CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

12 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

Is anyone aware that if your ccw application will be rejected, later you will need to specify this every time you are applying for pistol permits or whatever is firearms related? I heard some township judges already said - don't even bother applying.

So what does a township judge have to say about it....isn't it county....  ?

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

Is anyone aware that if your ccw application will be rejected, later you will need to specify this every time you are applying for pistol permits or whatever is firearms related? I heard some township judges already said - don't even bother applying.

I thought about that.  Now you have to disclose "Yes" that at some point in your life, you have been rejected for a permit.  Now you're on the 'list' and can easily be denied.  So now they can easily mass reject people b/c of previous records.

24 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

I thought about that.  Now you have to disclose "Yes" that at some point in your life, you have been rejected for a permit.  Now you're on the 'list' and can easily be denied.  So now they can easily mass reject people b/c of previous records.

Right and that risk is for dream price, you might be walking around your house with the pistol in you pants. Walking longer distance than this is already prohibited... Another talks that our smart ass gov whats to restrict on driving with the gun on turnpike and garden state. 

7 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

Right and that risk is for dream price, you might be walking around your house with the pistol in you pants. Walking longer distance than this is already prohibited... Another talks that our smart ass gov whats to restrict on driving with the gun on turnpike and garden state. 

If I'm not mistaken, we've heard from residents who were denied NJ carry permits in years past, and later disclosing the denial didn't affect their ability to get a P2P.  The reasons for the denial matter.

Just returned from NJSP, Hamilton, Mercer County. 

Trooper was nice enough, but clueless. And I couldn't see him. They have the glass tinted so dark it is basically one-way. I find that disrespectful to the public. I'm sure they would claim safety, but it's already bullet proof glass and the doors are locked 24x7, you cannot get into the lobby without being buzzed in. Once in the lobby, you have no place to go either. Years ago, the outer doors were unlocked and the glass, while tinted, allowed you to see the person you were speaking with. 

With that small rant over, on to the topic. He didn't know what I was supposed to turn in and went by what I told him. I did the 1.5" square passport photos. Side note: the passport photo software has an option for 40mmx40mm, 1.5" is just about 38mm. So I bought the 40mmx40mm and cut them out myself. The pdf on the NJSP website for instructions to apply and the application itself had a different format for the payee on the MO. I asked the Trooper which to put down, he said the one on the application. I don't think he knew he had to witness me sign the Mental Health form. He didn't know what proof of ID was required. I had already made a copy of BC and provided that. 

He looked at everything said, looks good, you'll get contacted if there's a problem. I said wait, I need info from you for fingerprinting. He said go to the website and schedule it. I said I need a code that identifies this Barracks and a case number. He asked another Trooper and all they knew to give me was the ORI number. Knew nothing else besides to tell me to call between 9-5 and ask for the Firearms Investigation Unit. I tried the ORI on the identego website, it rejected it. I went back inside and showed him just because. 

So now, I wait to call in the morning. In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter if I was able to book something today or tomorrow. Either way I figure I will need to travel to Pa for an appointment on Saturday. Possible benefit is I will find out a little bit more about the process when I call. Doubtful, but you never know. 

• Informative 1

Ok. I am a 10 plus year jersey 'restticted', """carry""" permit holder. 35 year jersey BS """FID""" holder.

As far as the passport pics. I cut mine down to *around* 1.5 inches on the kitchen counter with the same scissors I use to cut open salami, soppressata packaging, (stains and all.) Once the permit is ready, jersey will 'glue' your pic to the back portion of the jersey """carry""" permit on a crude piece of thick paper and it looks 3rd Grade, maybe 1st Grader even. Making a fuss over this passport pic thing is really not needed.

If you get denied. And you go for a non-res out of state permit, i.e. NH. If they ask if you were denied. Not sure how one would handle that, but they (America), know jersey is MESSED UP on anything 2A or 1A or 5A or 14A... etc... So not sure(?)

NOW... There is literally 4-6 differing jersey """carry""" permit standards. 

1. LE

2. RPO

3. Armored

4. SORA 'Red Card'

5. Civilian (possible location restricted) """"carry"""" permits.

6. Insert Future Jersey NON-Sense.

My Main Concern:

Is all the radical far left judges in those SUPER BLUE counties in BLUE jersey (We know who they are...) who will commit some kinda self styled 'insurrection' from their obstructionist bench. With all these CCW applications now in their possession we will see their True Colors. We need MANY MANY MORE Lawsuits. STILL.

2 hours ago, leo-польд said:

As has been stated, the reason for the denial is important. I was denied in 2018, purely on the grounds of lack of justifiable need. My criminal and mental health records were fine. My references said I was fine. The judge mentioned the TRO my ex-wife arranged for me during our divorce, which was dismissed a week after it was issued, and he said that was not a concern. He only denied me for lack of JN. Since then I have been approved for an FID change of address, multiple handgun purchase permits, and OGAM exemption and all the NICS checks that go along with executing those handgun permits, as well a several long guns.

Lack of JN is not an offense. Requiring JN was actually an offense.

Declaring my denial has never caused any issues, including renewing my UT permit and getting a change of address on my NH one. Similarly, it wasn't an issue getting my PA LTCF.

Stop letting NJ get into your head and making you assume the worst. Stockholm is a long, long way from here.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Papers filed July 22 in Edison, Middlesex County. July 25 drove 60 miles to an Identigo in Pennsylvania that had plenty of time slots. 

I and at least one of my references have heard nothing as of August 1. Don’t know if the other two references heard anything. 

What actually happens after 60 days. If permit is not approved or denied?

11 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Papers filed July 22 in Edison, Middlesex County. July 25 drove 60 miles to an Identigo in Pennsylvania that had plenty of time slots. 

I and at least one of my references have heard nothing as of August 1. Don’t know if the other two references heard anything. 

What actually happens after 60 days. If permit is not approved or denied?

None of my refs heard anything either. I applied in early July 

5 hours ago, Mr.G said:

Yes I know it’s Jersey but unless you’re denied for a felony or something actually criminal then it won't be a problem. 

but if your app is simply returned then you aren’t actually denied…

22 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

Yes I know it’s Jersey but unless you’re denied for a felony or something actually criminal then it will be a problem. 

but if your app is simply returned then you aren’t actually denied…

I tend to agree with a prior poster that it's the reason for the denial.   I also suspect we may see more applications returned versus rejected where the application is deemed "incomplete" in the case that new standardized requirements are announced and applied and pending applications do not meet the requirements.  This was always an inherent risk on being an early applicant.   

I just wish the process was a little more transparent on status.  Confirmation of an accepted complete application would be helpful as a start, simply to make the applicant aware of whether anything else is needed.   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrAceJD said:

I tend to agree with a prior poster that it's the reason for the denial.   I also suspect we may see more applications returned versus rejected where the application is deemed "incomplete" in the case that new standardized requirements are announced and applied and pending applications do not meet the requirements.  This was always an inherent risk on being an early applicant.   

Yes, I made a typo. We agree with each other here. 

Does the consent for mental background check need to be notorized or just signed by the local PD accepting the application? Also one of the above posts has a link for down loading application forms. The consent for mental background is dated , SP-66 Rev:7/19 and asks for 2 previous addresses. I downloaded another one dated, SP-66 Rev:2/04 and it doesn't ask for past addresses. Are either OK?

41 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

I signed my mental health form at the Police Station in front of the clerk who received the application and she witnessed it. There was no spot for it to be notarized. 

Got it , thanks. Which form did you use, with or without past address's

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you have a link to instructions showing that the consent form for mental health records search (S. P. 066) must be witnessed by whomever you turn your form into? Because I had someone else witness mine. I have the completed, unsigned form saved as a pdf, so It woiuld be trivial to print another copy without a witness name and signature, but it would be annoying to show up and be told I did it wrong...

NJSP Woodbine has the "buzz-in" lobby door set-up, but not the darkened glass. OTOH, I think they may have been trained to mumble their name in such a way as to make it unintelligible when they answer the phone. I have yet to speak to anyone there that I didn't need to ask their name at least a second time...

yes filled out and printed several copies.

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

Do you have a link to instructions showing that the consent form for mental health records search (S. P. 066) must be witnessed by whomever you turn your form into? Because I had someone else witness mine. I have the completed, unsigned form saved as a pdf, so It woiuld be trivial to print another copy without a witness name and signature, but it would be annoying to show up and be told I did it wrong...

NJSP Woodbine has the "buzz-in" lobby door set-up, but not the darkened glass. OTOH, I think they may have been trained to mumble their name in such a way as to make it unintelligible when they answer the phone. I have yet to speak to anyone there that I didn't need to ask their name at least a second time...

I do not recall where I read or why I was under the impression it had to be witnessed by the person accepting it. 

2 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I do not recall where I read or why I was under the impression it had to be witnessed by the person accepting it. 

It doesn't say it anywhere that I can find, but it is what NJSP seem to want to do.

In the good ol' days, before FARS, I would have someone else witness it for me and it was never an issue.

When I handed my packet in to NJSP for the carry permit, the Sgt. at the desk signed it as well

My guess is that they trust another NJSP Trooper, more than an ordinary person.

3 minutes ago, samiam said:

I guess I'll play it safe and print out an unsigned and unwtnessed copy, when the time comes to submit. I had done quite a bit of web searching for instructions to complete S. P. 066, and came up with bupkis. Now, watch them tell me I need to provide my own witness when that time comes...

I plan to go in with one unwitnessed, and one witnessed, because my town is quite obstructionist and has played the 'we can't sign/only we can sign' game before.   I'll also  bring 1.5" and 2" passport photo sets because sending me away for the wrong photo size is just the kind of nonsense I expect them to pull.  I'm planning to shoot the full HQC-1 course so they can't complain about that.   

I anticipate them then playing the 'we can't accept applications because we are awaiting guidance from the state' card that a few other departments seem to be falling back to.   At least I'll have a strong case to take to the NJ Strikeforce lawyers.

• Like 1

Just now, 124gr9mm said:

My town requires that the Mental Health form be witnessed by them, but they have a stack of extra blank forms available if necessary.

Mine is the same...they want you to sign in front of them and then they witness it.  Same as it was pre-FARS days.

Called the Barracks this morning. Spoke with a Trooper in the FIU. He found my packet, reviewed it and verified it was complete. Gave me the info I needed to schedule an appointment for prints, which is about an hour away from home since I did not wish to wait several weeks for someplace closer. 

When I asked him, he was vague on the process moving forward. Pretty much I wait to be contacted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

I guess I'll play it safe and print out an unsigned and unwtnessed copy, when the time comes to submit. I had done quite a bit of web searching for instructions to complete S. P. 066, and came up with bupkis. Now, watch them tell me I need to provide my own witness when that time comes...

Back before the FARS system - every township/city I turned in a SP066 for FID/PP required me to sign in person.