CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

4 minutes ago, samiam said:

Directive 06-19 by NJ Courts Admin Glenn Grant referred to elsewhere in this thread says that, while the law does not mention procsecutor review, since most NJ Superior Courts were already doing that, it is permissible. However, he gives 14 days for the prosecutor to review; if no action is taken, the presumption is that there is no objection from that quarter. I don't like it , but it could probably be worse. 

Ocean County sent to the prosecutor as well. He is supposedly a big Lib but it was still approved beginning to end in 42 days so I wouldn’t worry about that.

5 minutes ago, samiam said:

Directive 06-19 by NJ Courts Admin Glenn Grant referred to elsewhere in this thread says that, while the law does not mention procsecutor review, since most NJ Superior Courts were already doing that, it is permissible. However, he gives 14 days for the prosecutor to review; if no action is taken, the presumption is that there is no objection from that quarter. I don't like it , but it could probably be worse. 

I don’t believe she was implying a meeting between the judge and the prosecutor about specific applications. It almost sounded like the judge just doesn’t know what to do and is looking for guidance on how to proceed. My gut says “restrictions” 

Burlington County Update:

Hearings are required!

Just spoke with Judge Cooks office, not Alex who handles the courts firearms permitting. 

In person hearings are required. Mine is set for 9/12 at 10:00. Apparently my notice should be here today. If not, probably Tuesday.  But they were mailed. 

They’re getting back to me on whether or not the judge will issue permit on the spot or mail back to PD. 

Also, no word on whether or not we’ll see these absurd restriction via court order like other counties. Guess we’ll find out soon.

Not thrilled about this but at least it’s moving forward. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

23 minutes ago, snappy456 said:

I would think that loading/unloading a firearm in a publicly visible area is probable cause for a search at minimum, not to mention could get you a nervous cop with a pistol aimed at you.

The court order is literally demanding you brandish your firearm before entering you're vehicle.

It is the only way to abide by the order. Yo cannot even enter your car and then put the gun in its case and then bring it to the truck.

The moment you enter the vehicle while carrying the firearm, you are breaking the order. Therefore you have to carry to your trunk, unholster, drop mag, put in case, put in trunk, and then you can enter your vehicle. And then obviously reverse order when leaving the vehicle.

#11 of that order is a direct threat to public safety and the safety of the permit holder, and extremely negligent of the court. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

13 minutes ago, samiam said:

In a way, that seems worse to me, overall. Judges and prosecutors confer all the time about the disposition of individual cases (admittedly, those mostly involve criminal and civil litigation, not administrative matters, and the person who is the subject of the conversation is entitled to be, and likely already is, represented by counsel). If the Judicial and Executive (Law Enforcement/Prosecutorial) branches are meeting to discuss how best to curtail a Consitutional right and civil liberty for a broad category of the citizenry, to my IANAL mind that smacks of impermissable collusion and/or a conspiracy to deny that right. Branches of government are made separate and distinct for some very good reasons.

Definitely agree with you there! My only concern now is the same as everyone else’s… how long is this “meeting” going to take to happen? And what kind of bs is going to be attached to the permit. Unreasonable restrictions 

1 hour ago, Jim Jones said:

Ocean County sent to the prosecutor as well. He is supposedly a big Lib but it was still approved beginning to end in 42 days so I wouldn’t worry about that.

Hey, just wondering. How did you find out that Judge Gizinski was using the prosecutor’s office? Can’t understand why they would, didn’t the PD already perform a background check?

6 hours ago, marlintag said:

Update from Middlesex County!

I called the Middlesex County Superior Court and my PD this morning after seeing that my money order was still not cashed. The court clerk told me that they do not have my application and my name does not appear anywhere. She stated that they are overloaded with carry applications and that the judge has not signed off any applications. It sounded from our brief conversation that there is no date or timeframe for the judge to even begin looking at these applications. I then called my PD who told me that indeed my application was signed off and sent to the court weeks ago!!! How's that for some crazy SHIT!!  The court clerk did take my number down to call me back on the chance they found my application. If your in Middlesex, you can forget a smooth and speedy issuance of your carry permit. So, which attorney should I go with? I'm thinking Jef Henninger or Dan Schmutter. :mad:

I called the court again to discuss what my PD told me. It appears they have indeed "lost" my application. From what I understand the assignment judge has not signed off or viewed any  Post-Bruen applications. I was told by the court to call back next week as the person in charge is going on vacation. Strikeforce has been emailed regarding this issue. Retaining an attorney is now on the table...

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, samiam said:

Good call on Strike Force and potentially retaining attorney. I don't hear about courts losing other kinds of official documents, pretty much EVER. There is an apparent element of misfeasance (or possibly malfeasance) there. Maybe that is something the pro-2A outfits might want to pursue independently. It would be nice if I had some confidence that this process will improve over time because of professionalism on the part of law enforcement and the judiciary, but I do not. Frankly, I'm pretty well convinced that none of this shite is going to get any better until and unless we find some way to make these a-holes have some fear of the consequences of not doing their phony-baloney jobs.  

Harrumph! The tenets of malfeasance look pretty straightforward, but I wonder how much judges really worry about that. There must be some way to pressure the courts to do their jobs properly - maybe StrikeForce is the stick. Of course, the state sits  at the poker table with our unlimited tax money, so the only chance for even a meager push is a lawsuit that negates state defense representation for the misfeasor.  

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

I called the court again to discuss what my PD told me. It appears they have indeed "lost" my application. From what I understand the assignment judge has not signed off or viewed any  Post-Bruen applications. I was told by the court to call back next week as the person in charge is going on vacation. Strikeforce has been emailed regarding this issue. Retaining an attorney is now on the table...

First time I emailed the records clerk after my PD sent my application to Middlesex she could not find it on her list of received applications. Within 6 hours she emailed me to say she had it. 
If your application is on the bottom of a stack and not yet entered onto the list the clerk would have no way of knowing the application had been received by the court.  And the court likely has stacks, plural, of received applications not yet entered into the system. 

My guess is that the application will show up at Middlesex a week or two after Labor Day.

What you could do is ask the PD when they sent your application and then politely email the clerk a week after Labor Day and tell her when and which PD sent over your application  and ask if you could please confirm receipt.

i would have the email read something like this:

My local police department tells me that they sent over my approved carry permit application on about August __ . If possible, could you please confirm that it has been received.

Name

Address

email

phone

3 hours ago, galapoola said:

Hey, just wondering. How did you find out that Judge Gizinski was using the prosecutor’s office? Can’t understand why they would, didn’t the PD already perform a background check?

She wrote she worked with the prosecutors office prior to approving on the court order.

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

Same exact thing happened to me when I called the Clerk. We have no record of your application. They said call back in 2 weeks.  13 days later PD called me and said my permit was ready for pickup! I wouldn’t panic yet.

53 minutes ago, samiam said:

You are being far too generous. If these applications are being mailed from the PD to the court, it should be by registered mail, or, at bare minimum, return receipt requested. If they are being conveyed by official courier in batches, there needs to be a control list with check-offs and signatures, which should also be done if multiple applications are being mailed in the same package. Anything less than that is inexcusable. I'm convinced that if the documents being conveyed were on some other legal matter that the PD and court considered to be vitally important, much greater care would be taken, and those documents would not be lost, or even temporarily mislaid. 

Worked for me and then my money order was cashed by Middlesex a week later.

Like it or not, Judges' chambers are very busy places and very thinly staffed.  It would be highly unusual if the deluge of post Bruen carry permit applications did not cause sizeable delays.  

And to say it is the Judges' own fault is not fair.  Until Bruen Judges were bound by their Oath of Office to follow New Jersey Supreme Court precedent--and they did. 

1 hour ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

First time I emailed the records clerk after my PD sent my application to Middlesex she could not find it on her list of received applications. Within 6 hours she emailed me to say she had it. 
If your application is on the bottom of a stack and not yet entered onto the list the clerk would have no way of knowing the application had been received by the court.  And the court likely has stacks, plural, of received applications not yet entered into the system. 

My guess is that the application will show up at Middlesex a week or two after Labor Day.

What you could do is ask the PD when they sent your application and then politely email the clerk a week after Labor Day and tell her when and which PD sent over your application  and ask if you could please confirm receipt.

i would have the email read something like this:

My local police department tells me that they sent over my approved carry permit application on about August __ . If possible, could you please confirm that it has been received.

Name

Address

email

phone

The clerk was called twice and checked twice, there is no receipt of my application. PD said they sent it more than two weeks ago. I spoke with the court twice and PD once, I got no answer. 

12 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Same exact thing happened to me when I called the Clerk. We have no record of your application. They said call back in 2 weeks.  13 days later PD called me and said my permit was ready for pickup! I wouldn’t panic yet.

The difference between your experience and mine is that in your case the PD may not have sent it yet when you called the clerk. My case is very different and more concerning, the PD is saying they sent it more than two weeks ago!!! The court should have my application in the stack AND THEY DONT!. That's the issue. Samiam is correct, applications should be recorded when received by the court without exception. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, marlintag said:

The clerk was called twice and checked twice, there is no receipt of my application. PD said they sent it more than two weeks ago. I spoke with the court twice and PD once, I got no answer. 

The difference between your experience and mine is that in your case the PD may not have sent it yet when you called the clerk. My case is very different and more concerning, the PD is saying they sent it more than two weeks ago!!! The court should have my application in the stack AND THEY DONT!. That's the issue. Samiam is correct, applications should be recorded when received by the court without exception. 

So who pays for all the lost notorized documents? 

10 minutes ago, marlintag said:

You are absolutely correct that applications should be recorded when received. 

in other situations, Important papers are filed electronically as PDFs and the court’s docketing system makes an automatic record of what was filed and when. 

The Directive mandates that a list of carry permit applications, including. The date received by the court, must be kept. 

1 hour ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

Worked for me and then my money order was cashed by Middlesex a week later.

Like it or not, Judges' chambers are very busy places and very thinly staffed.  It would be highly unusual if the deluge of post Bruen carry permit applications did not cause sizeable delays.  

And to say it is the Judges' own fault is not fair.  Until Bruen Judges were bound by their Oath of Office to follow New Jersey Supreme Court precedent--and they did. 

u r far too kind or too naive to believe that its not the judges fault. they knew it was coming and even if they didnt. we are well over 60 past this new ruling, they couldve easily revised their process of approving the permits. 

judges do not need to be involved anymore since there is no case to be presented to them and they are issuing them anywway. 

they could easily excuse themselves from it and let the PDs handle it. so many things can be done to get this nonesense resolved and get people their permits. instead they are fucking around and wasting time scheduling in person meetings and adding some illegal restrictions that goes against statue and code and law all together because "they can"

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

3 hours ago, marlintag said:

Not different, it’s almost verbatim my situation. Pd sent mine to court July 18th I called 19’days later they said the didn’t have it. Received the permit 13 days later. I was anxious as well but I told myself not to freak out until 60 days expired. The PD makes copies(at least Manchester pd did. Just call them, but my gut tells me you will have it soon.