CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Hell has frozen over......  and I just saw a pig fly.....

I got the call..... I pick up my permit tomorrow

Submitted end of June

Morris County

Rockaway Twp.

Qualification done at RTSP in Randolph

Never did I think this could be a possibility...... 

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

Submitted end of June

Morris County

Rockaway Twp.

Congratulations

8 hours ago, SJ Guns said:

I copied the form after my references signed. The only wet signature on all 3 forms was mine - which was notarized x3.

5 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

The instructions are pretty specific about that point so it will be interesting to see if they challenge you on it.

Just re-read the instructions and form to make sure I didn't miss anything.  I don't see anywhere where it says the reference's signatures need to be wet ink.  Just says the form needs to be notarized and the only spot with the notary block is the applicant's signature.

33 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

Submitted end of June

Morris County

Rockaway Twp.

Congratulations!

55 minutes ago, Tyty said:

So what's our best understanding right now as to the money order being cashed? Is that a final step? I believe I read that in some post here that the permit came a few days later for someone but not sure.

The one guy here who posted his new permit stated the judge’s signature or issue date was the same date his money order was cashed. Forget which county. I’ll check after I post this. (It was Hudson)

I also read the same somewhere else with a different person. (Believe Ocean). 

Mine was cashed last Wednesday. Hoping this time frame holds true for me. 

4 minutes ago, ToddD said:

The one guy here who posted his new permit stated the judge’s signature or issue date was the same date his money order was cashed. Forget which county. I’ll check after I post this. (It was Hudson)

I also read the same somewhere else with a different person. (Believe Ocean). 

Mine was cashed last Wednesday. Hoping this time frame holds true for me. 

Awesome. Yes I hope this turns out the same for us. The best guess is court is mailing back to the local PD or NJSP and that's the time in between the check cashed and picking up the permit. Very exciting...

Since I'm in Mendham, next to the police station pretty much, and we are 8 minutes from the county courthouse, the detective is hand delivering instead of mailing. That's what he told me when I dropped off my packet. We had a good conversation too.

He said they had a stack at the court house and took the packets from him and placed them at the bottom of the pile. And of course, that makes sense, first come, first serve. 

I did appreciate that he witnessed them being accepted first hand.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:51 AM, ESB said:

I took a CCW course with a current LEO and this was brought up.  He said that his department had discussed this and that school parking lots are considered school property and illegal to carry there.  He also said that if you stop on a public road in a school zone, you would also be arrested.  I assume you could successfully fight that, but do you want to put yourself in that position and go through all that?    

I live next to a school. So if I walk to my car I am violating?

1 hour ago, 67gtonut said:

Submitted end of June

Morris County

Rockaway Twp.

Congratulations!

Hmm, curious if everyone made appointments with their local PD before dropping off the application?  The folks I personally know have been able to contact their local PD for an appointment although there was one exception where he just dropped it off.

I've called my local PD firearm person and left a voicemail.  I waited a few days and called the main line.  I asked to be transferred to the person who handles firearms application and got the same voicemail box which I left a second voicemail.  I haven't heard back.

I know it could be prime time for vacations and he is the only one handling applications.  In the past, I would just stop by the front desk and drop off my permit paperwork with the front desk.  The front desk would witness my signature for the mental health and photocopy my driver's license.

The application specifically says to "Call your local police department prior to applying and do not just show up".  Debating if I should just drop off the application with the front desk as I have done with pistol permits.  I doubt the front desk would know the case # for the finger prints.

10 minutes ago, DargZ said:

Hmm, curious if everyone made appointments with their local PD before dropping off the application?  The folks I personally know have been able to contact their local PD for an appointment although there was one exception where he just dropped it off.

I've called my local PD firearm person and left a voicemail.  I waited a few days and called the main line.  I asked to be transferred to the person who handles firearms application and got the same voicemail box which I left a second voicemail.  I haven't heard back.

I know it could be prime time for vacations and he is the only one handling applications.  In the past, I would just stop by the front desk and drop off my permit paperwork with the front desk.  The front desk would witness my signature for the mental health and photocopy my driver's license.

The application specifically says to "Call your local police department prior to applying and do not just show up".  Debating if I should just drop off the application with the front desk as I have done with pistol permits.  I doubt the front desk would know the case # for the finger prints.

Yes NJSP had me make an appt to come it. But it was smooth sailing once I got there. 

16 minutes ago, DargZ said:

Just show up at this point and explain you tried.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, g17owner said:

Since I'm in Mendham, next to the police station pretty much, and we are 8 minutes from the county courthouse, the detective is hand delivering instead of mailing. That's what he told me when I dropped off my packet. We had a good conversation too.

He said they had a stack at the court house and took the packets from him and placed them at the bottom of the pile. And of course, that makes sense, first come, first serve. 

I did appreciate that he witnessed them being accepted first hand.

That answers my question about Morris county court . Mine Hill/Wharton PD is in general easy to deal with. Im going to start the process.

Congrats !

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

June 23, 2022

2A Freedom Day

The day New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Hawaii, California and Massachusetts froze over. 

Some parts of Massachusetts allow ccw all the time, they are not as bad as NJ in some respect. But no AR or AK...

10 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

Submitted end of June

Morris County

Rockaway Twp.

congrats, funny some of us did it next day in June!!! like they knew and prepared all next day.

1 hour ago, oneshot said:

That answers my question about Morris county court . Mine Hill/Wharton PD is in general easy to deal with. Im going to start the process.

Congrats !

I lived in Wharton for almost 10 years. They've always been good regarding firearms-related stuff. Every time I needed a pistol permit, they would pull my old paperwork and tell me who I previously used as "references" so that they could re-use their previous responses and expedite issuance of the permit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, g17owner said:

I lived in Wharton for almost 10 years. They've always been good regarding firearms-related stuff. Every time I needed a pistol permit, they would pull my old paperwork and tell me who I previously used as "references" so that they could re-use their previous responses and expedite issuance of the permit. 

The new Chief Dave Young is a good guy. Ive never had a problem getting a permit and its a quick turn around, They also did my prints for my Fla ccw. They do it for residents.Which is not common these days in most towns. For PCH i have to use the sub contractor for electronic prints which is fine

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oneshot said:

The new Chief Dave Young is a good guy. Ive never had a problem getting a permit and its a quick turn around, They also did my prints for my Fla ccw. They do it for residents.Which is not common these days in most towns. For PCH i have to use the sub contractor for electronic prints which is fine

You reminded me. When I went in there and asked for prints, for FL ccw, almost 20 years ago, they had no clue what I was talking about. They did it for me but I remember the look of bewilderment.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, oneshot said:

I remember it used to say "not related to applicant" but that was for permit to purchase. I just reached out to my LPD . see what they say

I always recommend using non-related anyway, and no LEOs from your local dept. This way there can be no accusation of bias, coercion or bribery.

46 minutes ago, oneshot said:
  1. Im sure the answers are somewhere in the 52 pages of this post. But im lazy. Can i use a family member/ cousin as a reference?

36 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

It depends on the PD. Some allow, some don't. 

RadioGunner is correct here. I used family and they all received a follow up call by my LPD.

4 minutes ago, JibbaJabba said:

RadioGunner is correct here. I used family and they all received a follow up call by my LPD.

can you define "follow up call"? Meaning they contacted them through email and then a phone call or called them two times? thanks

2 minutes ago, oneshot said:

can you define "follow up call"? Meaning they contacted them through email and then a phone call or called them two times? thanks

Verifying the application is job of the PD. Every PD does it differently. Some call / contact the references. Some don't.  Do NOT go by what others may have experienced with their own PDs. Go by what your local PD advice and does.

I didn’t ask for specific questions as I trusted their answers, but from what they told me freely, the questions revolved around my moral character. Essentially, whether they believed me to be somebody responsible enough to carry a handgun.

Edited by JibbaJabba