CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

3 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

So Daniel Francisco was part of a suit over a carry permit. I listened to his video. His permit quest started maybe two years before Bruen. I'm guessing the judge's bizarre order was colored by the suit, possibly payback? I'd like to see how all of us who simply applied after Bruen will fare as far as restrictions.

On 8/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, Ficus said:

So I just got the email from the courts. I have to appear in front of the judge. This sounds fun. 

DFF900BA-CAAD-4543-A536-6D38FF44EB07.jpeg

I don't understand what motive there is for this... To profile you? To brow beat you? Such a strange situation. Does this judge really have a choice if you've met every requirement?

1 minute ago, Lostboy said:

I don't understand what motive there is for this... To profile you? To brow beat you? Such a strange situation. Does this judge really have a choice if you've met every requirement?

No the judge has no choice if requirements are met! 

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

It was a zoom meeting for me last week so him requiring an in person appearance is concerning.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

I don't understand what motive there is for this...

To make it as uncomfortable as possible, to delay and dissuade as many applicants as possible ...

Remember, your government doesn't want this, and arguably neither do at least half of your residents.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, vorfix said:

That was Monmouth county and the whole situation is odd. He is an appeal to denial before justifiable need removed. His judge that gave these restrictions in the order is not the normal permit judge for Monmouth. There seems to be other drama going on in his case, so he may be an outlier.

I've seen an Ocean county order posted from Aug 12th with no locations etc and then one posted from Aug 23rd with all the BS we see about locations. So I'm really interested to see proof of permits after the 23rd to see if this is now on all orders or somehow an outlier or mistake on people getting their work permits amended.

My buddy is in Ocean County and should have his permit back within the week. I will keep everyone posted when I get a look at his when he picks it up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Was your date of issue before or after August 23, 2022? I'd like to hear from some of the members here who had employment-related permits prior to Bruen (particularly any who were issued permits through Ocean County) to find out if any similar verbiage was issued with their permits. My understanding from reading that thread on the Firearms NJ FB group is that the person who posted this is not the permit holder, but knows him, and that it was not a work-related permit. Even if it was work-related, some of the stated restrictions don't make any sense to me in that context. Again, I'd like to hear from some who had that kind of permit about how closely these restrictions track those that were imposed on them. I have transcribed them for easier reading:

"ORDERED that the applicant for permission to carry said handgun referenced above, be and hereby is approved by permitting the said applicant to carry said weapon(s) subject to the following list of "sensitive places" at which the carry permit shall be deemed invalid:

1. Schools/Educational Institutions;
  2. Government buildings;
  3. Legislative assemblies;
  4. Polling places;
  5. Courthouses;
  6. Shopping malls (if restricted by the private entity);
  7. Private property/businesses (if restricted by the private entity);
  8. Bars and nightclubs;
  9. Any location where alcohol is served or any facility with a license for on-premises cannabis consumption;
  10. Any place or time that a permit holder is ingesting any intoxicating substance regardless of whether the permit holder is actually intoxicated, impaired, or under the influence;
  11. Also, no permit holder who is operating or riding in or on a motor vehicle may carry a firearm (with regard to motor vehicles, any firearms must be stored in the trunk and unloaded pursuant to N. J. S. A. 2C:39-6(g));
  12. Any place where carrying a firearm is prohibited by Federal law, and it is further

ORDERED, that in the event an applicant is employed at a "sensitive place" and his employer requires that person to be armed, then during hours of employment the applicant shall not be prohibited from carrying the firearm..."

As I said, my permit was issued August 9th, so it was prior to these new restrictions.

16 hours ago, Steve_G said:

Not mine. This is from Ocean County. I pulled this fro the Firearms NJ Facebook group. Gotta love a judge that makes up his her own rules....look at commandment 11...

ocean.thumb.jpg.8c2fe0dedd3fa430be25c258c75394fc.jpg

Cripes!

She essentially invalidated the carry permit.

Exception #11 is absurd...

13 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I called Evan Nappen’s office to ask about these ocean county updates. Especially not being able to drive with a loaded weapon. WTF is that?!?!?  They should call me back sometime tomorrow.  Very very odd restriction.  God forbid this is true.

The guy who got that lengthy restrictions, Francisco, has been a plaintiff in a FPC for couple of years now. FYI.

2 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Anyone know the address and proper way to fill out the money order? 

I understand it's 

To: treasurer, state of New Jersey. 

What address do I put? 

125 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08625?

Leaving no room for error here lol

You don’t need an address. Make sure your name is on the “from” field. 

The police department in my township ( Hillsborough) in addition to the required forms is now also asking for a copy of your drivers license and birth certificate. The prosecutors office has also asked to review all applications before they are signed by the judge.  Seems like every effort is being made to extend the process.

2 minutes ago, DAHL said:

The police department in my township ( Hillsborough) in addition to the required forms is now also asking for a copy of your drivers license and birth certificate. The prosecutors office has also asked to review all applications before they are signed by the judge.  Seems like every effort is being made to extend the process.

I think that was on the list of needed docs. 

To add onto this,  mine has me bringing a pay stub to prove employment 

• FacePalm 1

14 minutes ago, DAHL said:

This is on the required docs.  

• Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card

Just submitted my paperwork today to Bridgewater with my DL + Passport.

Rob Hanlon (officer in charge of FID/Permits/etc.) says he has about 45-50 in process.  Approximately 20 with the judge right now too - none issued yet in Bridgewater.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, DAHL said:

The police department in my township ( Hillsborough) in addition to the required forms is now also asking for a copy of your drivers license and birth certificate.

Asking for ID and proof of citizenship is not unusual. NJSP asked for my ID and citizenship proof as well. 

35 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

This is on the required docs.  

• Driver’s License and Birth Certificate OR Driver’s License and Passport OR Driver’s License and Naturalization Paperwork/Green Card

Just submitted my paperwork today to Bridgewater with my DL + Passport.

Rob Hanlon (officer in charge of FID/Permits/etc.) says he has about 45-50 in process.  Approximately 20 with the judge right now too - none issued yet in Bridgewater.

My PD had a "to do list" which originally did not request the BC or Passport. I went to drop off yesterday and they said I needed copies of either. 

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

My PD had a "to do list" which originally did not request the BC or Passport. I went to drop off yesterday and they said I needed copies of either. 

I heard in hillsborough they made the copies? 

I should make them before I go

15 minutes ago, samiam said:

IIRC, Francisco was in Monmouth County and his application predated Bruen. The permit under discussion is allegedly post-Bruen, from Ocean County, issued 8/23/2022, with a judicial order mandating these ridiculous restrictions. 

Francisco permit case was heard post Bruen (and because of Bruen) and issued with all the same restrictions. Concerning is if Superior Courts (or someone behind the scenes) are coordinating this and rolling out restrictions.

5 minutes ago, CJack said:

Francisco permit case was heard post Bruen (and because of Bruen) and issued with all the same restrictions. Concerning is if Superior Courts (or someone behind the scenes) are coordinating this and rolling out restrictions.

I wonder if Francisco's suit opened the door to this? If he had applied post Bruen like anyone else, would he have been given all the restrictions? I'm beginning to think that without the suit he'd be treated like everyone else who applied. Possibly the only restriction was the named guns he qualified with. Maybe the judge wanted to cover her butt and issued the restrictions. Has anyone read the complaint? Perhaps some of the restrictions were triggered by the plaintiff and defendant arguing before her honor? They do have to address everything unless they moot the case and tell Francisco to re-apply.