CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 minute ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

The deadline at the Superior Court is 30 days to approve or have a hearing. 

Really it isn't a deadline though. There was a directive issued in 2019 addressing the courts and asking them to abide by a 30 rule. That rule was never set as a statue or anything so they really don't have to abide by that I'm a way. 

2 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

As ordered by the Supreme Court of New Jersey the deadline at the Superior Court to rule on an application approved by the Police Chief is 30 days to approve or have a hearing. After the hearing the judge has 14 days to decide. 

Oh, I'm confused then. Well regardless, then what?

1 minute ago, Lostboy said:

Oh, I'm confused then. Well regardless, then what?

I don't even understand what he says in that statement. 

Local PD have 60 days to approve or deny your application. If 60 period is up then it's deemed approved and must be sent to the court to get the judge's approval.

Directive in 2019 was issued to the courts asking them not to exceed 30 days when applications are sent to them from the local PD. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

I don't even understand what he says in that statement. 

Local PD have 60 days to approve or deny your application. If 60 period is up then it's deemed approved and must be sent to the court to get the judge's approval.

Directive in 2019 was issued to the courts asking them not to exceed 30 days when applications are sent to them from the local PD. 

David from Nappen’s office actually told me that the 60 days includes both the PD and the court. If at day 60 you are not approved you are automatically approved, but will need to take them to court.  I thought it was only the PD but he was quick to correct me.

• Thanks 3

Just now, Jim Jones said:

David from Nappen’s office actually told me that the 60 days includes both the PD and the court. If at day 60 you are not approved you are automatically approved, but will need to take them to court.  I thought it was only the PD but he was quick to correct me.

This is new to me. According to the status it only talks about the PD. 

15 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Do you have to have the identity protection package to get answers to application questions? I'm mulling over which add-ons I absolutely need. 

1 minute ago, Lostboy said:

Do you have to have the identity protection package to get answers to application questions? I'm mulling over which add-ons I absolutely need. 

I have USLW but not their ID theft coverage and have talked to David at Nappen's office 3-4 times.

2 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

No. I have us Lawshield with no identity protection and I call them for questions with no problems. 

57 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I have USLW but not their ID theft coverage and have talked to David at Nappen's office 3-4 times.

55 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

No. I have us Lawshield with no identity protection and I call them for questions with no problems. 

53 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I got expert witness and bail coverage I believe.

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just concerned that if we get some sort of restricted permit or denied for some ridiculous reason, there won't be any course of action with just the basic coverage. 

5 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

Thanks guys. I guess I'm just concerned that if we get some sort of restricted permit or denied for some ridiculous reason, there won't be any course of action with just the basic coverage. 

Basic coverage will do exactly what u need for representation on a restricted permit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Jones said:

I'm at 60 days on Saturday. Might try calling the court clerk middle of next week if nothing happens per advice here.

2 hours ago, Spdracr said:

Really it isn't a deadline though. There was a directive issued in 2019 addressing the courts and asking them to abide by a 30 rule. That rule was never set as a statue or anything so they really don't have to abide by that I'm a way. 

The Directive is here

The NJ Supreme Court Decision adopting the directive is here

Here is how the System works:

1) The Police Department has 60 days to approve or deny.  

2) If the Police Department does not approve or deny after 60 days the application is deemed approved by the Police Department

c. Investigation and approval. Each application shall in the first instance be submitted to the chief police officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides, or to the superintendent, (1) if the applicant is an employee of an armored car company, or (2) if there is no chief police officer in the municipality where the applicant resides, or (3) if the applicant does not reside in this State. The chief police officer, or the superintendent, as the case may be, shall cause the fingerprints of the applicant to be taken and compared with any and all records maintained by the municipality, the county in which it is located, the State Bureau of Identification and the Federal Bureau of Identification. He shall also determine and record a complete description of each handgun the applicant intends to carry.

No application shall be approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent unless the applicant demonstrates that he is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in 2C:58-3c., that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun. If the application is not approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent within 60 days of filing, it shall be deemed to have been approved, unless the applicant agrees to an extension of time in writing.

3) An application denied by the Police Department can be appealed

4) An application that is approved by the Police Department is to be presented to the Superior Court Judge

d. Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in section 2C:58-3c., that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun. The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes such handguns may be carried. At the time of issuance, the applicant shall pay to the county clerk of the county where the permit was issued a permit fee of $20.00.

5) After the Court receives the application the Prosecutor has 14 days to make a recommendation

6) With 30 days after the Court receives the application the Court must approve the application for issue or hold a hearing 

7) Within 14 days after the hearing the Court must make a decision

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Nj2A said:

My question is what do you expect at court proceedings is it a hearing or is it just a formality do you go in and plead your case to a judge or do you go in and sign your permit under oath

that’s a good question, especially when some NJSP are telling NON-RESIDENTS that they do zoom, and their your permit is mailed to you.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, TexasLTC said:

that’s a good question, especially when some NJSP are telling NON-RESIDENTS that they do zoom, and their your permit is mailed to you. 

I got a phone call asking for my email address so they can give me a zoom hearing 2 weeks later got another email stating that it will be an in court appearance required New Jersey only wants the money but does not want to give out the freedoms

On 8/26/2022 at 4:03 PM, g17owner said:

Congrats man!

I've just realized that the permits say Permit to Carry A Handgun.

Does this mean we can't carry 2 if we wanted?

Does this mean that if we are already carrying one that any other firearms in the vehicle are subject to the usual transport rules? unloaded, locked in the trunk, etc...

Congrats man!

Does this mean that if we are already carrying one that any other firearms in the vehicle are subject to the usual transport rules? unloaded, locked in the trunk, etc...

What are the stipulations on the court order I don't know how they can give you a permit and say it is not restricted but then Mark off see court order basically for restrictions

Well they will find their butts sued and lose. I don’t think they will do that, or they wouldn’t have issued the order to start issuing permits.

Some maybe just delaying the process, and some maybe doing as much as they can to discourage. But I think they will have issues and they know it.

If you live fairly close too, or in NJ they can get away with in court reviews. They are going to be harder pressed when one is all the way from Texas. If they try to do it, I will just inform them I have been exposed to Covid and they can do a zoom, or issue, or I’ll come in with my Covid

25 minutes ago, Nj2A said:

I got a phone call asking for my email address so they can give me a zoom hearing 2 weeks later got another email stating that it will be an in court appearance required New Jersey only wants the money but does not want to give out the freedoms

What are the stipulations on the court order I don't know how they can give you a permit and say it is not restricted but then Mark off see court order basically for restrictions

exposure.

On 8/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, Ficus said:

So I just got the email from the courts. I have to appear in front of the judge. This sounds fun. 

DFF900BA-CAAD-4543-A536-6D38FF44EB07.jpeg

Did they make you go to court or did you get to go on Zoom and did they give you stipulations

On 8/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, Ficus said:

So I just got the email from the courts. I have to appear in front of the judge. This sounds fun. 

DFF900BA-CAAD-4543-A536-6D38FF44EB07.jpeg

Day 56?  (Atlantic County) I  politely e-mailed my dept records bureau for status update…. this was the response: 

Your application is currently with the Firearms Investigator. The first five application packages, yours being one of them, are being processed here at our end. We have not yet received guidance from Superior Court on how we are to submit the application packages to them, however we did receive guidelines on what exactly is to be submitted.  

• Confused 1
  • FacePalm 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:35 PM, JRT said:

Day 56?  (Atlantic County) I  politely e-mailed my dept records bureau for status update…. this was the response: 

Your application is currently with the Firearms Investigator. The first five application packages, yours being one of them, are being processed here at our end. We have not yet received guidance from Superior Court on how we are to submit the application packages to them, however we did receive guidelines on what exactly is to be submitted.  

. Approve it or deny it.what guidance do they need? Send the packet to the court if they approve it based on what has been

stated by the AG . not really much different then applying for a PP aside from the added redundant hoops we have to jump through

1 hour ago, JRT said:

Something doesn’t seem right, I’m also in Atlantic county. And according to my PD my application has already been sent to superior court. Could my pd be lying to me? Sure. Could yours be lying to you? Sure. I didn’t ask when or how it was sent to superior court. 

Congrats man!

What is the see Court order about I don't get how they can say they are giving you an unrestricted permit by not checking restrictions and then say see court order for restrictions is there anything off the wall on the court order ?? 

image.png

Middlesex County:

8/15 - submitted full package to local pd. Super helpful and patient. 
9/1 - Received email that package was approved and mailed to Court. 
The wait begins. Though I find out tomorrow evening what day next week I will serve for jury duty. Would be convenient (and a miracle) if I got to pick up the permit while in New Brunswick. Lol. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Nj2A said:

What is the see Court order about I don't get how they can say they are giving you an unrestricted permit by not checking restrictions and then say see court order for restrictions is there anything off the wall on the court order ?? 

image.png

What paper is this??  ^^^^^^      Where/who did it come from??

24 minutes ago, Deff said:

Middlesex County:

8/15 - submitted full package to local pd. Super helpful and patient. 
9/1 - Received email that package was approved and mailed to Court. 
The wait begins. Though I find out tomorrow evening what day next week I will serve for jury duty. Would be convenient (and a miracle) if I got to pick up the permit while in New Brunswick. Lol. 

It'll get sent back to your local PD.  I've done Jury Duty in New Brunswick - it's not too bad.