JackDaWack

CCW resources for NJ

8 hours ago, KurtC said:

Whenever I qualify, I run the course with 2 different sidearms, so that I have paperwork on 2 (It's actually one paper, but 2 sidearms are listed).  Thirty years ago, I would use one revolver (usually a Smith 625) and one semi.  Nowadays I usually use 2 semi's.

Back in the day I had a NY state non-resident permit.  The serial numbers/make of all possible sidearms was typed on the permit.  The current NJ permit doesn't have this, but who knows what the future brings.

Thank you, I kind of figured it be limited plus NJ loves paperwork. It’s kind of ironic right isn’t it?  I have 5 or 6 non-resident permits and never seen any restrictions as long as it’s within reason of course.  I guess as long as someone doesn’t stuff a M11/9 down their pants they’re good to go. I know people are hell bent on getting their nj ccw  but I’ll wait and see how it develops on the forum and listen to people like  Mr C of GFH since they were the ones driving it. I’ll be interested to hear GFH's  next podcast.

Posted in the other thread about the Bruen decision  thread...I called then went down to my local PD and they were pretty much ready with a packet they told me was updated this morning.  They removed the justifiable need and resume requirement (remnant from assumed security guard need), and told me they were aware of the ruling.  However they told me it typically goes to the county judge who they inquired as of this morning was unaware of the ruling and stated he would deny all applications.  The officer told me he expected that answer to change by next Tuesday morning and told me they suspect that they will probably push for the approval to be done either by local PD or NJSP once they see the deluge of applications that threaten to overwhelm the judge.  Coming is integration into FARS.  I have the packet and my only question is there is 3 references on the application which is to be filled in triplicate, so do it looks like I will need to visit each of my references in turn to complete the applications.  Only weird thing is I also have the pistol permit form in there as well, not sure why I need that unless I'm buying another pistol (never a bad idea...).

Also waiting on what training course comes up that I can take to satisfy the qualification part of the process...

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, supranatural said:

However they told me it typically goes to the county judge who they inquired as of this morning was unaware of the ruling

OK, that's concerning.   How can a friggin' judge--the one who CCW approvals go to, no less--be 'unaware' of one of the most highly publicized Supreme Court rulings in recent years?   Even if hizzoner inexplicably feels no need to pay attention to what the highest court in the land is doing, the ruling saturated ALL media for a full 24 hour news cycle.

11 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

dunno if i should go here or not.....is it possible to make a thread with all the helpful links from all of these threads in one place?

We're still gathering all the info - once we have all of the definitive stuff, we'll post it all in one spot.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I just signed up to get notified. It'll be a long drive, but well worth it.

depending on the days/times offered, i'm not so sure i can even make the drive....although i may try if time allows.....

On 6/23/2022 at 9:40 PM, gunforhire said:

Thank you. I’m a week or so we will know clearer. I hope. For now if anyone says that know what you need or ask for money to start the process.  It’s a scam. 

ant. 

Here we are https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

• Like 1

6. Written proof of qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved.  

Does this mean you need to own and train with all of the guns you want to CCW prior to applying for CCW?  What if you want to use a new one after you get your CCW permit?     

6. Written proof of qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. 

In relation to this aspect of the process, if one qualifies with a Glock model 19, does that mean you can only carry that model Glock and no others?

Does your qualification have to be within a specific amount of time relative to when you apply for CCW?   

Are military training records sufficient proof of qualification?

"....qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved."

That's another somewhat requirement our state has. In many jurisdictions that I have seen with similar wording also add that it is the specific firearm, not just brand and model. They will probably require you to qualify for EACH gun you expect to carry. I hope not, as I have three completely different guns I carry in Florida and would do so here as well under certain conditions.

2 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

"....qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved."

That's another somewhat requirement our state has. In many jurisdictions that I have seen with similar wording also add that it is the specific firearm, not just brand and model. They will probably require you to qualify for EACH gun you expect to carry. I hope not, as I have three completely different guns I carry in Florida and would do so here as well under certain conditions.

Terrible , so our ccw permits will have exact model and serial # on it for that particular handgun. Pay training and app fee for each , $$$$

9 hours ago, 10X said:

OK, that's concerning.   How can a friggin' judge--the one who CCW approvals go to, no less--be 'unaware' of one of the most highly publicized Supreme Court rulings in recent years?   Even if hizzoner inexplicably feels no need to pay attention to what the highest court in the land is doing, the ruling saturated ALL media for a full 24 hour news cycle.

They should have reminded him that ignorance of the law isn’t an excuse. 

• Haha 1

On 6/24/2022 at 7:53 AM, MartyZ said:

I had a coworker who lived in upstate NY, just over NJs northern border, he showed me his NY carry permit, it had 3 guns listed on it by make, model, and caliber, but no serial number. So yes, you are correct, in NY you can only use the specific gun listed on your permit but you could have multiple guns listed. Not sure though if you had to qualify for all or not.

I have had a NY unrestricted permit for 7 years. You have no choice on which handgun goes on your permit. Every handgun that you own must be on your permit in order for you to own it. If it's not on your permit you can't legally even have it in your house.

The plus side to that is you can carry concealed any handgun you own.

The NJ permit does not list your handguns.

When I submit my renewal, I show qualification with 2 separate handguns, often one revolver and one semi, just so they know I am proficient. 

If I decide to carry a different sidearm, I qualify with it first, for my records. I do not recommend carrying any sidearm that you have not qualified with.  You want to be able to CYA in the event of an incident. 

Is any holster good for the qualification (other than possible range reqs like no serpas)? Side OWB seems easiest to me but it's not very concealable. Also, what about retention level?

Also, regarding the previous comments I've seen about reholstering without looking, is this actually codified in the requirements somewhere?

1 hour ago, Xtors said:

Is any holster good for the qualification (other than possible range reqs like no serpas)? Side OWB seems easiest to me but it's not very concealable. Also, what about retention level?

Also, regarding the previous comments I've seen about reholstering without looking, is this actually codified in the requirements somewhere?

The state doesn't have any holster requirements for the handgun permit.   There is a level 3 retention requirement for guards and armored car drivers that carry exposed. 

The concealed holster requirements will be up to your instructor and range.  The instructors I have always used required me to be able to reholster with one hand and without looking, but that may not be necessary at the beginner level.  Check with the instructor that will be doing your qualification.  Shoulder and cross draw holsters are usually not allowed. 

Keep in mind that if the holster has a retention device, such as a strap, it will have to be engaged each time you reholster.

It would not surprise me if Murphy adds a retention level when they start rewriting the rules.  Level 2 is still concealable, Level 3 gets bulky.

the holster question is a good one. i train using serpas. don't laugh. they're actually decent holsters.  when i'm carrying at work, i wear an iwb holster. at home, i carry in a serpa owb, but always have a baggy shirt hiding it.

when i'm able to carry in public, i will only carry iwb, so now i gotta find a decent iwb holster for either beretta or sig.......

also, virtually every trainer i've ever trained with teaches us to "look" the gun back into the holster. there are no extra points scored for quickly re-holstering, and no one is gonna re-holster till they're 100% sure there is no threat.

Don't form any bad habits, like having to look while reloading or reholstering.  Many encounters happen in the dark and you won't be able to see anyway.   If there is a night phase to the qualification, the lights will be out.  Concentrate on situational awareness.   You may have drawn thinking there is a deadly threat, but if there isn't you will have to reholster while keeping your eyes on the situation.  You don't want to get sucker punched or cold cocked because you weren't paying attention. 

Keep in mind that your instructor may feel differently, especially with those beginning with defensive handgunning. Safety will be paramount with initial training. Follow his instructions to get through the qualification. 

Not trying to derail the conversation on holsters or start a holy war here but my two cents are as follows.

I've trained a good amount under GAPP and one of the things Cameron drilled into our heads, which I agree with, is to never be in a hurry to reholster and always be aware of what you are doing. Cameron would see what people brought to the class but in general he didn't mandate a particular solution unless were behaving in an unsafe manner. I have done classes with an IWB on my back, and Serpa and Safariland OWB paddle. That said, I understand why some ranges don't allow Serpas. Also, was an earlier comment that if the situation is still dangerous you shouldn't be reholstering, which I also agree with. Last, I see folks all the time at RAF, including people I know in LE, reholstering by "feeling" for the opening with the muzzle precisely because they aren't looking, which seems like a great way to shoot yourself. 

FWIW, the motivation for my original question was more that an OWB holster on my side is somewhat easier and quicker to draw from than an IWB behind the back. And I sure as heck wouldn't be reholstering AIWB without looking!

I certainly don't have the credentials of some on here...however; my holster choice for quals will be the one that satisfies any concealment requirements and is the biggest, easiest to draw from OWB that I could find. If a competiion kydex paddle holster is allowed, it will likely be that.

When your "on the clock" any stickiness WILL make the wheels come off.

Pick a quality holster that remains open.  Train and qualify with the one you will carrying.  Quality training will also have you live fire from concealment.  I've had to qualify numerous times from concealment.  It's up to the instructor.  It's a good idea to have one of the shoot-me-first vests handy, in case it comes up during training.  On a humorous note, I showed up for a qualification once and didn't have a suitable jacket (washable), so the instructor goes to the back of his vehicle and pulls out an army poncho.  "Here, wear this.  You should be familiar with one."  Fine, just make sure you show it on my paperwork.