CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

3 minutes ago, JRT said:

NJ MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD ? 

Friend of mine had a medical marijuana card. Once it went legal for rec, he cancelled it. 

He is now contemplating applying for the CCW and wonders if this will jam him up. I have no idea, so I am throwing it out the forum?    thanks.  

It is already on record he was issued one.  Tell him dont waste his time applying until the Congress takes it off of the CDS list.

8 hours ago, leo-польд said:

I know it is painful number of references but I pick friends, remember that after this signature and address on application PD will send each of them another letter with 10 more questions. One of which they need to describe in details who you are and etc. I think it will be OK to pick family member as long as not the same last name and address. All 3 of mine already responded on such letters.

I personally believe 1 of your reference should be your spouse.  Because they can attest THERE IS NO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE OR ABUSE.  Remember, one of the question in the application is 'have you committed domestic violence'

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, NYNJESQ said:

Hey guys. New to the forum. Mercer resident. 

PD Application dropped off 7/12

References called within a few days

Chief approved and sent to court 8/2

Money order cashed (confirmed on USPS website)

Called court, twice since 8/2, I was advised that application is on Judge’s desk.

Anyone else hear anything in Mercer?

PD has to approve or deny within 60 days, but unfortunately no statutory period for the court to approve. Only that you have to file appeal within 30 days of denial. This could take a while in some counties. 

There are a few of us, but I don't know of anyone who's received it yet.  I'm sure that they will post once the process is complete.

On 8/24/2022 at 7:55 AM, g17owner said:

You reminded me. When I went in there and asked for prints, for FL ccw, almost 20 years ago, they had no clue what I was talking about. They did it for me but I remember the look of bewilderment.

Speaking of prints, where did you go for your PCH prints?

Is the municipal code the 4 digit number that refers to the town that you live in? It seems to be in a weird location in the upper right hand corner of the application.

Does anyone know if you can photocopy the references sheet? Or does it have to be filled out three individual times? 

17 minutes ago, oneshot said:

Speaking of prints, where did you go for your PCH prints?

I went to East Stroudsburg. Was able to get a next day appointment. There's an additional $40 out of state fee. But IMO it was better than waiting 2.5 weeks for an appointment in NJ

3 minutes ago, dino71 said:

Is the municipal code the 4 digit number that refers to the town that you live in? It seems to be in a weird location in the upper right hand corner of the application.

Does anyone know if you can photocopy the references sheet? Or does it have to be filled out three individual times? 

Yes, it is the 4 digit municipal code.

I wouldn't photocopy anything regarding the application. With all the waiting involved with this burdensome process, I wouldnt give any excuse to reject and then have to start back at square one.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JRT said:

NJ MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD ? 

Friend of mine had a medical marijuana card. Once it went legal for rec, he cancelled it. 

He is now contemplating applying for the CCW and wonders if this will jam him up. I have no idea, so I am throwing it out the forum?    thanks.  

I think he will be jammed up.  The Evan Nappen website said that will eliminate your eligibility, but I am not sure what would happen if you cancel it. I would have them call his office and ask.

On 8/24/2022 at 9:46 AM, Cheflife15 said:

I can't find anyone for pictures? Any one know who does 1.5 x 1.5. Wallgreens and ups said no.  Gun for hire couldn't tell me when someone would be there either

Ask your local police clerk. The NJSP directions state 2"x2" but the application says 1.5"x1.5". When I asked, she told me to get the standard 2" passport photos and they will cut them.

Just wanted to update.  I just had my appearance in front of Judge Silvanio(Gloucester) he approved and stated that I can only carry what I qualified with.  He is forwarding the permit to my LPD so I should have it next week.  

Almost there.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Just wanted to update.  I just had my appearance in front of Judge Silvanio(Gloucester) he approved and stated that I can only carry what I qualified with.  He is forwarding the permit to my LPD so I should have it next week.  

Almost there.

Congrats brother!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Almost there.

congratulations

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Hi guys, my names Dave. New to the forum. Seeing if there is any update from Atlantic County? I submitted all paperwork on 7/12. Fingerprints on 7/13. Money order not cashed. I called my local PD and left 2 messages. No reply. 

hey Dave.  I am in Atlantic also.  Chief secretary told me our chief was meeting with other chiefs in the county to all be on the same page on what to do.   Not sure if that is good or not?  I’m at like day 46 with nothing.  

7 minutes ago, JRT said:

hey Dave.  I am in Atlantic also.  Chief secretary told me our chief was meeting with other chiefs in the county to all be on the same page on what to do.   Not sure if that is good or not?  I’m at like day 46 with nothing.  

Good or bad, that I don’t know. But that will be time consuming. I wonder what it means to be on the same page on what to do? Aren’t they supposed to sign off and send it to the judge?

On 8/15/2022 at 12:42 PM, g17owner said:

Submitted my application this morning to Mendham Boro PD. For me, it was a good experience. The detective the takes in the application was very nice and professional and we conversed a bit. Without him outright saying it, I feel confident in saying that he is pro our right to carry. Almost seemed excited about it, which is pretty cool. To me that was refreshing having grown up in north Jersey and having dealt with police of widely varying opinion. 

I scheduled my Identogo appointment as well. The first available appointment I could find was in Annandale on August 31. All the other locations that came up in my search didnt have any appointments available until the first, second, and even third weeks of September.

Same experience, same places, about 3 weeks ahead. 

The detective there has always been extremely helpful, can't say enough good things about him!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, samiam said:

Exactly the right question. They are supposed to either approve or reject based on their understanding of the statute, the AC, and any guidance they receive from NJ AG. They also have county and municipal prosecutors, who they shouldn't need to rely on, but if they decide otherwise, are available resources. There is absolutely no need or good reason for any intra-departmental confab, except to concoct additional layers of delay and even more CYA. What PD is this, if you don't mind divulging that info?

Galloway twp. I’ve actually had very good experiences with them in the past for purchase permits and what not. Usually very helpful and quick. 

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

Interesting. I would also expect them to be one of the more cooperative (or at least, less obstructive) departments. I'm in Upper Twp, Cape May Cnty, with no local PD, so I submitted to NJSP Woodbine. Not necessarily better or worse that way, but I at least expect some consistency across stations that doesn't appear to exist among local PDs. 

Agreed. Meetings with all the Chiefs almost seems like some sort of scheme to delay the process. As the applications are just piling up I’m sure

16 minutes ago, jmrdmd said:

Hi Everyone

Has anyone received a permit in Ocean County?  I'm in Toms River and my references were called 2 days after I turned in my application so they seem to be moving on them.

Thanks

There have been multiple people with permits issued in ocean county. 

27 minutes ago, jmrdmd said:

Hi Everyone

Has anyone received a permit in Ocean County?  I'm in Toms River and my references were called 2 days after I turned in my application so they seem to be moving on them.

Thanks

I live in Ocean county and I received my permit. The Judge is very good in OC.  I think I received it 29 days after superior court received it. Total process was 42 days.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 10:29 AM, Xtors said:

Application submitted today with Hamilton. No issues. FPs next week in PA as there are no appointments in NJ. For those that don't know, there's an extra $40 charge for PA (all in it's about $100). She said there's no hearing but it sounded a bit like once it gets handed to the court they are out of the loop so I am not sure what to think. Will update status as it moves forward.

Prints done today and sent to township (ack'd too!).

17 minutes ago, oneshot said:

Who if anyone has used a relative as a reference? I cant find anything that says you can't , My local PD doesn't seem to want to respond to the question

I used relatives for all three references (wife and 2 brother-in-laws); the Boro PD sergeant contacted all three and didn't seem to have any issues with them as references. I also list relatives as references for the pistol permits so I presume there should be no issue for PTC.

• Agree 2