gleninjersey

Concealed Carry Handguns

So now that it's a reality, what are some recommendations for some good carry guns?

I currently have a CZ P01.  It's a little heavy (28.1 oz unloaded) put could be carried.  Pros, it's a CZ.  I shoot it pretty well.  If round capacity restrictions are struck down I can easily buy standard 14 round mags for it.

I also recently held a Glock 43X.  It weighs 18.7 oz unloaded).  It comes with 10 round mags but there are 15 round aftermarket ones available if things ever change.

I've also recently discovered the CZ P-10 Micro-Compact.  It's smaller and lighter (20.1 oz) than my PO1 but only holds 7 rounds.  Being a CZ fan it caught my eye.

So what are you carrying if you have been carrying.  And what are some suggestions for a carry gun?

In my previous Pennsylvania life, I would often pocket carry.  In 2020 I spent 2 weeks vacation in Mississippi and Tennessee and pretty much carried everywhere.  It was great.  If you felt the ground shake in August of that year, it was because New Jersey residents visited Jefferson Davis' home in Biloxi. 

Back to reality....

I will assume that it would be difficult to qualify with a pocket pistol that has a 10 yard range on a good day.

But I have back up plans...

• Like 1

Depends on time of year.....and what I would be wearing.

Hipower IWB can be done all year long with the right pair of shorts/belt and/or pants...a proper belt is your friend no matter what you carry.

M&P 45 midsize is a great pistol...45acp and a perfect size...full size grip 10shot 45acp and a 3.xx barrel...  doesn't weigh that much...  a good iwb holster and a proper belt...it disappears.

I've noted before that I really like the SA XD-S.   You can get them in 9 mm, .40 (used market, I think they dropped these from the current lineup), or .45, though I've no experience with the larger versions.  I think the 9 mm is the sweet spot with this gun.  There is an option for optics-ready, though I prefer the iron sights, and the guns do have a short rail underneath for a light.  All variations have a grip safety, but no external thumb safety.  There is just enough steel in these guns to give them a reassuring heft and reduce muzzle rise, and I find them to be extremely accurate for their size. 

https://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-series-handguns/xd-s-mod-2-osp-handguns/

The flush magazine holds 7 rounds of 9 mm, if extra length doesn't hurt concealability for you, there are 8 and 9 round magazines available--which also improve the grip, as you can get your little finger solidly onto the gun.

Specs on the iron-sighted 9 are: 3.3" bbl, 6.3" overall length, 4.4" high with flush mag, 0.9" wide.  Weigth 21.5 oz.  MSRP $440

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 9.17.39 AM.png

• Agree 2

I carry a Springfield Armory XD Mod. 2 9mm subcompact when I'm in Florida.  I will probably carry a similar gun (not Mod. 2) here, although I would also consider my G19 or G26.  I guess one would need to decide in advance, as it seems our carry permit is restricted to one gun.  Many of my shooting buddies in Florida have a G43X, which they all seem to like. 

7 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I carry a Springfield Armory XD Mod. 2 9mm subcompact when I'm in Florida.  I will probably carry a similar gun (not Mod. 2) here, although I would also consider my G19 or G26.  I guess one would need to decide in advance, as it seems our carry permit is restricted to one gun.  Many of my shooting buddies in Florida have a G43X, which they all seem to like. 

It's not clear yet, but the wording is you need to qualify with it, which could mean multiple. 

Glock 26 in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.5 IWB.  They don't always get a lot of love but I find the holster extremely comfortable and it has worn well over the last 4 years.

When I need a more athletic carry solution I use a Maxpedition Octa Versapack with a UM Tactical trigger guard.

In cooler weather I may opt for my older S&W M&P 9mm using the same carry holsters.

• Like 1

I’m going to do the qualification this Thursday at RTSP in Randolph. Gonna be using my S&W 642 (this will be my light weight everyday carry option. You can carry an airweight j frame multiple ways of carry) and my S&W M&P 40c Gen 1 (10 +1 rounds in a compact, controllable package with a light rail which should fit a TLR 7A weapon light when it comes in the mail). I’m going to be carrying appendix inside the waistband, but have an outside the waistband holster for the M&Pc but I need to look for one for my J frame for qualification.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, JackDaWack said:

It's not clear yet, but the wording is you need to qualify with it, which could mean multiple. 

I am qualifying tomorrow 7/6/2022 and just clarified with them about multiple firearms. I will shoot my Shield Plus to qualify and they will record the serial numbers of another gun I bring to verify the serial number only, add it to my certification from the instructor. The XD-s 4" Mod 2 OSP I ordered has not arrived in time. I plan on adding my Ruger LCPll and Bersa Thunder .380's. 

56 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I am qualifying tomorrow 7/6/2022 and just clarified with them about multiple firearms. I will shoot my Shield Plus to qualify and they will record the serial numbers of another gun I bring to verify the serial number only, add it to my certification from the instructor. The XD-s 4" Mod 2 OSP I ordered has not arrived in time. I plan on adding my Ruger LCPll and Bersa Thunder .380's. 

Where is this?

Winter = AIWB Zev OZ9 in Tier1 Axis Elite with +5 spare mag 
Summer = AIWB G48MOS in Tier1 Axis Elite with +5 spare mag

The small difference in gun size makes a big difference in printing with a fitted t-shirt in the summer.

It mostly depends on your size.  If you're 6'-8" and 320lbs you can easily conceal a 1911 on you.  If you're 5' and 120lbs then even a G43 will print. 

My wife carries a G43X and it's about as big as she can go before she prints. 

12 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

Any thoughts on mouse guns?

I like the fact that this is small enough to carry in a pocket, as well as being rally light.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/pistols/p32/

Maybe I'm pre-judging, but I would be very reluctant to trust my life to a product from Keltec. They come up with some novel stuff, but the execution has been shown to be lacking too many times.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

I'm open to other options.

Small and light is what I am going after.

I'm a fan of 9mm.

Image Name Rating Price
Best-9MM-pistols-MP-2.0-1024x576.jpg Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 stars-4-7.png
(4.7/5.0)
$419
best-concealed-carry-guns-sig-P365.png Sig Sauer P365 stars-4-7.png
(4.7/5.0)
$649
best-subcompact-9mm-pistols-glock43-.png Glock 43 stars-4-5.png
(4.4/5.0)
$399
best-subcompact-9mm-pistols-walther-pps. Walther PPS stars-4-7.png
(4.7/5.0)
$549
best-handguns-for-beginners-Springfield- Springfield XD-S stars-4-7.png
(4.8/5.0)
$459
Sig-P938-SAS-9mm-Micro-Compact-Pistol.jp Sig Sauer P938 stars-4-3.png
(4.3/5.0)
$699
Springfield-Hellcat-9mm-Pistol.jpg Springfield Hellcat stars-4-5.png
(4.5/5.0)
$529
Best-handguns-for-beginners-Taurus-G2C.j Taurus G3C stars-4-3.png
(4.3/5.0)
$299
Glock-G19-Gen5-9mm-Pistol.jpg Glock 19 stars-4-5.png
(4.6/5.0)
$649

Here are some .380.

•  

Pistol Length/(Barrel Length) Height Slide Width Weight Capacity Action Type Thumb Safety Price
Kahr CW380

Kahr CW380

4.96 in / (2.58 in) 3.9 in 0.75 in 10.2 oz 6 Striker Fired   $298.99
Ruger LCP II

Ruger LCP II

5.17 in / (2.75 in) 3.71 in 0.75 in 10.6 oz 6 SA Hammer Fired   $299.99
SIG Sauer P238

SIG Sauer P238

5.5 in / (2.7 in) 3.9 in 0.818 in 15.2 oz 6 SA Hammer Fired $599.99
Glock 42

Glock 42

5.94 in / (3.25 in) 4.13 in 0.83 12.17 oz 6 Striker Fired   $399.99
Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380

S&W Bodyguard 380

5.3 in / (2.75 in) 3.78 in 0.75 in 12.3 oz 6 DAO Hammer Fired $349.99
Walther PPK

Walther PPK

6.1 in / (3.3 in) 3.8 in 0.865 in 22.1 oz 6 DA/SA Hammer Fired $629.99
Beretta Pico

Beretta Pico

5.1 in / (2.7 in) 4 in 0.725 in 11.5 oz 6 DAO Hammer Fired   $278.00
Colt Mustang Lite

Colt Mustang Lite

5.5 in / (2.75 in) 3.98 in 0.752 in 13.7 oz 6 SA Hammer Fired $499.99

12 minutes ago, Fred2 said:

I'm open to other options.

Small and light is what I am going after.

It depends heavily on the size of your hand.  Small pistols are not comfortable to shoot, at least for me, if my pinky is hanging off the bottom of the grip.  I find the G19 grip length to be perfect for me which is why I carry an OZ9c in the winter and G48mos in the summer.  

When I carry the G48 I have 16+1 in the gun and 20 on the side, it's not very heavy.  With the BS 10rd mags in NJ I bet it would be lighter still. 

The 48MOS with a Holosun 407K and a Shield Arms magwell + (1)10rd mag + 11rd of 124gr HST is 26oz.  That's not really bad at all.  Im sure my wife's 43X is even less but I can weigh that now since it's on her.  The 43 would be even less still. 

1 hour ago, Fred2 said:

Any thoughts on mouse guns?

I like the fact that this is small enough to carry in a pocket, as well as being rally light.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearm/pistols/p32/

Looks like a ruger LCP... I would go with that over keltec

• Agree 1

I'm considering the hammerless airlite or airweight options from S&W. Eg: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-340pd?sku=163062

I recently looked at a Ruger LCR. Of all the things, I hate having to depress the cylinder release to lock the cylinder back in.

Otherwise, my PPK fits me well.

18 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm considering the hammerless airlite or airweight options from S&W. Eg: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-340pd?sku=163062

Have you ever shot one? They are a little handful of hate, especially with magnum loads. You will not enjoy practicing with it.

I strongly suggest trying before buying.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I recently looked at a Ruger LCR. Of all the things, I hate having to depress the cylinder release to lock the cylinder back in.

Otherwise, my PPK fits me well.

I like the PPK, just wish it was lighter.

The PPK with the aluminum frame in 7.65 is too nice of a gun to daily carry.

6 hours ago, Fred2 said:

I like the PPK, just wish it was lighter.

The PPK with the aluminum frame in 7.65 is too nice of a gun to daily carry.

My PPKS is ridiculously accurate and easy to shoot.  The size is fine for me but it really is the weight,  at least for summer carry.

I'm with you on the L model being too nice (and expensive and rare) to carry. I have a 69 IIRC PP .32 that I prefer the feel of, but I won't carry it for similar reasons.

For me, the carry options are: Beretta 85bb, SA Hellcat RDP, PPKS in winter, or I may add a p365x to the fray and carry that...I'm not overly concerned with capacity or caliber

I like the Ruger LCP Max but am looking to keep something slightly larger on my person 

On 7/27/2022 at 10:50 AM, Mr.Stu said:

Have you ever shot one? They are a little handful of hate, especially with magnum loads. You will not enjoy practicing with it.

I strongly suggest trying before buying.

I do reccomend trying it out before buying. I have a 642 that I can get through 100 rounds before my hand starts to hurt with the stock boot grips. I changed out the grips to a Pachmayer compac grips. Fills my hand well, handles the recoil of the airweight and I am able to conceal it well with minimun printing with a harry's holster icon holster with the clothing I usually wear.