CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, NorthernYankee said:

Well I just got my permit...there were 4 other people picking theirs up at my PD...so of the 25 that appeared in Gloucester county yesterday 5 were from Harrison Twp

CCW.jpg

Congrats man!

I've just realized that the permits say Permit to Carry A Handgun.

Does this mean we can't carry 2 if we wanted?

Does this mean that if we are already carrying one that any other firearms in the vehicle are subject to the usual transport rules? unloaded, locked in the trunk, etc...

6 minutes ago, g17owner said:

I've just realized that the permits say Permit to Carry A Handgun.

Does this mean we can't carry 2 if we wanted?

Does this mean that if we are already carrying one that any other firearms in the vehicle are subject to the usual transport rules? unloaded, locked in the trunk, etc...

Nobody knows because there isn't guidance.  Hopefully we will get some and it won't be stupid.  But we know it will.

52 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

See court order? Good god. So you have to have a copy of the 'court order' with your license?

I don't think that's too much of a hassle - make a copy and put it in your car.  Is it 1 page?  shrink it down and laminate it - not joking!

Anyone with a CDL has to carry their medical cert. with them when driving - my doc gives me a miniature one.   I have a FL carry - I make sure I have the PA reciprocal agreement with me when I am in PA.   

43 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

Nobody knows because there isn't guidance.  Hopefully we will get some and it won't be stupid.  But we know it will.

We don't need guidance, the law says how it works in 2C:39-5(b), with a permit to carry your possession of a handgun in NJ is legal. It says permit to carry, but it really functions as a permit to possess a handgun legally in general. Caveat being if the judge says you can only carry handguns listed on permit, then only those would work this way.

The whole reason we needed to use the transport restrictions and exempted places under 2C:39-6 to possess or transport a handgun in NJ was because we lacked a permit to carry so our possession was illegal under 2C:39-5(b) unless we could prove an exemption. Once you have a PTC issued (and that is valid for the handgun you are possessing if restricted by judge) no more exemptions or transport rules for that handgun. Same thing applies with FID in relation to rifles and shotguns, but we could actually obtain one of those prior to a few months ago.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, 10X said:

That is bizarre.  Looking over the syllabus for the classroom training, I don't think it is humanly possible to speak slowly enough  to hit the minimum 16 hours of required classroom time.

Then there is two hours of range safety training, again requiring a glacially-slow pace to actually fill two hours.

And at the end of that, the actual firing qualification is only 5 rounds.  From the ready position.  No holster.  No strong hand/weak hand.  No time limit, go as slowly as you want.  From 12 feet.   Hit a 25" x 11" piece of paper with 4 out of 5 shots, and you've passed.

It kinda reads like the classroom and range safety sections were written by someone who didn't believe civilians should be granted carry permits, and the qualification section was written by someone who believed you shouldn't have to qualify at all, but had to write something down just the same.

I know an ex nypd cop that belive this..so not out of the realm of possibility 

7 hours ago, g17owner said:

List of required expenses to practice our "rightvilege":
$150 - Qualification cost, on average (I spent $350 to do 4 guns)
$25 - 1 box 50 rounds for qualification (I went through 4 boxes for 4 guns)
$56 - Identogo fingerprints (I spent $96 due to out of state fee)
$50 - Treasurer, State of NJ
$30 - Notary + Photos (I realize this can be done cheaper, this is what was charged at GFH)
$1.65 - Money order fee
----------------------------------------------------
$312.65 on expenses to exercise our rights. Not to mention, we need to repeat every two years.

Optional expenses:
$50 each additional gun
$25 per box of practice ammo, assuming you want to practice
$4 per FBI Q target for practice
$25-$30 per hour for practice range time

Potentially required expenses:
$ lost by taking off of work if court hearing required
$ spent on fuel to travel to the hearing
$ spent on lawyer to attend hearing or appeal an unjustified denial
$$$ pyrotechnics permit and trapeze rental for use during qualification

I have seen successes won through legislative bodies and courts in other states where the financial burden to exercise 2nd amendment rights (and other rights) has been so great that it inherently discriminates against low income Americans. I do think the state of NJ falls well within this kind of situation. I don't think any other state (maybe NY or CA but I truly dont know) comes anywhere close to this kind of financial burden to get "permission" to exercise a right.

Am I leaving any expenses out?

Your leaving the point out that....none of us will be able to carry anywhere.....at some point....sensitive places..they r a thing

4 hours ago, 10X said:

I never understood the point of having a fingerprint on an ID card, but whatever, having the card issued at all is cause for celebration.

The guidelines for passport photos don't allow smiling.  It took my wife a couple of tries to look sufficiently unhappy to have her photo accepted.

I believe that, she's quite pleasant. All things considered.:mutley:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JRT said:

Anyone with a CDL has to carry their medical cert. with them when driving

Not entirely true. I work for a municipal government and we are allowed to self certify but we are only allowed to operate intra state. The same applies for State or County employees too.

Just now, Gabesdad said:

Once you cross state lines you need your medical. 

Correct we are only allowed to drive intrastate not interstate. I have never had a medical card as I never needed one.

12 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

I know an ex nypd cop that belive this..so not out of the realm of possibility 

Your leaving the point out that....none of us will be able to carry anywhere.....at some point....sensitive places..they r a thing

They simply cannot make all places sensitive. 

20 hours ago, g17owner said:

List of required expenses to practice our "rightvilege":
$150 - Qualification cost, on average (I spent $350 to do 4 guns)
$25 - 1 box 50 rounds for qualification (I went through 4 boxes for 4 guns)
$56 - Identogo fingerprints (I spent $96 due to out of state fee)
$50 - Treasurer, State of NJ
$30 - Notary + Photos (I realize this can be done cheaper, this is what was charged at GFH)
$1.65 - Money order fee
----------------------------------------------------
$312.65 on expenses to exercise our rights. Not to mention, we need to repeat every two years.

Optional expenses:
$50 each additional gun
$25 per box of practice ammo, assuming you want to practice
$4 per FBI Q target for practice
$25-$30 per hour for practice range time

Potentially required expenses:
$ lost by taking off of work if court hearing required
$ spent on fuel to travel to the hearing
$ spent on lawyer to attend hearing or appeal an unjustified denial
$$$ pyrotechnics permit and trapeze rental for use during qualification

I have seen successes won through legislative bodies and courts in other states where the financial burden to exercise 2nd amendment rights (and other rights) has been so great that it inherently discriminates against low income Americans. I do think the state of NJ falls well within this kind of situation. I don't think any other state (maybe NY or CA but I truly dont know) comes anywhere close to this kind of financial burden to get "permission" to exercise a right.

Am I leaving any expenses out?

In addition I spent about $300 on two IWB holsters and belt already from Vedder. I got SW Shield Plus/5 mags with Holosun red dot and Talon grips in addition to my existing Glock 19 to carry and qualified with both. It is expensive I know, but it is cost of small part of freedom we suddenly all got back in this nuts liberal state. Two weeks since applied, hopefully it will be soon...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spdracr said:

They simply cannot make all places sensitive. 

Yes, yes they can - look at NYS.

Oh you'll get the permit, but you will not be able to carry anywhere.

Also, frankly, without the ability to carry civil liability insurance while carrying, is it in your best interest to do so?  Carry that is....

That is a choice each one of us has to make.

NOTE I am NOT trying to dissuade you - I am merely pointing out something you should consider

• Disagree 1

24 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Yes, yes they can - look at NYS.

Oh you'll get the permit, but you will not be able to carry anywhere.

Also, frankly, without the ability to carry civil liability insurance while carrying, is it in your best interest to do so?  Carry that is....

That is a choice each one of us has to make.

NOTE I am NOT trying to dissuade you - I am merely pointing out something you should consider

See the problem here is your mentality, not mocking you for your specific thinking. But the issue is most of us had the same thought. What if... And what if... That's what kept us new jersyans from getting what we were owed a long time ago, we just simply admitted defeated and sat there and let them do as they please until a couple of guys from. Nj and NY sued for the right to carry and they both made it to the SCOTUS and we finally won. 

Nothing to reconsider here honestly. NYS is getting sued to the moon and back and they're going to have to comply sooner than later with a fake smile on their faces. Bruen made it VERY clear to the law and what is considered unconstitutional and they're defying it 100% and it's only a stalling tactic. 

They simply CANNOT make everywhere a sensitive place. 

As for liability insurance. I have us Lawshield. I'm pursuing this and I'll keep donating to all the organizations that keep fighting for us until we get all this nonsense sorted out and it will shortly. 

Edited by Spdracr
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I applied for a non resident permit.

I did my identigo fingerprints on 7/19

Then submitted my application to NJSP Woodstown location on 8/2/2022.

The officer was very friendly and helpful. He did tell me that it would take about 3 weeks for him to receive my background from the FBI and that it came in via snail mail. The start date was the date of my fingerprints. So 7/19.

I haven’t heard anything since.

2 minutes ago, TexasLTC said:

I applied for a non resident permit.

I did my identigo fingerprints on 7/19

Then submitted my application to NJSP Woodstown location on 8/2/2022.

The officer was very friendly and helpful. He did tell me that it would take about 3 weeks for him to receive my background from the FBI and that it came in via snail mail. The start date was the date of my fingerprints. So 7/19.

I haven’t heard anything since.

He's lying. Identigo is same day. I did mind on Thursday 8/4 and my PD received it on 8/5 

23 hours ago, jmrdmd said:

Here's the NY Qualification that was just released...interesting

FINAL-NYSP-DCJS-Minimum-Standards-for-Firearm-Safety-Training-8-23-22.pdf 194.65 kB · 44 downloads

Correct me if I'm wrong, NJ residents can only apply non-resident carry permit ONLY if we work or have place of business in NY State right?  Otherwise they do not issue non-resident carry permits.

54 minutes ago, Mr.G said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, NJ residents can only apply non-resident carry permit ONLY if we work or have place of business in NY State right?  Otherwise they do not issue non-resident carry permits.

New York will NOT issue you a permit to carry, unless you own or lease property in the state, or own a business in the state, or employed in the state. 

You will have to show proof of this. Such as your deed and property tax, lease agree,ent, mortgage. Business license, or letter from your employer, paycheck stub, etc….

I do know someone who who bought into his brothers business. As a “silent” owner. Basically for the cost of changing names on permits, licenses etc… just to gain the capability to get a permit. His brother had a permit before the Bruen opinion due to business need.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, NorthernYankee said:

Salem County is the same Vicinage as Gloucester so it might be Judge Silvanio.  He is the judge that issued mine.

i saw your permit in an earlier post. congrats. i am not happy about being restricted to the gun i qualified with but i will have to be patient once this gets changed and our permits get ammended. 

i am hearing GFH (guns for hire) is making some serious noise and causing the courts to issue without requiring appearance. all the courts surrounding their county has been issuing without requiring court appearance. it is very inconvenience that i need to take a day off for a stupid senseless interview. 

55 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

i saw your permit in an earlier post. congrats. i am not happy about being restricted to the gun i qualified with but i will have to be patient once this gets changed and our permits get ammended. 

i am hearing GFH (guns for hire) is making some serious noise and causing the courts to issue without requiring appearance. all the courts surrounding their county has been issuing without requiring court appearance. it is very inconvenience that i need to take a day off for a stupid senseless interview. 

When i applied ar NJSP Woodstown. He said if an appearance was needed it would be done via zoom

Just now, TexasLTC said:

When i applied ar NJSP Woodstown. He said if an appearance was needed it would be done via zoom

i was also told that by my PD when i applied and i am hearing now and i believe few people have already went for an in person meeting with the the judge. i believe NortherYankee did an in person appearance. 

Just now, Spdracr said:

i was also told that by my PD when i applied and i am hearing now and i believe few people have already went for an in person meeting with the the judge. i believe NortherYankee did an in person appearance. 

Nope it was Zoom.

4 hours ago, Spdracr said:

He's lying. Identigo is same day. I did mind on Thursday 8/4 and my PD received it on 8/5 

No, he's not lying.  Fingerprints from Identigo are same day, but that's not what he was told would take 3 weeks to come from FBI.  He said he was told the background check coming from FBI via snail mail would take about 3 weeks.

11 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

No, he's not lying.  Fingerprints from Identigo are same day, but that's not what he was told would take 3 weeks to come from FBI.  He said he was told the background check coming from FBI via snail mail would take about 3 weeks.

Background aka fingerprints. It's the same thing. My entire application at my PD took less than 3 weeks and it's not at the court. I will repeat what I said. He is lying. 

38 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

Background aka fingerprints. It's the same thing. My entire application at my PD took less than 3 weeks and it's not at the court. I will repeat what I said. He is lying. 

I'll see what he says when I go in since I have to drop my packet off at the same office with the same guy.