ESB

CCW Recommendations

What do you wear normally? The gun you can conceal will vary depending on that. If you're a buff gym-rat who wears slim fit shirts, you may want something slim and small that you can carry AIWB (P365 or Hellcat). If you're more like me and carry a bit of a gut, IWB at 3-4 o'clock might be a better choice. If you're carrying a lot of weight, a full size handgun OWB under a baggy shirt may be the ticket. If you sit in a vehicle all day, you may want to look at a shoulder rig under a jacket. The answer to these questions will help you decide what physical size the gun should be.

Have you handled an XD? The grip safety is similar in theory, but not the same in practice. The XD trigger is also a million miles from a 1911 trigger. I would not get too attached to a grip safety, especially on a striker fired gun. All the other striker fired polymer guns are perfectly safe without one. Hell, even the other all steel, single action guns are perfectly safe without one.

Also, pick a gun you can shoot well. Some guns are just not a good fit for some people. I shoot Glocks pretty well and that's what I carry. However, I don't shoot the large frame Glocks well at all as they are just that bit too big and blocky for my hand, so would never carry a G20, G21, G30, G40, G41, etc.

38 minutes ago, ESB said:

I like the grip safety of my 1911.  Thoughts on a CCW with a grip safety like Springfield XD or S&W Shield EZ?  

Other things to consider when considering a CC gun?  

I personally like the Springfield XD-S a lot, partly for the grip safety.  Sure, there are other safeties incorporated, but the grip safety is pretty much bombproof, at least in my grip.   And it's by far the most accurate 3.3" bbl gun I've ever fired.   I personally liked it much more than the Shield, but the Shield is enormously popular, so as always the best advice is to shoot a few models and see what works best for you.

24 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

What do you wear normally? The gun you can conceal will vary depending on that. If you're a buff gym-rat who wears slim fit shirts, you may want something slim and small that you can carry AIWB (P365 or Hellcat). If you're more like me and carry a bit of a gut, IWB at 3-4 o'clock might be a better choice. If you're carrying a lot of weight, a full size handgun OWB under a baggy shirt may be the ticket. If you sit in a vehicle all day, you may want to look at a shoulder rig under a jacket. The answer to these questions will help you decide what physical size the gun should be.

Have you handled an XD? The grip safety is similar in theory, but not the same in practice. The XD trigger is also a million miles from a 1911 trigger. I would not get too attached to a grip safety, especially on a striker fired gun. All the other striker fired polymer guns are perfectly safe without one. Hell, even the other all steel, single action guns are perfectly safe without one.

Also, pick a gun you can shoot well. Some guns are just not a good fit for some people. I shoot Glocks pretty well and that's what I carry. However, I don't shoot the large frame Glocks well at all as they are just that bit too big and blocky for my hand, so would never carry a G20, G21, G30, G40, G41, etc.

Ok, so I have gut, more then a bit. I am planning on carrying a VP9, smallest semi-auto I have. I don't like to wear jackets unless it's a winter jacket, so pretty much half the year i'm wearing either a tee shirt or a tucked in button down shirt. So what would be my best options?

Not heavy, but not a gym buff.  I prefer tighter fitting t-shirts, but would probably change that.  I like the Red Dot option on the XD Mod 2.  All of my other guns have RDS.   I handled a XD-S and in one hand it felt awkward due to width, but in 2 hands it felt fine for some reason. I definitely like the extended mag better as I don't have small hands.   Did not get a chance to shoot it.  RTSP did not have any I could rent to try. 

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

Ok, so I have gut, more then a bit. I am planning on carrying a VP9, smallest semi-auto I have. I don't like to wear jackets unless it's a winter jacket, so pretty much half the year i'm wearing either a tee shirt or a tucked in button down shirt. So what would be my best options?

I was wondering if my VP9 would be to big to carry.. I want to try a VP9SK but no one has any to rent

6 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

I was wondering if my VP9 would be to big to carry.. I want to try a VP9SK but no one has any to rent

It might be, but at the moment it's the smallest semi-auto I have. Will be looking for something smaller when I have the funds.

24 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

It might be, but at the moment it's the smallest semi-auto I have. Will be looking for something smaller when I have the funds.

Yeah it's big.  

It's not just the size of the gun - the width also matters.  I've become very partial to the G48 / G43x for their slim size.

5 hours ago, ESB said:

I like the grip safety of my 1911.  Thoughts on a CCW with a grip safety like Springfield XD or S&W Shield EZ?  

Other things to consider when considering a CC gun?  

I would personally choose the shield EZ in 380 with the ported barrel. I have heard accounts of the grip safety failing on the XD and preventing discharge. I love me some 1911, but production 1911's may be iffy with reliability so depending on budget i would look at custom or semi-custom 1911's.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Another topic for CCW - Ammo choices.  Since we're not allowed to carry HP - what are you considering carrying?

Most likely will be Hornady Critical Defense here - though I do have a couple boxes of Federal EFMJ left.

Hornady critical defense is what I plan on using. I better start stocking up to practice with

Bad guys of all sizes and shapes carry and conceal large full-size guns in basketball shorts and Tshirts regularly.

Don’t overthink it.

I’m short and rounder than I’d like with a little bit of a muffintop. I carry a G19 w/RDS and TLR7 in a Tenicor Sagax Lux AIWB holster on an Ares Gear Aegis belt daily and can conceal it with a tshirt with no issue. I’ll also wear untucked button up shirts sometimes.

Quality holster and a QUALITY BELT* that is designed to carry a gun make a huge impact on how comfortable and easy this is. 

* Everyone always worries about the holster, the belt is the most important part IMO. A great gunbelt will make even a mediocre holster work well.

Ammo choices is subjective and personal. Just make sure you carry legal ammo that you know functions in your firearm and you have access to well established data on its effectiveness.

Finally, carry a gun you shoot well that fires a round you believe in. It’s supposed to be comforting, not always comfortable to carry a firearm. Don’t go for the smallest or lightest, go for most capable. I can think of little worse than facing the worst day of my life with a firearm I don’t shoot well, has inferior ammo and capacity, all because it was easier or slightly more comfortable.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

* Everyone always worries about the holster, the belt is the most important part IMO. A great gunbelt will make even a mediocre holster work well.

Yeah - I got a great gun belt a few years ago and it's still holding up great.  Went with a Hank's Gunner belt.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/hanks-gunner-stitched-concealed-carry-belt?variant=15585580742

I have always used 5.11 tactical conceal carry belts when i carried in Florida and Virginia. They blend in well with casual wear like cargo pants and a polo shirt. Since i carried in hot weather primarily, my shirts were always moisture wicking and breathable. I typically carried a small 380 pocket pistol in a pocket holster or in the appendix position depending on what I was wearing. I sometimes carried a 1911 in the cocked and locked fashion of course. For the ammo choice I consistently used Hornady critical defense and Inceptor ARX. I have recently got some Fort Scott TUI ammo that i took classes with, it's good stuff and NJ legal!

Blue Alpha has a “Hybrid Belt” that’s stiff af and uses cobra buckles but somehow the female end has been shrunk such that it can fit through standard belt loops. That’s what I use for competition but it would be fine for EDC too 

worth a look, if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Yeah - I got a great gun belt a few years ago and it's still holding up great.  Went with a Hank's Gunner belt.

https://www.hanksbelts.com/products/hanks-gunner-stitched-concealed-carry-belt?variant=15585580742

Thanks. I just ordered one. 

5 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Blue Alpha has a “Hybrid Belt” that’s stiff af and uses cobra buckles but somehow the female end has been shrunk such that it can fit through standard belt loops. That’s what I use for competition but it would be fine for EDC too 

worth a look, if nothing else. 

Blue alpha makes good shit. I won one of their Tactical Gun Belt Systems at a Modern Samurai Project class last year. It’s pretty great.

2 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

As a Florida non-resident CCW permit holder, I've been using a Kore Tactical belt and a Clinger Hinge System IWB holster using the single Gear clip most of the time. Carry choice is a Shield Plus PC 3.1" with fiber optic sights. 1056619960_12-ClingerHinge.jpg.b79f15fc0c759ee22559959216f0635a.jpg5-Smith-WessonPlus.jpg.c0a0f61ed3be4a5b0e9efa8658f45d07.jpg

Was considering the M&P for carry. I have a fullsize 

On 6/24/2022 at 3:04 PM, Krdshrk said:

Another topic for CCW - Ammo choices.  Since we're not allowed to carry HP - what are you considering carrying?

Most likely will be Hornady Critical Defense here - though I do have a couple boxes of Federal EFMJ left.

Hornady Critical Duty for me. That's what I have been carrying in free States for a while.

It will be so much easier being able to carry to and from my house, rather than having to pull over once I cross the PA border and before I cross back.

9 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I just ordered a DeSantis OWB leather Mini Slide for the Shield. I hear the qualifying usually require OWB for the range portion. If not, it will still be a good cool weather holster under an outer garment.

I guess it depends where you do the qualifying.  Gun For Hire shows:

No holster needed
– All shooting from the ready position
– 50 rounds per firearm
– Timed fire using an FBI Q target
– 24 rounds at 7 yards
– 14 rounds at 10 yards
– 6 rounds at 15 yards
– 6 rounds at 25 yards
For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I guess it depends where you do the qualifying.  Gun For Hire shows:

No holster needed
– All shooting from the ready position
– 50 rounds per firearm
– Timed fire using an FBI Q target
– 24 rounds at 7 yards
– 14 rounds at 10 yards
– 6 rounds at 15 yards
– 6 rounds at 25 yards
For a total of 50 rounds. Must hit at least 40 rounds out of 50 (80%)

Do we get bonus points for a perfect score?

On the subject of belts, for the past few years, I have been wearing a Hanks 21oz steel core belt every day. It is a *thick* belt (0.37"), thick enough some old hard mag holsters will not fit on it. The belt itself is sturdy as hell. Just be sure to read sizing instructions. I have been CCing a G23 IWB in a cheap Amberide holster at home for at least a year and usually don't even notice it on me.

Prior to that, I wore 5.11 belts with a permastiff insert, and they were pretty good, multiple ones lasted 5+ years while carrying a decent amount of stuff on the belt and in my pockets every day.

My personal thoughts on carry are based on what I own and current qualification requirements. My first thoughts are my Glock 23 Gen4 or Ruger LC9S pro.  I have a Sig Pro 2022 I might consider too.  I told myself I wouldn't get another handgun while in Jersey, but a Sig 365 (XL?) may eventually become a go-to. If we get standard cap mags back, perhaps I'd go something bigger/higher capacity, but a Glock23 is a good size for me and I don't think I'd wanna go much larger without a good reason.

How does one usually carry spare mags for CC? Around the house, I have a 2nd mag OWB on my weak side in a hard-sided holster, but there has to be a better way for CCing in public.

11 hours ago, Malice4you said:

How does one usually carry spare mags for CC? Around the house, I have a 2nd mag OWB on my weak side in a hard-sided holster, but there has to be a better way for CCing in public.

Neomag Type G is what I use daily to carry a spare mag:

https://theneomag.com/shop/neomag-type-g/

They seem expensive for what they are and you can find cheaper copies on Amazon. They suck compared to the real thing.

I am also looking at trying out the Hush from Condition Gray:

https://www.grayfighter.com/product-page/hush

But I haven’t gotten one to try yet.