CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

13 hours ago, 45Doll said:

And this might be the biggest bastardization of the Constitution ever implemented. That is NOT what the interstate commerce clause was about.

Don't forget full faith and credit.  It applies to just about everything else............

On 8/12/2022 at 7:53 AM, RadioGunner said:

Here’s another one. He redacted all the info. Basically he had a restricted permit, applied to have the restrictions removed and it was granted.  This is the first one I’ve seen with both sides. Lists the gun but doesn’t say it’s restricted. 

87489DD6-8F51-4160-A7EF-361C5A66A584.jpeg

No restriction but can the prosecutor or overzealous LEO ding because you are not carrying your "qualified firearm"?!

1 hour ago, Mr.G said:

No restriction but can the prosecutor or overzealous LEO ding because you are not carrying your "qualified firearm"?!

Highly doubt it. If court issued no restrictions, then no restrictions apply to you. Plus, not like you’re carrying your qualifications cert around with you anyway. 

I’m concerned that we’re only hearing good news from certain counties. I know that as of last week my app was/still is with the Burlington county prosecutor’s office. As for my county that’s the furthest along in the process I’ve heard of. 

As soon as I hear reliable information that Burlington county has issued a permit I’ll update. Hopefully it’ll be my own permit. 

Others in quiet counties should do the same. 

4 hours ago, ToddD said:

I’m concerned that we’re only hearing good news from certain counties. I know that as of last week my app was/still is with the Burlington county prosecutor’s office. As for my county that’s the furthest along in the process I’ve heard of. 

As soon as I hear reliable information that Burlington county has issued a permit I’ll update. Hopefully it’ll be my own permit. 

Others in quiet counties should do the same. 

That's expected. 

I hear Morris being issued but not Sussex, even though we are in the same vicinage. When I dropped it off, NJSP told me it would be a while due to the backlog. They haven't cashed the money order yet. No references contacted either although I'm not sure they would. 

Here is another question - anyone who applied to NJSP (because your town has no local police, OR you're from out of state) been issued a permit yet? Money order cashed? 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, Mr.Stu said:

NJSP Washington Station has received my fingerptints and mental health stuff - next step is to send my app to the FIU for whatever they want to do with it. I'm not sure what they will be doing. 

Hi Mr. Stu, have you seen any movement on your app? I have not heard a thing, no references contacted and money order not cashed. 

Anyone anywhere in Monmouth County have any progress beyond PD?   I am wondering of the judge has still decided to not move on any of them?  The feedback a couple weeks back was that the judge would not process any.  Not sure if this was a false rumor or based in fact...

3 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

Hi Mr. Stu, have you seen any movement on your app? I have not heard a thing, no references contacted and money order not cashed. 

My references were phoned within a few days of submitting the app.

You applied via NJSP Washington?

Anyone know who actually handles Mental Health verification ?  5 weeks into this process and I am getting conflicting information. Two weeks ago I was told "background check completed and ready for Chief" and now am told that "we are waiting for mental health check from state" ?  Am I getting a run around ?

10 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

NJSP Sussex. 

Your best bet is to call them and politely inquire about the status.

Update on my app: I just called NJSP FIU because they didn't reply to my email from last Tuesday and they said my app is being sent to the court today. Curiously, the lady that answered the phone asked me what county - Hunterdon - and she then gave me my surname without me telling her. She hung up pretty quickly, so I was unable to asked her how she knew who I was. I'm guessing I'm one of the first from Hunterdon to go through NJSP.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CJack said:

Anyone know who actually handles Mental Health verification ?  5 weeks into this process and I am getting conflicting information. Two weeks ago I was told "background check completed and ready for Chief" and now am told that "we are waiting for mental health check from state" ?  Am I getting a run around ?

Curious have you lived out of state over the last 10 years? That seemed to hang up my application. They said they were waiting for the other states to respond. 

When I first moved here 15ish years ago and was getting my fid card that was a hold up for me. They were sitting on it because ct doesn’t have county level administration. When I called to get an update they asked for the nearest mental health facility to my town and then contacted them. Got the ball rolling. 

2 hours ago, CJack said:

It's your county adjuster. Every county has a mental health administrator and they have records if you've been committed. 

On 8/12/2022 at 9:53 AM, JackDaWack said:

I think it could be argued that the parking lot is public property, and not considered a sensitive area... that should be covered under Bruen. 

I think this is going to be a primary challenge moving forward as it would apply to any restricted property, like court houses and government buildings. 

I took a CCW course with a current LEO and this was brought up.  He said that his department had discussed this and that school parking lots are considered school property and illegal to carry there.  He also said that if you stop on a public road in a school zone, you would also be arrested.  I assume you could successfully fight that, but do you want to put yourself in that position and go through all that?    

On 8/14/2022 at 9:33 AM, Mr.G said:

On 8/14/2022 at 10:35 AM, glockdoc said:

Highly doubt it. If court issued no restrictions, then no restrictions apply to you. Plus, not like you’re carrying your qualifications cert around with you anyway. 

Not quite. In principal the test is intent and reasonable interpretation. There's a typographical error of selecting the wrong box to check, while the actual comments section specifically articulates the restriction based on the exact qualifying firearm that's identified by serial number. So I wouldn't say it's an overzealous prosecutor or law enforcement officer, just ones that are following what's called out on the permit. 

It seems like each county is treating it differently, but in Morris County is states to specifically refer to the accompanying order from the court, which references the firearms you've qualified with. 

8 minutes ago, ESB said:

I took a CCW course with a current LEO and this was brought up.  He said that his department had discussed this and that school parking lots are considered school property and illegal to carry there.  He also said that if you stop on a public road in a school zone, you would also be arrested.  I assume you could successfully fight that, but do you want to put yourself in that position and go through all that?    

The statute doesn't support the arrest in the school zone because the school zone is on school property. Can a cop misinterpret the law and make up a reason to arrest you? Absolutely. Then, as you said, you have to fight it in court.

The federal GFSZA law does say that possession within 1000ft of a school is prohibited but it also says that doesn't apply to holders of a license issued by the state. 

So on school property - third degree crime, but merely in a school zone, not really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So what is everyone's understanding of what the FIU's role is here for those that applied directly at NJSP? 

FIU plays role of PD, in that they conduct the primary background check, mental heal evaluation, fill out SP-407 (investigation report?), create full package and then send it to Superior Court judge if approved.

Submitted my application this morning to Mendham Boro PD. For me, it was a good experience. The detective the takes in the application was very nice and professional and we conversed a bit. Without him outright saying it, I feel confident in saying that he is pro our right to carry. Almost seemed excited about it, which is pretty cool. To me that was refreshing having grown up in north Jersey and having dealt with police of widely varying opinion. 

I scheduled my Identogo appointment as well. The first available appointment I could find was in Annandale on August 31. All the other locations that came up in my search didnt have any appointments available until the first, second, and even third weeks of September.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CJack said:

FIU plays role of PD, in that they conduct the primary background check, mental heal evaluation, fill out SP-407 (investigation report?), create full package and then send it to Superior Court judge if approved.

Hmm. So i guess the question is what does NJSP do? I had assumed all that would be done at SP level.  

26 minutes ago, g17owner said:

I scheduled my Identogo appointment as well. The first available appointment I could find was in Annandale on August 31. All the other locations that came up in my search didnt have any appointments available until the first, second, and even third weeks of September.

After I submitted my application in late July I had my finger prints scheduled and done in Pennsylvania. Identigo had LOTS of slots the next business day and they took walk ins. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Hmm. So i guess the question is what does NJSP do? I had assumed all that would be done at SP level.  

NJSP is the larger organization with many functions, including give you speeding tickets on certain highways..lol..  FIU is sub-division of NJSP that is responsible for all of Firearms Investigative Unit work.

6 minutes ago, CJack said:

NJSP is the larger organization with many functions, including give you speeding tickets on certain highways..lol..  FIU is sub-division of NJSP that is responsible for all of Firearms Investigative Unit work.

Lol .. I get you. But my question is what is their role in this particular process if FIU sounds like they do the nuts and bolts of everything? Are they just gathering the information and ensuring the application is complete so FIU can do everything else? Does everyones application go to FIU including local PD applications?

2 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Lol .. I get you. But my question is what is their role in this particular process if FIU sounds like they do the nuts and bolts of everything? Are they just gathering the information and ensuring the application is complete so FIU can do everything else? Does everyones application go to FIU including local PD applications?

It appears that the Trooper at the local barracks compiles all the information for the investigation, e.g. mental health check, fingerprints, checking references, etc. and then forwards your packet to the FIU for approval.