CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

17 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

If I answered yes to 26,  I would answer yes or no to 27.  Otherwise, I would write N/A for does not apply.

My answer to 26 is No, so I'm going to leave 27 blank.  Neither yes or no make sense unless you answered yes to 26.

• Agree 1

Now that some of us submitted the paperwork, does anyone how the process works ? Do we get calls, emails or pick up stuff from PD and then goto Court or stuff magically shows up in the mail (wish).  Appreciate insight from someone who has gone through NJ CCW before.

18 hours ago, CJack said:

Submitted my application today at local PD. They were very accommodating.  I showed up at the scheduled time.   Same requirements as listed in NJSP site. The officer made copies of the passport, DL, firearm ownership (P2P). On to scheduling fingerprinting. PD gave me a "Contributor Case #" that has no name etc, just numbers. The officer said its their own internal tracking # and its better that way.

Application Date: Jul 7th, 2022
Requirements: As noted in NJSP standard application
Quals Included: HCQ-1 and Use Of Force  (RealoaderZNJ Range)
Finger Printing Date: Pending

Finger Printing Date: Jul 8th, 2022

3 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I do blame Nappen, while capitalism rules, and I am all for it....he and others like him have profited very well over the plight of NJ Gun owners.....

That was my point of an similar post....at least Colandro is charging a fair and equitable amount of money for the quals...

That attorneys price is egregious IMO....for what might ought NOT need to be done.  Talk about taking advantage - what about the poor woman single two kids that needs a CCW, is he going to 'rape' her financially too?

Caveat emptor

There is a reason I take everything Nappen says with a grain of salt... 

• Agree 1

Remember, there are VERY FEW real sheepdogs out there. You can count them on single hand. Even those have to feed on sheep once-in-a-while or risk starving to death.  Rest is all wolves, wolves in sheep clothing, sheep that eat other sheep etc.  Complaining about wont solve a thing. Become a sheepdog if you are so willing to fight. But remember, you too end up feeding on sheep once-in-a-while, for otherwise starvation would be the end.

Two more questions for anyone that’s submitted their app..

1.       the muni code is the ORI # as used on handgun apps, correct?

2.       since the app is a fillable PDF do you think it be OK to fill in the three references information minus their signing date and signature, or play it safe and just the references fill their entire block in?

TIA 

6 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Two more questions for anyone that’s submitted their app..

1.       the muni code is the ORI # as used on handgun apps, correct?

2.       since the app is a fillable PDF do you think it be OK to fill in the three references information minus their signing date and signature, or play it safe and just the references fill their entire block in?

TIA 

1. Yes

2. Thats exactly what I did.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, samiam said:

You may claim to believe in "capitalism" but your answer denies the way a free market operates. A "fair price" is what the market will bear. Nobody is being forced to buy the service Nappen offered. He is free to sell his time for whatever price he chooses, and he is free to go without income if there are no takers. The only way I could fault him for profiting from NJ's despicable denial of rights would be if he was somehow encouraging or aiding those denials (e.g., helping Murphy or Scutari get elected, contributing to Everytown, etc.) at the same time he was profiting. If anyone has any evidence of that, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it. For that matter, it seems to me that Wayne LaPierre and the NRA have profited quite handsomely from gun control. 

Except that when the government limits entry into a particular occupation, like law, it's no longer a free market.

I'm not suggesting that commerce should be completely unregulated but if it really was a free market, I could be a lawyer and so could you.  The price of lawyering would drop significantly.  And then the free market would decide who were the good lawyers that charged a reasonable price and eliminate the bad ones or the ones that charged too much.

17 minutes ago, samiam said:

You may claim to believe in "capitalism" but your answer denies the way a free market operates. A "fair price" is what the market will bear. Nobody is being forced to buy the service Nappen offered. He is free to sell his time for whatever price he chooses, and he is free to go without income if there are no takers. The only way I could fault him for profiting from NJ's despicable denial of rights would be if he was somehow encouraging or aiding those denials (e.g., helping Murphy or Scutari get elected, contributing to Everytown, etc.) at the same time he was profiting. If anyone has any evidence of that, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it. For that matter, it seems to me that Wayne LaPierre and the NRA have profited quite handsomely from gun control. 

How familiar are you with him? He does a lot of fear mongering, case and point. 

And a lot of people have issues with the NRA profiteering. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I do blame Nappen, while capitalism rules, and I am all for it....he and others like him have profited very well over the plight of NJ Gun owners.....

That was my point of an similar post....at least Colandro is charging a fair and equitable amount of money for the quals...

That attorneys price is egregious IMO....for what might ought NOT need to be done.  Talk about taking advantage - what about the poor woman single two kids that needs a CCW, is he going to 'rape' her financially too?

Caveat emptor

Only reason Evan is doing this is because people are bombarding him with requests for free legal advice. So why not make some money, or discourage people from asking and maybe motivate them to do their own research.

IOW, it's a stupid tax, plain and simple. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, CJack said:

thanks that one is easy enough to fix, I always thought of it as the back end of the zip code and as noted a key # for your 1040 forms

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

No.

OK then what's acceptableI'm guessing the CCW Intro Class at RTSP is a no-starter as well.

2 minutes ago, FXDX said:

thanks that one is easy enough to fix, I always thought of it as the back end of the zip code and also a key # for the 1040 forms  

OK then what's acceptableI'm guessing the CCW Intro Class at RTSP is a no-starter as well.

Are you planning on submitting the training course in addition to the course of fire qual or alone on its own ?

13 minutes ago, CJack said:

Are you planning on submitting the training course in addition to the course of fire qual or alone on its own ?

I was going to try and attend the range qualification next week or the week after. As of now as you could probably guess  I’m just trying to sort out what they actually require.  Going for broke here, is the range qualification the certification?  So are you suggesting something like an NRA Pistol Cert is just an add-on? Thanks for your help

2 minutes ago, FXDX said:

I was going to try and attend the range qualification next week or the week after. As of now as you could probably guess  I’m just trying to sort out what they actually require.  Going for broke here, is the range qualification the certification?  So are you suggesting something like an NRA Pistol Cert is just an add-on? Thanks for your help

AFAIK just the range qual. This can always change, but from what I was told it’s the qual.

What did armed guards and other permit to carry holders submit in the past? Those requirements shouldn’t have changed. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Just do the qualification (the GFH, ReloaderZ, RTSP or whatever is offering, preferably from a place listed in NJSP Firearms RPO quals page) at minimum. IF you already have proof of NRA Basic Pistol or whatever, you may just ADD a copy of that, but I personally would not go spending money on any more "training courses".

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FXDX said:

Another question,  for those in the know does the NRA Basic Pistol course cert satisfy the states firearms training course requirement?

TIA

are you a NRA Certified Instructor or just have the course credentials.........

Here is what officially qualifies as evidence of familiarity with firearms:

According to the Firearm Applicant Investigation Guidebook by the NJSP that is used by all local PDs and NJSP when issuing FIDs, P2P,s and Carry Permits...

"The applicant must produce evidence he or she is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns. This may be evidenced in one of several ways:
a. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S. 2C: 39-6.j;
b. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;
c. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
d. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor

According to NJ Administrative Code (NJAC) 13:45-2.4

(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by:
1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;
2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.

(c) The information in (b) above shall be accompanied and validated by certifications of the appropriate instructor(s).

Items (b) and (2) don't explain what the course of fire is. It seems that most are doing some abbreviated/modified version of the RPO qualification found on page 79 of the "Semi-Annual Firearms Qualification and Requalification Standards for New Jersey Law Enforcement.".  But the law and the guidance doesn't require that. It doesn't say what CoF is good enough at at all.

But it does require "Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores".  Since NRA Basic Pistol does not require a specific score and scores are not recorded, it seems that would not qualify.  But if they are following their own rules, almost anything else does.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Only reason Evan is doing this is because people are bombarding him with requests for free legal advice. So why not make some money, or discourage people from asking and maybe motivate them to do their own research.

IOW, it's a stupid tax, plain and simple. 

According to who? 

Nappen has a long history of putting out "free" advice that servers to fear monger people into paying him for informational classes. 

I'm not cool with overtly confusing gunowners or making them so scared to drive to a gun to a range that they feel they need to pay a lawyer so as to properly transport firearms. 

Few would pay for his services, or buy his books if he didn't do this.

• Like 1