CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

My applications been at the court since 8/23. Application didn’t get processed by the person handling the applications until 9/2. Hundreds of applications on her desk. Probably thousands by now. Someone at the courthouse counting the days for each application? Doubt it. I gave my opinion/interpretation of the 30 day directive in a previous post… it states that the applications must be reviewed at least once every 30 days. It does not say that they must be approved or denied. Also does not say that if no action is taken then they are automatically approved. The 30 day directive doesn’t seem to carry very much weight. Basically means nothing. I really hate to say it but I think it’s going to be a long wait. The police department’s seem to be doing what they are supposed to, abiding by the 60 days. They know the applications are going to be coming in by the truckload so they were smart and got them all sent out to the court. 

18 minutes ago, samiam said:

My applications been at the court since 8/23. Application didn’t get processed by the person handling the applications until 9/2.

My PD sent my application to the court on 8/23. How did you find out that your application was processed on 9/2? I know my MO was cashed on 9/6, but other than that, nothing. 

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

What township / county?  

Galloway twp. Atlantic 

6 minutes ago, Rambo said:

My PD sent my application to the court on 8/23. How did you find out that your application was processed on 9/2? I know my MO was cashed on 9/6, but other than that, nothing. 

I called the court and spoke with the lady handling the applications. I asked her if mine was there, she found it and told me she would process it. If I hadn’t of called it would still be sitting there in the stacks and stacks she said she had on her desk

• Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Galloway twp. Atlantic 

I called the court and spoke with the lady handling the applications. I asked her if mine was there, she found it and told me she would process it. If I hadn’t of called it would still be sitting there in the stacks and stacks she said she had on her desk

Thanks - Atlantic county is one of the counties still delaying and we haven't seen any permits issued yet.  

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

Thanks - Atlantic county is one of the counties still delaying and we haven't seen any permits issued yet.  

Yes. The lady told me she would process my application and she also said my name goes into some sort of database. Every applicants name will go into a database. Not sure what or why. She also said the judge would be having a meeting with the prosecutor before signing off on permits 

43 minutes ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

Yes. The lady told me she would process my application and she also said my name goes into some sort of database. Every applicants name will go into a database. Not sure what or why. She also said the judge would be having a meeting with the prosecutor before signing off on permits 

Glad to see I'm not the only one in Galloway.  Who did you call? 

3 minutes ago, Freezable9880 said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one in Galloway.  Who did you call? 

Well first you have to call the PD and find out if your application was sent to the court. I had to call them a few times in which they were not very happy with me to keep on bothering them. But I didn’t really care, if they would’ve just called me back the first time I called I wouldn’t of had to call them a bunch of times. After that you have to call the court 609-402-0100 ext 47333. Her names milly. Really nice lady and helpful. She has the applications organized on her desk by town.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Rambo said:

I just saw another guy in Ocean County got his PTC yesterday with the 12 Court Ordered Restrictions. It was posted on FB Group.It was dated Sept 6th.

I just jumped over there to take a loki too. Totally unacceptable, well both Dan in emails and Nappin in his Sunday "sermon" this week said they are hot on the car carry issue, I am glad at this point mine hasn't made it to the OC judge just yet.

I also read somewhere (maybe even here - lol) that OC has only issued 5 permits post SC ruling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So if an individual received a carry permit WITHOUT restrictions early on and it appears that Ocean County is issuing with restrictions will previously permitted people have their status changed?  What is the recourse if you are granted with restrictions which almost negate the issue of the ccw?   What is actually driving the restrictions?  Backdoor collusion between prosecutors and AG than directing a judge?

Thanks

Too many people here are panicking over the car carry restriction.  The whole process is so new to Jersey, and police departments and courts are still figuring out what to do.  Sure, there may be some activist judges applying restrictions to permits.  I think this will all shake out over time as challenges are brought forward to the court regarding these issues, and new directives are created to address them.  At least get your process started and hand in your application.  Hopefully by the time your permit comes up for renewal in 2 years, all of this stuff will be worked out.  Don’t sweat it.  

• Like 2
  • Informative 1
  • FacePalm 2

5 minutes ago, 2ARipper said:

So if an individual received a carry permit WITHOUT restrictions early on and it appears that Ocean County is issuing with restrictions will previously permitted people have their status changed?  What is the recourse if you are granted with restrictions which almost negate the issue of the ccw?   What is actually driving the restrictions?  Backdoor collusion between prosecutors and AG than directing a judge?

Thanks

I don't think the process is known at this point...Best case, Nappin and co. strike a deal where all permits default to Non restricted (or at least non restricted for car carry)...Worst case, have to hire your own lawyer to get it changed, or apply for a new carry permit. i don't know.

I think the problem is individual judge ideology, not a conspiracy else they would all be doing the same thing. Just MO.

45 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

I also read somewhere (maybe even here - lol) that OC has only issued 5 permits post SC ruling.

Where I work in Ocean County, we have had 2 employees and at least 3 customers get the PTC.

1 hour ago, SJgunguy9899 said:

The database is something required by the directive and/or the NJ  Supreme Court decision adopting the Directive. It is a good thing. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, samiam said:

Your post reminds me of something that previously occurred to my twisted mind. I have seen nothing in the statute, the AC, or NJSP guidelines that limits an individual to a single permit application. Based on the checkered history of carry in NJ, apparently no one thought it was worth embodying that assumption in law. So, beyond the extra $110 cost ($40 for IdentoGO, $50 to NJ Treasurer, $20 to county Superior Court) what is to stop someone who got a permit limited to a single handgun from qualifying with another and submitting an entire new application (assuming that no way to modify the existing permit to add a gun materializes)? Why wait for the two year expiration? What is there to stop an Ocean or Monmouth County resident with car carry restriction from submittinig a second application after that kind of restriction is over-ruled? The incremental expense of submitting an additional application would seem to be limited to that $110. Now, that isn't trivial, but someone might possibly find it to be worth the money. Frankly, I'd be very interested to see what havoc that might wreak on their system, although I must admit do see an unfortunate risk it could provide an excuse for them to bog things down even further. 

There’s a process already in place to add a gun to an existing permit.  Don’t make this any more difficult than it has to be.  

• Like 1

County: Hunterdon

Fingerprinted: 6/30 - Easton, PA

Applied via: NJSP Washington 6/30

Approved by NJSP Washington: Approx 8/9

Approved by NJSP FIU: 8/15

Received by court: 8/18

Docketed by court: 8/19

Approved by court: 9/14

I don't have it in hand yet, but I'm told it is restricted to the guns I qualified with. When I get the paperwork I'll know about any other details.

• Like 12