CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

4 minutes ago, CJack said:

The fingerprints usually comes back in couple of days. How quickly do they usually process your pistol permits ? I would imagine background check for this one should take same or less time.

Mt. Laurel is awesome (for NJ). Usually 5-7 days. 

8 minutes ago, Ficus said:

It took about two days for the detective to tell me the njsp will not accept a class cert for the “criteria”. I don’t know what happened after I turned it in. He looked it over said it was good enough for him. Said he’d get me the info for fingerprints in the next day or so. When he called me back he said the njsp won’t accept the cert I needed to qualify and return the packet. 

Very likely the application did not goto NJSP at all. More likely he thought it was ok, then referred to the NJSP material, internal checklist or called NJSP to get clarification.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Mt. Laurel is awesome (for NJ). Usually 5-7 days. 

Then, if he meant what he said, they should get your app approved and out to then court no more than two weeks.  Good luck and keep us posted for sure.

• Agree 1

Got my paperwork in today.  The folks at the office couldn't have been more helpful and outgoing.   They went through the check-list for each document.  They didn't screen each document for content but they did go one by one.  

Of course it was then a major pain to get an IdentiGo appointment.  I had to take what I could get and will be driving over an hour each way.  That was a bit of a surprise.  I am just glad I got the packet in.  It's amazing how long it takes to complete (cutting down passport photos, notary, driving around to get all the wet signatures, money order, etc.).   

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

So you handed the app in originally without the qualification test?! Trying to figure out what class the NJSP turned down. 

It was a pistol 1 class from a local instructor. Not a basic nra class. 

8 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Yes

Do we have any applicants , PDs or other credible source to confirm that ? And what could be purpose of sending the application to NJSP be ?  Just confusion and ignorance ?

1 hour ago, CJack said:

Do we have any applicants , PDs or other credible source to confirm that ? And what could be purpose of sending the application to NJSP be ?  Just confusion and ignorance ?

Isn't that the reason for three copies?  Local PD, NJSP, and Superior Court?

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, CJack said:

I applied at my NJSP barracks and the sgt told me it goes to Trenton at the FIU.

it could be just because I applied at NJSP (Sussex). But others in town police depts are reporting they’ve gotten the same story and the fact that some others (some security guards, armored cars) had to apply to NJSP directly.

So while I can’t confirm completely it seems highly plausible.

• Informative 1

33 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

Isn't that the reason for three copies?  Local PD, NJSP, and Superior Court?

I always thought that was to just mess with applicants .. LOL.. nah! that makes sense (as much as it does in this state). So I guess 4 pictures, one for each copy and one for the permit itself.. . Brilliant!.

14 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I applied at my NJSP barracks and the sgt told me it goes to Trenton at the FIU.

it could be just because I applied at NJSP (Sussex). But others in town police depts are reporting they’ve gotten the same story and the fact that some others (some security guards, armored cars) had to apply to NJSP directly.

So while I can’t confirm completely it seems highly plausible.

I wonder if a copy gets sent to FIU as FYI or do they actually wait for some approval from NJSP. We are F'd with bottleneck there if every application has to go through FIU.

7 hours ago, MrAceJD said:

So, for anyone who is now making appointments with IdentiGo, can you share your scheduling experience?   The earliest I could get was a week away, and an hour away.  

Others?

I went out of state and paid the $40 out of state fee. I had a work trip this week and didn’t want to chance missing it. So I got an appt the next day in Pennsylvania. 

1 hour ago, RadioGunner said:

I went out of state and paid the $40 out of state fee. I had a work trip this week and didn’t want to chance missing it. So I got an appt the next day in Pennsylvania. 

Same. Last week scheduled in PA. Tons of next day appointments. In and out in 10 minutes. 

6 minutes ago, samiam said:

But there seems to be some evidence in this thread that is happening, with the varying standards for demonstrating proficiency. 

And just like extra requirements for FIDs and PtPs, those facing those requirements should challenge them through one of our 2A organizations. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, samiam said:

That's valid, but... I'm not sure how someone should go about challenging a particular requirement, without knowing what the standard requirement is supposed to be. 

The exact requirements are in the statute and interpreted in the NJ admin code. One example is the fee. The fee is $20 in the statute. They are not supposed to charge $50. It's not ambiguous at all. 

1 hour ago, samiam said:

That's valid, but... I'm not sure how someone should go about challenging a particular requirement, without knowing what the standard requirement is supposed to be. Unfortunately, the vagarities and contradictions among the NJ Statutes, Adminstrative Code, and NJSP guidelines is working in the graboids' favor at this point. For example, in spite of the fact that several posters have pointed out that the actual legally binding requirements are those stated in the New Jersey Revised Statutes Section 2C:58-4(c & d), there are any number of other posters in this thread continuing to state and debate what is in the Adminstrative Code and/or the NJSP guidelines on that subject. I'm not completely convinced that thrust of the first litigation shoudn't be to force the state to be consistent and eliminate the contradictions from those documents. 

Well, the scotus opinion left "good moral character" and "mental health checks" in place as constitutional. So I don't see our permitting system going anywhere anytime soon. I could see them forcing the background check be dropped since all sales go through an FFL where the background check is completed. It's an extra redundant cost that serves no purpose. 

With respect to carry permits, the only thing I see in questionf from Bruen is how much they state can require you to be trained or qualified. 

1 hour ago, samiam said:

My experience was that the Identogo on-line scheduling tool would only show me the next 7 days, and there were none in South Jersey for the NJ firearms service code (don't remember what search radius I used, but it pretty much covered this half of the state). However, appointments in Philly and suburbs were plentiful. I could have pretty much had my pick of sereral venues, and next-day, or following day appointments at a time of my preference. I did schedule an appointment in Ardmore (I wanted to avoid the middle of Philly) for July 13 on July 11. I intended to use the NJSP formula for Contributor Case Number (I am submitting at Woodbine station), based on August 1 as my application date (I have an NRA CCW class scheduled for July 30 - 31). I had a personal issue come up here that required me to cancel that July 13 appointment. After condiering the ready availability of appointments, I then decided to wait until after I get my CCW certificate and submit my paperwork to Woodbine (this is the NJ recommended practice). That was I will get a CCN directly from Woodbine station, rather than making up my own. I think the risk for creating my own CCN was minimal, but if it's avoidable, why incur it? The off-setting risk is that appointment availability will diminish, or print processing time increase, over the next two weeks, and, while that is possible, I don't expect it to happen to any great degree. 

Samiam    Are you going to the class given by Full Metal Jacket in Seaview.  If so can you post what they required for the shooting part of the class 

My references got letters, just like the ones my PD use to sent before FARS, after 10 days I dropped my application. Also my PD confirmed that they received the fingerprints last Monday and the Sgt. In charge of the Firearms Unit told me that he will contact me after receiving the reference letters back if there’s anything missing in the application. This is West Orange PD. 

1 hour ago, samiam said:

That's valid, but... I'm not sure how someone should go about challenging a particular requirement, without knowing what the standard requirement is supposed to be. Unfortunately, the vagarities and contradictions among the NJ Statutes, Adminstrative Code, and NJSP guidelines is working in the graboids' favor at this point. For example, in spite of the fact that several posters have pointed out that the actual legally binding requirements are those stated in the New Jersey Revised Statutes Section 2C:58-4(c & d), there are any number of other posters in this thread continuing to state and debate what is in the Adminstrative Code and/or the NJSP guidelines on that subject. I'm not completely convinced that thrust of the first litigation shoudn't be to force the state to be consistent and eliminate the contradictions from those documents. 

It was suggested to us to simply over-deliver against the requirements.   Submit copy of NRA Basic Pistol Safety course, submit copy of NRA CCW course (inclusive of live fire qualification).      I suppose it is a pricey endeavor.  $300 - $400 on classes, $200 notary (don't say it, I couldn't find a notary at any UPS store across three towns), $50 application, $30 photos, $95 for IdentiGo, and probably some other misc costs (lost time traveling all over the place for prints and signatures, blah, blah, blah).  Call it around $600.   

Still seems worth it though.   Honestly the fragmented process requirements are more burdensome than the costs but that's the known consequence of trying to get in early before streamlined changes to the system might be made.  I am hearing that this process might migrate into FARS at some point, etc., but that's all speculative.

5 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

It was suggested to us to simply over-deliver against the requirements.   Submit copy of NRA Basic Pistol Safety course, submit copy of NRA CCW course (inclusive of live fire qualification).      I suppose it is a pricey endeavor.  $300 - $400 on classes, $200 notary (don't say it, I couldn't find a notary at any UPS store across three towns), .....

Did you say $200 for Notary ? Was the guy gold plating the stamp ?

16 minutes ago, CJack said:

Did you say $200 for Notary ? Was the guy gold plating the stamp ?

I couldn't find one where I could walk in and get it done.  Each place I went I heard some variation of "we no longer have a notary on staff" or "our notary is out today."  So I used a mobile notary...

• Informative 1