CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

24 minutes ago, samiam said:

My understanding is that the permit to carry in NJ is not a concealed carry permit, it will allow us to open carry if we choose, does anyone disagree with that?

If we were only to look at that point, then you would be correct, you wouldn’t be doing anything wrong if someone witnessed you loading or unloading a firearm from your holster to your trunk.

Just because NJ does not distinguish between concealed and open, the firearm MUST be in a holster.  

2 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Just because NJ does not distinguish between concealed and open, the firearm MUST be in a holster.  

Why?

Can you show me a law saying that you must use a holster?

What constitutes a holster? Does it have to be registered as a holster? Can I make my own out of Kydex or leather and then put a serial number on it?

Can you show me where those trigger blocking devices that allow you to pocket carry are outlawed by law?

• FacePalm 1

3 hours ago, marlintag said:

Strikeforce seems to be laser focused on addressing the "ocean county car carry" restriction, but no one is addressing the counties like Middlesex and Somerset that have not issued a single permit to anyone! I have emailed Strikeforce already regarding Middlesex county and have received no response nor have I seen any change in this county. What's the point of pouring resources into fighting the "car carry" restriction at this juncture when there are still numerous counties that are refusing to issue a single permit? At least those in Ocean, Passiac, Morris, Hunterdon Counties are getting something. I'm very disappointed with the chosen course of action, can someone else other than me email strikeforce regarding Middlesex, Somerset Etc?

I think the thought process of why the car carry is so important is because if they don't nip it in the bud immediately the counties that aren't issuing will begin issuing with the same restriction.  Then we have an even bigger issue, while I feel bad for residents of the counties not getting their PCH promptly I would rather see you wait a bit rather then get a basically useless PCH and then have to fight it to get it changed.

Just my 2 cents.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Variant said:

Why?

Can you show me a law saying that you must use a holster?

What constitutes a holster? Does it have to be registered as a holster? Can I make my own out of Kydex or leather and then put a serial number on it?

Can you show me where those trigger blocking devices that allow you to pocket carry are outlawed by law?

Wut. 

Indeed. 

NJ issues a permit to carry. There is no law that says it must be concealed or not. 

A holster is pretty straightforward, it retains the firearm under less than ideal situations. Make your own if you want.

Just now, JackDaWack said:

NJ issues a permit to carry. There is no law that says it must be concealed or not. 

A holster is pretty straightforward, it retains the firearm under less than ideal situations. Make your own if you want.

I think there might be some confusion here. My post was in direct reply to the gentleman saying “the firearm MUST be in a holster”. His emphasis on “must”.

I’m asking the gentleman to tell us what law requires that. I’d also like to know the definition of what a holster actually is. Can I call my pocket a holster? Can grandma knit me a holster? What would satisfy this law that he is talking about?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Variant said:

I think there might be some confusion here. My post was in direct reply to the gentleman saying “the firearm MUST be in a holster”. His emphasis on “must”.

I’m asking the gentleman to tell us what law requires that. I’d also like to know the definition of what a holster actually is. Can I call my pocket a holster? Can grandma knit me a holster? What would satisfy this law that he is talking about?

It one of things related to maintaining control of your weapon, you can catch any number of charges being a threat to the public. 

It's also just common sense and really stupid to argue not using a quality holster anyway. 

Just now, JackDaWack said:

It one of things related to maintaining control of your weapon, you can catch any number of charges being a threat to the public. 

I don’t understand what you’re saying, and how it relates to the statement above. 

Can you show me a law stating that a firearm must be in a holster?  

And if so, what is the definition of a holster. 

• FacePalm 1

My grandma doesn’t knit, but she could bake up Kydex with the best of them :D

As far as the derailment, I still want to go to the bottom of this. The discussion was about removing a firearm from your person and locking it in a box in your vehicle. That is when Rambo very affirmatively said “the firearm MUST be in a holster”.

I don’t believe that is true in any respect, and I would like to give him a chance to prove his assertion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Variant said:

I don’t understand what you’re saying, and how it relates to the statement above. 

Can you show me a law stating that a firearm must be in a holster?  

And if so, what is the definition of a holster. 

When you have a ND I'm sure that will be an excellent question and point for a Jury.

Does it have to be in a holster when transfer to a lock box/trunk? No. I think the point is the inability to claim someone is brandishing a weapon which is a crime. 

You fall outside that requirement when you have a PTC. 

I was just poking the bear about derailment.

You guys are arguing 2 different points from here.

There is no law for holster.

Yes it might be frowned upon or prosecutor may use against you in court if you use a tube sock, but they'll also try to use everything they can possibly twist against you, so.. kydex.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Lefty said:

I was just poking the bear about derailment.

You guys are arguing 2 different points from here.

There is no law for holster.

Yes it might be frowned upon or prosecutor may use against you in court if you use a tube sock, but they'll also try to use everything they can possibly twist against you, so.. kydex.

Yes, and that’s a secondary thing. My main concern is that his reply about a holster being required was to in reply to a post discussing removing a firearm from your person and putting it in a vehicle. Is he saying that you’re not allowed to do that, that it must remain in the holster?

That is why I’m asking for him to clarify what he thinks “MUST” be done. 

22 minutes ago, Variant said:

Yes, and that’s a secondary thing. My main concern is that his reply about a holster being required was to in reply to a post discussing removing a firearm from your person and putting it in a vehicle. Is he saying that you’re not allowed to do that, that it must remain in the holster?

That is why I’m asking for him to clarify what he thinks “MUST” be done. 

I would argue to prevent catching a charge for brandishing a firearm, among other charges like causing public panic etc. As rediculous it may sound You live in NJ, remember.... people don't want you to have a gun and feel threatened by them. 

What "Must" be done to prevent you from a set of silver bracelets will require a lot of care with the way we will be treated, and the examples being sought. 

2 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I would argue to prevent catching a charge for brandishing a firearm, among other charges like causing public panic etc. As rediculous it may sound You live in NJ, remember.... people don't want you to have a gun and feel threatened by them. 

What "Must" be done to prevent you from a set of silver bracelets will require a lot of care with the way we will be treated, and the examples being sought. 

OK, so you are saying that Rambo’s quote of “the firearm MUST be in a holster” is not law, it’s just your opinion of what we should do to avoid a charge?

I thought this was a discussion of firearm laws? 

I also think it’s a bit rude for you to go back and edit almost every one of your posts to add something that you didn’t say the first time. It has significantly changed the conversation.

An example would be you editing a post to add this:

”It's also just common sense and really stupid to argue not using a quality holster anyway.”

I never argued not using a holster. I am asking what law says we MUST use a holster and what qualifies as a holster according to that law. 

OK, so you are saying that Rambo’s quote of “the firearm MUST be in a holster” is not law, it’s just your opinion of what we should do to avoid a charge?

I also think it’s a bit rude for you to go back and edit almost every one of your posts to add something that you didn’t say the first time. It has significantly changed the conversation.

An example would be you editing a post to add this:

”It's also just common sense and really stupid to argue not using a quality holster anyway.”

I never argued not using a holster. I am asking what law says we MUST use a holster and what qualifies as a holster according to that law. 

Wrong. this is suppose to be a discussion of carry permit application experiences.

2 hours ago, Variant said:

I spoke with the gentleman who handles the firearm permits in the North Arlington police department and he said they’ve received 10 applications, they came in very early after the ruling.

I saw a picture of one person’s permit in Bergen County, does anyone know anything else about Bergen County?

Bergen county is issuing permits and is one of the better counties. As long as your PD submits the applications to the court the Judge will sign and issue the permit. The only restrictions are the pistols that you qualified with are listed on the rear of the permit itself. No court orders. I received my PTC on 9/2. Application submitted to PD on 7/21. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kadayo said:

Bergen county is issuing permits and is one of the better counties. As long as your PD submits the applications to the court the Judge will sign and issue the permit. The only restrictions are the pistols that you qualified with are listed on the rear of the permit itself. No court orders. I received my PTC on 9/2. Application submitted to PD on 7/21. 

Excellent, thank you.  Can I ask where you qualified? I assume it would be rude to ask what town you’re from, I don’t expect that.

3 minutes ago, Variant said:

Excellent, thank you.  Can I ask where you qualified? I assume it would be rude to ask what town you’re from, I don’t expect that.

I qualified at Reloaderz. At the time it was $106 with member discount. It has since gone up to $213.25 for non members. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kadayo said:

I qualified at Reloaderz. At the time it was $106 with member discount. It has since gone up to $213.25 for non members. 

Thanks! I’m curious, did you have any issues? Any hiccups with what you submitted or the way you wrote something on the application? 

2 hours ago, NorthernYankee said:

I think the thought process of why the car carry is so important is because if they don't nip it in the bud immediately the counties that aren't issuing will begin issuing with the same restriction.  Then we have an even bigger issue, while I feel bad for residents of the counties not getting their PCH promptly I would rather see you wait a bit rather then get a basically useless PCH and then have to fight it to get it changed.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed, I'm just annoyed with the obstructionist counties (mine included) that haven't issued anything. 

42 minutes ago, Variant said:

Thanks! I’m curious, did you have any issues? Any hiccups with what you submitted or the way you wrote something on the application? 

No issues at all. My PD is very good with firearms applications in general. Pistol permits come back in less than two weeks. The staff there couldn’t be more helpful and friendly. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kadayo said:

No issues at all. My PD is very good with firearms applications in general. Pistol permits come back in less than two weeks. The staff there couldn’t be more helpful and friendly. 

Thank you. I hate to keep doing this, this will be the last time. One more question. Where did you get your photos taken and what size were they?  I’ve seen some varying information on this and it’s best to do exactly what your judge allowed. 

2 hours ago, Variant said:

I believe GFH is around the same price. 

Reloaderz offering is a full 3 hour course, FWIW. Not just shooting. 

Reloaderz let’s you shoot the qualifier twice at that price. You can either do two guns or a second chance if you failed it the first time. They also let you put up to four firearms on the qualifying sheet. You only need to qualify with each type of firearm once. IE hammer fired postols and striker fired pistols. I qualified with my SR1911 and Glock 26 but my permit has 4 pistols on it. Good price if you ask me. GFH would charge $300 for 4 pistols for non members and you would have to shoot the course 4 times.