CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 minutes ago, CJack said:

Because as much as they all say they support Constitution, 2A blah blah blabh, they actually dont. Everyone up and down the policy, law, and justice system are losing their sh*t about the prospect of People actually carrying.   This is not specific to NJ.   Take Texas for example, they pull some sh8t for being so "republican" and "constitutional".  Fng Vermont had Constitutional carry long before any of those idiots who claim they are all about Constitution.

Coming back to NJ, you should read comments in some of the 2A groups. It starts off as why everyone should train, then goes into how everyone should get medical training and then degenerates into how some dude who couldn't shoot well passed quals, they dont deserve PTC and how irresponsible and dangerous People are for not taking some training this or training that. If regular internet dic*s starts to call for some type of class system, imagine Law Enforcement, Judges and Politicians. Ofcourse they want to double, triple check, drag their feet.

1 hour ago, ToddD said:

Mt. Laurel PD has been fantastic in the past. This go around?  Fucking awful. 

Dropped off app on 7/5. Fingerprints done on 7/7. Detective just called my references and work to verify employment today. 

Pretty pissed that they sat on this for a month. 

Double check the version of the application you submitted and that the date was most up to date per your app date. I almost submitted the OLD version then a revised came out late june/early july. IIRC the revised version asks for your phone and email, they removed "business phone". Would hate to see you get it sent back for being an out of date version of the app.

Everything was current. PD gave me old form in their packet. I downloaded updated one and submitted that. I dotted all my I’s and crossed all my T’s.

Thanks though. Appreciate the response. I’m just venting as there is really nothing else I can do about it at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Everything was current. PD gave me old form in their packet. I downloaded updated one and submitted that. I dotted all my I’s and crossed all my T’s.

Thanks though. Appreciate the response. I’m just venting as there is really nothing else I can do about it at the moment. 

I hear you!

My understanding is you don't need to take a safety course. Quote from NJSP update " The applicant is not mandated to complete an LEOPIC firearms proficiency course. The applicant is only required to demonstrate  safe handling of a firearm to their certified firearms instructor". I assume you do this by qualifying at a range. My research shows that entailed shooting from the ready position, 50 rounds at a FBI Q target, 24rds @7yds, 14 rds @ 10yds, 6rds @ 15yds and 6rds @ 25Yds. Can someone post what the actual qualification was and what form was used to submit. I know a certified instructor but does he just give a letter or is there an actual form?

3 minutes ago, MB24 said:

My understanding is you don't need to take a safety course. Quote from NJSP update " The applicant is not mandated to complete an LEOPIC firearms proficiency course. The applicant is only required to demonstrate  safe handling of a firearm to their certified firearms instructor". I assume you do this by qualifying at a range. My research shows that entailed shooting from the ready position, 50 rounds at a FBI Q target, 24rds @7yds, 14 rds @ 10yds, 6rds @ 15yds and 6rds @ 25Yds. Can someone post what the actual qualification was and what form was used to submit. I know a certified instructor but does he just give a letter or is there an actual form?

On the format, every range is doing their own thing. So you do what you feel comfortable or ask your PD of any preference. One NJ PD put up some sample documents on their website - https://www.oldbridge.com/page/firearms-applications .

Again, thats just sample and their suggestion. You do you.

10 minutes ago, CJack said:

On the format, every range is doing their own thing. So you do what you feel comfortable or ask your PD of any preference. One NJ PD put up some sample documents on their website - https://www.oldbridge.com/page/firearms-applications .

Again, thats just sample and their suggestion. You do you.

Direct link:  SAMPLE_qual_letter_from_instructor_7-13-2022.docx (live.com)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ToddD said:

Mt. Laurel PD has been fantastic in the past. This go around?  Fucking awful. 

Dropped off app on 7/5. Fingerprints done on 7/7. Detective just called my references and work to verify employment today. 

Pretty pissed that they sat on this for a month. 

My coworker is going thru Mount Laurel PD as well, he did his AFTER you (7/12)and they called references last week and no employment verification. things that make you go hmmmmm,  maybe they are going thru top to bottom stacks with bottom being the oldest. regardless it should've been in the county courthouse by now. 

2 hours ago, CapGuns&SnapsKid said:

My coworker is going thru Mount Laurel PD as well, he did his AFTER you (7/12)and they called references last week and no employment verification. things that make you go hmmmmm,  maybe they are going thru top to bottom stacks with bottom being the oldest. regardless it should've been in the county courthouse by now. 

It should. I just talked to my girl there around 3 today. She is great. I’m approved. Chief will be signing mine and 9 others in the AM and she’s mailing to superior court tomorrow. So guarantee your buddies is with mine. She said we’re the first ten in our town. Feel free to give him a status update. 

as for discrepancy in calling employer, I’d assume it’s different detectives handling different folders. 

will get another update tomorrow as I have to go in for fingerprints. Let my CT nonresident expire like an idiot. Have to go through whole application process again. 

4 minutes ago, ToddD said:

will get another update tomorrow as I have to go in for fingerprints. Let my CT nonresident expire like an idiot. Have to go through whole application process again. 

My excuse is Covid - Covid closed the places I usually get prints. Now I’m in the same boat. Have to redo my CT pistol permit, which I have to have now since I’m there for work 4-6x per year 1-2 weeks at a time. 

17 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

My excuse is Covid - Covid closed the places I usually get prints. Now I’m in the same boat. Have to redo my CT pistol permit, which I have to have now since I’m there for work 4-6x per year 1-2 weeks at a time. 

Sucks. Where abouts do you work up there?

Just checking in from Essex County.  Local PD very easy to work with but appears at a loss as to how things will actually play out. Submitted two different size photos because of conflict between directions and application form. The locals do nothing other than send the entire packet to the county. I was advised this could take a very long time...like a few months. The county is notorious for kicking back apps for things like a missing comma in "Treasurer, State of New Jersey". We are all assuming that payee will be honored rather than, or in addition to, that listed on the njsp form. Nevertheless, everything has been submitted and prints done. So I guess we're at T-minus 60 days and counting down. For the life of me, I cannot understand the substantive conflicts between the directions and the application form considering both were revised in June. It would seem that two documents, created by the same agency, in the same time frame, for the same purpose, posted to the same website that are so intimately tied to the successful negotiation of a process so fastidious that a comma could result in a denial, would  have a little greater care in the production. 

15 minutes ago, Kirvy said:

Just checking in from Essex County.  Local PD very easy to work with but appears at a loss as to how things will actually play out. Submitted two different size photos because of conflict between directions and application form. The locals do nothing other than send the entire packet to the county. I was advised this could take a very long time...like a few months. The county is notorious for kicking back apps for things like a missing comma in "Treasurer, State of New Jersey". We are all assuming that payee will be honored rather than, or in addition to, that listed on the njsp form. Nevertheless, everything has been submitted and prints done. So I guess we're at T-minus 60 days and counting down. For the life of me, I cannot understand the substantive conflicts between the directions and the application form considering both were revised in June. It would seem that two documents, created by the same agency, in the same time frame, for the same purpose, posted to the same website that are so intimately tied to the successful negotiation of a process so fastidious that a comma could result in a denial, would  have a little greater care in the production. 

I may regret saying this, but no one is getting rejected for a comma. As sleepy Joe would say that’s “malarkey”!

I had called NJSP to check status on my app. They were waiting on my out of state mental health. I guess they reach out to every state you have lived in to get medical records. I was two weeks plus into my application and no movement due to this. Just letting you all know in case you haven't lived in NJ for the last 10 years they may be waiting on mental health records from other states so this might hold you up a bit. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

I’m a director at a nonprofit in the Hartford area. I also have family down near Groton (Navy). 

Nice.  I grew up in Fairfield County. I don’t miss the type of people up there( Fairfield County) but I do miss the landscape/scenery. Beautiful state.