CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Ok here is my timeline.

1)Did shooters course on 7/3. Very easy 30 rounds, 10 at 5 yards, 10 at 7.5 yards, 10 at 10 yards. I was there for about an hour. $90

2) filled out 3 separate notarized applications at Bank of America.(you need an account)

3) Dropped off to Manchester PD on 7/5. Everyone in there was really excellent and helpful. Michael Lynch is the Investigator that handles these. Great guy

4)they give you additional reference documents that need to be filled out by your references on the application.  They hand them to you to avoid it being held up in the mail.  I had them completed that day and also dropped back off on 7/5

5) I got fingerprinted in the fairness hills PA identogo because they allowed walkins. This was also done on 7/5.

Important:the 60 day clock doesn’t start ticking until you are fingerprinted.

6)7/18 I received an email from Manchester PD stating it was sent to the superior court.

7) received phone call today to pick it up 8/16. I picked it up from the station and they were extremely helpful again.

Important. It states no restrictions but the judge also gives you a letter saying the ONLY guns you can carry are the ones listed on the card. Restrictions are regarding if it was for work and you could only carry while working etc.

other tip. I gave them 2” passport photos and they cut them to size. It wasn’t a problem.

i think that is everything. Happy to answer any questions.

8B493EDE-1534-4E93-A172-B08527EEF7BC.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative 1

Congrats Jim Jones.

Nice to see Ocean County pushing them out. 

Question about #4, the additional reference documents, are these in addition to the reference information you had to have filled out and signed on the actual application? I'm assuming you are referring to whatever correspondence the pd sends to your references AFTER they receive your application.

My 3 references have not received anything from my local pd as of yet, and I submitted everything necessary on 8/1.

8 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

Congrats Jim Jones.

Nice to see Ocean County pushing them out. 

Question about #4, the additional reference documents, are these in addition to the reference information you had to have filled out and signed on the actual application? I'm assuming you are referring to whatever correspondence the pd sends to your references AFTER they receive your application.

My 3 references have not received anything from my local pd as of yet, and I submitted everything necessary on 8/1.

Yes this was a separate document from the application references. I should have added they then call your references as well.

Just spoke to the Burlington county court again. They received my app and it was given to the prosecutors office yesterday. Now we see how long this portion of the process takes. My town (Mt Laurel) mailed it to them certified on 8/5. Find it hard to believe it took 10 days to go from Mt. Laurel to Mt. Holly, which means they’ve been sitting on it. 

Effing Burlington county…

1 hour ago, Jim Jones said:

Yes this was a separate document from the application references. I should have added they then call your references as well.

@Jim Jones shared your good news in another group and there was a follow up question:

Did you have to make a court appearance or speak to a judge prior to receiving your permit?

3 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

I just got the call from Manchester PD to come pick mine up. 42 days exactly!!!! Pics to follow! Thank you President Trump!!!!

Awesome!! I just put my package in today. Clerk said about a month wait. The courts will let me know if I'm approved. 

2 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Congrats to you!

55 minutes ago, ToddD said:

Just spoke to the Burlington county court again. They received my app and it was given to the prosecutors office yesterday. Now we see how long this portion of the process takes. My town (Mt Laurel) mailed it to them certified on 8/5. Find it hard to believe it took 10 days to go from Mt. Laurel to Mt. Holly, which means they’ve been sitting on it. 

Effing Burlington county…

Be thankful your not in MIddlesex! At least yours is moving to the court level....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just talked to the court clerk in Gloucester county. She said they are doing hearings once per month for permits, and it's a lot of work on top of a busy schedule. They are very backed up. She said they are requiring Zoom hearings, and will contact applicants via email with info about your hearing.

She said they are giving permits that are restricted to the specific guns you qualified with. If you want to add guns after you have the permit, you need to file a motion with the court (which you can do without a lawyer), and get scheduled for a new hearing. You don't need to go through the entire process again, but it will be time consuming.

3 minutes ago, snappy456 said:

I just talked to the court clerk in Gloucester county. She said they are doing hearings once per month for permits, and it's a lot of work on top of a busy schedule. They are very backed up. She said they are requiring Zoom hearings, and will contact applicants via email with info about your hearing.

She said they are giving permits that are restricted to the specific guns you qualified with. If you want to add guns after you have the permit, you need to file a motion with the court (which you can do without a lawyer), and get scheduled for a new hearing. You don't need to go through the entire process again, but it will be time consuming.

Was it Tracy?  Hmm that's interesting, I have mine scheduled for next Thursday and I know of other people that have theirs scheduled for the 29th.  

I didn't ask about adding new guns to the permit but it's good to know that we don't need to do the whole process over again for additional pistols.

8 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Was it Tracy?  Hmm that's interesting, I have mine scheduled for next Thursday and I know of other people that have theirs scheduled for the 29th.  

I didn't ask about adding new guns to the permit but it's good to know that we don't need to do the whole process over again for additional pistols.

Yes, it was Tracy. She was very nice, and helpful. I don't know why she said they're only doing them once per month if there are more than that this month.

Good luck with the hearing! Please let us know what that entails.

Just now, snappy456 said:

Yes, it was Tracy. She was very nice, and helpful. Good luck with the hearing! Please let us know what that entails.

Yeah she was really nice and helpful to me also.  I will post here after my hearing with all the details.

2 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Question  do I need a code or police ID # to use identgo

Yes. Your police department will need to give that to you. My township gave it to me before I submitted my other paperwork, and would not take the paperwork until the prints were done. Other townships want the paperwork first. Talk to your police clerk to find out how they want it. 

15 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

it’s basically just a reference number the local PD creates. Our PD uses the last name and birthday, something like smith042869.

snappy456’s PD was opposite of ours, I didn’t get the reference # until I turned in the paperwork.

25 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

The PD will give you a case number. However, the first thing you will be asked for is the service code. According to Gun for Hire's website, it is 2F164B for everybody. And when I put it in, it responded with the proper firearms related title: FIREARMS LICENSING-FIR-State&Fed

https://gunforhire.com/nj-ccw-permit/

At some point in the process, you will also be asked for the case number that the PD provided you.

6 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Ok here is my timeline.

1)Did shooters course on 7/3. Very easy 30 rounds, 10 at 5 yards, 10 at 7.5 yards, 10 at 10 yards. I was there for about an hour. $90

2) filled out 3 separate notarized applications at Bank of America.(you need an account)

3) Dropped off to Manchester PD on 7/5. Everyone in there was really excellent and helpful. Michael Lynch is the Investigator that handles these. Great guy

4)they give you additional reference documents that need to be filled out by your references on the application.  They hand them to you to avoid it being held up in the mail.  I had them completed that day and also dropped back off on 7/5

5) I got fingerprinted in the fairness hills PA identogo because they allowed walkins. This was also done on 7/5.

Important:the 60 day clock doesn’t start ticking until you are fingerprinted.

6)7/18 I received an email from Manchester PD stating it was sent to the superior court.

7) received phone call today to pick it up 8/16. I picked it up from the station and they were extremely helpful again.

Important. It states no restrictions but the judge also gives you a letter saying the ONLY guns you can carry are the ones listed on the card. Restrictions are regarding if it was for work and you could only carry while working etc.

other tip. I gave them 2” passport photos and they cut them to size. It wasn’t a problem.

i think that is everything. Happy to answer any questions.

8B493EDE-1534-4E93-A172-B08527EEF7BC.jpeg

Congratulations!  What I find interesting is there no mention in the timeline of your application packet being sent to the county prosecutor's office.  Apparently, Burlington County has seen fit to send a few of the applications there, according to what I've read in this thread.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  Again, congrats, and be safe out there!

1 hour ago, dilbert1967 said:

Congratulations!  What I find interesting is there no mention in the timeline of your application packet being sent to the county prosecutor's office.  Apparently, Burlington County has seen fit to send a few of the applications there, according to what I've read in this thread.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  Again, congrats, and be safe out there!

Sending the application to the prosecutors office is an option they have but not every county is doing it.

2 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

Thanks there is a letter from the judge that comes with the permit. It states ocean county prosecutors office was involved. I don’t know when though so I didn’t include it.  “Ocean county prosecutors office having filed no objection to issuance”

I dropped off my full packet this morning at my local PD (Hopatcong, NJ - Sussex County). The admin at the records desk said everything was ok and I was good to go...I asked her for my code to get finger prints and she said I did not need them since I had "activity" within the last 6 months (she was referring to my 2 pistol permits I put in for and received in June). I asked her to clarify exactly where that information came from and she said they received it from the state police....I told her that's not what I heard and she said she's been putting all applications through like that...

It goes against everything I've seen, including the June 30th email from Mark Campagna at the NJSP which was posted earlier in this thread. I'm thinking I should have insisted on speaking with one of the detectives or someone higher up at the dept. Do you guys think I should go back and get further clarification on this? Could be mistaken, but I don't recall seeing anyone else have this particular issue. I'd hate for months to go by only to find out my application is lost or rejected because my local PD didn't follow the directions. 

Had the qual at Bob's today with a fellow named Bob that was super nice. Really chill experience, had great convo with him while I was shooting. Got a bit distracted at 25 yds and ended up 249/250.

7/10/15/25 yards

Mentioned what OC reportedly did with issuing a letter limiting what you can carry, one of the instructors chimed in and said that's illegal.

Have to fly out to TX this weekend for their qual and then I'm at Shooters next week to see what's up with the multi-gun thing that they reportedly arent doing any longer, and to qualify with something else. Will post how it goes. 

1 hour ago, DJ42 said:

I dropped off my full packet this morning at my local PD (Hopatcong, NJ - Sussex County). The admin at the records desk said everything was ok and I was good to go...I asked her for my code to get finger prints and she said I did not need them since I had "activity" within the last 6 months (she was referring to my 2 pistol permits I put in for and received in June). I asked her to clarify exactly where that information came from and she said they received it from the state police....I told her that's not what I heard and she said she's been putting all applications through like that...

It goes against everything I've seen, including the June 30th email from Mark Campagna at the NJSP which was posted earlier in this thread. I'm thinking I should have insisted on speaking with one of the detectives or someone higher up at the dept. Do you guys think I should go back and get further clarification on this? Could be mistaken, but I don't recall seeing anyone else have this particular issue. I'd hate for months to go by only to find out my application is lost or rejected because my local PD didn't follow the directions. 

I wouldn’t trust that one bit. Different types of fingerprinting. Definitely call and ask for the detective. U are the only one I have heard this from.

2 hours ago, psychwarfare said:

Had the qual at Bob's today with a fellow named Bob that was super nice. Really chill experience, had great convo with him while I was shooting. Got a bit distracted at 25 yds and ended up 249/250.

7/10/15/25 yards

Mentioned what OC reportedly did with issuing a letter limiting what you can carry, one of the instructors chimed in and said that's illegal...

I don't see how it's illegal. Admin code says the judge can issue a restricted type permit.  Wait...let me change that... illegal constitutionally since it's an infringement to the right to bear arms.  but not illegal by NJ law.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

I wouldn’t trust that one bit. Different types of fingerprinting. Definitely call and ask for the detective. U are the only one I have heard this from.

Thanks, Jim.

Update from this morning - I went back and insisted to speak with a detective. He said the records lady must have thought that I had been finger printed in the last 6 months and that If I had been finger printed within the last 6 months I do not need to get reprinted for the CCW/PCH application...Not even going to get into with him on whether that's true or not but I said I had not been printed in the last 6 months I had just put in for the permits. He said they will get me the info I need to schedule fingerprints later today.

I feel bad for all the people who are going to be delayed or denied because they got wrong info from their PD.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DJ42 said:

Thanks, Jim.

Update from this morning - I went back and insisted to speak with a detective. He said the records lady must have thought that I had been finger printed in the last 6 months and that If I had been finger printed within the last 6 months I do not need to get reprinted for the CCW/PCH application...Not even going to get into with him on whether that's true or not but I said I had not been printed in the last 6 months I had just put in for the permits. He said they will get me the info I need to schedule fingerprints later today.

I feel bad for all the people who are going to be delayed or denied because they got wrong info from their PD.

Good call going back and questioning them!

51 minutes ago, DJ42 said:

Thanks, Jim.

Never know when those fingerprints might change...  :)