JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

19 minutes ago, HuntingPaper said:

So, does anyone has a contact for a certified instructor that is running qualifications like next week?

If you have shot LE qualifications in the past, you can probably convince one of the RPO instructors to run you thru the HQC.  It's about 2 hours.  Figure on $100-200.

If you've never shot an LE qualification before, it will have to be a training as well.  That's probably one or two full days and I am sure any courses are filling up fast.  Individual training will cost $1-2k.  Group training will be more cost effective.

There are several firearms training centers in NJ.  Try google.

4 hours ago, KurtC said:

If you have shot LE qualifications in the past, you can probably convince one of the RPO instructors to run you thru the HQC.  It's about 2 hours.  Figure on $100-200.

If you've never shot an LE qualification before, it will have to be a training as well.  That's probably one or two full days and I am sure any courses are filling up fast.  Individual training will cost $1-2k.  Group training will be more cost effective.

How can courses be filling up fast if the requirements haven't even be determined as of yet?

22 minutes ago, supranatural said:

How can courses be filling up fast if the requirements haven't even be determined as of yet?

The requirements have been in place for decades.  The only one dropped is the letter of need, #5 below.

20220624_181420.jpg

Ok, so I have a neighbor who is a tactical firearms instructor he is originally from NJ but has been living in GA, he came back to NJ a short while ago. He doesn't do CCW training anymore, but he offered to provide me with tactical training. He however let his USCCA instructor credentials in NJ lapse.

I know that NJ probably will not accept his his certification because his instructor credentials lapsed. But will it be enough to satisfy the "Basic Pistol Course" requirements prior to taking a NJ qualification course?

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

Ok, so I have a neighbor who is a tactical firearms instructor he is originally from NJ but has been living in GA, he came back to NJ a short while ago. He doesn't do CCW training anymore, but he offered to provide me with tactical training. He however let his USCCA instructor credentials in NJ lapse.

I know that NJ probably will not accept his his certification because his instructor credentials lapsed. But will it be enough to satisfy the "Basic Pistol Course" requirements prior to taking a NJ qualification course?

theres no requirement for a basic pistol course 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Avi said:

theres no requirement for a basic pistol course 

This ^^^

With a typical qualification, they quickly refresh standard safety and use of force, the move on to the shooting.  That's for folks who have done it before. 

For folks new to the process, the instructors will have to start with the basics and move up to a qualification.  Figure on at least one full day for individual instruction and two or more for group.

My issue isn't lack of training. My issue is that none of my training is officially documented, I have no completion documents for any training besides the NRA first steps course. The only documentation I have to prove my proficiency is my IDPA level, which is also around 3 years old.

I'm kinda in the same boat. Been shooting/SO'ing uspsa and idpa for many years consistently. Things like holster draw, finger and muzzle control, flashlight use, accuracy etc., I'm not so worried about. Built and/or tweaked every handgun I own and haven't used factory ammo in years.

If need be, I'll obviously take any "course" that fulfills the requirements. My preference would be for a more advanced class or alternate path if possible.

7 minutes ago, marlintag said:

True! you only need the skills to pass the Qual that is all we know at the moment. 

This ^^^

The problem is finding someone to just run you through the HQC if they aren't personally familiar with your skill level. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I'm a bit confused. Is the current application form still good, or will NJ be coming out with a new form?

My own understanding at this point in time is that the existing SP-642 is still the official form to use. At some future point they will upgrade the form to remove the reference to JN.  Also based on the governor’s new conference,  FARS will be upgraded to also handle CCW. The timeline for either or both of the aforementioned is not yet known.

On 6/23/2022 at 4:39 PM, JackDaWack said:

It would be great if a place like GunforHire had something for us up here in NNJ.

"Until we see statutes, we don't know what we'll be fighting." - Dan Schmutter, Esq.

The Gun For Hire Radio Broadcast: Episode 579 - Best Gun Range NYC and NJ Area | Gun Range Near Me

Two additional considerations that occurred to me:

1.  Ammo:  To the best of my knowledge, we are still not permitted to carry hollow point rounds in NJ, but I believe that polymer tipped expanding bullets like Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty have been ruled OK by NJSP.

2. Reciprocity:  Even with an NJ CCW permit, one will not be able to cross the border into NJ, PA, or DE without having additional permits for those states, if we can even get them.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:42 AM, Krdshrk said:

I think that was part of NY's unreasonable subjective rules that was being discussed as well... I believe in NY you could only qualify with a specific gun and carry that... not 100% on this, but I recall someone discussing it somewhere.  So if the gun went down - you couldn't carry another.

I could be 100% wrong though.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the guns one is allowed to carry are actually on the New York carry permit.

37 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

1.  Ammo:  To the best of my knowledge, we are still not permitted to carry hollow point rounds in NJ, but I believe that polymer tipped expanding bullets like Hornady Critical Defense and Critical Duty have been ruled OK by NJSP.

2. Reciprocity:  Even with an NJ CCW permit, one will not be able to cross the border into NJ, PA, or DE without having additional permits for those states, if we can even get them.

37 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I don't have the statute in front of me,  but I thought that a New Jersey carry permit cancelled the need for the "exemptions" for both handguns and hollow point ammunition.  Sorry about double posting the post!

On 6/25/2022 at 9:22 PM, KurtC said:

stupid question. what's an RPO instructor?

RPO is Retired Police Officer.  They have been allowed to carry for a good number of years.  While their requalification process is completely different from civilians, the course of fire is the same and many instructors are certified to do both.

12 minutes ago, antimatter said:

silly question - 

what kind of holster do we need to use for qualifications?  inside or outside?  

does it matter?

cheers

It never has, except for uniformed Security or Armored Car personnel.

Just make sure it is the kind that stays open with the sidearm removed.  No cheap ones that go flat.

If it has a retention device, such as a strap or hood, it will have to be engaged each time you reholster.

Your instructor may have opinions on what is considered safe.  Crossdraw and shoulder holsters are usually a no go.

11 minutes ago, KurtC said:

It never has, except for uniformed Security or Armored Car personnel.

Just make sure it is the kind that stays open with the sidearm removed.  No cheap ones that go flat.

If it has a retention device, such as a strap or hood, it will have to be engaged each time you reholster.

Your instructor may have opinions on what is considered safe.  Crossdraw and shoulder holsters are usually a no go.

thank you.  i have outside paddles for when i do matches, nothing for IWB. 

but i guess its time to start shopping for that now!

11 minutes ago, antimatter said:

thank you.  i have outside paddles for when i do matches, nothing for IWB. 

but i guess its time to start shopping for that now!

I switched to a Safariland paddle some years ago and couldn't be happier.  If you are carrying 12 hours or more a day, they are about as comfortable as a holster can get.  Easy on and off as well.

1 hour ago, KurtC said:

I switched to a Safariland paddle some years ago and couldn't be happier.  If you are carrying 12 hours or more a day, they are about as comfortable as a holster can get.  Easy on and off as well.

which safarilands are you guys using to conceal? i've got an als and a gls for the beretta, and find myself not using them that often because they're fooking huge........