CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I was in the same situation.  The arrests will still come up every time you apply.  Do not apply until until you get your record expunged.  I spent 700 for the expungement and now it does not come up anymore.

I have qualifications on Sunday. I already put in for an expungement and waiting but they shouldn’t deny me since it’s the law and I already own firearms but you know NJ. I will apply Monday. 

11 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I was in the same situation.  The arrests will still come up every time you apply.  Do not apply until until you get your record expunged.  I spent 700 for the expungement and now it does not come up anymore.

How long did the expungement take. I’m doing it on my own. No lawyer. I put in for the petition. 

1 minute ago, Jerzeydemon said:

I have qualifications on Sunday. I already put in for an expungement and waiting but they shouldn’t deny me since it’s the law and I already own firearms but you know NJ. I will apply Monday. 

You can do your quals and the whole shebang and get it all ready,  but I would NOT submit the package until your lawyer tells you that the arrest record has been removed from the city,  county,  and state where the arrest happened.  Even if you were able to explain away the arrest the last time you got a pistol permit I am afraid that wont fly this time,  and then you will have to explain why you got denied.  Just trying to help you out with what I know of it.

14 minutes ago, Jerzeydemon said:

How long did the expungement take. I’m doing it on my own. No lawyer. I put in for the petition. 

It took about 2 months.  I made one phone call to a laywer I have never met and he got it done.  Good luck in your efforts.  I do know some other people on here have done it themselves ,  I just didnt have the time for that.  Now I have an official document that says I can answer NO to any question on being arrested ever.  I does feel quite good not having it hanging over your head everytime you apply.  Just so you know that I also had pretrial intervention,  case was dismissed,  and the arrest still came up 45 years later.  After the expungement it does not show.

9 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

It took about 2 months.  I made one phone call to a laywer I have never met and he got it done.  Good luck in your efforts.  I do know some other people on here have done it themselves ,  I just didnt have the time for that.  Now I have an official document that says I can answer NO to any question on being arrested ever.  I does feel quite good not having it hanging over your head everytime you apply.  Just so you know that I also had pretrial intervention,  case was dismissed,  and the arrest still came up 45 years later.  After the expungement it does not show.

Okay I will try to cancel the qualification and get a refund. You’re right. I will wait till it gets expunged. Thank you for the advice.  

Just now, Jerzeydemon said:

Okay I will try to cancel the qualification and get a refund. You’re right. I will wait till it gets expunged. Thank you for the advice.  

Dont forget. It may seem like an inconvenience now,  but will pay out in spades later on.  You do NOT want to have this come up now or ever.  If you happen to need the name of the guy I used just let me know.  I think the quals are good for 6 months and you should be able to get this done in that time frame for sure.  You may not have to cancel unless you want to wait.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Dont forget. It may seem like an inconvenience now,  but will pay out in spades later on.  You do NOT want to have this come up now or ever.  If you happen to need the name of the guy I used just let me know.  I think the quals are good for 6 months and you should be able to get this done in that time frame for sure.  You may not have to cancel unless you want to wait.

I’ll cancel and wait. This state sucks and make up rules as they go. Yea I’ll take the info of the lawyer just In Case. 

5 hours ago, Jerzeydemon said:

I have had charges in the  past that were all dismissed. I wonder if they will try to use that. I was never convicted for any of them. All dismissed and one being a conditional discharge. Wish me luck. 

Might want to consult with a firearms attorney before going any further with your application, don't make any assumptions.

15 hours ago, samiam said:

IANAL, and I'm not even sure one of them who specializes in this area could give you 100% assurance at this point. As has been discussed on here somewhere, the NJ Revised Statutes are the actual law, and are supposed to be binding. The Administrative Code and the NJSP guidance are someone's interpretation of those statutes (apparently a less than completely honest interpretation in many cases). None of that seems to matter very much to the a$$clowns who run this state.  

Well, not to sound cheap but it could be up to a couple hundred bucks depending on where you go to the applicant.....and what about someone who cannot at the moment budget the monies but has taken the approved safety courses.....does he/she not get to satisfy their 2A because of the latest financial situations / inflation................this is something......there's always $$$$$ attached to everything here....omo.

So I literally just dropped off my Application to Carry in Franklin Lakes… The officer was was nice and helpful but two interesting take aways.

1) He thought my Qualification letter from Gun for Hire had to be Notorized but accepted anyway, We’re they supposed to Notify it before I left?

2) I completed the Pistole permit request on July 6th and got my Fingerprints at Identico on Wednesday using the  case number provided.  Today the officer gave me instruction to get finger printed for the carry permit with a different Case Number. I explained I was just printed on Wednesday and provided the receipt and Pistol Purchase finger  print instructions.  He advised me to go and get printed again using the carry application case number because he could not guarantee  it would not be rejected. So back to Identico in go, twice in one week.

3) He advise since I compete the Pistol purchase permit on July 6th it would be on hold indefinitely until a new State process was implemented.   If I had completed on July 5th it would be grandfathered in and I would have gotten pistol purchase permits in about 3 weeks.

4) when I get my PPP and buy a carry gun I like I will have to complete the entire application process again 100% to add an additional gun to my permitt.

8 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

So I literally just dropped off my Application to Carry in Franklin Lakes… The officer was was nice and helpful but two interesting take aways.

1) He thought my Qualification letter from Gun for Hire had to be Notorized but accepted anyway, We’re they supposed to Notify it before I left?

2) I completed the Pistole permit request on July 6th and got my Fingerprints at Identico on Wednesday using the  case number provided.  Today the officer gave me instruction to get finger printed for the carry permit with a different Case Number. I explained I was just printed on Wednesday and provided the receipt and Pistol Purchase finger  print instructions.  He advised me to go and get printed again using the carry application case number because he could not guarantee  it would not be rejected. So back to Identico in go, twice in one week.

3) He advise since I compete the Pistol purchase permit on July 6th it would be on hold indefinitely until a new State process was implemented.   If I had completed on July 5th it would be grandfathered in and I would have gotten pistol purchase permits in about 3 weeks.

4) when I get my PPP and buy a carry gun I like I will have to complete the entire application process again 100% to add an additional gun to my permitt.

What’s the new requirements for pistol permits?

23 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

As a FID holder for years, if I wanted more handguns I have to take a test now?! this must be for new applicants I assume. Cause that will make no sense.. but then again I live in NJ ~le sigh 

51 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

I prefer them processing the paperwork without delay than being "nice".  If you want to have fun, tell him this is NOT your "first permit to purchase a handgun".. :-)

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4370/bill-text?f=A4500&n=4370_R1

"
In order to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, the applicant shall demonstrate that, within four years prior to the date of the application, the applicant satisfactorily completed a course of instruction approved by the superintendent in the lawful and safe handling and storage of firearms.  The applicant shall be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction only once prior to obtaining either a firearms purchaser identification card or the applicant’s first permit to purchase a handgun.

"

It's a shame, IMO, that just like NJ, everyone here is so hopped up by Thomas's Opinion that the real crux of the matter is that we're talkiing about the 2nd of the Bill Of Rights.....everyone is willing to shell out hundreds of bucks to have an opportunity to exercise their 2A rights that they are loosing the entire perspective here. Yup just like NJ your gonna pay for this opportunity, not unlike the other states that uderstand what the Constitution means and Constitutional Carry. Heck they don't even have a test standard to follow. As reported, maybe some Twps. are not even requiring the same submittals....ie. qual test results vs. certificate of saftey course....what is it....can I go to another town in this state to apply like folks can in other states and save a couple hundred bucks or do I have to apply in the town in which I live only.......so much for the Constitutionality of it. I'm hoping changes will be made and a set of standards will be set for everyone......this is a situation out of control...only my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, xXxplosive said:

can I go to another town in this state to apply like folks can in other states and save a couple hundred bucks or do I have to apply in the town in which I live only....

There is a lot of variation in Pennsylvania like this, but you cannot apply outside your county of residence. Constitutional carry is the goal but we know that will never happen here. So for now you take what you get and keep fighting.

1 hour ago, CJack said:

I prefer them processing the paperwork without delay than being "nice".  If you want to have fun, tell him this is NOT your "first permit to purchase a handgun".. :-)

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4370/bill-text?f=A4500&n=4370_R1

"
In order to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card, the applicant shall demonstrate that, within four years prior to the date of the application, the applicant satisfactorily completed a course of instruction approved by the superintendent in the lawful and safe handling and storage of firearms.  The applicant shall be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction only once prior to obtaining either a firearms purchaser identification card or the applicant’s first permit to purchase a handgun.

"

This is the total of what it says not just that snippet:

The applicant shall not be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction in order to obtain any subsequent permit to purchase a handgun 1[or a firearms purchaser identification card]1 , to replace an existing firearms purchaser identification card, or to renew a firearms purchaser identification card.

An applicant who is a law enforcement officer who has satisfied the requirements of subsection j. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, a retired law enforcement officer who has satisfied the requirements of subsection l. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, or a veteran who was honorably discharged as a member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard who received substantially equivalent training shall not be required to complete the course of instruction required pursuant to the provisions of this subsection. 

A person who obtained a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card prior to the effective date of P.L.    , c.   (C.       ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) shall not be required to complete a course of instruction pursuant to this subsection.

See the section that I emboldened above - 

3 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

This is the total of what it says not just that snippet:

The applicant shall not be required to demonstrate completion of a course of instruction in order to obtain any subsequent permit to purchase a handgun 1[or a firearms purchaser identification card]1 , to replace an existing firearms purchaser identification card, or to renew a firearms purchaser identification card.

An applicant who is a law enforcement officer who has satisfied the requirements of subsection j. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, a retired law enforcement officer who has satisfied the requirements of subsection l. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, or a veteran who was honorably discharged as a member of the United States Armed Forces or National Guard who received substantially equivalent training shall not be required to complete the course of instruction required pursuant to the provisions of this subsection. 

A person who obtained a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card prior to the effective date of P.L.    , c.   (C.       ) (pending before the Legislature as this bill) shall not be required to complete a course of instruction pursuant to this subsection.

See the section that I emboldened above - 

Yep, read the whole bill (latest version). Even better with the highlighted portion. Both the highlighted portion and the one quoted seem to indicate the new process only for the "new guys". So the poster who was turned away for "applying on July 6th" should be able to get a permit without the nonsense his PD is quoting.

4 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Does this mean an unexecuted P2P?  or any P2P previously obtained regardless of how long ago?

1 minute ago, YankeeSC said:

Does this mean an unexecuted P2P?  or any P2P previously obtained regardless of how long ago?

I do not know - haven't looked that hard into it - but to me it seems to be any P2P and FID before this legislation.

Not that I plan on pulling any more permits - aaaaaaaannnnnnd - I must have said that a few times in the past - lol - so we will see the next round

Two more years of this silliness....  sheesh....  :popcorn:

2 minutes ago, CJack said:

Yep, read the whole bill (latest version). Even better with the highlighted portion. Both the highlighted portion and the one quoted seem to indicate the new process only for the "new guys". So the poster who was turned away for "applying on July 6th" should be able to get a permit without the nonsense his PD is quoting.

If what has been offered up in the text of the legislation is the correct wording - I would think so.

34 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

so your sayin' one can apply in any town within the county he resides.

In PA you apply to the county sheriff, not the town. The only exception is cities of first class where you apply to the chief of police.

4 minutes ago, Jfoster99 said:

Is Gun for Hire  notarizing everyone Qualification document? 
Mine is not. Did I skip a step when I was there?  

No they are not. The instructor just signs it.

Just now, xXxplosive said:

what about jersey........

Jersey you have to apply to your chief of police by statute. If you are out of state apply to the nearest non toll road NJSP barracks.

I would love for these to be handled by the county sheriffs and leave the local PD to do important things like fight crime. 

• Thanks 1

According to the Firearm Applicant Investigation Guidebook by the NJSP that is used by all local PDs and NJSP when issuing FIDs, P2P,s and Carry Permits...

"The applicant must produce evidence he or she is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns. This may be evidenced in one of several ways:
a. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S. 2C: 39-6.j;
b. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;

*** c. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
d. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor

*** So, has anyone gone this route yet.......