CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

2 hours ago, DJ42 said:

Thanks, Jim.

Update from this morning - I went back and insisted to speak with a detective. He said the records lady must have thought that I had been finger printed in the last 6 months and that If I had been finger printed within the last 6 months I do not need to get reprinted for the CCW/PCH application...Not even going to get into with him on whether that's true or not but I said I had not been printed in the last 6 months I had just put in for the permits. He said they will get me the info I need to schedule fingerprints later today.

I feel bad for all the people who are going to be delayed or denied because they got wrong info from their PD.

To be honest, when they look for the prints in the system, they will all be there.... not sure how they find them without a specific case number. 

If you have your FPID they use the same code for carry permits, there is only one Firearms code for Identigo in NJ. 

There is no time limit for getting prints, it's entirely discretionary, they picked an arbitrary 6 months time limit. 

There are some shitty PDs that make you refingerprint just for new pistol permits. 

8/15 - Package submitted to PD
8/16 - Fingerprinted @ Identogo location
8/17 - Identogo Message: Enrollment received - Your enrollment has been received and is being processed.

Will update this as my timeline progresses

For those of you that have called the FIU to check the status on your application, what number did you call? State police told me that FIU has had my application for a couple of weeks now. I'd like to call to check the status but not sure where. 

18 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

I don't see how it's illegal. Admin code says the judge can issue a restricted type permit.  Wait...let me change that... illegal constitutionally since it's an infringement to the right to bear arms.  but not illegal by NJ law.

Some people are getting permits that are marked No Restrictions AND have Qualified Firearms listed. This is confusing.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, snappy456 said:

Some people are getting permits that are marked No Restrictions AND have Qualified Firearms listed. This is confusing.

Someone posted ago... it means not restriction in carrying during work only, outside of work, or places, time, etc,.  But you must carry your qualified firearm.

I spoke with my PD (Hamilton) and they said they are issuing permits only for the gun you qualified with. So I called Shooters to see if I could just get the second signed off since they wouldn't do it last week and the guy (I think it was the owner) suggested just to get it as-is and deal with another gun later. I am going to do that but not entirely thrilled about it. My appointment for drop-off is tomorrow morning. Will update after on how it went.

8 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

Someone posted ago... it means not restriction in carrying during work only, outside of work, or places, time, etc,.  But you must carry your qualified firearm.

For now we all go through the process as is. Once all the civil rights lawsuits start to roll out, text and history at the time of the ratification of the 2nd & 14th amendment, most of this silliness will end. The people who write the NJ bills are not firearms savvy, they are just frightened children trying to stop the bad guns.

On 8/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, JibbaJabba said:

Application completed 7/18

Just got off the phone with Howell PD to check on the status and was told “it’s being processed” and they can’t tell me how long it’s going to take.

Small update

App completed 7/18

References called 8/17

6 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I spoke with my PD (Hamilton) and they said they are issuing permits only for the gun you qualified with. So I called Shooters to see if I could just get the second signed off since they wouldn't do it last week and the guy (I think it was the owner) suggested just to get it as-is and deal with another gun later. I am going to do that but not entirely thrilled about it. My appointment for drop-off is tomorrow morning. Will update after on how it went.

I put 5 make/model/serial# on my Shooters form. There is no limit apparently and the retired NJSP instructor said that per the statute they didn't even have to do live fire, only teach use of force and then you demonstrate you know how to safely handle a gun. We shot one gun each anyway but the form shows I qualified with 5, the 5 I listed. They never even tallied the Q targets to see how many hit. The only the person who flunked out was someone who's gun kept jamming. They sent her packing and said she needs to clean it and come back.

• Informative 1

8 minutes ago, galapoola said:

I put 5 make/model/serial# on my Shooters form. There is no limit apparently and the retired NJSP instructor said that per the statute they didn't even have to do live fire, only teach use of force and then you demonstrate you know how to safely handle a gun. We shot one gun each anyway but the form shows I qualified with 5, the 5 I listed. They never even tallied the Q targets to see how many hit. The only the person who flunked out was someone who's gun kept jamming. They sent her packing and said she needs to clean it and come back.

They signed off on 5? When did you go?

I emailed the Sheriff of Gloucester County regarding restrictions on which firearms you can carry. I mentioned that permits are being issued with restrictions based on qualified firearms. Here is his response:

You are correct according to NJS 2C:58-4(a) "One permit shall be sufficient for all handguns owned by the holder thereof but the permit shall apply only to a handgun carried by the actual and legal holder of the permit."

So until they change the law or amend it, this is the way it is. There was no direction given to any agency on how this was to take place. This leaves it up to agency discretion on what they will accept. Please refer to the following link https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/NJSP_WEBSITE_REVISION_FOR_PTC_v2.pdf

Thank you

Sheriff Jonathan M. Sammons

Based on his response, it is up to the individual agency's discretion as to whether they will allow firearms that are not listed on the permit. This is wild.

• Informative 1

The over arching theme to all the bureaucratic nonsense is paperwork, lots of paperwork. The NJSP and local PD are not checking to see if the gun ranges are running a multi hour course and counting how many rounds are in the Q-target. So long as everyone has the paperwork in order, this whole thing moves along. My gun club still hasn't offered a qualifying course, they are overthinking this. The president even said it would take at least a year for this to go through the courts before we could carry. He was so wrong. Same goes for qualifying. GFH offers what they know works for security and retired LEO. Some local NRA instructor flat out refused to offer a class for this because the directives were so vague. I kind of knew to run as fast as possible to get everything submitted before Trenton had a chance to change things. Folks who apply in a few months may have a wholly different experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Forgot to add, I did my notary today at the bank per @Krdshrk (and others') suggestion. Free and easy. Guy even said he did another one last week. Extra bonus: stamp and embossed!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xtors said:

Forgot to add, I did my notary today at the bank per @Krdshrk (and others') suggestion. Free and easy. Guy even said he did another one last week. Extra bonus: stamp and embossed!

My notary saw the papers in my hand and asked "is there a deadline coming up on these?  I've done a ton of them this week."  I explained why it was a sudden rush.

• Like 1

Just picked mine up from JCPD. First one to get it in Hudson County (and Jersey City). 5 others were also approved.

06/29: Application packet picked up from JCPD & assigned C. Case #

07/05: IdentoGo prints done

07/15: Complete application submitted to JCPD

07/21: JCPD Chief signed off and submitted to Hudson Superior Court

08/03: Prosecutor had "no objection" and Judge signed off

08/17: JCPD received permit and called me to sign back and pick it up

No court appearance required. Back side lists the three pistols I qualified with

My PD received the permit today from the court yet it was approved and signed by Judge on 08/03/2022. They owe me 2 weeks lmao

IMG_7199.thumb.jpg.b682332f0bee1bbdeb85c00392d96da4.jpg

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, glockdoc said:

Just picked mine up from JCPD. First one to get it in Hudson County (and Jersey City). 5 others were also approved.

No court appearance required. Back side lists the three pistols I qualified with

My PD received the permit today from the court yet it was approved and signed by Judge on 08/03/2022. They owe me 2 weeks lmao

Congrats 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, glockdoc said:

Congrats brother! It is so odd being able to now walk around and carry legally. I feel like everyone is looking at me like they know I have a gun(even though I know they don’t). So pumped!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

So pumped!  

I don't want to be a wet blanket here...

But understand the gravity of the situation...the responsibility you have, and the burden.

This is not a game.....you are carrying a deadly weapon in public....in a state that hates guns, among sheeple.......who dont think you should be.

Think about that a lot....because, all this comes with great responsibility, restraint, situational awareness and a lot of luck that you will not ever have to draw that weapon- because if you do your life is for ever changed. ;)

Carry safely and don't go looking for the shit....

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I don't want to be a wet blanket here...

But understand the gravity of the situation...the responsibility you have, and the burden.

This is not a game.....you are carrying a deadly weapon in public....in a state that hates guns, among sheeple.......who dont think you should be.

Think about that a lot....because, all this comes with great responsibility, restraint, situational awareness and a lot of luck that you will not ever have to draw that weapon- because if you do your life is for ever changed. ;)

Carry safely and don't go looking for the shit....

+ 1.  Make sure you know what's behind the target and 'include' innocent bystanders! Take real training.  With increase of incidents they will make every attempt to revoke privileges.

• Like 2