byekryam

Best gun range in Northern NJ

Hey everyone

I did search, but didn't find any topics especially dedicated to this subject.  I haven't shot in a while, both recreationally and hunting, and would like to get back into both.  In northern NJ, what is the best all around gun ranges for shotgun, rifle, and handgun (archery would be a bonus too) which is cost effective as well?  Family oriented would also be desired.  I've been researching on the web but there's pro's and con's for every site and looking for more actual experience advice.

Thanks, Woody

45 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Cherry Ridge

It seems a toss up between them and Guns for Hire.  I really like the info about Cherry Ridge, but they seem to have more negative reviews than Guns for Hire, why do you think that is?  Your opinion on Guns for Hire?  How do they compare

Cherry Ridge checks all the boxes you mentioned.  It's nice, though a bit remote for many people.   Shongum (not really north Jersey) may also check all of the boxes, but I think they've got a waiting list to get in. SCFGPA also isn't north jersey, but it's got a nice indoor range and a nice archery range, plus an underground, two-port 100 yard high power rifle range (bench firing only).  Unfortunately they had to shut down their trap ranges many years ago, so no shotgun there.  

The commercial indoor ranges like Gun for Hire check most of your boxes, but no archery.   If you want to shoot clays, you'll need an outdoor range.   Also, many find shooting high power rifle indoors to be...unpleasant.  Plus, you are limited to shooting high power rifle at handgun distances.

7 minutes ago, 10X said:

Cherry Ridge checks all the boxes you mentioned.  It's nice, though a bit remote for many people.   Shongum (not really north Jersey) may also check all of the boxes, but I think they've got a waiting list to get in. SCFGPA also isn't north jersey, but it's got a nice indoor range and a nice archery range, plus an underground, two-port 100 yard high power rifle range (bench firing only).  Unfortunately they had to shut down their trap ranges many years ago, so no shotgun there.  

The commercial indoor ranges like Gun for Hire check most of your boxes, but no archery.   If you want to shoot clays, you'll need an outdoor range.   Also, many find shooting high power rifle indoors to be...unpleasant.  Plus, you are limited to shooting high power rifle at handgun distances.

10X,

Cherry Ridge isn't that remote to me as I live in Pequannock, so it's not that bad.  The others, other than Guns for Hire, are a bit of a travel.  And i did hear the one has quite an extensive waiting list.  And thanks, I get the limitations of Guns for Hire.  I'm going to have to do some more research on Cherry Ridge.  When I went to the site it's really wasn't clear like other sites on what the fees and membership costs were other than saying you have to go to their orientation night to get started.  I'm not sure whether that's where you get all those facts. 

Thanks again

23 minutes ago, byekryam said:

It seems a toss up between them and Guns for Hire.  I really like the info about Cherry Ridge, but they seem to have more negative reviews than Guns for Hire, why do you think that is?  Your opinion on Guns for Hire?  How do they compare

One is a members only outdoor range and the other is a public indoor range, so I can't imagine trying to make an apples to apples comparison between them.

With Cherry Ridge you're paying for access to the ranges they have.  No indoor range can compete with the kind of variety there, but in cold weather you have to bundle up if you want to use it.  You also need to bring your own guns, ammo, targets, bows, arrows, clays, etc, etc., so you have to be more prepared.

Gun For hire is about the best indoor experience you'll get, and you can go regardless of the weather.  They have rentals, ammo, accessories, and even a store now, so they'll cover whatever you need.  It''s mainly a pistol range, so you're don't get a lot of value for rifle, shotgun, (or archery) IMO.

GFH is also more expensive, so you need to factor that in if you're on a budget.

Honestly you should just visit them and see which one would be the best fit for your situation.

Of get a membership at both...

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, byekryam said:

10X,

Cherry Ridge isn't that remote to me as I live in Pequannock, so it's not that bad.  The others, other than Guns for Hire, are a bit of a travel.  And i did hear the one has quite an extensive waiting list.  And thanks, I get the limitations of Guns for Hire.  I'm going to have to do some more research on Cherry Ridge.  When I went to the site it's really wasn't clear like other sites on what the fees and membership costs were other than saying you have to go to their orientation night to get started.  I'm not sure whether that's where you get all those facts. 

Thanks again

Cherry Ridge membership fees - https://www.anjrpc.org/general/register_member_type.asp

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, byekryam said:

10X,

Thanks again

The Cherry Ridge membership options are here:  https://www.anjrpc.org/general/register_member_type.asp.  The orientation sessions are now on Tuesday evenings, virtual only.

Your closest range option would be Riverdale:  https://riverdalepistol.org/   It has a very nice 25 yard indoor range, but it is handgun and .22 rifle only, so no options for high power rifle, shotgun, or archery.

• Agree 1

Might b helpful, and more cost effective than the others. Phillipsburg pistol range offers indoor and outdoor pistol ranges for a fairly modest price. As for rifle, NJ state hunting ranges now allow rifles up to .30 cal for the cost of a hunting/fishing license; not bad for an outdoor 100yd. range. I believe most state ranges also have provisions for DIY shotgun and archery.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

One is a members only outdoor range and the other is a public indoor range, so I can't imagine trying to make an apples to apples comparison between them.

With Cherry Ridge you're paying for access to the ranges they have.  No indoor range can compete with the kind of variety there, but in cold weather you have to bundle up if you want to use it.  You also need to bring your own guns, ammo, targets, bows, arrows, clays, etc, etc., so you have to be more prepared.

Gun For hire is about the best indoor experience you'll get, and you can go regardless of the weather.  They have rentals, ammo, accessories, and even a store now, so they'll cover whatever you need.  It''s mainly a pistol range, so you're don't get a lot of value for rifle, shotgun, (or archery) IMO.

GFH is also more expensive, so you need to factor that in if you're on a budget.

Honestly you should just visit them and see which one would be the best fit for your situation.

Of get a membership at both...

Unfortunately I can't afford both....  I do agree with the visiting both and seeing part, and I do agree that Cherry Ridge seems the better more inclusive option.  Thanks for the details

4 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thank you, I will check it out tomorrow as my bedtime draws near.....  Somehow before I could not find this info.  Have a good night

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

The Cherry Ridge membership options are here:  https://www.anjrpc.org/general/register_member_type.asp.  The orientation sessions are now on Tuesday evenings, virtual only.

Your closest range option would be Riverdale:  https://riverdalepistol.org/   It has a very nice 25 yard indoor range, but it is handgun and .22 rifle only, so no options for high power rifle, shotgun, or archery.

Thanks, will check it out tomorrow, have a good night

3 minutes ago, RichP said:

Might b helpful, and more cost effective than the others. Phillipsburg pistol range offers indoor and outdoor pistol ranges for a fairly modest price. As for rifle, NJ state hunting ranges now allow rifles up to .30 cal for the cost of a hunting/fishing license; not bad for an outdoor 100yd. range. I believe most state ranges also have provisions for DIY shotgun and archery.

Yeah Phillipsburg is quite a drive for me, but appreciate the info.  And yes I just found out that some of the WMA sites do allow the rifle.  Unfortunately the ones that do are a distance from me vs. the nearer ones 

Been a member at cherry ridge for 10+ years. 

I have not a single negative thing to say about the place. 

In fact, I just renewed my membership. GFH and RTSP are too rich for my blood with their membership costs and additional range use fees.

• Agree 1

Shongum, which I am a current member since 2014, does have a waiting list but it is totally worth it. It has a 100 yrds rifle, 25 yrds outdor pistol pit, shotgun trap fields, archery range, land for hunting and an indoor pistol range. Put your name on the list and one day you will get a pleasant surprise. 

Meanwhile you could consider RTSP, they have two locations (Randolph and Union). 25 and 50 yards ranges. Their membership scheme is such that you pay one reasonable amount for year and you don’t have to pay anything more when you go to the range (unless you are bringing guests). I’m also a member of this place and attend regularly.

Gun For Hire is also great but the membership only gives you a discounted rate when you attend the range, and a few more perks. 

Cherry Ridge has great facilities but I personally couldn’t get along with the way the Range Officers run the place. Let’s say that people skills aren’t their thing. I was a member there for a year. 

I you are willing to drive more there’s some affordable ranges in Pennsylvania. 

Hope this helps. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Been a member at cherry ridge for 10+ years. 

I have not a single negative thing to say about the place. 

In fact, I just renewed my membership. GFH and RTSP are too rich for my blood with their membership costs and additional range use fees.

RTSP does not have additional cost when you attend the range once you are a member. The limit your times to blocks of one hour but if it isn’t crowded you can ask for another. The do charge you for guest, with the membership they give you five free passes for guests after that they pay as a walk in

• Agree 1

I've been to Gun For Hire a few times.

Gun For Hire is great: knowledgeable, courteous staff, comfortable lanes, and many interesting classes if you're into that. I don't have a membership because it's just too expensive especially to STILL pay range fees afterwards, so I just pay for the rental if I go.

I'm considering a membership at Reloaderz because you can get as many 2 hour blocks as you want for a $50/month membership. It's very comparable to Gun for Hire. Indoor ranges work well for me since I can just duck in for an hour during the week.

I heard many good things about Cherry Ridge. I've thought about it but it's twice as far from me so I haven't tried it yet. It has a lot to offer.

• Agree 1

I'm a member at both GFH and CR, and I love them both.  (Unlike with women, you don't have to pick only one.)  The latter only costs $130 a year for my senior membership.  There are no daily charges, so you can shoot there as long as you want, until you run out of time or ammo.  My gold level membership at GFH is four times that, but it's a great range, the people are terrific, and it's comfortable when it's really cold outside.  If you don't want to plunk down that kind of dough, you could just go and pay the daily fee, which I believe is $25 an hour for the 25 yard range, and a bit more for the 50.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, HuntingPaper said:

RTSP does not have additional cost when you attend the range once you are a member. The limit your times to blocks of one hour but if it isn’t crowded you can ask for another. The do charge you for guest, with the membership they give you five free passes for guests after that they pay as a walk in

I like RTSP close to my house. 

13 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

All above good choices, there's  one actually an indoor that's closer that I've gone you many times, and never had an issue eith, Try Reloadez on route 23.

Reloaderz is two minutes from me (practically around the corner), just heard it was a little more expensive than others.  I actually had one of my last guns shipped there.

13 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Gun For Hire is great: knowledgeable, courteous staff, comfortable lanes, and many interesting classes if you're into that. I don't have a membership because it's just too expensive especially to STILL pay range fees afterwards, so I just pay for the rental if I go.

I'm considering a membership at Reloaderz because you can get as many 2 hour blocks as you want for a $50/month membership. It's very comparable to Gun for Hire. Indoor ranges work well for me since I can just duck in for an hour during the week.

I heard many good things about Cherry Ridge. I've thought about it but it's twice as far from me so I haven't tried it yet. It has a lot to offer.

Yes, it seems a strong argument between Cherry Ridge and Guns for Hire.  Reloaderz is just very "convenient".  I'm going to, as was suggested here, try them all out and then make a decision.  I'm hoping I can do a visitor trial at each...

13 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Out of all the reviews I read on line, Guns for Hire seem the most personable and Cherry Ridge seems the most variation 

21 hours ago, HuntingPaper said:

Shongum, which I am a current member since 2014, does have a waiting list but it is totally worth it. It has a 100 yrds rifle, 25 yrds outdor pistol pit, shotgun trap fields, archery range, land for hunting and an indoor pistol range. Put your name on the list and one day you will get a pleasant surprise. 

Meanwhile you could consider RTSP, they have two locations (Randolph and Union). 25 and 50 yards ranges. Their membership scheme is such that you pay one reasonable amount for year and you don’t have to pay anything more when you go to the range (unless you are bringing guests). I’m also a member of this place and attend regularly.

Gun For Hire is also great but the membership only gives you a discounted rate when you attend the range, and a few more perks. 

Cherry Ridge has great facilities but I personally couldn’t get along with the way the Range Officers run the place. Let’s say that people skills aren’t their thing. I was a member there for a year. 

I you are willing to drive more there’s some affordable ranges in Pennsylvania. 

Hope this helps. 

I did investigation today and didn't realize Shongum was in northern NJ, I thought Mansfield was in southern NJ.  This might be an option.....

10 hours ago, byekryam said:

I did investigation today and didn't realize Shongum was in northern NJ, I thought Mansfield was in southern NJ.  This might be an option.....

It all depends on how much you want to shoot. RTSP for me as I shoot once every 2 weeks sometimes more. If your a once a mounth person it might not be worth it. My co-worker is a memeber at cherry ridge and invited me. I can't wait to give it a go. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

It all depends on how much you want to shoot. RTSP for me as I shoot once every 2 weeks sometimes more. If your a once a mounth person it might not be worth it. My co-worker is a memeber at cherry ridge and invited me. I can't wait to give it a go. 

I doubt it will be every week, but I would like to do it once a month.  Not only is it enjoyable, but I also think it's necessary to be proficient both in hunting and more.

I have a lot of homework ahead of me...

2 hours ago, byekryam said:

I doubt it will be every week, but I would like to do it once a month.  Not only is it enjoyable, but I also think it's necessary to be proficient both in hunting and more.

I have a lot of homework ahead of me...

Than I would just pay as you go and visit all the places. 

• Agree 1

On 6/26/2022 at 8:40 PM, byekryam said:

Cherry Ridge if you like the outdoors. They have every base covered. 

• Agree 1