gleninjersey

Concealed Carry Handguns

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm having a tough time concealing my hk without printing. Is printing illegal or just frowned upon?

It's not egregious, I just know the gun is there so I can pick up in it while looking in the mirror. 

NJ does not require concealed carry.  Open carry (with a carry permit) is legal.  You don't need to keep your gun hidden at all - although I personally think doing so is a good idea.

• Agree 2

IMO - If you are carrying a gun, you should always have an extra mag, comms (cell phone works here) and a flashlight (cellphone does not work here) on you, minimal. A second spare mag and some kind of medical, including a TQ, is also good to have nearby (at least in a bag in your vehicle) if not on your person.

Everyone has their own take on it. You do what makes you feel prepared.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

IMO if you think 28 ounces is too heavy  carry a water gun. I've carried a full size 1911, Beretta 92, G17, and a 4" k frame under a tshirt. Printing?  99.99% of people don't notice printing.  That includes LEOs.

I've only been carrying a gun for almost 50 years. WTF do I know.

4 hours ago, High Exposure said:

IMO - If you are carrying a gun, you should always have an extra mag, comms (cell phone works here) and a flashlight (cellphone does not work here) on you, minimal. A second spare mag and some kind of medical, including a TQ, is also good to have nearby (at least in a bag in your vehicle) if not on your person.

Everyone has their own take on it. You do what makes you feel prepared.

@High Exposure agree with you 100%. I can use my belt as a tourniquet and usually carry a clotting sponge. Id add one thing. Most confrontations you may encounter dont require lethal force.  As the old saying goes if you see every problem as a nail you'll use a hammer (your gun).

You need to carry a less than lethal alternative.  I carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster.

YMMV

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

When traveling out of state I carried a Shield 2.0 and carried an extra mag. Now I have the Shield Plus & just added a Springfield XDS with 9 rounds. With CCW now legal in NJ I will just carry locally without extra mags but take one traveling the state. There are times I have just been out and around with a Ruger LCPII .380 with 7 rounds and a spare.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

I believe the most common single part of the gun to fail is the magazine - some consider them consumables as springs and feed lips do wear. It is always a good idea to have a spare with you.

100% 

Primary reason for the spare mags is insurance for magazine induced malfunctions.

Secondary reason is increased capacity due to limitations either by law (10 round limit) or by design (the smaller frames handguns).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm having a tough time concealing my hk without printing. Is printing illegal or just frowned upon?

It's not egregious, I just know the gun is there so I can pick up in it while looking in the mirror. 

Sometimes it comes down to the clothing.  Try wearing a plaid shirt with dark colors to hide the lines of your concealed firearm. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 5:22 PM, Cheflife15 said:

I print all the time since I wear a size small shirt. DGAF. 

Don’t forget that just because you know you’re printing because you know what is under your shirt doesn’t mean others know what to look for. The overwhelming majority of people are incredibly ignorant and unaware of their surroundings.

You do you dude and F everyone else.  

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

100% 

Primary reason for the spare mags is insurance for magazine induced malfunctions.

Secondary reason is increased capacity due to limitations either by law (10 round limit) or by design (the smaller frames handguns).

I’m not in NJ anymore and I still carry a spare mag. 15+1 in the gun and 20 in the spare. 

If we ever really get these permits I’m carrying two extra mags so I can have 31 rounds. One in the side of the holster and one in my pocket. 

Gonna need a new holster since mine is made for +5 Shield Arms mags,  may not work with factory G48 mags. 

I got an XD-S Mod.2 OSP for CC.  With the extended 9round mag, it feels good in both hands.  It is very comfortable to carry and doesn't print.  I could easily EDC it.  But I am pretty disappointed in my accuracy with it.  I have larger full size Glock 17 with the same RDS as the XDS and a 1911 with iron sights that I feel I am really accurate with.  Let's say my grouping is 2" with those, it would be 5" with the XD-S.  Maybe I just need to put more rounds through it to get used to it (already have over 250 through it).  

I really like my Glock 17, but it's too big to IWB carry.  Thinking of getting a Shadow Systems MR920 (fancy Glock 19) with optics if I just can't get used to or feel comfortable shooting the XD-S.  I really liked the grip safety of the XD-S and was the main reason I chose that gun though.  Unfortunately, I think the M&P Sheild EZ is the only other compact polymer gun with a grip safety, but it is not optics ready which is a must for me. 

Any other smaller polymer frame guns with grip safety and RDS ready?  Any other suggestions even if they don't fit that criterion?  

On 7/23/2022 at 11:47 AM, Cheflife15 said:

Just purchased a hk vp9sk. I rented it at ttc and was able to put 10 shots on target at the furthest distance. Feels amazing in hand. It's my only striker fired pistol and I love it. 

Was thinking about that as a carry as I love my VP9. So accurate.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Super easy to shoot. The thickness drives me a bit nuts. I also liked the glock 43x and the m and p performance center shield

I just bought the M&P shield 2.0 Performance Center.  It's the single stack 8 round but really small and should conceal nicely.

23 hours ago, H2oVento said:

Was thinking about that as a carry as I love my VP9. So accurate.

I'm also planning to get a vp9sk, once my permits come in.

I was finally able to conceel my VP9 with minimal printing under a thin tshirt, but only while standing and AIWB. I never thought I would be able to appendix carry with my big gut, but it acually works. The only problem is when I sit, my gut pushes the gun out for the whole world to see

m9A3-Black_listing001.png

Berreta M93A - it may be bigger than most people feel comfortable with, but I love it. I used to carry the 1990 predecessor which was about the same size for a couple of years. My rational is, I'm not going to be carrying all the time, as I still feel pretty safe in ole NJ, but when I do decide to carry, I want to carry the gun I trust and am comfortable using. 

On 8/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, Tunaman said:

I just bought the M&P shield 2.0 Performance Center.  It's the single stack 8 round but really small and should conceal nicely.

Have that but 1.0. Throw in the magguts +1 (or +2) kit and get that extra round or two in there!

31 minutes ago, MikeL said:

Have that but 1.0. Throw in the magguts +1 (or +2) kit and get that extra round or two in there!

I bought two more 8 rounders so I should be good.  If I need anymore than 24 we are in bigger trouble anyway!:D

On 8/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, MartyZ said:

I'm also planning to get a vp9sk, once my permits come in.

I was finally able to conceel my VP9 with minimal printing under a thin tshirt, but only while standing and AIWB. I never thought I would be able to appendix carry with my big gut, but it acually works. The only problem is when I sit, my gut pushes the gun out for the whole world to see

I am now reconsidering my choice of carry pistols. I love my VP9, and I'm sure I will love the VP9SK. But if I'm going to carry AIWB, I don't feel confortable with a loaded striker fired pistols pointing at my junk. I know, I'm paranoid, but that's just the way I am.

So I'm now considering the P30SK da/sa with safety. I'm an HK junkie, and I'm used to this exact setup with my USP45 V1. As a matter of fact I am also considering getting an HK45C da/sa with safety for the colder months.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I am now reconsidering my choice of carry pistols. I love my VP9, and I'm sure I will love the VP9SK. But if I'm going to carry AIWB, I don't feel confortable with a loaded striker fired pistols pointing at my junk. I know, I'm paranoid, but that's just the way I am.

So I'm now considering the P30SK da/sa with safety. I'm an HK junkie, and I'm used to this exact setup with my USP45 V1. As a matter of fact I am also considering getting an HK45C da/sa with safety for the colder months.

Why are you more concerned with a striker fired gun than a hammer fired one? Both rely on the sear to keep the firing pin from striking the primer.

Both the VP9 and the P30, in addition to the sear, have a striker/firing pin safety block which prevents the striker/firing pin moving forward unless the trigger has been pressed to move the safety block out of the way.

If I was to be concerned in this area at all, it would be between a series 70 1911 and a series 80.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Why are you more concerned with a striker fired gun than a hammer fired one? Both rely on the sear to keep the firing pin from striking the primer.

Both the VP9 and the P30, in addition to the sear, have a striker/firing pin safety block which prevents the striker/firing pin moving forward unless the trigger has been pressed to move the safety block out of the way.

If I was to be concerned in this area at all, it would be between a series 70 1911 and a series 80.

I've seen to many stories of clothing getting stuck in the trigger guard when holstering. Not an issue with a safety.

51 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I've seen to many stories of clothing getting stuck in the trigger guard when holstering. Not an issue with a safety.

That's more to do with operator error, than a gun issue.

Relying on a manual safety to save you from incorrect gun/holster manipulation is not the answer, IMO.

• Agree 3