CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

Do not do anything that could be charged as brandishing. Here in the Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan comrades would trip over their own feet rushing to report a handgun gun holstered on the hip as brandishing, and whether convicted or not you will be in a world of hurt and your career and employment prospects could easily be ruined. 

1 minute ago, Variant said:

Thank you. I hate to keep doing this, this will be the last time. One more question. Where did you get your photos taken and what size were they?  I’ve seen some varying information on this and it’s best to do exactly what your judge allowed. 

No worries. I took my own photos on my phone and used an online service called makepassportphoto.com. They charged $2.99 to format the pictures correctly at 1.5” x 1.5”. I took those files and emailed them to Walgreens and printed them for .80 cents. Easy peasy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

1 minute ago, Cheflife15 said:

The person at identigo in staten Island told me 2 weeks? 24 to 48 hours sounds much better to me though lol. 

That's interesting. I went to staten islsnd as well. They told me 24-48 hours... Seems everybody just makes shit up as they go.

I submitted my packet on 8/19, printed on 8/22, received email from OBPD telling me my application was sent to the court on 9/6.

Just now, Steve_G said:

That's interesting. I went to staten islsnd as well. They told me 24-48 hours... Seems everybody just makes shit up as they go.

I submitted my packet on 8/19, printed on 8/22, received email from OBPD telling me my application was sent to the court on 9/6.

I'm hoping you're right. I got my prints done Saturday morning. 

1 hour ago, Variant said:

Thank you. I hate to keep doing this, this will be the last time. One more question. Where did you get your photos taken and what size were they?  I’ve seen some varying information on this and it’s best to do exactly what your judge allowed. 

• I took pictures with my phone standing against a white wall.
  • Trimmed them with my computer's built-in photo editing software - maybe it's microsoft paint?  Whatever comes with windows.
  • pasted them into word and resized using the rulers on the edges of the page.
  • printed on photo paper using our cheap walmart ink jet printer.
  • Trimmed with scissors.

4 hours ago, ATFspymen said:

Has anyone heard anything in Union County? I cant find any information on anybody getting a permit issued so far.

I just wanted to ask the same question. Can't find out if Union County has issued a single permit yet. Anybody know? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

2 hours ago, Kadayo said:

Reloaderz let’s you shoot the qualifier twice at that price. You can either do two guns or a second chance if you failed it the first time. They also let you put up to four firearms on the qualifying sheet. You only need to qualify with each type of firearm once. IE hammer fired postols and striker fired pistols. I qualified with my SR1911 and Glock 26 but my permit has 4 pistols on it. Good price I’d you ask me. GFH would charge $300 for 4 pistols for non members and you would have to shoot the course 4 times. 

Same in RTSP, class is one hour no need in 3 hours. Qualification is a joke if you ever shot any pistol in your life. Why? because target is huge, even for 15y. They said you could apply in as many guns as you like but I would suggest you to be reasonable. Mine was G19/5 and Shield plus both with the reddots, next time I might add one more pistol. If I ever get approved first place :)

2 minutes ago, leo-польд said:

Same in RTSP, class is one hour no need in 3 hours. Qualification is a joke if you ever shot any pistol in your life. Why? because target is huge, even for 15y. They said you could apply in as many guns as you like but I would suggest you to be reasonable. Mine was G19/5 and Shield plus both with the reddots.

Reloaderz uses HQC1 which is 60 rounds starting at 25 yards and moves closer as you move along. I passed no problem but half of the 15 shooters in my class did not pass. It seemed like some of the people in the class never shot a pistol before or haven’t shot in a long time. One guy cut his hand on the slide of his pistol. Assuming a bad grip but who knows. 

2 hours ago, Kadayo said:

Reloaderz let’s you shoot the qualifier twice at that price. You can either do two guns or a second chance if you failed it the first time. They also let you put up to four firearms on the qualifying sheet. You only need to qualify with each type of firearm once. IE hammer fired postols and striker fired pistols. I qualified with my SR1911 and Glock 26 but my permit has 4 pistols on it. Good price if you ask me. GFH would charge $300 for 4 pistols for non members and you would have to shoot the course 4 times. 

I have no problem easily passing HQC1 but I find their reasoning for that particular course and pooh-poohing others to be suspect - they claim that they are more future proof. In reality though the state can easily set whatever standard it wants including a higher training standard like NY did. I did GFH's course because they are a known entity (to me) and they have been qualifying carry permit holders since the 1990s. But it's everyone's choice, so do what you feel comfortable with.

56 minutes ago, MJFNJ said:

I just wanted to ask the same question. Can't find out if Union County has issued a single permit yet. Anybody know? 

Thanks in advance

Mike

I just found this. A lot of good information on Union County permit information.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1104826440133442

Mike

3 hours ago, Variant said:One more question. Where did you get your photos taken and what size were they?  

Taken at home with my phone, using a suitable neutral wall as background.  Uploaded to Walgreens photo center, using their 4x4 collage template on a 4”x4” print 

Total cost 53 cents. 

Each photo in the collage prints out at about 1.8” square, so leave enough blank space around your head to allow trimming to 1.5” square.  Untrimmed, the photos might pass for 2x2”, but I think the consensus has been they really should be 1.5 sq. 

2 minutes ago, 10X said:

Taken at home with my phone, using a suitable neutral wall as background.  Uploaded to Walgreens photo center, using their 4x4 collage template on a 4”x4” print 

Total cost 53 cents. 

Each photo in the collage prints out at about 1.8” square, so leave enough blank space around your head to allow trimming to 1.5” square.  Untrimmed, the photos might pass for 2x2”, but I think the consensus has been they really should be 1.5 sq. 

I submitted 2” prints in ocean county and the courts cut them down for me.

2 hours ago, RadioGunner said:

including a higher training standard like NY did

Have you seen the NY CoF? It is 5 rounds at 4 yards and 4 of the 5 shots must touch a piece of paper 25.5" x 11". This is not draw from a holster and no time limit.

6 hours ago, ATFspymen said:

Can you update me on this I don't have FB can you give me a run down?

ATFspyman here is a quote dated a week ago from Facebook page

"Angel M. Dios

Union county just started sending out letters this week as per the judges request. If yours was prior to his request to do so or pending, you may still get one. I reached out for a status to my friend who is the assistant criminal
División manager in Union this is the info he got from the investigator working for the judge isenhour. He said permits should prob start getting issued in a week or two."
another quote with good info
"Union Criminal Division

Criminal Division Main Number

908-787-1650, ext. 21250

Robert Eppenstein, Criminal Division Manager

908-787-1650, ext. 21152

Michael Jan, Asst. Criminal Division Manager

908-787-1650, ext. 21038

Roberto Toca, Asst. Criminal Division Manager/Pretrial Service

908-787-1650, ext. 21037  

Annalisa is the person to contact"

Hope this helps. You might want to hook up with someone who has access to Facebook so you can read the all the posts.

Mike

10 hours ago, Kdin1 said:

Does anyone know how long it is taking Identogo to process the fingerprints? How them done Tuesday August 30.

They told me if you are already in their system, i.e. were fingerprinted for something else by them, they "archive" your results and it takes 24-28 hours.

9 hours ago, 10X said:

Total cost 53 cents. 

I had to renew my Utah and took a "selfie" against a white cinderblock wall. They accepted it and now my Utah permit looks like a prison photo. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2