AintFromAroundHere

New from Connecticut

Hi there! Just moved to NJ for a job and, since I am retired AF I chose to live on base. I have a 2 guns (Rem 870 Wingmaster and Sig P226) and discovered I need a "Firearm ID card" to join my local range (Range 14 at Joint Base MDL.) When I got home to look into it I just got more confused. Being on base I have no idea what police department I'd need to use for the application. Anyone have any idea? My mailing address is JBMDL, NJ 08641. The town is Cookstown, but being on base...? The base has at least 4, maybe 5 different security forces (AF active, guard and reserve, plus the Navy.)

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

6 hours ago, AintFromAroundHere said:

Hi there! Just moved to NJ for a job and, since I am retired AF I chose to live on base. I have a 2 guns (Rem 870 Wingmaster and Sig P226) and discovered I need a "Firearm ID card" to join my local range (Range 14 at Joint Base MDL.) When I got home to look into it I just got more confused. Being on base I have no idea what police department I'd need to use for the application. Anyone have any idea? My mailing address is JBMDL, NJ 08641. The town is Cookstown, but being on base...? The base has at least 4, maybe 5 different security forces (AF active, guard and reserve, plus the Navy.)

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Greetings, I retired at, what was then, Fort Dix.  The 87th Security Squadron has an operations building on West Tuskegee Airmen Ave and Vandenberg Ave on McGuire Air Force Base.  There is also a police station on 8th Street opposite the main chapel on Army Support Activity (ASA) Dix.  At one time, the rules stated that when you moved on base (or post) you had to turn in your firearm at the police station where it was kept under lock and key.  If you wanted to hunt or use the MWR range, you would sign out the firearm you needed and turn it back in when you were finished.  I'm not sure if those rules are still in effect. 

Regarding the FID card, I would ask a DOD police officer how to go about getting one.  Many of them are retired police officers from nearby NJ towns and they might be able to help you.  Most of the security forces personnel are not familiar with NJ convoluted gun laws.  For future reference, the New Hanover Police Department happens to be located in Cookstown. 

Good luck!