CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

5 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

ok. Had a very annoying morning.  I work a minute from PA so I figured I should get my PA permit, incase I am detoured into PA I do not want to get a felony by accident for crossing state lines.  I researched and you fill out the application, provide your NJ carry permit, give them $20, they take the picture on the spot. PA state police website says any Sheriff’s department in PA can handle. So I drive 45 minutes to Bucks county and they refuse out of state permits.  Honestly unbelievable because the website says any sheriff’s department can handle it. She got very nasty with me and said it’s the Sheriff’s decision.

long story short if you are going to do this do not go to Buck’s county. Does anyone know a sheriff in PA that will do it for out of state resident?

also what are your thoughts on using the Utah and FL concealed permit that I have? The reciprocity between them seems like a gray area.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you go on the county websites for PA they will usually say if they are accepting non resident applications. I know that Bucks county says it will not accept them. The closet one I found near the border of PA and NJ that will accept non resident applications is Wayne county. They have an online application. You fill out and they will contact you to come in and get the permit at another time. Or you can drop off in person. I would call ahead though.

https://waynecountypa.gov/509/License-to-Carry-Information-Application

• Thanks 1

Just now, Xtors said:

That stinks. There has been some ongoing discussion about this exact topic in another thread (see below). Delco was one county that seemed to be ok.

Regarding UT/FL, my understanding is that they are only valid in PA if you have a resident permit, not a non-resident permit. I believe the disgraced AG woman, who's name currently escapes me, was responsible for this change.

I would try either Dauphin or Berks County.  Ultimately, you are looking for a rural county that has not been "infected" by democrats. 

The disgraced AG you are thinking of is Kathleen Keene, who is currently serving a prison sentence.  Unfortunately, she was the person who accepted a non-resident permit from NH to be used in PA for a very short time.  A lot of NJ folks took advantage of that while they could.  Shapiro put a stop to that as soon as he took office.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

ok. Had a very annoying morning.  I work a minute from PA so I figured I should get my PA permit, incase I am detoured into PA I do not want to get a felony by accident for crossing state lines.  I researched and you fill out the application, provide your NJ carry permit, give them $20, they take the picture on the spot. PA state police website says any Sheriff’s department in PA can handle. So I drive 45 minutes to Bucks county and they refuse out of state permits.  Honestly unbelievable because the website says any sheriff’s department can handle it. She got very nasty with me and said it’s the Sheriff’s decision.

long story short if you are going to do this do not go to Buck’s county. Does anyone know a sheriff in PA that will do it for out of state resident?

also what are your thoughts on using the Utah and FL concealed permit that I have? The reciprocity between them seems like a gray area.

Berks county is 2A friendly and they issue the same day, IIRC.

Utah and FL are no good for PA now because PA changed to requiring resident permits. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

So the consensus here is this is the 4 digit Municipal Code and NOT the ORI number?

Yes. I used 4-digit code 1418 and the detective at my PD said everything looks correct. I also determined that it was the four digit code via instructions on the GFH website

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Some courts move slower than others. And many courts slow down in August. 

If anyone sees any movement from the Middlesex Superior Court please let us know. 

It will likely be next month as most judges, detectives, etc... go on vacation in August. I will update when something comes up!

2 hours ago, Kadayo said:

If you go on the county websites for PA they will usually say if they are accepting non resident applications. I know that Bucks county says it will not accept them. The closet one I found near the border of PA and NJ that will accept non resident applications is Wayne county. They have an online application. You fill out and they will contact you to come in and get the permit at another time. Or you can drop off in person. I would call ahead though.

https://waynecountypa.gov/509/License-to-Carry-Information-Application

This was extremely helpful! Thanks so much! I called Berks County and they no longer take out of state.  Wayne said they would. Big help brother!

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

I used the ORI, and my town popped up to select it. So, I'm not sure. 

I think your referring to making the fingerprinting appointment?

im referring to the actual paper application for permit to carry. On the paper application, top right, is a spot for municipal code.

C7D3F080-00F5-43C1-977D-33E8024BA3F8.jpeg

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

It will likely be next month as most judges, detectives, etc... go on vacation in August. I will update when something comes up!

I have read in some other groups that Judge Rea is handling permits for Middlesex county. He has been on a 3 week vacation and is returning 8/22. I would imagine he will have quite a pile on his desk Monday morning. I just submitted my packet this afternoon, going for prints Monday.

9 minutes ago, Steve_G said:

I have read in some other groups that Judge Rea is handling permits for Middlesex county. He has been on a 3 week vacation and is returning 8/22. I would imagine he will have quite a pile on his desk Monday morning. I just submitted my packet this afternoon, going for prints Monday.

The girl Anna who I was told is processing them will also be back on Monday. I can call next week to get updates as they said she is the one to speak to.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

I think your referring to making the fingerprinting appointment?

im referring to the actual paper application for permit to carry. On the paper application, top right, is a spot for municipal code.

C7D3F080-00F5-43C1-977D-33E8024BA3F8.jpeg

Gotcha, mine was already filled in by my PD. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Steve_G said:

My source says differently, but a return date of 8/22 would be great. 

52 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

The girl Anna who I was told is processing them will also be back on Monday. I can call next week to get updates as they said she is the one to speak to.

I would not call them too much! What Steve_G said about a huge pile of applications is true based on a source. 

4 hours ago, samiam said:

xxxxx

There's no gray area for PA/FL reciprocity. If you are a FL resident, have a FL W concealed carry, it is honored in PA.  If you have a non-resident FL W concealed carry, it is NOT honored by PA.

Edited by JRT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Try this for a list of non-resident friendly sheriffs : https://www.pafoa.org/counties/

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, samiam said:

I never wrote what you attributed to me there, it was the previous poster to whom I was commenting. The previous context makes it clear that I was already well aware of the Florida restriction. It can be challenging using quoting correctly on this site; a little more care is in order. Thanks.

Good call saying you didn’t write that. Only an idiot would write something like that! 

On 8/19/2022 at 5:29 AM, JRT said:

that's what I'd like to know!   I'm on day 44

I am at the 40+ days as well.   Since the applications are physically with PD, there is a chance they will hold it hostage, not respond to emails or calls (if it comes to that).  At 55 day mark, I intend to call the County Court Clerk and request for the process to challenge PD holding the application past the law.  Likely Court Clerk would not know but somebody has to know as denial appeals process was exercised by people in the past.

I kept a copy (PDF) of everything I submitted.

I recall reading somewhere that the day the Acting Atty Gen (6/28?) released the advisory memo, they also held a zoom call and invited all the Chief's of Police to it, where guidance was given.  I'd like to see/read what was said!

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Seems like a good plan. I have a ways to go yet, though. My 60 days isn't up until October 10. The odds of it taking that long or longer are difficult to determine at this time. I have seen virtually nothing posted about the experiences of applicants who reside in Cape May (or Atlantic) Counties. The two counties share a common facility, although judges are listed by county. Presumably that means that it would be a Cape May County judge assigned to review an application from a Cape May County resident, but I'm not even 100% certain of that. I probably coukd identify the assigned judge by calling, but I don't see the point until more time has elapsed. The assignment could potentially change in the next 50 days. 

Call Evan Nappen’s office. They told me over the phone who my Judge was.

3 hours ago, muzzelloader69 said:

did anybody get there permit in somerset county yet? 

I am in somerset/franklyn, my paperworks about week since in police. lady said bunch of people ahead of me already waiting for judge approval but nobody got it already. my reference contacted already however. Judge might be on vacation or busy, who knows? Eventually he should approve/reject..