CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

12 minutes ago, Grayson6074 said:

You got ripped off on the notary, unless you did it out of state. Notaries are typically only allowed to charge $2.50 per notary in New Jersey, that is what the UPS Store in Rockaway charges. They also did the passport photos $13 and gave me a set of 6 1.5 by 1.5 photos. 

It may also be illegal to charge more than $2.50 per notarial act. As a notary the state only allows me to charge $2.50 per act. 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Big update for Ocean County. Called the court. Talked to the Judges Law Clerk. Once she approves them she then sends them back to local PD for local PD to deliver to us. He didn’t see my name in her list she currently needs to approve, but he said that could be because she may have already approved it and sent back to local PD. He said call back in a couple weeks if I hadn’t heard anything but they are approving them! Super nice guy and very helpful!

I'm also in Ocean, have you contact information for that judge? My application was forwarded a few weeks ago, and I'd like to follow up in a week or two. Thanks

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

You're scaring me a bit by citing a notarization of firearm ownership. Can you provide more specific details? I have my copy of my Permit to Purchase and Form of Registry. That is the document my qualification instructors, etc. have required to admit me to the qual exercises for the purpose of recording the identity of the firearm with which I qualify on their certification, and otherwise demonstrate ownership. What other documented proof is required, and why does that need to be notarized? 

You don't need anything else. A notarized declaration of ownership is an alternative if you don't have copies of the executed PtPP forms or a receipt from the purchase.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I'm also in Ocean, have you contact information for that judge? My application was forwarded a few weeks ago, and I'd like to follow up in a week or two. Thanks

Honorable Rochelle Gizinksi 732-504-0700 X 64230 the Clerk is who will answer. He didn’t give me his name but very helpful. Keep us posted!

• Like 1

My local pd told me they just handed in all of the July apps to the detective in charge to review and do backgrounds. The issue now is that he’s on vacation. After that it goes to the chief then off to the courts. I am at 1 month now. I’m sure this will be a several month process. 

22 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Big update for Ocean County. Called the court. Talked to the Judges Law Clerk. Once she approves them she then sends them back to local PD for local PD to deliver to us. He didn’t see my name in her list she currently needs to approve, but he said that could be because she may have already approved it and sent back to local PD. He said call back in a couple weeks if I hadn’t heard anything but they are approving them! Super nice guy and very helpful!

Great news, so it sounds like the court is not sitting on these. Who did you speak with, what extension? I'm in TR. Thanks

2 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Great news, so it sounds like the court is not sitting on these. Who did you speak with, what extension? I'm in TR. Thanks

Honorable Rochelle Gizinksi 732-504-0700 X 64230 the Clerk is who will answer. He didn’t give me his name but very helpful. Keep us posted!

22 hours ago, Kirvy said:

So...still not clear as to what purpose a judge serves at this point. If there is no criminal record, no psych holds, quals endorsed by certified ranges/instructors, and your hand picked references aren't abducted before they're contacted, what discretion does a judge have to withhold? And if just a rubber stamp, what would justify a delay?

Judge is still necessary because the statute has not changed. The only change is NJAG directive which removes the "justifiable need" from the process. Everything else is the same.

1 minute ago, Jim Jones said:

Honorable Rochelle Gizinksi 732-504-0700 X 64230 the Clerk is who will answer. He didn’t give me his name but very helpful. Keep us posted!

HA, I hadn't scrolled down all the way yet, thanks man.

I'm looking for opinions on proof of ownership.

One of the handguns I plan on qualifying with I purchased as a resident of NY and I still have a NY Permit to carry a pistol as I still have my residence there.

This handgun as well as all the other handguns I purchased in NY are on the permit.

Does anyone think that this would be sufficient for proof of ownership and does anyone see any downside to showing proof of all the other handguns I do not plan on qualifying with.

I'm still a resident of NJ in case anyone was going to ask.

Just now, brucin said:

One of the handguns I plan on qualifying with I purchased as a resident of NY and I still have a NY Permit to carry a pistol as I still have my residence there.

This handgun as well as all the other handguns I purchased in NY are on the permit.

Does anyone think that this would be sufficient for proof of ownership and does anyone see any downside to showing proof of all the other handguns I do not plan on qualifying with.

That's fine, in my case I went into Word and wrote an attestation that I legally procured the following firearms with the make, model, caliber, and serial number, then had that notarized, my chief of police said that's perfect. 

7 minutes ago, Maciej said:

That's fine, in my case I went into Word and wrote an attestation that I legally procured the following firearms with the make, model, caliber, and serial number, then had that notarized, my chief of police said that's perfect. 

Thanks for the tip. My friend is a notary and will notarize that for free and I don't have to reveal all my other stuff.

5 hours ago, dpas1973 said:

Has anyone actually got approved yet? I submitted all my stuff July 5th and got a email yesterday that the chief has to sign and then go to the court house. Was wondering if bergen county makes you do a zoom session with a judge like other counties?

Bergen County is dragging its feet. Multiple reports indicate (FB and my PD) that bergen county PDs got opportunity to turn in application this week. There are some reports that the applications were turned into "DA" office, what ever that means.  My hope is that PD is not going claim they did their job and court gonna claim they never got them, in the meantime applications rot in some "DA" office until cows come home.

Judge Kazlau of superior court is the one who processes permit applications in Bergen County.   201-221-0700 Ext 25512.

24 minutes ago, brucin said:

I typed up a letter that says "To whom it may concern:

This letter serves as my certification that I am the lawful owner of the following handguns:

"

I signed and dated it and had my signature notarized.  The trooper at my local station accepted it this morning.  We had a long talk about the process and he said he wasn't sure why there was a requirement for proof of ownership, if I bought a gun legally in NJ he can look it up in the database.  If I didn't, I can just write a letter which doesn't prove or disprove anything.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Submitted my application this morning.  The trooper at Bridgeton Barracks has always been very helpful and takes the time to explain everything. Some information I gleaned from our conversation:

• So far he estimates that I'm the 20th person to drop off an application at the station.  I would have expected it was more.
  • The background check and paperwork review is done at the local barracks and then sent to Trenton for a second review.  Trenton forwards to the superior court.  Once approved, the court sends it back to Trenton and Trenton makes the card and forwards it to the local barracks.  I'm sure that the process is different if you're not going through NJSP.
  • He spoke to someone at the superior court who told him (1) They don't have direction on the process yet. (2) hearings will most likely not be required - although they always have been in the past. 
  • I asked if he knew if there would be restricted type permits issued that would limit what we carry.  He said that he had been told we could carry only what we have submitted proof of ownership.  Guns purchased in the future would also be legal because there was a paper trail to prove proof of ownership.   That is when he told me he didn't know why that would be since he can look up any firearm we've purchased in NJ.
  • He also said that the process will be long enough that fingerprinting won't hold up the process. He and Trenton won't have permits ready for the court "any time soon" so the fingerprints will be added to the file whenever they get there - no hurry on prints.  That said, I signed up for prints in PA for tomorrow - not because I'm in a hurry (but I am) but because there are no appointments available in NJ.  You can only schedule 7 days out and all locations show 0 appointments available in the next 7 days.

He admitted that there is a lot about the process he doesn't know yet and he said "I think" or "I have heard" a few times so the above information may be correct or not - and he was honest about that.  We also talked about a lot of different things so I might have remembered part of the conversation incorrectly too.  But...I think the above is pretty accurate.

• Informative 1

On 8/5/2022 at 1:26 PM, Mr.Stu said:

You don't need anything else. A notarized declaration of ownership is an alternative if you don't have copies of the executed PtPP forms or a receipt from the purchase.

I'm in Toms River and that's what my PD accepted. Single sheet with my name/address/NJFPID#. I attest to ownership of the following handguns I intend to carry. The pistol purchase permits are on file with the TRPD and the NJSP. Then I listed make/model/serial# for each. Signed and dated in front of the notary and she notarized it.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:57 PM, maintenanceguy said:

I typed up a letter that says "To whom it may concern:

This letter serves as my certification that I am the lawful owner of the following handguns:

"

I signed and dated it and had my signature notarized.  The trooper at my local station accepted it this morning.  We had a long talk about the process and he said he wasn't sure why there was a requirement for proof of ownership, if I bought a gun legally in NJ he can look it up in the database.  If I didn't, I can just write a letter which doesn't prove or disprove anything.

In a world where law breakers were prosecuted and put in jail requiring proof of ownership sort of makes sense. 

it is common practice for a gang to share a gun. Having a general carry permit would allow the gang to have one person with a carry permit carry a gun around without risk of being arrested and prosecuted for unlawful carry. Adding proof of ownership makes it one step harder for the real bad apples to get a permit. 

23 minutes ago, quikz said:

I had a bad feeling about all this. Like I said a few pages back. The courts maybe a Trap. Jersey is beyond help.

Right now it’s just a rumor. And if they’re denying because of insufficient direction from NJSP that’s easily fixed. 

Whether true or not, the idea that the Judicial branch takes direction from the Executive does not make sense to me. The Judicial branch takes what has been written by the Legislative branch and makes sure the Executive branch is following it correctly.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Submitted my application this morning.  The trooper at Bridgeton Barracks has always been very helpful and takes the time to explain everything. Some information I gleaned from our conversation:

• So far he estimates that I'm the 20th person to drop off an application at the station.  I would have expected it was more.
  • The background check and paperwork review is done at the local barracks and then sent to Trenton for a second review.  Trenton forwards to the superior court.  Once approved, the court sends it back to Trenton and Trenton makes the card and forwards it to the local barracks.  I'm sure that the process is different if you're not going through NJSP.
  • He spoke to someone at the superior court who told him (1) They don't have direction on the process yet. (2) hearings will most likely not be required - although they always have been in the past. 
  • I asked if he knew if there would be restricted type permits issued that would limit what we carry.  He said that he had been told we could carry only what we have submitted proof of ownership.  Guns purchased in the future would also be legal because there was a paper trail to prove proof of ownership.   That is when he told me he didn't know why that would be since he can look up any firearm we've purchased in NJ.
  • He also said that the process will be long enough that fingerprinting won't hold up the process. He and Trenton won't have permits ready for the court "any time soon" so the fingerprints will be added to the file whenever they get there - no hurry on prints.  That said, I signed up for prints in PA for tomorrow - not because I'm in a hurry (but I am) but because there are no appointments available in NJ.  You can only schedule 7 days out and all locations show 0 appointments available in the next 7 days.

He admitted that there is a lot about the process he doesn't know yet and he said "I think" or "I have heard" a few times so the above information may be correct or not - and he was honest about that.  We also talked about a lot of different things so I might have remembered part of the conversation incorrectly too.  But...I think the above is pretty accurate.

I was able to schedule my fingerprints over 3 weeks out.   Click on the box it will give me the option to schedule past 7 days.

Regarding those four photos...

I took a picture of myself, brought it onto a Windows 10 PC. Using Photo to edit the picture I indicated I wanted a square image, and resized/moved and cropped the image to put my face and shoulder portion in the manner specified for a U.S. passport photo. Copied that image into Paint four times and placed the four into a two x two image block. Uploaded that image to Walmart photo, specified a 4x4 inch print, matte finish, and zoomed the image to fit the 4x4 space.

The end result was a single 4x4 print with four identical images on it that I can cut into four photos. I ordered three of those from Walmart for store pickup. So I'll have 12 photos for $0.58. In case I'm clumsy. :lol:

If you want to test an image, upload it to Walmart and use their editor to show you how the image should be placed. Doing that costs nothing. Specify you want a passport photo.

I didn't have them print a 'passport photo' because they print them two at a time for about $17, and the appear to arrive on some kind of card with 'biometric' information on it, none of which I need. Walgreens does the same thing for about the same cost.

6 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

Keep in mind a lot of people didn't have a carry gun and are waiting on permits to buy one. I know of at least three people in that instance. 

Then there's people like me where I have something I could use, but not what I want particularly. Additionally, I figure there will be lots of fucking around by the state. I'll let you guys figure it out and just gave money to FPC and ANJRPC instead.