CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

10 hours ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Can fingerprinting at Identigo be done before the qualifying and submitting the paperwork?

My town gave me the case number when picking up the application, some give it when dropping it off completed. 

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

My town gave me the case number when picking up the application, some give it when dropping it off completed. 

At State Police, when I called, they asked me to get fingerprinting done prior to dropping off application. When I dropped off the app they specifically asked for the receipt for the fingerprint. For the case number it was last name and date of registering for the appointment. 

4 minutes ago, Tyty said:

At State Police, when I called, they asked me to get fingerprinting done prior to dropping off application. When I dropped off the app they specifically asked for the receipt for the fingerprint. For the case number it was last name and date of registering for the appointment. 

State police did not ask me for the receipt. They just said go get fingerprinted and gave me an instruction sheet for the CCN. They also said results will be sent directly to the station. 

IMG_0102.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, CJack said:

Realistically we are atleast looking at 60 days (local PD) + 14 days (prosecutor) + 30 days (court) + whatever temper tantrums along the way = 3.5 months at the least. Some of us applied around Jul first week - so we are looking at mid to late October if they play just enough shenanigans.

Agree.

I submitted my paperwork to local PD on July 25 and I have zero expectations that there will be a 'quick' turnaround.

Honestly there's part of me that doesn't expect that the carry permit will be issued at all.  I was going to go the "wait and see" route and submit at a future point when everything was worked out, but if there aren't enough people FORCING the PD's and courts to act, that 'future point' would never come, so I got things done early and put them in.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Agree.

I submitted my paperwork to local PD on July 25 and I have zero expectations that there will be a 'quick' turnaround.

Honestly there's part of me that doesn't expect that the carry permit will be issued at all.  I was going to go the "wait and see" route and submit at a future point when everything was worked out, but if there aren't enough people FORCING the PD's and courts to act, that 'future point' would never come, so I got things done early and put them in.

Exactly. Looking at the FB groups and talking to folks in town, I am disappointed that too many are sitting on the sidelines and taking "wait-and-see" approach. 

Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered in this thread.

To establish proof of identity for a US citizen,

• The GunForHire checklist says you need to provide a driver's license and passport OR birth certificate.
  • The nj.gov instructions for applying for a carry permit say you need to provide a driver's license AND birth certificate.

I haven't seen (or been asked for) a birth certificate for a very long time.  No idea where to find it; I'd have to go through the fairly cumbersome process of requesting a new copy if I have to provide one.   The passport, on the other hand, is easy.

Have any police departments (particularly in Morris County) been refusing the passport and insisting on a birth certificate?

3 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

My paperwork was submitted with DL & FID, and I was not asked for passport or birth certificate. My application was approved and forwarded to the Ocean County court.

How long ago did your application go to the ocean county court? It was 2 weeks ago today for me and I haven’t heard anything.

22 minutes ago, 10X said:

• The GunForHire checklist says you need to provide a driver's license and passport OR birth certificate.
  • The nj.gov instructions for applying for a carry permit say you need to provide a driver's license AND birth certificate.

I haven't seen (or been asked for) a birth certificate for a very long time.  No idea where to find it; I'd have to go through the fairly cumbersome process of requesting a new copy if I have to provide one.   The passport, on the other hand, is easy.

Have any police departments (particularly in Morris County) been refusing the passport and insisting on a birth certificate?

I am a naturalized citizen and I always used my passport. NJSP accepts the passport.

6 minutes ago, samiam said:

Interesting. Conflicts with NJSP on-line guidance, but so what. I'll need to call my local NJSP station to find out if thaty are on-board with that. Thanks for the update!

I was told the same thing.  This really screws it up for me since I am traveling to NJ from south of the Mason Dixon line and there are no fingerprint appointments left for the week anywhere.  Fun times. 

17 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

How long ago did your application go to the ocean county court? It was 2 weeks ago today for me and I haven’t heard anything.

I was informed by local PD my application was complete and being reviewed on 7/18 &  notified approved  7/27 & it was moving forward to the court. There's a Facebook group formed to post progress or read others New Jersey Shall Issue PCH.

Edited by ShootersShooter
clarified dates
  • Informative 1

4 minutes ago, Alex V said:

I was told the same thing.  This really screws it up for me since I am traveling to NJ from south of the Mason Dixon line and there are no fingerprint appointments left for the week anywhere.  Fun times. 

There are walkins prior to 4:00 PM at the fairness hills office right over the bridge in PA.  The other thing that worked for my buddy is he kept refreshing throughout the day and NJ appointments were opening up throughout the day.

2 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I was notified 7/24 of it moving forward to the court. There's a Facebook group formed to post progress or read others New Jersey Shall Issue PCH.

Has anyone in Ocean County posted the received the permit?

Just now, Jim Jones said:

There are walkins prior to 4:00 PM at the fairness hills office right over the bridge in PA.  The other thing that worked for my buddy is he kept refreshing throughout the day and NJ appointments were opening up throughout the day.

I will have all my paperwork with me so I'll keep checking.  I am doing the Qual course in the morning on Wed. 

1 hour ago, 10X said:

I'm in Morris county and my local PD accepted copies of my Passport and DL.

State police says Passport and DL are good - file:///home/doink/Downloads/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

29 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I'm in Morris county and my local PD accepted copies of my Passport and DL.

State police says Passport and DL are good - file:///home/doink/Downloads/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

Thanks.  I can't open that, but I'll take your word for it.  I have seen more references to passports in this thread than to birth certificates.

I'd been going by this link, which I assume was an old one the state never bothered to update:  https://www.nj.gov/oag/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

Thanks.  I can't open that, but I'll take your word for it.  I have seen more references to passports in this thread than to birth certificates.

I'd been going by this link, which I assume was an old one the state never bothered to update:  https://www.nj.gov/oag/njsp/firearms/pdf/Permit_To_Carry_Instructions.pdf

I went birth certificate and Drivers license.

3 minutes ago, 10X said:

Here's the site to bookmark.  They have links to the updated forms:

https://www.nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml

Applying for a Permit to Carry a Handgun
The following instructions are the same for the initial and renewal application
1. YOU MUST APPLY IN PERSON
Out of State Resident – apply at a non-toll road State Police Barracks closest to your residence.
In State Resident – apply to your local police department (State Police patrolled areas apply to local
Barracks.)
*PLEASE CALL YOUR LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT OR STATE POLICE BARRACKS PRIOR TO APPLYING –
DO NOT JUST SHOW UP
PLEASE PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
1. Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and
Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card

2. Three (3) State of New Jersey Applications For Permit To Carry A Handgun, form SP642. Must be
double sided and notarized.
3. Four (4) color passport size photographs.
4. Consent for Mental Health Search, form SP066.
5. Written proof of ownership and qualification with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying.
a. Proof of ownership can be a purchase receipt or purchase permit or a notarized letter of
ownership listing make, model, and serial number of handgun(s).
b. Written qualification must be within six (6) months of application and include
Instructors Name and Certification, make, model, caliber and serial number of
handgun(s) you intend to carry.
6. Money Order in the amount of $50.00 payable to; “Treasurer, State of New Jersey”
** ALL APPLICANTS (INITIAL AND RENEWAL) FOR PERMIT TO CARRY A HANDGUN MUST BE
FINGERPRINTED. INSTRUCTIONS FOR FINGER PRINTING WILL BE PROVIDED AT THE TIME OF
APPLICATION.
** THE REQUIRED WRITTEN FIREARMS QUALIFICATION, IN ACCORDANCE WITH N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.4(B),
CAN BE OBTAINED AT MOST FIREARM RANGES THROUGH OUT THE STATE. A LIST IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON
OUR WEBSITE, WWW.NJSP.ORG > PUBLIC INFORMATION > FIREARMS INFORMATION > NEW JERSEY
SHOOTING RANGES FOR RPO QUALIFICATION.
** A NEW JERSEY PERMIT TO CARRY IS VALID FOR TWO (2) YEARS FROM TIME OF APPROVAL.
** IF ANY OF THE PRECEDING IS NOT COMPLETE OR INCORRECT THE APPLICATION WILL BE RETURNED
AND YOU WILL HAVE TO RE-APPLY.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

When the NJSP instructions first came out, they did NOT have "passport" - only birth cert or naturalization cert. NJSP has since updated their instructions to include Passport. GFH still has old instructions.

You are good to go with passport and DL.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CJack said:

When the NJSP instructions first came out, they did NOT have "passport" - only birth cert or naturalization cert. NJSP has since updated their instructions to include Passport. GFH still has old instructions.

You are good to go with passport and DL.

They also changed 1.5” passport to passport size photo

5 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

They may have updated their guidance section, but the form still says 1.5 x 1.5

351708558_Screenshotfrom2022-08-0117-07-23.png.66bbf00ec96a0c0a3f73cfc5be3c9a18.png

typical.  According to the State Departments website, passport photos are 2x2 with the head between 1" and 1.4" and centered on a white background. 

2 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

typical.  According to the State Departments website, passport photos are 2x2 with the head between 1" and 1.4" and centered on a white background. 

Yup.

I trimmed my passport photos to 1.5 x 1.5 just in case...