JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

19 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

which safarilands are you guys using to conceal? i've got an als and a gls for the beretta, and find myself not using them that often because they're fooking huge........

I've been using the Safariland 568 custom fit paddle for a good number of years, but I don't see it on their current website.

Their 5196 is similar, although that one may be more model specific.   A lot of their current offerings are modular.  You can use either a paddle or the belt loops.  Some come with both.

9 minutes ago, KurtC said:

For holster use, belts with holes don't always line up perfectly.  Either too tight or too loose.  Infinitely adjustable ones work much better and are more comfortable.  These are a bargain.  I'm wearing one right now.

Galls EDC Belts

How stiff are those belts?  I haven't had an issue with my Hank's Gunner belt with lining up.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

How stiff are those belts?  I haven't had an issue with my Hank's Gunner belt with lining up.  

My weight fluctuates a good 5-10 lbs throughout the year, depending on whether or not I hit the gym regularly.  I've had bad luck with belt holes.

These are surprisingly stiff vertically.  I've paid a helluva a lot more belts that weren't as good.

• Informative 1

38 minutes ago, KurtC said:

My weight fluctuates a good 5-10 lbs throughout the year, depending on whether or not I hit the gym regularly.  I've had bad luck with belt holes.

These are surprisingly stiff vertically.  I've paid a helluva a lot more belts that weren't as good.

Unless it is reinforced, for me...I would pass.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:31 AM, oldguysrule649 said:

My own understanding at this point in time is that the existing SP-642 is still the official form to use. At some future point they will upgrade the form to remove the reference to JN.  Also based on the governor’s new conference,  FARS will be upgraded to also handle CCW. The timeline for either or both of the aforementioned is not yet known.

There is a new SP642 form issued today (6/28/2022). I have been advised by NJSP Washington Station that I should use the new form, even though that means collecting my references' signatures again. The trooper said there is a risk of eventual denial for the wrong form so it would be better to get it right now, rather than have to start again in a month or two.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml

• Thanks 2

I have comepleted everything needed for application. Spent hours getting all this done and I'm certified.

I noticed they changed the paper work a few hours ago and removed " Need" part.

Called SP and was told " You apply online" I said no it says in person. he says No its  online.

NOT GONNA BE EASY!!!

If NJ does not distinguish between concealed and open carry, what happens if you accidently flash your holstered firearm? For example if removing a jacket and your shirt flaps open or you try to reach something on the top shelf in the supermarket and your shirt rides up.

Is there just a "change form" to be completed or do you have to re-do the whole carry permit process?

The pistol I would rather carry I have just put an application is for a permit to buy.  It won't be here before I apply for the carry permit.  I will be using one of my other ones temporarily (and to qualify).  How do you think this will affect things?

Thanks

7 minutes ago, byekryam said:

Is there just a "change form" to be completed or do you have to re-do the whole carry permit process?

The pistol I would rather carry I have just put an application is for a permit to buy.  It won't be here before I apply for the carry permit.  I will be using one of my other ones temporarily (and to qualify).  How do you think this will affect things?

Thanks

What ANYONE THINKS doesn't matter!  What the RULES ARE matters.  Nothing has substantially changed in the qualification process except now you need to score 80% in order to qualify (200 x 250).  And you need to do it WITH THE GUN YOU'RE GOING TO CARRY!

So, since there isn't a "Change Form", you'll have to qualify with your new, unpurchased & unregistered (and UNPRACTICED WITH) handgun. 

~R 

• Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

What ANYONE THINKS doesn't matter!  What the RULES ARE matters.  Nothing has substantially changed in the qualification process except now you need to score 80% in order to qualify (200 x 250).  And you need to do it WITH THE GUN YOU'RE GOING TO CARRY!

So, since there isn't a "Change Form", you'll have to qualify with your new, unpurchased & unregistered (and UNPRACTICED WITH) handgun. 

~R 

Well, that certainly wouldn't be the case.  At the point that I would need to do a "change", I would have already purchased, been registered, and would certainly have sighted in\practiced with my new pistol before even wanting to carry it.  My question is, and I think you answered it, is that I just would have to get "re-qualified" with the new firearm.  It doesn't sound like I would have to go through the whole initial application process again.  Unless this is too new for anyone to tell yet... 

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

If NJ does not distinguish between concealed and open carry, what happens if you accidently flash your holstered firearm? For example if removing a jacket and your shirt flaps open or you try to reach something on the top shelf in the supermarket and your shirt rides up.

Nothing happens.

• Agree 1

The requirement is that you submit qualification certs for the gun you INTEND to carry when you submit the application. Intention and the eventual act are not necessarily the same thing.

If you want to switch guns, you should qualify with it before carry it, but there is no way you can do that before you know that you're switching guns.

• Agree 1

On 6/25/2022 at 9:22 PM, KurtC said:

If you have shot LE qualifications in the past, you can probably convince one of the RPO instructors to run you thru the HQC.  It's about 2 hours.  Figure on $100-200.

If you've never shot an LE qualification before, it will have to be a training as well.  That's probably one or two full days and I am sure any courses are filling up fast.  Individual training will cost $1-2k.  Group training will be more cost effective.

There are several firearms training centers in NJ.  Try google.

I have been googling since Saturday with no luck - yes, lots of people selling course, not much mention that their courses meet the requirements for Carry in NJ (I think there was such a small market for it here so that is the result for now)....I also sent an e-mail to my range to see if they are going to sponsor the required Training class and/or actual Qualification shoot (of course for a fee, we are not Communists :-))...Hence if you have names of places already supporting the Carry Permit process training and qualification, it would be greatly appreciated (I am sure by many)  if you could kindly post them.

Perhaps I missed it among the several threads. Does a current (pre-ruling) NJ carry permit have a particular firearm's make/model/serial number printed on it?

A. If not, then the license is not married to a particular gun, and I'm not obligated to carry anything in particular.

B. If yes, then I'd be limited to one and only one gun. Unless the license has provision for several.

If I got a license as in A, I would probably qualify with any handgun I carried in NJ, regardless of what I qualified with for the license. Just to cover myself.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Hence if you have names of places already supporting the Carry Permit process training and qualification, it would be greatly appreciated (I am sure by many)  if you could kindly post them.

Current RPO qualified ranges:  New Jersey Shooting Ranges | New Jersey State Police - Firearms Information (nj.gov)

Just now, Combat Auto said:

That's a big help, thank you...Is the assumption that they will also do it for non retired police?

Nothing is certain right now other than "they" revised the form.  There's debate taking place as to whether or not "we" rush the stage now, or wait to see what comes of all of this in the coming weeks.  Personally, I've got my up-to-date application filled out, references lined up and documentation printed.  I don't feel comfortable submitting yet as I fear this:  

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Nothing is certain right now other than "they" revised the form.  There's debate taking place as to whether or not "we" rush the stage now, or wait to see what comes of all of this in the coming weeks.  Personally, I've got my up-to-date application filled out, references lined up and documentation printed.  I don't feel comfortable submitting yet as I fear this:  

I've been feeling the same way (in honesty after the initial "adrenaline-rush" to get it)...I am not filling out any forms yet. I have to do the training and qualification. I just called Shore-Shot on that NJST list you posted. You press the buttons and you come to a recording stipulating "for retired police officers" call. So I couldn't even ask my question if they take us that were not cops...Well eventually, we will have an infrastructure of people selling courses and quals to the rest of us as the demand grows. I'm just trying to lean the basic steps for now.

6 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Could you rent the gun you are buying for the class and qual?

Not unless you eventually buy that specific gun. The serial number is recorded on the qual cert and that is the specific gun you can carry, not just a gun of the same type.

31 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Perhaps I missed it among the several threads. Does a current (pre-ruling) NJ carry permit have a particular firearm's make/model/serial number printed on it?

A. If not, then the license is not married to a particular gun, and I'm not obligated to carry anything in particular.

B. If yes, then I'd be limited to one and only one gun. Unless the license has provision for several.

If I got a license as in A, I would probably qualify with any handgun I carried in NJ, regardless of what I qualified with for the license. Just to cover myself.

The permit does not, but you must have qualified with the gun you carry.

4 hours ago, 338lover said:

I have comepleted everything needed for application. Spent hours getting all this done and I'm certified.

I noticed they changed the paper work a few hours ago and removed " Need" part.

Called SP and was told " You apply online" I said no it says in person. he says No its  online.

NOT GONNA BE EASY!!!

3 hours ago, byekryam said:

Thanks

FYI merged your 2 topics into this thread - It's better to keep all the info under one thread so the info's not spread a million different ways.

• Thanks 1

jumping away from holsters for a second.....

"""""PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green
Card

2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be
double sided and notarized.

they want a birth certificate?

and she didn't warn me about this.....

4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.

Can anyone who is certified to do RPO, certify you?

Also, see this:
No holster needed
– All shooting from the ready position

So you should be able to shoot this at Cherry Ridge....if a certified instructor is local that has and can do RPO certs