CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Passed my qualification at gun for hire today. I spoke with Anthony who is a super cool guy. I thanked him from all of us for fighting the good fight. As of now, he hasn't heard of anyone in Middlesex or somerset County being issued a permit but he said he'll continue fighting. He also hooked me up with a signed copy of his book. 

I plan on finishing the paperwork tomorrow and dropping it off Friday at the police station. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, g17owner said:

It might take some time but I think at some point they will be so inundated and HOPEFULLY realize that this is an undue burden on a constitutional right. 

I don't think they care about the constitutional right part. They will care about the court being bogged down.

That said they may also take the opportunity to tack on more bureaucracy and restrictions in the 2C code so I'm in no hurry for them to "fix" that. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I don't think they care about the constitutional right part. They will care about the court being bogged down.

That said they may also take the opportunity to tack on more bureaucracy and restrictions in the 2C code so I'm in no hurry for them to "fix" that. 

I suspect that the fix will be for a clerk to compile a list of permit applicants and give the list to the judge for a signature.  One signature for all the permit applications submitted in a month or two week period.

3 minutes ago, marlintag said:

If anyone has been issued or will soon be issued a permit in Middlesex County please let us know! The judge should be back on Monday.

Judge was supposed to come back August 22

i expect there will be a big stack of police dept approved applications

9 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I can't find anyone for pictures? Any one know who does 1.5 x 1.5. Wallgreens and ups said no.  Gun for hire couldn't tell me when someone would be there either

Make a template, ask Walgreens to take the photo leave some room, then cut...

7 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

Update:

Picked up the permit.

For those of us in Morris County

The Hon. Thomas Critchley attaches a Court Order that must be carried along with the Permit that list the firearm(s) you qualified with.

Disappointing..... but hopefully once the system gets tired of this redundant part of the process and removes the Judge from having to sign off..... stuff like this will disappear

Is it an 8.5 x 11 letter that you have to laminate and wear around your neck?  :)

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, exfed2002 said:

The new eRPO replaces the plastic card with an 8 1/2 by 11 letter...................................

Funny you mention that. My FFL is a RPO and has contacts. He’s been speaking with higher up’s all over the place and their supposedly trying to get this changed asap. He was super pissed. 

Hey guys. New to the forum. Mercer resident. 

PD Application dropped off 7/12

References called within a few days

Chief approved and sent to court 8/2

Money order cashed (confirmed on USPS website)

Called court, twice since 8/2, I was advised that application is on Judge’s desk.

Anyone else hear anything in Mercer?

PD has to approve or deny within 60 days, but unfortunately no statutory period for the court to approve. Only that you have to file appeal within 30 days of denial. This could take a while in some counties. 

Edited by NYNJESQ

Can someone direct me to the document that says no family for references? I had a family member with the same last name as mine sign. I turned in the application Tuesday and the woman that handles them went over it step by step, even asking me to enlarge the mark in question 16 since I filled it out on the fillable pdf. She said the pre-filled dot was so small (she was correct) she didn't want anyone to think I left it blank. She said nothing about the references. I got the 1.5" photos at AAA and my bank notary did the applications for free. Qualified Monday, fingerprints tomorrow.

5 minutes ago, bennj said:

Can someone direct me to the document that says no family for references? I had a family member with the same last name as mine sign. I turned in the application Tuesday and the woman that handles them went over it step by step, even asking me to enlarge the mark in question 16 since I filled it out on the fillable pdf. She said the pre-filled dot was so small (she was correct) she didn't want anyone to think I left it blank. She said nothing about the references. I got the 1.5" photos at AAA and my bank notary did the applications for free. Fingerprints tomorrow.

I don’t know that it’s a written rule, more of a cya and not giving anyone in the chain of approvals a reason to object. Could be wrong though. 

Permits to purchase were changed a year or so ago to allow family members as references. Nothing on the permit to carry application or the instructions on the NJSP website says they can't be used. If anyone has anything factual could you please post it.

Is this the final status from Identogo or will there be some other status whenever some bg check is complete?

Enrollment Received
Your enrollment has been received and is being processed.

Note: Enrollment/Service Status only tracks fingerprint capture and transmission. IdentoGO does not receive or disseminate results information.
For inquiries about your background check results, contact IdentoGO Customer Service at 855-845-7434 for next steps.

I have kind of a quandary on my CCW app.  I am in the process of moving within the same town.  I know that I will need a new DL and FID card.  Anyone know if the CCW card needs to be re-done after a move like the FID?  Much as it pains me to wait, I suspect it's going to be best to get my new DL and FID before I submit my CCW app.  Anyone have any knowledge on this?

1 hour ago, bennj said:

Can someone direct me to the document that says no family for references? I had a family member with the same last name as mine sign. I turned in the application Tuesday and the woman that handles them went over it step by step, even asking me to enlarge the mark in question 16 since I filled it out on the fillable pdf. She said the pre-filled dot was so small (she was correct) she didn't want anyone to think I left it blank. She said nothing about the references. I got the 1.5" photos at AAA and my bank notary did the applications for free. Qualified Monday, fingerprints tomorrow.

I know it is painful number of references but I pick friends, remember that after this signature and address on application PD will send each of them another letter with 10 more questions. One of which they need to describe in details who you are and etc. I think it will be OK to pick family member as long as not the same last name and address. All 3 of mine already responded on such letters.

11 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

I have kind of a quandary on my CCW app.  I am in the process of moving within the same town.  I know that I will need a new DL and FID card.  Anyone know if the CCW card needs to be re-done after a move like the FID?  Much as it pains me to wait, I suspect it's going to be best to get my new DL and FID before I submit my CCW app.  Anyone have any knowledge on this?

No I haven’t,  but there is no address on the CCW permit. I am just going to change the FID when I move in a couple weeks

1 hour ago, bennj said:

It’s not in statute. A few PDs make this as their own policy. 

• FacePalm 1

2 hours ago, g17owner said:

Is this the final status from Identogo or will there be some other status whenever some bg check is complete?

Enrollment Received
Your enrollment has been received and is being processed.

Note: Enrollment/Service Status only tracks fingerprint capture and transmission. IdentoGO does not receive or disseminate results information.
For inquiries about your background check results, contact IdentoGO Customer Service at 855-845-7434 for next steps.

Yes that’s the final status. No further updates, even after PD receives the prints.

Anyone in Union County with good news?

6 hours ago, leo-польд said:

I know it is painful number of references but I pick friends, remember that after this signature and address on application PD will send each of them another letter with 10 more questions. One of which they need to describe in details who you are and etc. I think it will be OK to pick family member as long as not the same last name and address. All 3 of mine already responded on such letters.

This is dependant on the town. Some send a letter, some call, some request email addresses, some don't contact references at all.

8 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

No I haven’t,  but there is no address on the CCW permit. I am just going to change the FID when I move in a couple weeks

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I had not gotten around to taking a closing look at the application.

NJ MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD ? 

Friend of mine had a medical marijuana card. Once it went legal for rec, he cancelled it. 

He is now contemplating applying for the CCW and wonders if this will jam him up. I have no idea, so I am throwing it out the forum?    thanks.