CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Dropped off at SP Sussex today. Sgt looked over everything, made some copies then said that after the prints and mental health come back it goes to Trenton for approval then to the judge in Sussex county court. He also said it’s out of his hands… 

the contributor case number is name and date and is not critical. But that’s only for NJSP. Local PD will be different.

Now the wait begins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RadioGunner said:

Dropped off at SP Sussex today. Sgt looked over everything, made some copies then said that after the prints and mental health come back it goes to Trenton for approval then to the judge in Sussex county court. He also said it’s out of his hands… 

the contributor case number is name and date and is not critical. But that’s only for NJSP. Local PD will be different.

Now the wait begins. 

Did he guestimate any timeline ?

24 minutes ago, FXDX said:

@ anyone - where do we get the contributor case number for finger prints for identogo?

Your PD supplies it when you drop off the application. NJSP has one format but local PD is different. Ask them. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I wanted to provide an update on my experience. I passed my qualification today (HQC2) from the holster and had my application notarized. The HQC2 was 50 rounds total from 1yrd to 25 yards, including one handed firing, tactical reloads, etc..  I will be dropping off my app on Wednesday....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

So, are the ranges using a standardized qual. report form or ones they're making up in house.....what's acceptable.

They’re making up their own. There is no standard form. 

10 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

What are they charging for qualifying?  Please include that in your posts.  

GFH $150 non members, $125 members, one gun. Two guns $200 non members $150 members.

• Informative 2

30 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

They’re making up their own. There is no standard form. 

GFH $150 non members, $125 members, one gun. Two guns $200 non members $150 members.

Don’t forget $50 to retake the quals if you fail 

Not everyone who thinks they can pass are passing  

15 minutes ago, FairbanksRusty said:

Don’t forget $50 to retake the quals if you fail 

Not everyone who thinks they can pass are passing  

Good point but unless you’re a novice I don’t see how? I saw one guy who looks like he blasted a shotgun at his target and he passed. Yes I guess some are so horrid they won’t pass but I guess I have more faith in people than is reality 

13 minutes ago, samiam said:

The New Jersey Administrative Code is a set of rules established by NJ executive branch agencies. It is derived from (at least in theory) the New Jersey Statutes (aka Revised Statutes or Statutes Annotated). In this case, I was referring to the latter, specifically New Jersey Revised Statutes Title 2C, "The New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice"; Section 2C:58-4, "Permits to carry handguns".  

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2021/title-2c/section-2c-58-4/

The N. J. A. C. interprets the N.J. S. A., more or less. 

Its the executive guide for following the legislated statute. Apparently the executive branch of our government isn't smart enough to just use the statute, they have to have someone explain it to them, or in many cases they just make shit up to fit their own personal agenda. 

It's no different then when the ATF makes up rules. 

In any case, administrative codes is not law and can't be used in court as an argument as breaking the law, not unless a statute specifically dictates that an agency will be responsible for enacting a policy or procedure. Administrative rules are guides for those enforcing the statute. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jerzeydemon said:

GunForHire claims Passaic County has already issued carry permits. 

I wouldn’t doubt it. GFH likely qualified some friends and family first and had them submit before the whole thing went public, to iron out the process. 

Can anyone confirm that the new guidance on pistol qualification for CCW only requires qualification with a pistol owned, but doesn't restrict carry to that pistol?  I am reading the SP memo and it says that any handgun acquired AFTER the issuance of the CCW may be carried and doesn't require additional qualification.  What does that mean for other legally owned pistols acquired BEFORE the CCW but not tested on for certification?   Thank you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrAceJD said:

Can anyone confirm that the new guidance on pistol qualification for CCW only requires qualification with a pistol owned, but doesn't restrict carry to that pistol?  I am reading the SP memo and it says that any handgun acquired AFTER the issuance of the CCW may be carried and doesn't require additional qualification.  What does that mean for other legally owned pistols acquired BEFORE the CCW but not tested on for certification?   Thank you.

The guidance you are reading is not official guidance.  See this thread:

and this post: 

11 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

The guidance you are reading is not official guidance.  See this thread:

and this post: 

The qualification disparities may or may not be an issue, we'll see as people get approved/denied...but this gun you intend to carry thing is an issue.

Some ranges, all listed on the NJSP website, have conflicting reports on the gun limitation. GFH seems pretty connected and says you can only carry what you qualify with...but then some ranges in South Jersey are posting the statute that suggests you can carry any gun you own after you're issued your permit.

For me, this is an area that needs real clarification. I have a qual scheduled in August at a South Jersey range and am debating what I should bother qualifying with...especially since I'm considering buying a different carry gun for warmer weather.

Also, for what it's worth, a super helpful NJSP firearms detective has been emailing me about my FID address change and ccw came up...he specifically told me that the Contributors Case Nunber is your last name and date of app...so DoeMMDDYY

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, MrAceJD said:

At this point assume that the permit is valid only for the gun you’ve qualified with. But I really would like to have ANJRPC help clarify this because it doesn’t align with the statute. It SHOULD be one permit to rule them all. There are other things that are being worked on in the background. 

• Agree 1

For the few permits that have been issued so far where the owner has published them, the court has restricted them to the guns used for qualification. It is written on the back of the permit including make, model, caliber and serial number.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

For the few permits that have been issued so far where the owner has published them, the court has restricted them to the guns used for qualification. It is written on the back of the permit including make, model, caliber and serial number.

Do you happen to have links to any pictures ? I could only find one (google nj carry permit and images) with the "front" where name and signature of judge issuing the permit.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

What do the permits look like? Link?

Just now, xXxplosive said:

who in their right mind would advertise this on FB.................omo.

If you have been watching the NJ gun pages on FB, you would realize there are a lot of people displaying a lack of thinking.

• Agree 1