CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, Jim Jones said:

I live in Ocean county and I received my permit. The Judge is very good in OC.  I think I received it 29 days after superior court received it. Total process was 42 days.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply... I'm hopeful to receive the call soon.

Rumor warning... I was talking to a retired police officer who is now working at a range in Gloucester county. He said Gloucester and Camden counties have begun collaborating on defining minimum standards for the qualification. He said there are some places running qualifications with as little as 20 rounds and without any distance shooting, and they want to stop that.

• Like 1
  • FacePalm 2

5 minutes ago, snappy456 said:

Rumor warning... I was talking to a retired police officer who is now working at a range in Gloucester county. He said Gloucester and Camden counties have begun collaborating on defining minimum standards for the qualification. He said there are some places running qualifications with as little as 20 rounds and without any distance shooting, and they want to stop that.

If true those "places" should be outed . There is a reason for qualification requirements. Carrying is no fkn joke, Its as serious as it gets and should be treated as such ,especially by the people/establishments who are giving the qualification course and clearly charging for the service

• Like 1
  • Disagree 3

4 minutes ago, oneshot said:

If true those "places" should be outed . There is a reason for qualification requirements. Carrying is no fkn joke, Its as serious as it gets and should be treated as such ,especially by the people/establishments who are giving the qualification course and clearly charging for the service

Why should the be "outed" they have done nothing wrong.  Any range that is offering qualifications is doing their best with the limited info that the state is putting out, the state is being ambiguous at best on what the "Qualification' is...by statute its showing safe handling of a firearm. So showing any anger or outrage at the ranges is misplaced.

With that said I agree with you that as a CCW carrier you need to take it seriously and show responsibility and get training above and beyond what any qualifications the state requires.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Why should the be "outed" they have done nothing wrong.  Any range that is offering qualifications is doing their best with the limited info that the state is putting out, the state is being ambiguous at best on what the "Qualification' is...by statute its showing safe handling of a firearm. So showing any anger or outrage at the ranges is misplaced.

With that said I agree with you that as a CCW carrier you need to take it seriously and show responsibility and get training above and beyond what any qualifications the state requires.

The question is whether or not the places are approved by the NJSP. If they are then the towns should cut the nonsense.

5 minutes ago, Xtors said:

The question is whether or not the places are approved by the NJSP. If they are then the towns should cut the nonsense.

That's the thing in my mind, the only approved places are for RPO so the only thing we had to go by initially was that and to play it safe a lot of early adopters went to the those approved places and did that course of fire.  But from what I have seen since then is that the standard for us is not the same as RPO so until the state clarifies what the standards are there is going to be this grey area.

• Agree 1

The law requires nothing more than "safe handling of a firearm" . In fact, simple passing of a test in use of force laws is good enough. No need to "out" anyone, that's the control freaks talking. And those counties need to be sued.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

there should be at the least consistency in the requirements. Actually the only requirement should be that you are

legally allowed to own a firearm. the constitution does the rest. perhaps i was hasty in my response.I do believe that training is essential if you plan to carry

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just to come back to earthly reality for a moment, PA, NH, UT and FL all granted me license to carry firearms in their states. Except for PA it was also all done remotely. None of them had 'qualifications'. Any more than I need to 'qualify' to speak, write, worship, etc.

I'm going to jump through all the same hoops as everyone else to try to get a NJ permit. Just because I can. So I fault no one for trying to get one.

But personally, I view the conditions for NJ 'granting' us permits to carry as even more ridiculous, disorganized and illogical than when they just said "NO!".

2084437162_2ndAmendment.jpg.bcddf2c3401b7b5acbeb8473766db49c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

2084437162_2ndAmendment.jpg.bcddf2c3401b7b5acbeb8473766db49c.jpg

Unfortunately for us, Roberts is a sell-out and Kavanaugh is almost there. If it was not for those two, Bruen would have made it solid 2A once for all.  That whole lecture with "permitting is constitutional" BS is from those two.  Its probably going to take another 10 to 20 years before another case involving the permitting abuse is going to be picked up by SCOTUS. And by then , who knows.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

Qualification' is...by statute its showing safe handling of a firearm.

When I took hunter ed for my license they made us chamber and shoot exactly one shell to demonstrate safe handling.  Hitting the clay target was not a requirement.

When I looked into a FL out of state CCW, my hunting license was sufficient proof of competency.

6 hours ago, jmrdmd said:

Hi Everyone

Has anyone received a permit in Ocean County?  I'm in Toms River and my references were called 2 days after I turned in my application so they seem to be moving on them.

Thanks

My package was dropped off at the TRPD 07/19, references called that week, sent to the courts within two weeks. Called the law clerk last week, no word yet.

4 hours ago, snappy456 said:

3 hours ago, oneshot said:

3 hours ago, Xtors said:

There  are no places approved by NJSP.  Gun ranges must submit a membership list to the NJSP annually but there is no approving gun ranges.  Instructors are approved to do RPO permits.

And carrying a firearm is a constitutionally protected right.  There is on exam to vote or to speak freely.  NJ law requires: (1) demonstration of familiarity with safe handling and use of a handgun and (2) submission of qualification scores. There is no specific course of fire or minimum score required.  If the rumor is true and counties are collaborating to require things that aren't required by law - to exercise a right, they are wrong to do so.

Qualified this Monday, turned in application packet to Hamilton Twp. PD Tuesday, reluctantly paid the $40 ransom and did prints today in Pa. ( NJ had nothing until 3 weeks out), forwarded IdentoGo email and copy of receipt to PD as requested. A few minutes later received an email from PD firearms unit thanking me for emailing the info. I'm assuming I bring them a money order when they're ready to send it to the judge.

12 minutes ago, bennj said:

Qualified this Monday, turned in application packet to Hamilton Twp. PD Tuesday, reluctantly paid the $40 ransom and did prints today in Pa. ( NJ had nothing until 3 weeks out), forwarded IdentoGo email and copy of receipt to PD as requested. A few minutes later received an email from PD firearms unit thanking me for emailing the info. I'm assuming I bring them a money order when they're ready to send it to the judge.

Bring money order right away. They will hold you up as incomplete without it.

21 minutes ago, bennj said:

I did prints in PA today too, got the same response you did so that's good.

9 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Bring money order right away. They will hold you up as incomplete without it.

They said not to bring the money order until they say to. Not sure why they are doing things differently from other towns but this is what we were told.

5 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I did prints in PA today too, got the same response you did so that's good.

They said not to bring the money order until they say to. Not sure why they are doing things differently from other towns but this is what we were told.

So weird. Whatever they say just do. That’s what I did and it worked out.

When they told me they would let me know when to bring it, I presumed they wanted to make sure the app was approved by the chief and they checked with references, as well as having the prints and mental health check cleared before taking my money. I'll give them a call if I don't hear anything in a week or so.

13 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

Just wanted to update.  I just had my appearance in front of Judge Silvanio(Gloucester) he approved and stated that I can only carry what I qualified with.  He is forwarding the permit to my LPD so I should have it next week.  

Almost there.

Did the judge ask you any questions.

8 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Did the judge ask you any questions.

Not really, only real question beyond name was if I understood that I can only carry what I qualified with and that if I wanted to add more handguns I would just need to submit the qualifications to him for an update.

• Informative 2

14 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

The State list qualified rangers for taking quals, the local PD should only be accepting those quals from those ranges anyway.  

28 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

The State list qualified rangers for taking quals, the local PD should only be accepting those quals from those ranges anyway.  

That’s not true. The list on NJSP is only a small list for RPO. If people are getting denied for not being on that list lawyer up because that is complete BS.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

That's for RPO not for everyone else...a lot of us used those ranges in the beginning just to play it safe since they were the only places offering quals but since then we have realized that the RPO course is not needed

• Agree 1

Skipping the irrelevant parts...

NJAC13:45-2.4
(b) Each applicant shall demonstrate a thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns by indicating in the space provided therefor on the application form, and on any sworn attachments thereto, any relevant information. Thorough familiarity with the safe handling and use of handguns shall be evidenced by...
2. Submission of an applicant's most recent handgun qualification scores utilizing the handgun(s) he or she intends to carry as evidenced by test firings administered by a certified firearms instructor of a police academy, a certified firearms instructor of the National Rifle Association, or any other recognized certified firearms instructor;

I suspect denials based on not having a RPO instructor are just rumors.  The law is pretty clear who can certify the qualification. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

That’s not true. The list on NJSP is only a small list for RPO. If people are getting denied for not being on that list lawyer up because that is complete BS.

agreed.   I have several friends who are RPO who are also SORA red card holders.  They qualify differently for each.  When the AG memo came out, the next day, I made an appointment to do the "RPO" qual, with a range on the list, I was told they could not give the RPO qual unless I was indeed a RPO - he showed me the NJSP form, and said he could not complete it for a non-RPO.

Anyone hear of any permit being issued in Monmouth County? My paperwork, fingerprints and reference letters have been returned but I don't believe they have been forwarded to the court. My local PD said they were overwhelmed with applicants and hadn't forwarded any since I spoke to them a weeks ago.

54 minutes ago, GlennS87 said:

Anyone hear of any permit being issued in Monmouth County? My paperwork, fingerprints and reference letters have been returned but I don't believe they have been forwarded to the court. My local PD said they were overwhelmed with applicants and hadn't forwarded any since I spoke to them a weeks ago.

I'd like to know as well; only info I've heard is just rumor that the judge for Monmouth County wasn't approving any permits due to no clear guidelines on weapons qualification (again, just rumor). I turned in my packet on 8/8 and all references contacted as of 8/25. Keeping my fingers crossed.