MB24

Fishing question

Unless you are over 70 and a NJ resident, you need a license.

LICENSE EXCEPTIONS

Anglers Under 16 - No fishing license is required of persons under 16 years old.

NJ Residents Age 70 and Over - State residents 70 and older are exempt from fishing license and Trout Stamp requirements. A driver license or other acceptable proof of age containing date of birth and physical description will function as the actual fishing license/trout stamp for New Jersey residents 70 and over.

15 hours ago, MB24 said:

Even though I won't be fishing.

Well - Honestly if you touch a rod - you may be considered as fishing by a DFW staffer - not sure.  

There are a couple free fishing days - you missed the first one on June 4th - the next is Oct 22nd.  https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/ffd.htm#:~:text=Beginning in 2015%2C the NJ,Day is Saturday%2C October 22.

Do I need a license to help a child to fish?
That depends on the level of assistance. For baiting a hook or netting and
unhooking a fish, a license is not required. If you cast, retrieve or fight
the fish for a child, a license is required.

This is found on pg 11 of the 2020 NJ Freshwater Fishing Digest, although it is not mentioned in the 2022 digest.

Link here >>> https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2020/digfsh20.pdf

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, LiveWire said:

Do I need a license to help a child to fish?
That depends on the level of assistance. For baiting a hook or netting and
unhooking a fish, a license is not required. If you cast, retrieve or fight
the fish for a child, a license is required.

This is found on pg 11 of the 2020 NJ Freshwater Fishing Digest, although it is not mentioned in the 2022 digest.

Link here >>> https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/pdf/2020/digfsh20.pdf

I’d be assisting. I’ll just get the license and avoid the prison sentence. 

• Haha 1

Not prison, more like a fine haha. But the fishing license is only like $20 (12 if you’re a geezer) so it’s not the end of the world. Or you could fish tidal waters for free 

that being said I’ve never once been challenged for my fishing or hunting license 

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

that being said I’ve never once been challenged for my fishing or hunting license 

Sorry if I'm getting off subject, this reminds me of something that happened 40+ yrs ago. My brother in law & I go fishing one day, back when we were young and dumb.  For whatever reason he chose not to buy his license. No boat, fishing from the shore, my BIL gets his lure stuck in a tree. Well, here comes the game warden. "Do you have a fishing license?" the warden asks.  My BIL, without missing a beat, replies, "No sir, I'm trying to catch birds. Can't you see my lure's in the tree?"    The warden was not amused and issued a ticket anyway.  He did let me slide for not having my license displayed.

• Haha 1