CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

7 minutes ago, brucin said:

And yet the Concealed Carry Improvement Act was allowed to go into effect.

I had to unload and load my gun several times a day and this was up in the Adirondacks where it has always been relatively easy to get a permit.

"Allowed" doesn't really put it into context. The law was passed, but its going to be challenged. I read somewhere everyone up there is pretty pissed off about that

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, galapoola said:

You would think that on its face it’s un-constitutional and a federal district judge could fast track a motion. Perhaps the most senior superior judge, one who oversees all the counties could put a stop to this practice. This is judicial misconduct and overreach. Finally, the acting attorney general who issued the directive could weigh in. The executive and judicial branches do not answer to one another however it was that directive from the executive branch that compelled the courts to no longer consider a letter of need. SCOTUS was very clear about sensitive place shenanigans, going so far as to name NYC as an example of what not to do. 
When my permit is issued, if I have the motor vehicle restriction, I’m going to speak with the chief of police in my town and see if he will instruct his department to not enforce that restriction. Most of my travel is within town so this could extend some relief while things get sorted out. We see sheriffs all across the nation standing up to tyranny, maybe it’s time to ask our PD’s to do the same.

Yea, no matter what, we are ahead of the game, who would have thought the NJ-AG would capitulate in 1 day, I figured 6m-a year of litigation...This driving thing will not stand long, it is so absurd on the face of it, but someone has to start the suite. It is a mixed bag, if we all get hosed, anjrpc will likely act, if a relatively few get hosed they might have to sue on their own...I'll try talking to the PD too, I live in a heavily republican district and the Ladies down at the firarm recodes department have been absolutely spectacular with support, but either way ANJRPC or not I will lawyer up and fight for my rights.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

"Allowed" doesn't really put it into context. The law was passed, but its going to be challenged. I read somewhere everyone up there is pretty pissed off about that

Pissed is an understatement. Some of the signs I saw welcoming concealed carry have the Sheriffs Dept. logo on them.

The judge who heard the first challenge ruled that the plaintiff did not have standing while saying the law is unconstitutional. The law stands till the next lawsuit.

Update from Hoboken/Hudson County - I'm now at 61 days since submitting my application. No letter from the PD or the courts; and the PD guy has not returned at least two VM's that I've left him over the past week to discuss the fingerprint issue that I *think* was resolved.

I'm trying to be patient, but it seems like folks here have had some success with calling the courts to get a sense of whether they've even received the package to approve. Who did you call? Is there a general administrator at the courthouse that you called? Thanks all.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Update from Hoboken/Hudson County - I'm now at 61 days since submitting my application. No letter from the PD or the courts; and the PD guy has not returned at least two VM's that I've left him over the past week to discuss the fingerprint issue that I *think* was resolved.

I'm trying to be patient, but it seems like folks here have had some success with calling the courts to get a sense of whether they've even received the package to approve. Who did you call? Is there a general administrator at the courthouse that you called? Thanks all.

Google your counties superior court. Call the criminal division and ask them. They’ll likely transfer you to the person handling the apps. 

2 hours ago, brucin said:

Pissed is an understatement. Some of the signs I saw welcoming concealed carry have the Sheriffs Dept. logo on them.

The judge who heard the first challenge ruled that the plaintiff did not have standing while saying the law is unconstitutional. The law stands till the next lawsuit.

The Federal judge didn't say the plaintiff didn't have standing. The judge pretty much said he agreed with the plaintiff.

However, what he did say was that the Federal Court did not have jurisdiction - basically the lawyer screwed up and sued in the wrong court. He should have gone to a NYS court.

2 hours ago, LineItem said:

Winner winner chicken dinner! You have been approved, just need to do it through the Courts. Get US lawshield so it only costs $150 for the year.  

• Like 1

I hope everyone is contacting ANJRPC about this no Car-carry issue to voice your concerns...This is relatively a new issue as the permits post SC ruling just starting to trickle out so we need to let them know, the more of us who contact them the better...Call them (it is only an answering machine) and e-mail the Stikeforce both contained on this link...You do not have to be a member to do this (but if you aren't a member shame shame;) only $40 for non range membership):

If we don't complain, we can only blame ourselves - in addition to how unconstitutional this Judge overreach is on the face of it, remember to articulate the risk to our lives if we have to load the gun in public:

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/A_Strikeforce

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I agree 100%. I expect to receive my permit from the Ocean County Court with said restrictions and have plans to do exactly as you suggest. I looked into the non-range membership but could not find the page for that, just regular range option. I donated more than the non range cost while there, money well spent. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

I agree 100%. I expect to receive my permit from the Ocean County Court with said restrictions and have plans to do exactly as you suggest. I looked into the non-range membership but could not find the page for that, just regular range option. I donated more than the non range cost while there, money well spent. 

https://www.anjrpc.org/general/register_member_type.asp

Bottom of the page linked above, you choose the type of membership. First option is adult non-range. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jim Jones said:

Winner winner chicken dinner! You have been approved, just need to do it through the Courts. Get US lawshield so it only costs $150 for the year.  

Purchased US lawshield last week based on your previous advice - I think it's an incredibly important backup when you're dealing with possible life-altering legal issues. 

• Agree 3

48 minutes ago, samiam said:

I provided a link to the US Law Shield analysis of this issue a few posts back in this thread. It is both narrow and nuanced. If anyone takes away from some of the previous posts on the subject the idea that a property owner in Texas can legally just blast away at someone who is trespassing on, or messing with, his lawful property, with no process, and for no other reason, they are mistaken. I think it is only the demonic restraints that NJ puts on armed defense of self and property that makes states like Texas seem like they have no restrictions at all by comparison. 

And that was exactly my point. Don't read too much into it. The point was that compared to NJ, things are a little looser in free America. 

31 minutes ago, samiam said:

I'm skeptical that any police chief, regardless of sympathies or political affiliations, is going to agree to disregard what at the moment is considered to be a lawful court order in NJ, particularly one in regard to a high profile issue like PtC. Even if that came to pass, are you 100% confident that you know that no part of your routine drives takes you over a jurisdictional line into another town, even briefly? I worry about state borders on my drive to Virginia, and town borders on a NJ highway are typically much more vague than that. Also, don't forget that is is quite possible to be pulled over by NJSP within the jurisdictional limits of a town that has its own PD, and I think I know how a state cop would respond to the claim that "my poice chief said it was OK"....

Talking to local PD is in addition to lawyering up, not a replacement...Lets hope ANJRPC takes care of the Lawyering. I made no comment about where I drive, I think you convolved two posters...At any rate discussing with PD is free, no charge so why not. It isn't a solution, possible some added value.

1 hour ago, LineItem said:

Purchased US lawshield last week based on your previous advice - I think it's an incredibly important backup when you're dealing with possible life-altering legal issues. 

This is exactly why I just went ahead and purchased a membership on Friday. I've heard of 11ppl in NJ getting red flagged and 8 having their firearms seized as per Anthony @ GFH all while they have valid FID cards and been getting approved for pistol permits for years. that was enough for me to purchase and for $200 (I added bail bond and expert witness as well as multi-state) I feel I saved thousands and it was a huge relief.  

Gun For Hire site is super helpful so thanks to them.  However, the link for the mental health background check says it needs Internet Explorer and that link does fail using other browsers.  

Isn't this the same form at this location?

NJ SP-066

3 hours ago, samiam said:

I'd be interested if you could do any follow-up on that post by Bryan Frankshun. He wrote that his permit has the restrictions, but he doesn't say that his wife's permit, issued at about the same time has them. I also wonder if "my court order is the one floating around with all the restrictions" means that his permit also has those restrictions, or that it is literally his permit that was posted to start all of this kerfluffle. 

Looks like someone already asked those follow up questions. Appears to me that he and his wife, and to his knowledge all permits being issued out of ocean county have that list of restrictions attached.

Worth noting that he says his and his wife's permit are check "no restrictions", with no mention of the order on the permit, however the order instructs them to carry permit and the order.

The competence of our court system is really something to behold.

SmartSelect_20220907-120023_Samsung Internet.jpg

Worth noting that he says his and his wife's permit are check "no restrictions", with no mention of the order on the permit, however the order instructs them to carry permit and the order.”

So in the unlikely event this couple is questioned by a LEO, and they self identify and/or the LEO notices they are driving with a loaded gun, what will the officer see when they present the permit? It will look just like theirs, unrestricted. That’s pretty much it.
The PCH is a joke, a non laminated hand made permit too big for your wallet with a picture pasted on. Do we honestly think the state has it together enough to even have an accessible data base for patrolman? All your paperwork is in a file cabinet in a folder with your name on it. The state is not going to spend $100,000’s to stand up and maintain a data base. That takes time, hardware, software and personnel who earn salaries.

36 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

Gun For Hire site is super helpful so thanks to them.  However, the link for the mental health background check says it needs Internet Explorer and that link does fail using other browsers.  

Isn't this the same form at this location?

NJ SP-066

That is an older revision. Go directly to the NJSP website for ALL forms.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/forms.shtml

9 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yes, another poster mentioned that he drives almost exclusively within his home town, and suggested he might ask his local police chief to ignore any restrictions on carrying while driving that might accompany his permit. You sort of seconded his post, I thought that might include the limited scope of driving part, as well as the conversation with the chief. Sorry, bad assumption on my part. 

No worries my friend, no need to apologies...