JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

18 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Can anyone confirm that it is acceptable to the State'NJ that a person living in another state can be used as a reference on the carry permit application?

Thanks in Advance.

Yes, I used my brother in-law in VA for my FID and pistol permits

• Thanks 1

Hi All,

I went from qualifying at GFH (Thanks Anthony!) to my PD in Hoboken yesterday morning to submit my CCW package. They refused to accept it because "the officer that performs that duty is off today". I left my number, and the officer (Simone) told me he would not accept it and not to bother coming back today. He said they "need to create a number system, and we can't have people running around with CCW's that we can't keep track of". He told me to call Tuesday at the earliest to see what the status is, but it sounds like they are just going to refuse to accept submittals until Phil Murphy comes up with a way to block it completely. 

What can I do? I suggested that I could submit to the State Police instead and he got belligerent. He said he would tell them that he told me I could submit Tuesday - even though that isn't what he said.

I feel like my rights are being violated.

• FacePalm 1

1 minute ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

I went from qualifying at GFH (Thanks Anthony!) to my PD in Hoboken yesterday morning to submit my CCW package. They refused to accept it because "the officer that performs that duty is off today". I left my number, and the officer (Simone) told me he would not accept it and not to bother coming back today. He said they "need to create a number system, and we can't have people running around with CCW's that we can't keep track of". He told me to call Tuesday at the earliest to see what the status is, but it sounds like they are just going to refuse to accept submittals until Phil Murphy comes up with a way to block it completely. 

What can I do? I suggested that I could submit to the State Police instead and he got belligerent. He said he would tell them that he told me I could submit Tuesday - even though that isn't what he said.

The statutes say to submit it to the chief of police, so ask to see him and hand it to him.

2C:58-4  Permits to carry handguns.

c.   Investigation and approval.  Each application shall in the first instance be submitted to the chief police officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to the superintendent, (1) if the applicant is an employee of an armored car company, or (2) if there is no chief police officer in the municipality where the applicant resides, or (3) if the applicant does not reside in this State.  The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification.  He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mr.Stu - just sent the chief, Aguiar, an email detailing this as you stated above. I don't expect a reply, but it is worth documenting as you stated. I told him I consider the 60 day application period started from 6/30. I'm sure I'm going to the bottom of the list now, unfortunately, but at least I might get them moving for others that are in the same position.

47 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

sounds to me like they need a phone call from an attorney.

26 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Mr.Stu - just sent the chief, Aguiar, an email detailing this as you stated above. I don't expect a reply, but it is worth documenting as you stated. I told him I consider the 60 day application period started from 6/30. I'm sure I'm going to the bottom of the list now, unfortunately, but at least I might get them moving for others that are in the same position.

what they'll tell you is that the 60 days doesn't start till they have it in hand.

19 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

sounds to me like they need a phone call from an attorney.

what they'll tell you is that the 60 days doesn't start till they have it in hand.

Absolutely, yes. The only thing that would get any sort of motion on this is media coverage - and we know that's not going to happen. I suspect that even a call from an attorney would be laughed off.

1 hour ago, LineItem said:

Hi All,

Can you tell us about the class at GFH how many hours what did the class entail & cost

• Like 1

When I spoke to my PD early this week, there was no mention of waiting for anything. Once i have all of the required documents and the packet is ready, all i have to do is make an appointment to drop it off.

12 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Absolutely, yes. The only thing that would get any sort of motion on this is media coverage - and we know that's not going to happen. I suspect that even a call from an attorney would be laughed off.

Did you make an appointment before going to the Hoboken PD? If you made an appointment and they refused to take it then i would call an attorney.

soo.....was talking to a friend of mine that's been looking into this. he's an nra instructor. talked to a statie friend of his......supposedly there has to be a qualification number or identifier for the instructors giving the course....which none of have been provided as yet. i train with this guy on the regular, and trust him as if he were family......

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

The statutes say to submit it to the chief of police, so ask to see him and hand it to him.

2C:58-4  Permits to carry handguns.

c.   Investigation and approval.  Each application shall in the first instance be submitted to the chief police officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to the superintendent, (1) if the applicant is an employee of an armored car company, or (2) if there is no chief police officer in the municipality where the applicant resides, or (3) if the applicant does not reside in this State.  The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification.  He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry.

It doesn't say to submit in person.  Haven't I seen that even out of state people can apply for the permit?   I would think that registered, return receipt from the post office to the police chief should do it.  I just don't see how they can blatantly refuse to accept an application.  

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

soo.....was talking to a friend of mine that's been looking into this. he's an nra instructor. talked to a statie friend of his......supposedly there has to be a qualification number or identifier for the instructors giving the course....which none of have been provided as yet. i train with this guy on the regular, and trust him as if he were family......

I  believe GFH, being approved by the state prior to all of this, should have the necessary approval info for people passing their qualifying class. 

39 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I  believe GFH, being approved by the state prior to all of this, should have the necessary approval info for people passing their qualifying class. 

gotcha. i'm just trying to figure out how to qualify fast. i love training with this guy, and want to throw the money his way. if it comes down to it, i'll find the time to take the drive to nyc south(north jersey)

UPDATE - The officer (Simone) just called me and said "Bring in your application!" 

The email to the chief must have gone over really well, because he was unhappy. 

This is an FYI to others in similar situations. Thanks to all for the help!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Carolina Native said:

It doesn't say to submit in person.  Haven't I seen that even out of state people can apply for the permit?   I would think that registered, return receipt from the post office to the police chief should do it.  I just don't see how they can blatantly refuse to accept an application.  

Yes it does.  Item 1 on the NJSP instructions says you have to apply in person. and further down it says dont just show up.  You have to call them.  I dont know if that is acceptable.  There should be someone there to accept it at all times.  The mental health form has to be signed in the presence of the officer and he is the witness.

3 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Yes it does.  Item 1 on the NJSP instructions says you have to apply in person. and further down it says dont just show up.  You have to call them.  I dont know if that is acceptable.  There should be someone there to accept it at all times.  The mental health form has to be signed in the presence of the officer and he is the witness.

Mea Culpa.  Yep.  I saw that right after I posted.  I guess I should have posted it as a question, not a statement.  I hate when I do that.  

2 hours ago, LineItem said:

maybe call fox news. i'm sure tucker or hannity would love to get their teeth into something like this.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

maybe call fox news. i'm sure tucker or hannity would love to get their teeth into something like this.

Thats funny because I was just talking to LineItem about this as Jesse Waters mentioned last nite maybe getting a permit now...

40 minutes ago, LineItem said:

UPDATE - The officer (Simone) just called me and said "Bring in your application!" 

The email to the chief must have gone over really well, because he was unhappy. 

This is an FYI to others in similar situations. Thanks to all for the help!

Keep us posted as to how your qualification course at GFH (easy, difficult etc) and also what PD says about the finger printing.

1 minute ago, CJack said:

Keep us posted as to how your qualification course at GFH (easy, difficult etc) and also what PD says about the finger printing.

The qualification was very organized and straightforward according to the specifics in the statute for ranges (7yds-25yds). There was a safety briefing and we were also given a signable use of force document to turn in if requested by the PD. 

Please note - in my 13 port line; I saw at least three people fail. They missed the Q target. The instructor went to them once they missed a few at 7 yds and warned them that they would fail if they kept missing. They essentially failed in the first 25 rounds or so.

My score was 94%. 

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, LineItem said:

The qualification was very organized and straightforward according to the specifics in the statute for ranges (7yds-25yds). There was a safety briefing and we were also given a signable use of force document to turn in if requested by the PD. 

Please note - in my 13 port line; I saw at least three people fail. They missed the Q target. The instructor went to them once they missed a few at 7 yds and warned them that they would fail if they kept missing. They essentially failed in the first 25 rounds or so.

My score was 94%. 

Was this all standing ready or involved holster, barricade, kneeling etc like HQC-1 ?

Just now, CJack said:

Was this all standing ready or involved holster, barricade, kneeling etc like HQC-1 ?

No holster, no barricade, just straight up timed fire at the yardages. 80% in the milk bottle of the Q target to pass - all the same target throughout the course of fire. Mine looked like swiss cheese by the end with a few fliers. The fliers happened because I was using 9mm reloads that were horribly made - against Tunamans advice to just buy a box of factory rounds. LOL.

Had at least 6 FTF, where I couldn't tell if it was a hangfire or failure to go fully into battery. Threw me off. The instructor noted this and took away the duds after waiting to ensure they didn't go off, then allowed me to continue.

18 minutes ago, LineItem said:

My score was 94%. 

how many hours from beginning to end?

Just now, LineItem said:

I had an appointment at 10:15 and it was over by about 11:15. I was at the Hoboken PD by 12 noon. The ink wasn't even dry on the certificate.

wow thats quick i thought i would need a whole day

1 hour ago, LineItem said:

My score was 94%. 

the Q target is that big grey bowling pin with the x, right? how does one miss that at only 7 yards?

I'll be qualifying the week after next. My location will be doing it with the holster per HQC1 requirements. There seems to be two separate camps at the moment, ranges in NJ that require holster draw for HQC1 and the ranges that don't. I am concerned about the ones that don't.

• Agree 1

All I know is there are multiple training instructors and facilities with ALL DIFFERENT requirements. This is the BS I'm talking about. Some doing Basic pistol 1&2 and Holster draw 1&2 with a CCW thats over 1k in fees, Some doing HNQC & HQC2, some just basic pistol and qualification test. The most realistic one I've seen is Gun For Hire, who is qualification from ready position like majority of CCW states..unfortunately they are 1hr and 20min from me but I might have to suck up that ride and get it done! 

• Agree 2