CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 hours ago, PoppaPops said:

To those of you that had court dates, what exactly was the purpose ?

It's a simple appearance. He asks your name and confirms information on your application and then states few obvious points on where you can and can't carry and done. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, PoppaPops said:

To those of you that had court dates, what exactly was the purpose ?

I would assume to brow beat you, but I think cal is right, intimidation. Probably to dissuade people from going through with it. 

Everything in this godforsaken state is based upon making it just a little harder, or inconvenient. 

18 hours ago, ToddD said:

Burlington County Update:

Hearings are required!

Just spoke with Judge Cooks office, not Alex who handles the courts firearms permitting. 

In person hearings are required. Mine is set for 9/12 at 10:00. Apparently my notice should be here today. If not, probably Tuesday.  But they were mailed. 

They’re getting back to me on whether or not the judge will issue permit on the spot or mail back to PD. 

Also, no word on whether or not we’ll see these absurd restriction via court order like other counties. Guess we’ll find out soon.

Not thrilled about this but at least it’s moving forward. 

If I'm going to be bothered with taking a day off to go to court it should be issued at that meeting. Why do they suck?

11 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

I would assume to brow beat you, but I think cal is right, intimidation. Probably to dissuade people from going through with it. 

Everything in this godforsaken state is based upon making it just a little harder, or inconvenient. 

If I'm going to be bothered with taking a day off to go to court it should be issued at that meeting. Why do they suck?

How is it intimidation though? It's a simple fact. The process for the carry permit hasn't been revised so they kept the court appearance portion of it and it's a stupid visit with some stupid questions. Many people have already talked about their court appearance experience and none of them had anything unpleasant to say about it. 

12 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

How is it intimidation though? It's a simple fact. The process for the carry permit hasn't been revised so they kept the court appearance portion of it and it's a stupid visit with some stupid questions. Many people have already talked about their court appearance experience and none of them had anything unpleasant to say about it. 

Consider that Prior to Bruen, the courts were the place where permits were denied. That was the states way to prevent and intimidate applicants from applying. They can no longer prevent the issuance, but they sure can intimidate applicants by the process alone.. 

PDs were adding similar kinds of "meetings" for FPIDs with additional criteria to dissuade people from applying. 

Our courts are swamped and under staffed, by judges etc... the fact they haven't rubber stamped the process tells you they want to continue having a finger on the pulse of who gets permits and who doesn't. 

Two of the criteria they are responsible for over seeing is already conducted at the administrative level.. the courts only responsibility is to add restrictions to the permit, which post Bruen should only indicate sensitivity places... and IMO that should be legislatively done because Bruen requires objective, and not a judge's subjective opinion. Case in point, everyone's permits should contain the same exact restrictions, otherwise there is no objectivity to them. 

So it does seem to continue to be part of a process to dissuade people from applying. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Spdracr said:

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

Consider that Prior to Bruen, the courts were the plave where permits were denied. That was the states way to prevent and intimidate applicants from applying. They can no longer prevent the issuance, but they sure can intimidate applicants by the process alone.. 

PDs were adding similar kinds of "meetings" for FPIDs with additional criteria to dissuade people from applying. 

Our courts are swamped and under staffed, by judges etc... the fact they haven't rubber stamped the process tells you they want to continue having a finger on the pulse of who gets permits and who doesn't. 

Two of the criteria they are responsible for over seeing is already conducted at the administrative level.. the courts only responsibility is to add restrictions to the permit, which post Bruen should only indicate sensitivity places... and IMO that should be legislatively because Bruen requires objective, and not a judge's subjective opinion... 

So it does seem to continue to be part of a process to dissuade people from applying. 

Everyone in that court room knows that they WANT to deny you. That in and of itself is intimidating. That some judge is going to tell you it's ok to practice your second amendment right after having met every dumb requirement that the state has set forth. It's just nonsense. On top of that were already seeing judges make up laws as they go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Seeing that it's now SHALL issue, there should be no reason to go to the courts at all.  

We need to support Jay Factor's Lawsuit #087269 fighting against the "requirement" of a case-by-case review in Superior Court.  Judges will no longer have the ability to question applicants on an UNCONSTITUTIONAL CASE-BY-CASE basis post-Bruen SCOTUS decision of June 23, 2022. Judges will no longer be able to instruct their staff to DELAY applications, slow-walking them through a 50+ year old overburdened and antique RED-TAPE series of built-in DELAYS.

CNJFO has a matching funds page - the org is matching up to $5000 to help fund Jay Factor's fight to make this better for all of us.  https://www.cnjfo.com/page-18138

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

Consider that Prior to Bruen, the courts were the place where permits were denied. That was the states way to prevent and intimidate applicants from applying. They can no longer prevent the issuance, but they sure can intimidate applicants by the process alone.. 

As the saying goes- "the process is the punishment".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sounds like Monmouth County changed the Judge responsible for reviewing carry permit applications.   Not sure what this means but I think it at least suggests that the Judge who was allegedly refusing to advance applications isn't part of the process anymore.   Not confirmed.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Shortfuse said:

Anyone know if any Lawyers or Organizations are working on eliminating some of the restrictions on the Ocean County Approved Permits especially #11 and what to do if you've already received your carry permit and someone gets some of these restrictions dropped

c10.jpg

I would say there is a 1% chance that this is happening for new permit holders in ocean county. This is employment related. My friend should have his ocean county permit back in the next week or so.  As soon as he gets it back I will post it and then we will know if this is something to get our panties in a bunch over.  I find this forum helpful, but there is so much fake news being spread on here to get people worked up it’s insane! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

I must have done something different than many, I got a money order from my bank. I have seen that people keep track of when the MO was cashed so I asked how I can check that. I was told that I cannot see that information, it is only possible with a cashiers check. 

You made the same mistake that I did -- not going to a USPS branch to get the MO, which is trackable.

EDIT:  I can't track my bank-issued MO either.

Edited by MrPib

25 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I would say there is a 1% chance that this is happening for new permit holders in ocean county. This is employment related. My friend should have his ocean county permit back in the next week or so.  As soon as he gets it back I will post it and then we will know if this is something to get our panties in a bunch over.  I find this forum helpful, but there is so much fake news being spread on here to get people worked up it’s insane! 

no this permit was not employment related. the assumption by the majority that it was. it was confirmed that this judge who doesn't handle the permits issued this based on her own set of rules. 

Just now, Shortfuse said:

So does someone know if something is being done about this ?

strikeforce is aware of it. not sure what action they are taking but im sure they won't just sit still. 

Jay Factor is the biggest case for us right now which should remove the judges entirely from the permit scheme and lessen the dumb delays. 

I just asked a friend from ocean county that got his a few weeks ago. His permit is completely unrestricted and he did not get any letter with restrictions from the court. It may be that this is something that was added later, I’ll ask some others. 
I dropped off my application at Jackson PD last week and they said they had only sent 8-10 applications to the courts so far. I don’t know if the clerk knew what she was talking about though. 

9 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

I just asked a friend from ocean county that got his a few weeks ago. His permit is completely unrestricted and he did not get any letter with restrictions from the court. It may be that this is something that was added later, I’ll ask some others. 
I dropped off my application at Jackson PD last week and they said they had only sent 8-10 applications to the courts so far. I don’t know if the clerk knew what she was talking about though. 

your friend most likely got his before this one since this was dated 8/23

1 hour ago, Spdracr said:

no this permit was not employment related. the assumption by the majority that it was. it was confirmed that this judge who doesn't handle the permits issued this based on her own set of rules. 

Wrong. This Judge does handle the permits for Ocean County. I called and spoke to the clerk. She also sent me my permit and didn’t have any of this as restrictions on mine. More fake news. We will know soon when my friend gets his. I will post the letter.

29 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Wrong. This Judge does handle the permits for Ocean County. I called and spoke to the clerk. She also sent me my permit and didn’t have any of this as restrictions on mine. More fake news. We will know soon when my friend gets his. I will post the letter.

It has been verified/confirmed that the 2 confirmed cases of this attached order are not work related permits.

These are regular civilians who applied for their permit to carry. One in Ocean and one in monmouth .

This is not speculation.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

Before accusing people of fake news please confirm your info first. 

6 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

It has been verified/confirmed that the 2 confirmed cases of this attached order are not work related permits.

These are regular civilians who applied for their permit to carry. One in Ocean and one in monmouth .

This is not speculation.

I was just about to post to inform him about the monmouth County permit that has the same restrictions since he doesn't seek to be aware. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Lefty said:

This is not speculation.

I will admit I am wrong when I see my friends, who will be getting it any day. Who has confirmed this was not for a work permit? I haven’t seen anything posted from the actual person of the order saying so.  

3 hours ago, Lucky Lefty said:

I think our friend Jim Jones is drinking the kool-aid... but I guess that's pretty obvious

I don’t drink the Kool-Aid, I just don’t buy into all the comments/rumors on here. Never seen anything like it. We are all a bunch of yentas. We should only be posting facts.  Too much speculation. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Spdracr said:

Before accusing people of fake news please confirm your info first. 

I was just about to post to inform him about the monmouth County permit that has the same restrictions since he doesn't seek to be aware. 

The Monmouth county was applied for before Bruen.  They followed the process that was pre-bruen which was when he applied. Next…also I am not commenting on Monmouth. I am commenting on Ocean…