CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Here is  Bit of GOOD News for a change, I just got this response from the ANJRPC-Strikeforce, a response to my e-mail concerning the "no carry while driving" restriction, I am sure they don't mind me sharing...Great to hear this, there is no way that restriction will stand even if we have to sue.

"We’re already on this.

Thank you for your report.

Dan"
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

Here is  Bit of GOOD News for a change, I just got this response from the ANJRPC-Strikeforce, a response to my e-mail concerning the "no carry while driving" restriction, I am sure they don't mind me sharing...Great to hear this, there is no way that restriction will stand even if we have to sue.

"We’re already on this.

Thank you for your report.

Dan"

I'm guessing that's Dan Schmutter? Good, one of the lawyers and not a paralegal

14 minutes ago, galapoola said:

I'm guessing that's Dan Schmutter? Good, one of the lawyers and not a paralegal

Yep...Least we forget, freedom cost money, I hope everyone is a member of ANJRPC and donates even beyond the measly $40 dues...Of course I am an NRA member also, but IMO, I give ANJRPC the priority, they do great work considering how the odds are stacked against 2A in NJ...But the SCOTUS gave us a 2A "BOOSTER-SHOT" in June so things will change for the better from here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Morris County update. I called down to the Morris County courthouse today to see if my application has been received. It wasn't in the stack just yet.

However, I took the opportunity to have a chat and find out from the person that handles our applications directly what the deal is for Morris County.

- Since July, MC has issued approximately 90 permits. 
- He has about 100 apps on his desk right now
- He says once received, they do process very quickly
- I asked if Morris County judge is requiring court appearance. He laughed pretty hard and said no. He said court appearance would be requested only in situations where there are actual questions, such as: Applicant has had lots of contacts with law enforcement, convicted felon living in the home, maybe someone living in the home going through some sort of drug recovery, etc...

I will continue to check back and see what the status is with mine. I did appreciate that he genuinely thought it was funny when I asked about the court appearance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

Well, i called the Hudson courthouse today at 60+ days since my application submittal and the clerk (who wasn’t particularly friendly) said she is responsible for all permits in the area and has not received mine. 
Any suggestions on the next step? I’m inclined to send an email to the acting Chief of my town, but I’d like to be careful about coming off like a jerk. Anybody have the same issue? How did you go about it?

8 minutes ago, LineItem said:

Well, i called the Hudson courthouse today at 60+ days since my application submittal and the clerk (who wasn’t particularly friendly) said she is responsible for all permits in the area and has not received mine. 
Any suggestions on the next step? I’m inclined to send an email to the acting Chief of my town, but I’d like to be careful about coming off like a jerk. Anybody have the same issue? How did you go about it?

I would go to the PD, respectfully, and just ask. Word carefully to avoid further delays.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, samiam said:

There is a lot of truth in what you write. However, if every PtC for Ocean and Monmouth Counties subsequent to a certain known date is accompanied by a court order that the permit holder is required to carry (and follow), no database would be needed. That fact and the issue date of the permit would be all the cop needed to know. to churn up a significant shit storm for a permitee subject to such an order who failed to carry it, and/or failed to observe its restrictions. 

I don’t know . . .  Do we think the rank and file front line police are in the know about dates like we all are? Probably not

38 minutes ago, g17owner said:

I would go to the PD, respectfully, and just ask. Word carefully to avoid further delays.

The thing is; they’re unresponsive and will be combative if I go in person. Hence the email route. If they’re belligerent in email I’d send that to an attorney. 

36 minutes ago, samiam said:

Yep, if you expect inappropriate responses that you need to bring to the attention of an attorney, it would be much better and easier if you have the offending language in writing than trying to relay what you were told verbally. Of course, the other side might be smart enough to be more careful about what they write than about what they say. That could potentially work to your advantange either way.  

Don't worry, they'll cash it soon. Christmas shopping season will be here before you know it!

Well, I emailed the chief around 5:15pm and he just responded -

"Since it is after hours, I was unable to check on the status of your application. I have already made an inquiry with the commander of the bureau. We will make contact with you tomorrow. Thanks"

You can't ask for much more than that. Very professional and helpful. The bureau guy might be a little upset though, for having the chief bust his chops, I guess I'm going to find out. LOL. Send bail money if you don't hear from me.

• Haha 1

So, as I read 70+ pages here carefully :) I see 2-3 people got their permits only. Most people are still waiting for judge's approvals in many different counties. Do you think they are boycotting this new job for them in NJ or waiting for governor/da to give them some new steps to prohibit this or what? Longer they are not approving - more applications they will collect, more applications they collect - longer we will wait and our qualification will expire ...:( Any response from any of them on why it is not moving anyhow?

Also for mods, would be good to have new thread "I got ccw permit" with just name, dates and county.

• Agree 2

49 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

So, as I read 70+ pages here carefully :) I see 2-3 people got their permits only. Most people are still waiting for judge's approvals in many different counties. Do you think they are boycotting this new job for them in NJ or waiting for governor/da to give them some new steps to prohibit this or what? Longer they are not approving - more applications they will collect, more applications they collect - longer we will wait and our qualification will expire ...:( Any response from any of them on why it is not moving anyhow?

Also for mods, would be good to have new thread "I got ccw permit" with just name, dates and county.

I'm at day 50 myself. 9/16 will be 60 days. Have we come to a consensus on what the 60+ day applicants should be doing? Wonder if we should be emailing the ANJRPC strike force so they have some ammo for a next big move. I listened to one podcast with Dan Schmutter as the guest and he said he and Scott Bach where in communications with the NJ AG offices in the lead up to the SCOTUS June opinion. That probably helped the acting AG with the quick directive. Now that there should be a good number of us nearing the statutory 60 days, perhaps we should all be emailing the Strikeforce.

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, galapoola said:

I'm at day 50 myself. 9/16 will be 60 days. Have we come to a consensus on what the 60+ day applicants should be doing? Wonder if we should be emailing the ANJRPC strike force so they have some ammo for a next big move. I listened to one podcast with Dan Schmutter as the guest and he said he and Scott Bach where in communications with the NJ AG offices in the lead up to the SCOTUS June opinion. That probably helped the acting AG with the quick directive. Now that there should be a good number of us nearing the statutory 60 days, perhaps we should all be emailing the Strikeforce.

Police departments have 60 days. 
if you hear nothing from the Police Department after 60 days you will need to find a way to get your default approved application to the County Superior Court. I do not know how to do that. That is where you need some expert legal advice. 

Assuming an approved application gets to the County Superior Court, the Judge has 30 days to approve or hold a hearing. If the 30 day deadline passes without contact from the Court, one option is to politely call the chambers of the judge responsible for permits, explain your situation, and ask what to do. If you want to try to force the judge’s hand I would recommend getting legal advice, and the advice might be to wait a bit longer while the lawyer contacts the Judge’s chambers. 

• Agree 1

Dropped my package off today at the NJSP in Woodstown (Salem County).  There were 3 of us dropping off at the same time.  The officer receiving them was easy to deal with.  One guy forgot a copy of his birth certificate.  The officer took everything else and told him to just email a copy of it so she could put it with his package.  Sounds like they have 3 to 4 people working the packages and as of today there are 65 ( 62 plus our 3) pending through their station. 

She said it will take a while (no specific time frame given) for the package to go through the process and one of the bottle necks is that they receive finger print/background info via snail mail.  

My cost break down below does not include gas to travel or ammo for firearms qual.

Firearms Qualification   $125

Money order and fee      $51

Fingerprints                     $101.45  (includes out of state fee for going to Morton, PA and $5 toll.)

photos                               $7  (selfie in front of white background, uploaded to www.visafoto.com, resized to 1.5x1.5 by selecting NY firearms photo size, then printed and cut out at home.  With the right software, this could be free.)

Total $284.45.  Could be down around $235 if I stayed in state and waited a month for finger prints and found a way to do the photos for free.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Dropped my package off today at the NJSP in Woodstown (Salem County).  There were 3 of us dropping off at the same time.  The officer receiving them was easy to deal with.  One guy forgot a copy of his birth certificate.  The officer took everything else and told him to just email a copy of it so she could put it with his package.  Sounds like they have 3 to 4 people working the packages and as of today there are 65 ( 62 plus our 3) pending through their station. 

She said it will take a while (no specific time frame given) for the package to go through the process and one of the bottle necks is that they receive finger print/background info via snail mail.  

My cost break down below does not include gas to travel or ammo for firearms qual.

Fingerprints                     $101.45  (includes out of state fee for going to Morton, PA and $5 toll.)

photos                               $7  (selfie in front of white background, uploaded to www.visafoto.com, resized to 1.5x1.5 by selecting NY firearms photo size, then printed and cut out at home.  With the right software, this could be free.)

Total $284.45.  Could be down around $235 if I stayed in state and waited a month for finger prints and found a way to do the photos for free.

You left out 

Notary Fee

9 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

Why were the prints so much?

10 hours ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

You left out 

Notary Fee

Notary can be done free - I went to my bank and they did it for me for free

1 hour ago, Lostboy said:

Why were the prints so much?

Since it's out of state, they charge a "Location Fee"... it's part of their money making scam.

53 minutes ago, jmrdmd said:

For some reason they charge extra for getting them done out of state.  They are around 50.00 in state.

$56.50.  I paid $39.95 location fee to get mine done in Doylestown, PA in the back of a little parcel shipping spot.

On 7/27/22 paid $57.38 in Manahawkin (only a 10 day wait) took prints then 10 min ride to Shooters for qualification $90 then the PO for Money  $51 then Bank for Notary Free then CVS for Photos $21  it was a Very  Productive day off work Submitted all on 7/29/22 as of 9/6/22  last reference was called don't know if references is the last step before the Court or not 

Grand Total $219.38  Not counting Ammo and Gas  and the $100 or so I spent in Shooters after the Qualification or the $90 I spent on a second qual for  a gun I received after the first qual  that I added to my App I got a 3rd pistol after that but I may hold out to see if we can amend the permits after to ad guns or if the statute about one permit for all legally owned handguns gets honored :D

29 minutes ago, samiam said:

Mostly agree. I'm not convinced about how deferential one should be if the application has advanced to Superior Court and those employees of the people have not discharged their legal responsibilities in the required time. I'm more inclined toward a solution of mailing them a polite (but firm) registered letter citing Gregg A. Grant's 06-19 directive, itemizing exactly how they have failed to meet the requirements articulated in that directive, and demanding that they take action to recitify their failing(s), along with notification to the applicant regarding exactly when that can be expected to happen. I would cc: Strike Force and/or a private attorney on that letter. Frankly, backlogs at and understaffing of the courts isn't our problem, and shouldn't be our concern. We citizens rarely, if ever, get any slack from the bureacracy when circumstances impair us in following the letter of the law in the time that is legally required. I fail to see any good reason why we should grant them more latitude than they would give us. Maybe they should hold themselves in contempt.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. 

Even on a good day Judges and their staff are typically under an enormous overload of work. Often, a polite call to the Judge’s Chambers can work wonders. 

As to how you can actually force a Judge to order another Judge to follow the Directive, that could take years. You might need to file a Mandamus action with the Court of Appeals. And if that gets denied you would need to go to the New Jersey Supreme Court. Good luck with that. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Updating my timeline:

8/15 - Package submitted to PD
8/16 - Fingerprinted @ Identogo location
8/17 - Identogo Message: Enrollment received - Your enrollment has been received and is being processed.
9/8 - Application hand delivered to Morris County Superior Court by detective from PD

Will update this as my timeline progresses

• Thanks 1