ESB

CCW Recommendations

32 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Neomag Type G is what I use daily to carry a spare mag:

https://theneomag.com/shop/neomag-type-g/

They seem expensive for what they are and you can find cheaper copies on Amazon. They sick compared to the real thing.

I am also looking at trying out the Hush from Condition Gray:

https://www.grayfighter.com/product-page/hush

But I haven’t gotten one to try yet.

Just bought a Neo mag. Thanks HE. 

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Anyone considering a glock 45? I like the full size grip and shorter slide.  

The grip will make it harder to conceal.  You've got a G19 size slide on a G17 frame.  There's a reason the G19 is more concealable - shorter grip.  It's also a Gen 5 gun so it's fatter than the previous gens...... That's why Glock came out with the 43x/48 - single stack - slimmer gun is a bit easier to conceal.

But if you can make it work - you do you.

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

The grip will make it harder to conceal.  You've got a G19 size slide on a G17 frame.  There's a reason the G19 is more concealable - shorter grip.  It's also a Gen 5 gun so it's fatter than the previous gens...... That's why Glock came out with the 43x/48 - single stack - slimmer gun is a bit easier to conceal.

But if you can make it work - you do you.

Maybe the poster meant to say Glock 48? That would make much more sense for concealed carry. It's hard to keep all the model numbers straight.

I carry regularly when I'm in Florida, and I'm still having trouble believing that I'm going to get to carry in NJ!  I have a couple of belts designed for concealed carry, one black and one brown, but I've had them so long that I forgot the brand name.  I've been using an Alien Gear holster recently, but have also used a Galco and a Cross Breed Supertuck, IWB at 4:00.  I carry a Springfield Armory 9 mm XD Mod. 2 subcompact, which I leave in Florida.  I like that the grip safety should prevent an AD/ND if I happen to get a piece of clothing snagged in the trigger guard when reholstering.  I keep a spare mag in the lower support side pocket of a pair of cargo-type shorts.  (LAPG makes Everyday Joe shorts, which are a little neater looking and more streamlined than typical cargo shorts, so they keep my wife happier.) 

I plan to carry an SA 9 mm SC here, probably in one of the holsters I mentioned.  I'm going to need to figure out the nuances of carrying in colder weather with heavier clothing, which I presume makes concealment easier, but accessibility more difficult.  I consider that a nice problem to have. 

11 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

Anyone have a cz p01 I could try? Or know a range that has one to  rent?

sounds like a new thread for a range day... we all bring our hadngus so we call all try ones we don't have. 

Anyone have a VP9SK. I have a full size. 

5 hours ago, H2oVento said:

sounds like a new thread for a range day... we all bring our hadngus so we call all try ones we don't have. 

Anyone have a VP9SK. I have a full size. 

I don’t have a p-01 but I do have a cz75 compact. Essentially the same thing but with a steel frame and not an alloy frame so 4oz heavier. 

I do have a vp9sk. I think it shoots better then my full size vp9. Just my experience with the two. More accurate and better balanced. 

1 hour ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

I do have a vp9sk. I think it shoots better then my full size vp9. Just my experience with the two. More accurate and better balanced. 

I LOVE my VP9. Now I think I have to start shopping for a SK

24 minutes ago, samiam said:

Anyone shooting or have hands-on experience with the Ruger Max-9? If so, did you use the grip extender for the 10 round NJ mag? What did you think of the pistol in general? I have always liked Rugers from a value for the dollar POV. I'm thinking about supplementing my SP101 4" in .357 Mag with one of these. The price certainly seems right, and I've seen a couple of good reviews from reviewers that have at least a semblence of objectivity and credibility (not an easy thing to find these days). Also, the Tritium sight  looks nearly identical to what is on my revolver; I would consider that a plus. 

On 8/4/2022 at 1:32 PM, samiam said:

Very helpful, thanks! That pretty much corroborates the other two text reviews I read. One other thing that attracts me to this pistol (as someone who has shot only revolvers for pretty much forever) is that it allegedly has some kind of aperture allowing sight verification of a round in the chamber. I will need to check into that aspect more closely to see if that is really something that is useful, or mere marketing hype. 

The Loaded Chamber Indicator?  Basically it's a small witness hole cut into the barrel at the top of the barrel hood that you can look through - if you see brass - it's loaded.  The little notch here on the barrel (near top of image).

1C109B87-FD22-41F0-8875-4BE7D14E56FC.jpg

DSC02829.jpg

Two types of loaded chamber indicators. One has a small bar like piece raise up when a round is chambered, this is tactile confirmation and more useful in low light situations. The other is a simple hole on the slide top where you can visually check for a loaded round by seeing the brass. Semi's will have one or the other, since that Ruger is optics ready, I'd say it has the latter type.

5 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

Not exactly close, but could make a day of it

I'm located in Piscataway. Once this state gives me my permit (on day 40 of waiting) and i pick mine up we could meet up somewhere and you can shoot it. I'm a member of old Bridge rifle pistol. 

11 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm located in Piscataway. Once this state gives me my permit (on day 40 of waiting) and i pick mine up we could meet up somewhere and you can shoot it. I'm a member of old Bridge rifle pistol. 

Thank you for the offer. Very kind. I have a reg VP9, S&W M&P both 9mm and a Walther PPQ in .22 if anyone wants to shoot em. Time to put in for some pistol permits. I have my eye on a wheel gun as well

• Like 1