JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

21 minutes ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

All I know is there are multiple training instructors and facilities with ALL DIFFERENT requirements. This is the BS I'm talking about. Some doing Basic pistol 1&2 and Holster draw 1&2 with a CCW thats over 1k in fees, Some doing HNQC & HQC2, some just basic pistol and qualification test. The most realistic one I've seen is Gun For Hire, who is qualification from ready position like majority of CCW states..unfortunately they are 1hr and 20min from me but I might have to suck up that ride and get it done! 

Everyone is shooting the dice, no pun intended. The concern with the "low ready position" is that it may be what other states are doing, but not what NJ is asking for! The HQC1(revolver) or HQC2(semi-auto) officially require drawing from a holster.

2 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Everyone is shooting the dice, no pun intended. The concern with the "low ready position" is that it may be what other states are doing, but not what NJ is asking for! The HQC1(revolver) or HQC2(semi-auto) officially require drawing from a holster.

and this worries me cause everyone seems to be doing from low ready.

2 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

All I know is there are multiple training instructors and facilities with ALL DIFFERENT requirements. This is the BS I'm talking about. Some doing Basic pistol 1&2 and Holster draw 1&2 with a CCW thats over 1k in fees, Some doing HNQC & HQC2, some just basic pistol and qualification test. The most realistic one I've seen is Gun For Hire, who is qualification from ready position like majority of CCW states..unfortunately they are 1hr and 20min from me but I might have to suck up that ride and get it done! 

There is nothing realistic about shooting on any range, let alone shooting a qual course. It is not supposed to be realistic. It is a test.

Take the word realistic out of your vocabulary when talking about qualifications. The purpose of the qual is merely to satisfactorily demonstrate you know which end of the gun to point at a target, you have rudimentary marksmanship abilities, and you understand the most basic manual of arms for the platform you are using (loading, unloading, reloading, safety/de-cock, malfunction reduction, etc…) That is it.

Passing an HQC doesn’t make you Wyatt Earp any more than buying a guitar makes you Jimmi Hendrix.

If you want to use a gun to protect yourself, or do do well in competition, you need to train accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

23 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

the Q target is that big grey bowling pin with the x, right? how does one miss that at only 7 yards?

You’d be shocked what people miss at 7 yards. Especially when you add a little stress - like a timer, people watching, or being graded.

I’ve seen people miss at 1 yard. More than once.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Quick question...

What is the time limit?  Is each yardage timed, or is the whole shooting event timed?  And how long for each?  Does this count reloading?  Or should you bring 5 mags?  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks

Just now, byekryam said:

Quick question...

What is the time limit?  Is each yardage timed, or is the whole shooting event timed?  And how long for each?  Does this count reloading?  Or should you bring 5 mags?  Any insight would be appreciated.  Thanks

Seems like each course is different.

Call the places you're considering and ask them.

I would presume the GFH course isn't times because they didn't say it is and they said you could get by on 3 magazines.

• Agree 1

Just now, 124gr9mm said:

Seems like each course is different.

Call the places you're considering and ask them.

I would presume the GFH course isn't times because they didn't say it is and they said you could get by on 3 magazines.

Thanks

2 hours ago, marlintag said:

There are multiple options according to the statute, HQC is just one. 

Hey folks, I am somewhat confused by Nappen's list of requirements to prove safe handling of a firarm (listed below)...Are both 1 and 2 required, or does #2: The Handgun Qualification passing score cover everything?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe

1. "Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;
  2. Submission of an applicant’s most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
  3. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor."

Just found this on GFH:

This is not a beginner course! You will be required to demonstrate safety, familiarity, and accuracy. It is pass or fail.
– No holster needed
– All shooting from the ready position
– 50 rounds per firearm
– FBI Q target
– 24 rounds at 7 yards
– 14 rounds at 10 yards
– 6 rounds at 15 yards
– 6 rounds at 25 yards
For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)...

Only 6 rounds at 25 yards makes this pretty easy for folks who have been shooting for many years...But as noted by another poster, there doesn't seem to be common standards across all ranges.

Still, I will practice this (routine) with my 9MM PPQ. I have a 1/2 body type target from Wilson with a 7" circle etched on the body. Later I'll qual with my 45.

5 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Hey folks, I am somewhat confused by Nappen's list of requirements to prove safe handling of a firarm (listed below)...Are both 1 and 2 required, or does #2: The Handgun Qualification passing score cover everything?

Thanks in Advance,

Joe

1. "Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;
  2. Submission of an applicant’s most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
  3. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor."

Never Mind, I got my answer, I called GFH, if you pass the shooting qual no other training or testing needed.

• Informative 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:56 PM, LineItem said:

The qualification was very organized and straightforward according to the specifics in the statute for ranges (7yds-25yds). There was a safety briefing and we were also given a signable use of force document to turn in if requested by the PD. 

Please note - in my 13 port line; I saw at least three people fail. They missed the Q target. The instructor went to them once they missed a few at 7 yds and warned them that they would fail if they kept missing. They essentially failed in the first 25 rounds or so.

My score was 94%. 

Did they start you at 7 yards? And what was the nature of the timing? Was it separate for each distance? (About) how much time did they give at say 7 yards vs 25 yards?

Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I'm scheduled for the end of July, waiting on a handgun and want to shoot a little before the qual.

I'm curious if after you apply, can you simply qualify with another handgun without reapplying for the permit itself?

I'm still learning but I think the answer is you can qualify with as many guns as you want (each requiring a test). I do not believe another permit application is required. But you need that "certificate" for each gun in a sad event if you have to use it in court after a SD shoot...I am going to use my 9mm (they are easier to shoot obviously) for the permit process and qualify later with my 45.

What are folks using these days to get "4 color passport sized photos" for the application? Last time I did that was for my passport at least 10-15 years ago. Do those little photo booths still exist? Are there on line services who will convert a selfie from your smart phone into passport size photos and snail-mail them back?

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

7 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

What are folks using these days to get "4 color passport sized photos" for the application? Last time I did that was for my passport at least 10-15 years ago. Do those little photo booths still exist? Are there on line services who will convert a selfie from your smart phone into passport size photos and snail-mail them back?

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

I just got my new passport and I went to CVS to get the photo done. They take it and process it and send you on your way with what you need for your passport. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 5:34 PM, byekryam said:

Quick question...

Folks usually set a par time for each string, not for the entire course of fire. I'm assuming that many of these ranges are tailoring their CoF to enable multiple shooters to take quals within a shooting port and without any extra gun handling to satisfy insurance requirements/safety. 

• Agree 1

"I just got my new passport and I went to CVS to get the photo done. They take it and process it and send you on your way with what you need for your passport."

I used them as well, but you need to tell them up front you want 4 photos. Deal is about $16/2 and only $2.99 for an extra set. I forgot to and was charged $32 and needed to work out a refund later. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RichP said:

Folks usually set a par time for each string, not for the entire course of fire. I'm assuming that many of these ranges are tailoring their CoF to enable multiple shooters to take quals within a shooting port and without any extra gun handling to satisfy insurance requirements/safety. 

Thanks

5 hours ago, RichP said:

So on the GFH website, at 7 yards they show 24 rounds will be shot. They also show 2 mags required minimum, and 3 mags ideal...Do you think the 24 rounds is segmented so that folks showing up with only 2 mags can reload a mag to finish?

13 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

So on the GFH website, at 7 yards they show 24 rounds will be shot. They also show 2 mags required minimum, and 3 mags ideal...Do you think the 24 rounds is segmented so that folks showing up with only 2 mags can reload a mag to finish?

Yes, of course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

Some post offices used to do them. Dunno how common it was/is. I know AAA offices have done them too, not sure if that is still offered. Some camera shops may, one I worked at years ago did before closing down.

If taking photos yourself, you typically want a clean, bare white background, and both the background and your face should be free of heavy shadows with clean, even lighting. This usually involves multiple lights when done professionally, and you should be at least 2-3 feet away from the background.

If you can crop/edit the photo to a correct size and have access to a paper cutter, a glossy 4x6 printed almost anywhere will be cheap. If you can't do basic photo editing/cropping, you are better off going where someone does this all the time.

I have seen the photos taken at some places or by individuals and I would be surprised if they passed. A few I know were rejected (for passports). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Some post offices used to do them. Dunno how common it was/is. I know AAA offices have done them too, not sure if that is still offered. Some camera shops may, one I worked at years ago did before closing down.

If taking photos yourself, you typically want a clean, bare white background, and both the background and your face should be free of heavy shadows with clean, even lighting. This usually involves multiple lights when done professionally, and you should be at least 2-3 feet away from the background.

If you can crop/edit the photo to a correct size and have access to a paper cutter, a glossy 4x6 printed almost anywhere will be cheap. If you can't do basic photo editing/cropping, you are better off going where someone does this all the time.

I have seen the photos taken at some places or by individuals and I would be surprised if they passed. A few I know were rejected (for passports). 

Great tips - thanks!

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

I print my own passport photos from my printer using photo paper. It works just fine. The trick is getting it exactly 1.5 X 1.5 inch or slightly larger. There are many apps from PC to cell to help with making small photos. Fedex and UPS offer notary services.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Malice4you said:

I've seen it too.  My last renewal had to be expedited because I had a business trip coming up to a country that required the passport be good for at least 6 months after arrival.   That's not uncommon, but I didn't realize it at the time.  

I had the photos taken at Walgreens and Fedex'd them off with the renewal paperwork...and just days before my trip, they were rejected (too dark, and dimensions slightly off).  So I had to repeat the process.  My passport finally arrived just hours before I was to board my flight.  

Way too stressful...and expensive.   Always check the passport expiry requirements of the country you are visiting!

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I've seen it too.  My last renewal had to be expedited because I had a business trip coming up to a country that required the passport be good for at least 6 months after arrival.   That's not uncommon, but I didn't realize it at the time.  

I had the photos taken at Walgreens and Fedex'd them off with the renewal paperwork...and just days before my trip, they were rejected (too dark, and dimensions slightly off).  So I had to repeat the process.  My passport finally arrived just hours before I was to board my flight.  

Way too stressful...and expensive.   Always check the passport expiry requirements of the country you are visiting!

Yeah, too dark was most common reason I saw photos that were rejected. Some that people showed me looked like they were taken in a room lit with one dim bulb. If the white background could be called anything darker than extremely light grey, take it again.  Ideally (for a passport), background should be 100% washed out white. It sounds like the photos for a carry permit have a little more loose standards, but evenly lit is still important.

If going somewhere to take em - make sure to specify the photos are 1.5"x1.5" - this is NOT US passport sized (2x2"). Usually we used software that superimposed a guide over the photo to get correct US passport photo head dimensions, but the RPO photos I have done were a bit of a guessing game.

51 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Yeah, too dark was most common reason I saw photos that were rejected. Some that people showed me looked like they were taken in a room lit with one dim bulb. If the white background could be called anything darker than extremely light grey, take it again.  Ideally (for a passport), background should be 100% washed out white. It sounds like the photos for a carry permit have a little more loose standards, but evenly lit is still important.

If going somewhere to take em - make sure to specify the photos are 1.5"x1.5" - this is NOT US passport sized (2x2"). Usually we used software that superimposed a guide over the photo to get correct US passport photo head dimensions, but the RPO photos I have done were a bit of a guessing game.

Thanks for the heads up!!! Chezze, I've been thinking 2X2...Nappen put out an instruction on how to get a CCW and he said "passport" size...The NJST site also has instructions that say "passport" size....YET, the ACTUAL application says 1.5X1.5...Go figure!