CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

3 minutes ago, samiam said:

Were you required to make any committment for services to find this out? Their web page advertises a flat fee assistance package for obtaining NJ carry permit, but doesn't appear to disclose the fee :icon_question:

Fee is 5 grand

11 minutes ago, samiam said:

Were you required to make any committment for services to find this out? Their web page advertises a flat fee assistance package for obtaining NJ carry permit, but doesn't appear to disclose the fee :icon_question:

When I inquired last month the fee was $5k

26 minutes ago, samiam said:

I have US Law Shield.  Everyone in here should have it as well unless you want to get screwed in lawyer fees if something was ever to happen.  Their services are free with US Law Shield.

1 hour ago, Jim Jones said:

I have US Law Shield.  Everyone in here should have it as well unless you want to get screwed in lawyer fees if something was ever to happen.  Their services are free with US Law Shield.

What's the insurance cost?  Websites requires entering your contact info to get a price.

4 hours ago, SJ Guns said:

What's the insurance cost?  Websites requires entering your contact info to get a price.

Don't forget, it's not "insurance" per se.   It's a legal support service.  Totally worth it in my opinion, but it's not insurance.   If there is a civil judgment (or settlement) against someone, it won't act as insurance.  I researched plans that include insurance and as soon as you try to check out with a NJ address, they basically cancel the check-out process.   

I guess NJ feels that the only time there could be a financial risk against someone is if they were wrong in their actions, but in my opinion this is flawed.  Civil liability standards are different from criminal and settlements don't imply fault necessarily.

I wish the NJ law against insurance would be challenged.

• Like 1

I contacted Xinsuracne in early July - see their response below.

Thank you for reaching out. See minimum premium below.

Minimum premium for personal use firearm liability with liability limits of $100,000 per person / $200,000 per accident / $400,000 aggregate will start $599 - $1250+ per year.

If you accept the premium range, we will require a quick 5-10 minute discussion call with you prior to offering a formal quote. Let me know and we will proceed accordingly.

Thanks

www.xinsurance.com

8 hours ago, samiam said:

Nappen is paid by ANJRPC to answer questions of members. It says this in every newsletter edition. Anything more than questions is not included. 

2 hours ago, JRT said:

I contacted Xinsuracne in early July - see their response below.

Thank you for reaching out. See minimum premium below.

Minimum premium for personal use firearm liability with liability limits of $100,000 per person / $200,000 per accident / $400,000 aggregate will start $599 - $1250+ per year.

If you accept the premium range, we will require a quick 5-10 minute discussion call with you prior to offering a formal quote. Let me know and we will proceed accordingly.

Thanks

www.xinsurance.com

Interesting.   If they are actually offering it in New Jersey, that's great...   

1 hour ago, MrAceJD said:

Interesting.   If they are actually offering it in New Jersey, that's great...   

I hope I quoted properly, apologies if I didn't.

I gave them (xinsurance) my info including my State to get that response.  I am also told that this company is writing in NJ for $249 - but I have not confirmed.
https://www.troxellins.com/gun-liability-insurance/

59 minutes ago, Ficus said:

Today marks 5 weeks in Gloucester county and still not a peep. 

I am going to go out on a limb and ask if your LPD is the holdup?  I would call them and see if there are any updates.  Harrison Twp approved mine in 1 week and once the Court had my application they scheduled a hearing the next week.  I have my appearance this Thursday.

1 minute ago, dino71 said:

Does anyone know if you have already been fingerprinted by "IDENTIGO" in the past and you still live at the same address......Do you have to do it again? I would think not since my finger/palm prints are still the same.

You do have to get printed again since they allegedly don't store your prints on file.  That's how it was explained to me when I tried to go that same route on time for a background check to coach a sports team after already having been printed for my FPID.

3 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

You do have to get printed again since they allegedly don't store your prints on file.  That's how it was explained to me when I tried to go that same route on time for a background check to coach a sports team after already having been printed for my FPID.

This seems like bull s&^%. The police have those image files stored somewhere!! 

13 minutes ago, dino71 said:

Does anyone know if you have already been fingerprinted by "IDENTIGO" in the past and you still live at the same address......Do you have to do it again? I would think not since my finger/palm prints are still the same.

PTC law says the PD/NJSP must cause you to be fingerprinted for every application. So even if they did store them, the law says you must get them done again. Stupid, yes I agree.

2C:58-4(c)

... The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification. ...

This whole recurrent Identgo fingerprint thing is to:

Track to see if you had committed a crime. For example. You decide to knock over a liquor store with a gun/knife and your mask on. The cops dust for prints after you made the getaway. Now they can see and compare to the database, your previous Identgo prints. Then they show up at your door and bust your A$$.

25 minutes ago, quikz said:

This whole recurrent Identgo fingerprint thing is to:

Track to see if you had committed a crime. For example. You decide to knock over a liquor store with a gun/knife and your mask on. The cops dust for prints after you made the getaway. Now they can see and compare to the database, your previous Identgo prints. Then they show up at your door and bust your A$$.

Fingerprints are live-scanned now and saved in electronic files(I've dealt with biometrics for work in the past). Those files absolutely can be stored and re-submitted for checks by NJ, and that may be what happens with FID/PP criminal history checks using your SBI #. However since the law for PTC says they must be taken each time, that is just what we have to do even if they could just be resubmitted from stored files.

• Informative 1

Folks. May I also add that once you get a jersey CCW, (like me for the past 10 plus years.) 

Next time you are driving around and a cop rolls behind you to run your plates for usual expired registration license etc, etc.. If the vehicle is registered to you, the cop should be able to see (definitely) if he pulls you over and gets your DL. That you are a  NJ Carry Permit Holder. 

Just something to think about...

1 hour ago, quikz said:

Folks. May I also add that once you get a jersey CCW, (like me for the past 10 plus years.) 

Next time you are driving around and a cop rolls behind you to run your plates for usual expired registration license etc, etc.. If the vehicle is registered to you, the cop should be able to see (definitely) if he pulls you over and gets your DL. That you are a  NJ Carry Permit Holder. 

Just something to think about...

I read there is no link of your CCW to the DMV so they will not know.  Per Wilson Defense I will proactively hand the officer my card, keep my hands on the wheel and explain I have the permit and do have it on my person. I will tell them where it is and allow them to unholster it, but do not unholster it yourself.  If a second officer is there he may not hear the first officer asking for it and that could get you shot.  Be careful and proactive . Do not say you have a gun! Say it is on your person and you have a permit.  Keep your hands on the wheel.  

not trying to be a Dad here, but I think that is sound advice. Wilson Defense has a great YouTube page with great advice.  The officer will also appreciate you being forthcoming even though you are not required to by law.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'm not so sure that I want to volunteer that I have a PtC, until and unless it is demonstrated that an LEO can easily find that out when pulling me over. I do agree with most of the other advice. When I start carrying in the vehicle, I plan to have my DL, registration, and insurance card in a holder on sun visor. That way I can provide the requested documents without needing to reach anywhere that might prove suspicious. Now, if I am requested to exit the vehicle, and I am carrying, I probably would volunteer at that point that I have a permit, that I am carrying, and the weapon location, before exiting (or before following alternative instructions from the cop). I can't see exiting a vehicle, armed, hopiing desparately not to print, in clear view of one or two armed officers. Just the anxiety of that situation could cause a heart attack...

Folowup question. If the cop is informed during the stop that the registered owner of the vehicle has a carry permit, what does that mean for other drivers of that vehicle who do not have a permit? Are they being put at unecessary risk from merely operating the vehicle? My daily driver is registered under my wife's name. So far, she is not applying. DOes that mean that a cop pulling me over is deprived of what the state deems essential safety information? The whole thing seems pretty shaky to me.  

Honesty is the best policy with police. I will be proactive. I think it could go south any other way.

• Haha 1