CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

6 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

The Monmouth county was applied for before Bruen.  They followed the process that was pre-bruen which was when he applied. Next…

And issued post bruen, as a permit that has nothing to do with being used for his employment. Therefore, his permit should have followed suit with yours and everyone else in that first batch of approvals.

My speculation, and yes, it is pure speculation, is that his permit came to the table and as a means to try and stick it to him on the way out, they pulled this list of orders and applied it to him, and then to try and make it not seem like special treatment they are applying to everyone going forward.

Someone claimed on the fb group that upon picking up their permit, with the same list of orders, a TRPD officer informed them that a whole stack of previously approved, but not yet issued, permits were headed back to the judge to be revised and have that list of orders attached. This was one individual sharing his experience, not a buddy's, or neighbor's, but his account.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

Was that "Jonestown" pun intentional? Pretty funny, if it was. Pretty funny regardless, actually.  

Indeed.

2 hours ago, samiam said:

I wouldn't count on it. I've seen allegations that existing permits that are restricted to a specific handgun can be amended to include a different gun after (re)qualification, but, so far, that appears to be highly questionable. I have seen no indication that anyone has actually attempted this, or anything from anyone else that appears to be more than speculation. I see nothing at all in the the controlling statute or administrative code language that indicates that a permit that is currenlty in force can be modified for any reason, although I'm sure TPTB would find a pretext for revocation, if they wanted to do that. 

On one of the fb groups, one of the first to announce they received their permit, almost immediately had his permit amended to add a gun he bought while waiting for his permit. I forget the town, but he said he had to make an appointment with the court clerk to come back to the courthouse, and he had to bring a new photo, his qualification for the new pistol, proof of ownership, and his permit, and they printed him a new permit on the spot with the new gun listed along side what was already on there.

So as with apparently every part of this process, depends what town/county you live in.

12 minutes ago, Lucky Lefty said:

And issued post bruen, as a permit that has nothing to do with being used for his employment. Therefore, his permit should have followed suit with yours and everyone else in that first batch of approvals.

My speculation, and yes, it is pure speculation, is that his permit came to the table and as a means to try and stick it to him on the way out, they pulled this list of orders and applied it to him, and then to try and make it not seem like special treatment they are applying to everyone going forward.

Someone claimed on the fb group that upon picking up their permit, with the same list of orders, a TRPD officer informed them that a whole stack of previously approved, but not yet issued, permits were headed back to the judge to be revised and have that list of orders attached. This was one individual sharing his experience, not a buddy's, or neighbor's, but his account.

Indeed.

I should have a new Ocean County Permit very soon. Once I have the FACTS, I will share with the group including a picture so this is settled and we can focus on FACTS and not “rumors/speculation”.  Should be any day. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jim Jones said:

I should have a new Ocean County Permit very soon. Once I have the FACTS, I will share with the group including a picture so this is settled and we can focus on FACTS and not “rumors/speculation”.  Should be any day. 

Nothing would satisfy me more than for you to end all of the speculation and prove us wrong with what we believe is going on here.

You being on the money with your assumptions would be a win for all of us.

I truly hope you are right, and I am wrong in this instance.

Looking forward to your update about your friends permit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is it me or is there no place for the applicant to sign the SP624?  I looked at the link on GFH and went directly to the State Police website.  I know I'm idiot but didn't realize I was this dumb.  

9 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Is it me or is there no place for the applicant to sign the SP624?  I looked at the link on GFH and went directly to the State Police website.  I know I'm idiot but didn't realize I was this dumb.  

You sign right in the box where the Notary signs. On the back of the application.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

1967550363_Screenshotfrom2022-09-0513-43-13.png.d36973d07af72c26be01c9fe7e6b770c.png

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 10:24 AM, Jim Jones said:

Spoke to David at Evan Nappen’s office. Very helpful! David confirmed that the Judge can put restrictions that you cannot drive in a car with a loaded weapon. He did however state that if this happens you should go to a lawyer to request to have this amended because there should not be a substantial difference in just a couple of weeks of what is restricted vs not.  I asked if I was still able to drive with a loaded gun since my permit did not have the restriction and he said “absolutely”.  I hope this helps.

Jim, thanks for your post...Did David give any further information on what is going on now which should negate this restriction in a few weeks? Is it something he and other 2A lawyers in NJ are fighting right now?  Did he give you any insight if these counties doing this are doing it to all the applicants there, or using some other made-up criteria to single some people out on a case by case basis?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

3 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

Jim, thanks for your post...Did David give any further information on what is going on now which should negate this restriction in a few weeks? Is it something he and other 2A lawyers in NJ are fighting right now?  Did he give you any insight if these counties doing this are doing it to all the applicants there, or using some other made-up criteria to single some people out on a case by case basis?

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Sorry he did not, he was definitely rushed, but extremely helpful. I didn’t ask too many questions about that.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

I'll tell you sounds messed up...Get to ones destination, get out, open trunk, load gun in public, holster...A good way to get dead...Doing it in the car might be a little better but not much.

This has to be a pre-ruling mindset and totally unconstitutional under shall issue.

Agreed. I am pro 2A but if I saw someone doing that and then walk into a mall my kid was walking around in I would most likely call the cops…

Live in NJ - I work in Philly from time to time - have Act235 and CCW in PA.  I am "supposed" to keep my firearm in PA, I guess a locker at the range or at a friend's home???  Not supposed to travel from my home in NJ to PA with the firearm.   When I do, I have it properly locked in the trunk as per NJ law.  When I get to PA, I transfer my firearm to the passenger compartment, and then holster-up in my car - no one is the wiser.  

I certainly don't agree with any in-vehicle limitation or any other restriction of our rights, but you can certainly holster-up once you get to your destination discreetly.

46 minutes ago, JRT said:

I certainly don't agree with any in-vehicle limitation or any other restriction of our rights, but you can certainly holster-up once you get to your destination discreetly.

If you notice all the car jackings going on, having a loaded firearm in the car at the ready would be one of the main reasons to 'carry' all the time. My car is also my castle.

NYC thieves ram car into SUV in $20K heist on Upper East Side (nypost.com)

• Crazy 1

14 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

If you notice all the car jackings going on, having a loaded firearm in the car at the ready would be one of the main reasons to 'carry' all the time. My car is also my castle.

NYC thieves ram car into SUV in $20K heist on Upper East Side (nypost.com)

And that's exactly why they don't want you to. They want you to just give up the car, money, etc. You can't use a firearm to defend property in NJ anyway. 

Fellas-there is a CCW classroom class at we shoot on Sunday the 11th of September.  It’s from 10am-1pm. It costs $10, if you are a US LAW Shield member it is free.  I believe it is taught by a 2A lawyer but not sure.  Just sharing in case anyone is interested.  Hit me up if your going. 

40 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

You can't use a firearm to defend property in NJ anyway. 

When I am in my car and someone approaches with a gun drawn...

They don't intend to shoot my car. They don't intend to shoot my money. They intend to shoot me.

So I have every right to preempt them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lostboy said:

And that's exactly why they don't want you to. They want you to just give up the car, money, etc. You can't use a firearm to defend property in NJ anyway. 

Yes, and the Thug gets a free Gun too given that it was locked up in the trunk...Gotta hand it to the folks writing these laws!

Generally, one can't use a firearm just to prevent stealing (if) there is no deadly or serious bodily harm threat on you, but if thug is pointing a gun at you when he is going to steal your car or anything else from you, that certainly qualifies as threat of death and SBH.

9 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Fellas-there is a CCW classroom class at we shoot on Sunday the 11th of September.  It’s from 10am-1pm. It costs $10, if you are a US LAW Shield member it is free.  I believe it is taught by a 2A lawyer but not sure.  Just sharing in case anyone is interested.  Hit me up if your going. 

Jim, did you get your carry permit from the Ocean county judge and was it "un-restricted"? Just trying to figure out if this Judge is giving everyone in the county restricted permits or just on a case by case basis?

Thanks,

-Joe

1 hour ago, Combat Auto said:

Jim, did you get your carry permit from the Ocean county judge and was it "un-restricted"? Just trying to figure out if this Judge is giving everyone in the county restricted permits or just on a case by case basis?

Thanks,

-Joe

Yes mine was unrestricted, but it came on 8/9 and I was told I was the first in the county to receive it.  The one with the restrictions was delivered 8/23.  She could have changed the way she is restricting them, or it could have been an employment permit everyone has been concerned about. My buddy should have an OC permit soon so I will know when he gets his.

• Thanks 1

Nappin has a Carry seminar on Sunday, I will not be there but a Forum Friend from the 1911-F will be there asking this (about the driving restriction) and other questions of Nappin...I'm eager to know how this obvious unconstitutional restriction will be resolved (IF) indeed it turns out the Judge is now putting it on everyone in the county.

1 minute ago, samiam said:

You're assuming that the same idiots who are applying the restriction on carry in a vehicle on NJ permit holders wouln't construe transfer from a locked box to a worn holster in a parked vehicle as a violation. I would have a fairly low degree of comfort with that assumption. Regarding the risk incurred as a result, that woul depend on the situation. If you can find a parking spot that is reasonably isolated, you would probably be OK. A prime parkinig spot near a mall entrace during the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays, not so much. 

That's what I'm thinking... All by design. Just more nonsense to make you wonder what will get you arrested or killed. 

Deleted

11 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Do you have a link to register?

Edited by NorthernYankee