CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

30 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

According to the Firearm Applicant Investigation Guidebook by the NJSP that is used by all local PDs and NJSP when issuing FIDs, P2P,s and Carry Permits...

"The applicant must produce evidence he or she is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns. This may be evidenced in one of several ways:
a. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S. 2C: 39-6.j;
b. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;

*** c. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
d. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor

*** So, has anyone gone this route yet.......

I went with quals for two reasons (yes, I know all these requirements are against etc).

1. NRA Courses I looked were more expensive than doing the straight up qual / testing

2. NJSP already put out specific instructions using the verbiage of "written qualificiation with serial number blah blah blah". Yes, again, we all know it may not be what law / admin code says, but right now it is what it is.  Trying to around means one has to goto court to fight the local guys and NJSP. https://www.nj.gov/oag/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

Now, its entirely possible that some NRA Certified Instructor out there is willing to provide a piece of paper attesting to your ability in safe handling of a handgun blah blah along with serial number etc and put his / her name down. 

4 minutes ago, Ficus said:

I should add it wasn’t the township that turned the class down. It was the state police. The detective said it was good enough for him. 

So you handed the app in originally without the qualification test?! Trying to figure out what class the NJSP turned down. 

24 minutes ago, CJack said:

I went with quals for two reasons (yes, I know all these requirements are against etc).

1. NRA Courses I looked were more expensive than doing the straight up qual / testing

2. NJSP already put out specific instructions using the verbiage of "written qualificiation with serial number blah blah blah". Yes, again, we all know it may not be what law / admin code says, but right now it is what it is.  Trying to around means one has to goto court to fight the local guys and NJSP. https://www.nj.gov/oag/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

Now, its entirely possible that some NRA Certified Instructor out there is willing to provide a piece of paper attesting to your ability in safe handling of a handgun blah blah along with serial number etc and put his / her name down. 

That doc for NJSP is clearly for RPO. It may be “valid” for now but I don’t think it matches the statute for citizen non LEO carry. 

8 minutes ago, Ficus said:

I should add it wasn’t the township that turned the class down. It was the state police. The detective said it was good enough for him. 

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104150-nj-ccw-permit-application-experience/&do=findComment&comment=1394981

I totally missed your earlier comment about your app being sent back.  Linking here again..  How long did it take NJSP to send the app back to your local PD , from your date of submission.

My confusion is, how did the app even goto NJSP from local PD without your fingerprints being done ? 

31 minutes ago, CJack said:

yes that's possible but from what I'm hearing they will send it back.............so.

3 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

yes that's possible but from what I'm hearing they will send it back.............so.

yeah, I am trying to get clarification from the poster as to HOW and WHY it went to NJSP.  From what I read, I assumed the application goes from local PD (approval) to county superior court for approval or denial. How did it even goto NJSP without poster going through fingerprinting first.

right.......so this means absolutely nothin'..?

According to the Firearm Applicant Investigation Guidebook by the NJSP that is used by all local PDs and NJSP when issuing FIDs, P2P,s and Carry Permits...

"The applicant must produce evidence he or she is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns. This may be evidenced in one of several ways:
a. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S. 2C: 39-6.j;
b. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;
c. Completion of a course or test in the safe handling of a handgun administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; or
d. Passage of any test in this State’s laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor

If any local org. here had any balls they would take what Thomas wrote and push hard for Constitutional Carry as he meant it to be.......but here it's the same ol'....let's just take what they give us attitude, well they gave us nothin'.....other states have done it already.....omo.

26 minutes ago, CJack said:

yeah, I am trying to get clarification from the poster as to HOW and WHY it went to NJSP.  From what I read, I assumed the application goes from local PD (approval) to county superior court for approval or denial. How did it even goto NJSP without poster going through fingerprinting first.

Like I said, they are mashing this together with RPO. That needs to be straightened out.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Like I said, they are mashing this together with RPO. That needs to be straightened out.

I get that about the "qual" requirements. Are you saying the local PDs are sending the applications to NJSP / Trenton for approval ?

42 minutes ago, xXxplosive said:

If any local org. here had any balls they would take what Thomas wrote and push hard for Constitutional Carry as he meant it to be.......but here it's the same ol'....let's just take what they give us attitude, well they gave us nothin'.....other states have done it already.....omo.

Hi ! - we understand that you do not want to go through this process, you think this process is BS, you want unrestricted carry as per the USCONN 2A - and assume that is what they meant.

We get it - however, the rhetoric about it :) muddies the waters in the thread - we are all guilty of it - but, you have to let go of that and find peace that this is the way it is - FOR NOW.

:drinks:

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

I was told that (app goes to NJSP Firearms Division, Trenton after local PD) by my ex-NJSP buddy who claims to be familiar with the proceudre. The only step that the statute indicates should go outside the local PD to court loop is the fingerprint driven records check, which is to be done at local, state and federal levels. Maybe this is another method they have used to delay and deny. It's a little ironic and very lame that not only has NJ been denying us our fundamental Constitutional right, but it more and more appears that they haven't even been playing according to their own twisted, unconstitutional rules. 

Yeah, thats confusing as heck. So PD->NJSP->PD->CountySuperiorCourt->PD or  PD->CountySuperiorCourt->PD or PD->CountySuperiorCourt->Applicant ? or some other variation of it ?

The "leaked" memo / write up alludes to PDs working with the Superior Court directly.

3 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

There is a lot of variation in Pennsylvania like this, but you cannot apply outside your county of residence. Constitutional carry is the goal but we know that will never happen here. So for now you take what you get and keep fighting.

It’s the goal, but it will only happen if the Supreme Court allows it unfortunately 

Well, I jumped through all the hoops they put out there, Qualified, all the paperwork turned into local PD, (very receptive and helpful, by the way) fingerprinted yesterday and confirmed transmission from IdentoGo to them. Now we wait. Ocean County is one of the "on record" sanctuary counties in NJ, so hopefully that will help.

• Informative 2

17 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yes, but that referred to States. It's unclear if county-to-county variations within a shall-issue state are allowed, particularly if those variations create confusion and, as a result, make the process more onerous and restrictive. 

Even under NJ statute that is not allowed. 

2 hours ago, samiam said:

See his post on pg #2 of this thread about 1/3 of the way down. I haven't yet figured out how to link directly to a sngle comment here...

I concluded from his experience that my 2016 NRA Basic Handgun Safety and Competency cert was not going to pass muster. 

The basic handgun course does not meet the requirements as per NJAC 13"45-2.4.  The things that do meet the standard are... from NJAC 13:45-2.4

(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by:

1. Completion of a firearms training course substantially equivalent to the firearms training approved by the Police Training Commission as described by N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6j;  The basic handgun course is not substantially equivalent to the police training course.
2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor; The basic handgun course doesn't score your range day.  or
3. Passage of any test in this State's laws governing the use of force administered by a certified instructor of a police academy, a certified instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified instructor.  The basic handgun course is not a course in this state's laws governing the use of force.

But... I do think they would have to accept any of the three things on this list and not just shooting qualifications.  The problem is that there isn't a course identical to the police training course that we can take and nobody has put together a course in the state's laws re: use of force.  So all that's left for us is to shoot a qualifier.

• Informative 1

Fwiw, the detective I was shooting the shit with after he looked over and accepted my application stated the chief will sign off on it once the fingerprints come back then send it to superior court. No mention of njsp. This was Mt. Laurel, Burlington county. We’ll see…

• Informative 1

4 hours ago, CJack said:

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104150-nj-ccw-permit-application-experience/&do=findComment&comment=1394981

I totally missed your earlier comment about your app being sent back.  Linking here again..  How long did it take NJSP to send the app back to your local PD , from your date of submission.

My confusion is, how did the app even goto NJSP from local PD without your fingerprints being done ? 

It took about two days for the detective to tell me the njsp will not accept a class cert for the “criteria”. I don’t know what happened after I turned it in. He looked it over said it was good enough for him. Said he’d get me the info for fingerprints in the next day or so. When he called me back he said the njsp won’t accept the cert I needed to qualify and return the packet. 

17 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Fwiw, the detective I was shooting the shit with after he looked over and accepted my application stated the chief will sign off on it once the fingerprints come back then send it to superior court. No mention of njsp. This was Mt. Laurel, Burlington county. We’ll see…

The fingerprints usually comes back in couple of days. How quickly do they usually process your pistol permits ? I would imagine background check for this one should take same or less time.