calls asking about quals for the new NJ CCW procedure. People were getting seriously angry with us because we could not provide any information. 

It was ridonkulous.

Please, do not call your local shooting range/gun shop about this. We have no information to give you.

I read alot of brief,so not sure why everyone is playing victim and the first assumption your making is how can we get a permit, thomas makes it clear just as we have a right to have a gun in the home we have the same right out in public, we dont need a carry permit in our home hence we dont need one in public to my retarded brain it seems pretty clear cut

52 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

My read of the Bruen decision (I’m on pg 65/135 currently) pretty much lays a smack down to even mag restrictions, and weapons ‘in common use’…but it’s going to take time for all that to sort out. 
Especially the CCW. 

I know that you guys don’t want to hear this, but take a long breath and pause..it WILL happen for you…but rushing to file for permits now will result in denial. That probably won’t help you down the road when proper LEO guidance IS issued. 

I’m with you guys (and perfectly understand your thirst for CCW, remember I lived there for 20 years), but I think it’s prudent to wait a bit before going balls deep. 

I agree. We have all waited for decades, I don't mind waiting another few months, or even a year, I can take training courses until then.

The old saying, "Better Late Then Never", truly applies here in my view.

1 minute ago, Avi said:

I read alot of brief,so not sure why everyone is playing victim and the first assumption your making is how can we get a permit, thomas makes it clear just as we have a right to have a gun in the home we have the same right out in public, we dont need a carry permit in our home hence we dont need one in public to my retarded brain it seems pretty clear cut

Thomas also makes it clear that a permitting scheme is allowed, unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, Avi said:

Going forward, therefore, the 43 States that employ objective shall-issue licensing regimes for carrying handguns for self-defense may continue to do so. Likewise, the 6 States including New York potentially affected by today’s decision may continue to require licenses for carrying handguns for self-defense so long as those States employ objective licensing requirements like those used by the 43 shall-issue States.

It's explicitly stated in there saying Shall issue licensing is fine, however states need to have simple objective licensing requirements (basically eliminating all of the extra BS that says you can't get a CCW).

1 hour ago, dajonga said:

I will add this.... I work at a gun shop with a shooting range. Yesterday, we rec'd over 2 dozen phone calls asking about quals for the new NJ CCW procedure. People were getting seriously angry with us because we could not provide any information. 

It was ridonkulous.

Please, do not call your local shooting range/gun shop about this. We have no information to give you.

Yep, just like my local PD. 

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Especially the CCW. 

THIS! listen to Anthony as well. I know were all excited, many of us have training and have carried out of state. NJ AG has changes coming "imminently". We can wait a few more days or weeks to avoid a permanent denial on our record.

3 hours ago, FXDX said:

Whenever I qualify, I run the course with 2 different sidearms, so that I have paperwork on 2 (It's actually one paper, but 2 sidearms are listed).  Thirty years ago, I would use one revolver (usually a Smith 625) and one semi.  Nowadays I usually use 2 semi's.

Back in the day I had a NY state non-resident permit.  The serial numbers/make of all possible sidearms was typed on the permit.  The current NJ permit doesn't have this, but who knows what the future brings.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I know that you guys don’t want to hear this, but take a long breath and pause..it WILL happen for you…but rushing to file for permits now will result in denial. That probably won’t help you down the road when proper LEO guidance IS issued. 

I like when I’m wrong about stuff like this