CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Just and FYI Staples does two  2 x 2 passport photos for $14.   So $28+ for four.

If you request they will reduce the image and leave blank space above your head and on the side of your shoulders.   This way when you Trim a 1/4” off each side to make it 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” the picture looks correct. If you trim down a normal  2” x 2” passport photo it will look zoomed in on your face when cut down.

8 minutes ago, samiam said:

Good to know, thanks. I have a PostNet a couple of miles away, where I will probably get my application notarized. They also do passport photos. Hopefully they can do what Staples does at a competitive price. 

If they can’t do it on the computer see if then can stand back about 3’  when taking the photo..   That  will will reduce your image to better match the 1 1/2” x  1 1/2” format.

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

This is one of the reasons I won't be applying anytime soon.  

Why does the PD have to call the references and ask them the same questions on the application they've already attested to in writing, signed and notarized?

I guess the PD is hoping they will change their mind or say something that can be used to deny the application. 

Who's to say that will change "in time". 

I had an issue with FARS emailing one of my references. The detective called my reference spoke with him for a minute and resent the email request. 

Nothing will prevent them from double checking a reference. 

My permits were also issued in 6 days, so it wasn't about "anti-gun" police.. just a little due dillegence. 

For those wanting cheap passport photos, I went to the UPS store and got a total of 6 color 1.5x1.5 for like 11 bucks. AND they notarized my apps for 7.50

I should also mention, Gun for Hire had a lovely notary there during qualification hours who notarized and took passport photos for free. She even notarized my qualification papers "just in case"!

• Informative 2

5 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

For references I typically used the guys I used for all my pistol permits so they are all good with me applying. My boss is a notary so he notarized my 3 copies of the application and letter of ownership.

I have two friends that I've used for references on PP's in the past. They're not gun owners themselves but are fine with me using their names. 

I'm not sure who I'd use for a third reference and I would feel a little uncomfortable putting people on the spot asking them to sign off and attest to my application. 

My local PD - has indicated the following:

- They have dozens of applications

- They are being very accommodating to provide information and help people

- They are stating that there is no live fire quals only showing safe handling (I thing they are wrong) and someone signing off on that

- They are actively processing them as fast as they can

We will see when I get mine dropped off.

31 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

- They are stating that there is no live fire quals only showing safe handling (I thing they are wrong) and someone signing off on that

I really am curious if this will be left up to individual departments or if the AG or SP are going to set a standard.

35 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

what town is that may I ask.....

Vernon - :) 

6 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I really am curious if this will be left up to individual departments or if the AG or SP are going to set a standard.

No idea - but it does not say that in the Admin Code - maybe a misinterpretation

8 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

Huh........things could still change, after all, most states including upstate NY only required proof of a gun safety course and the rest....no qual.

Truth - but for now - it seems you need live fire qualification.

22 minutes ago, samiam said:

Here is what the Revised Statutes say about the need for training and/or qualification as of the 2021 revisions. It ain't much. I have struck through the portions clearly overruled by Bruen:

2C:58-4 (2021) c. (investigation and approval) 1. 
No application shall be approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent unless the
applicant demonstrates that he is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection
c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3, that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns,
and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun.

ibid d. Issuance by Superior Court
The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is
satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the
disabilities set forth in subsection c. of N.J.S.2C:58-3, that he is thoroughly familiar with the
safe handling and use of handguns
, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun in
accordance with the provisions of subsection c. of this section

The first citation appears to me to leave it to the local PD (or NJSP station if there is none, I'll get to that). If these go from local PD to NJSP Firearms division, to Superior Court, which I believe to be the routing, it would appear that the only opportunities to reject on the basis of insufficient training lie with the local PD or the court judge. Lacking a local PD, these seem to be routed to/through NJSP Superintendent's office, so obviously any NJSP preference regarding training or qualification would be enforced in that case. The statute appears to contain no mandate that these requirements show any consistency. 

What about N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B) ?

So then it begs the question - do I have a Certified Firearms Instructor Certify that I understand safe handling and forego live fire quals and roll the dice?

Do i submit my 2012 cert for the NRA Basic Pistol Course - as well as the Home Firearms Safety Course - that I took thinking the laws for 'training' were going to change back then....

There are several "official" ways to meet the qualification standard.  I posted earlier the text in both the administrative code and how it's listed in the Firearm Applicant Investigator's Guidebook.  If anyone is interested, that post can be found here: 

• Informative 2

3 hours ago, Jfoster99 said:

Just and FYI Staples does two  2 x 2 passport photos for $14.   So $28+ for four.

If you request they will reduce the image and leave blank space above your head and on the side of your shoulders.   This way when you Trim a 1/4” off each side to make it 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” the picture looks correct. If you trim down a normal  2” x 2” passport photo it will look zoomed in on your face when cut down.

If anyone has an AAA membership - go to one of the AAA locations - they'll do this for you for a lot cheaper.  The last set I took was $3 (depending on your membership level).

• Informative 1

11 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

There are several "official" ways to meet the qualification standard.  I posted earlier the text in both the administrative code and how it's listed in the Firearm Applicant Investigator's Guidebook.  If anyone is interested, that post can be found here: 

so the any of the following would apply....but some towns state one must submit Live fire qual test with app......what is right.

1 hour ago, xXxplosive said:

the local ranges will not be happy.................but then again, why would the NJSP list the ranges where you can qual.   I dunno....I do know that the testing is different depending on where you go and that seems very Odd to me.

Those qual listings are for RPO. This whole process has been mishmashed with the RPO process. It shouldn’t be. A training course should be sufficient, no limits on guns to carry, and the fee should only be $20.

• Agree 3

This is how I look at it right now. Just apply. Worst case, you get denied but if a lot of people apply that will scare the shit out of them and maybe we can build more lawsuit cases on the state. Just apply 

I will be taking my qualifications Sunday and hoping to deliver the packet on Monday. I have had charges in the  past that were all dismissed. I wonder if they will try to use that. I was never convicted for any of them. All dismissed and one being a conditional discharge. Wish me luck. 

• Informative 1

24 minutes ago, Jerzeydemon said:

This is how I look at it right now. Just apply. Worst case, you get denied but if a lot of people apply that will scare the shit out of them and maybe we can build more lawsuit cases on the state. Just apply 

I will be taking my qualifications Sunday and hoping to deliver the packet on Monday. I have had charges in the  past that were all dismissed. I wonder if they will try to use that. I was never convicted for any of them. All dismissed and one being a conditional discharge. Wish me luck. 

I was in the same situation.  The arrests will still come up every time you apply.  Do not apply until until you get your record expunged.  I spent 700 for the expungement and now it does not come up anymore.