CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

15 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

I am sure I am missing something, but why do we care about going into a court, govt building or school? Seems pretty common sense these would be gun free zones. Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but this doesn’t sound like a big deal. Is it because this is the first step before we can’t carry anywhere?

We DO care about going into court, govt building or school (note its not just some kindergarden, its high schools, educational institutes, colleges, school grounds and lot more etc). I care about going to library and taking advantage of reading books that my tax payer dollars pay for.   I want to be able to go lobby of my PD and conduct business as usual without having to be treated like criminal.  I want to be able to go for a walk, jog and do other normal, free person does everyday on public college grounds if I happen to live near by. 

Point is, why am I (and you, and millions of law abiding) need to be punished unfairly for some "public safety, sensitive location" crap ?   They want to secure public safety, make it a mandatory death penalty for anyone who illegally uses firearms and commits murders, regardless of location. I will be ok with that.

Either one is in Govt's care and Govt guarantees safety of the person or one is FREE and can exercise 2A as they see fit and protect themselves.  Cannot  have stuff in the middle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, marlintag said:

Wow! that's fast!

An update from Middlesex county!

I called superior court today and they have no applications from my town, my PD hasn't approved or sent anyone's applications!

It looks like getting a permit smoothly and expeditiously is entirely dependent on what county you live in. I am unlucky enough to live in

one of the "rogue/obstructionist" counties.

If you don't mind, what town is that in Middlesex county? 

5 hours ago, mikelets456 said:

Is there a way to edit post #1 (OP) with instructions how/where/process for getting their permit (in/out) of state?

Also, could we list approval times and how many have been approved to date?

Sifting through 42 pages of conflicting information takes a lot of time with no real conclusion.

this letter from the NJSP should help

Yahoo Mail - Response to question.pdf

21 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I think it could be argued that the parking lot is public property, and not considered a sensitive area... that should be covered under Bruen. 

I think this is going to be a primary challenge moving forward as it would apply to any restricted property, like court houses and government buildings. 

But you are applying logic and you can't do that in NJ.  A county college is a public school paid for with taxpayer dollars so by your logic(with which I agree) the entire campus is public property and you should be able to carry.

31 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

But you are applying logic and you can't do that in NJ.  A county college is a public school paid for with taxpayer dollars so by your logic(with which I agree) the entire campus is public property and you should be able to carry.

The campus in general could be considered a sensitive area, just like the campus of a high school with athletic fields etc... I'm speaking in regards to your personal vehicle, parked in a lot. Of course it's NJ, that's why I said it would be a primary challenge. 

23 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I think it could be argued that the parking lot is public property, and not considered a sensitive area... that should be covered under Bruen. 

I think this is going to be a primary challenge moving forward as it would apply to any restricted property, like court houses and government buildings. 

NJ law says buildings or grounds for schools. Grounds means the entire property. The “good” news is that it’s “just” a disorderly persons offense. 

54 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

NJ law says buildings or grounds for schools. Grounds means the entire property. The “good” news is that it’s “just” a disorderly persons offense. 

NJ law will eventually be challenged, probably after they pass more restrictions. 

2 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Sure. But who wants to be a test case? 

It's a matter of getting one of the 2a groups to challenge the law, unless you want to go that route. Right now, it might be low on their list with the current challenges taking place in NJ. 

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Isn't there a Federal law too?

Gun free school zones act. Partially struck down, then “fixed.”  In free states you can carry on school property with a permit or license to carry. Others have parking lot safe storage - keep your gun in your car.

And yes - US v Lopez struck down the original law and made it so that you’ll only be prosecuted for crimes involving interstate or foreign commerce.

48 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

And yes - US v Lopez struck down the original law and made it so that you’ll only be prosecuted for crimes involving interstate or foreign commerce.

Interstate commerce anchors Federal jurisdiction.

It relates to any part of the firearm that traveled in interstate commerce, which means it covers pretty much every firearm.

1 hour ago, exfed2002 said:

Interstate commerce anchors Federal jurisdiction.

It relates to any part of the firearm that traveled in interstate commerce, which means it covers pretty much every firearm.

And this might be the biggest bastardization of the Constitution ever implemented. That is NOT what the interstate commerce clause was about.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

So to get back to the topic - it’s been a month and my references haven’t been contacted. What’s been your experience in that regard? Anyone had their app sent to the court and no references contacted? 

Not that I have heard. My references were all contacted and my application was approved within 13 days and sent to the superior court.  It has been with the superior court for 26 days.

Permit applied for July 22

Fingerprints July 25

Today Saturday August 13 got e-mail from a my Local PD on Middlesex County asking me to send emails of references to the Detective. 

The fact that I received the e-mail on a Saturday tells me the PD is working hard on getting the applications processed

8 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Fingerprints July 

Today Saturday August 13 got e-mail from a my Local PD on Middlesex County asking me to send emails of references to the Detective. 

The fact that I received the e-mail on a Saturday tells me the PD is working hard on getting the applications processed

Yea they actually called my last reference on a Sunday which I was shocked about.

46 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Fingerprints July 

If they want to contact your references by email, they need to put a space for it on the 642 form.   

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

If they want to contact your references by email, they need to put a space for it on the 642 form.   

There is a space for it on the online handgun purchase permit website. 

As far as I can tell carry permit applications are still paper and have not been revised

9 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Yea they actually called my last reference on a Sunday which I was shocked about.

If they call them on a weekday they can’t get overtime pay.  

• Agree 1