CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

23 minutes ago, samiam said:

Congratulations! Were you able to get any status information from NJSP while your application was in process? Thanks.

I kept in touch, yes. Knowing they had up to 60 days by statute, I only bothered them a couple of times.

I am in Monmouth County.  My money order was cashed as of today.  Could have been cashed over the last week or so as I don't check daily.   My fingerprints were done on 7/22.  Application went in about a week prior...

Has anyone else in Monmouth County seen movement with judiciary, apart from the person who received on appeal?

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

County: Hunterdon

Fingerprinted: 6/30 - Easton, PA

Applied via: NJSP Washington 6/30

Approved by NJSP Washington: Approx 8/9

Approved by NJSP FIU: 8/15

Received by court: 8/18

Docketed by court: 8/19

Approved by court: 9/14

I don't have it in hand yet, but I'm told it is restricted to the guns I qualified with. When I get the paperwork I'll know about any other details.

Congrats!

Pickup at court? Or NJSP?

Just now, RadioGunner said:

Congrats!

Pickup at court? Or NJSP?

They said they were going to send it to NJSP, but I asked if I could pick it up from the clerk at the court as NJSP have 'lost' my purchase permits twice before. They said they would let me know.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GlockityGlockGlock said:

Sussex told me they have my application and that they're training more people to process them...

No word on judge

One person also told me it’s with the judge but he didn’t seem sure. My money order was cashed so I don’t even know if that means anything. 

5 hours ago, samiam said:

Can you direct me to a definitive, official, description of the process you mention?

There is no definitive process. I was told by the Gloucester County clerk that all you need to do to amend a permit is to file a motion with the court. This can be done without a lawyer. They will schedule a hearing for you to talk to the judge. The downside is the hearing may be scheduled months in advance. 

1 hour ago, snappy456 said:

There is no definitive process. I was told by the Gloucester County clerk that all you need to do to amend a permit is to file a motion with the court. This can be done without a lawyer. They will schedule a hearing for you to talk to the judge. The downside is the hearing may be scheduled months in advance. 

This is exactly what I heard.  You provide the details of the gun you want to add to your permit and the court will rubber stamp the request.  The clerk will have your permit amended and issue a new permit.  

Updating my timeline:

8/15 - Package submitted to PD
8/16 - Fingerprinted @ Identogo location
8/17 - Identogo Message: Enrollment received - Your enrollment has been received and is being processed.
9/8 - Application hand delivered to Morris County Superior Court by detective from PD
9/15 - Called court to ensure they received my application. They confirmed they have it. Asked how far down the queue I am and he said over 100 :-(

Will update this as my timeline progresses

Update on Sussex County, still not looking good...

I just got off the phone with the Sussex County State police barracks. They said everything on my application is processed and my application was sent down to "division". I'm assuming that is the main state police headquarters and than from there it should be sent to the the Sussex Supperior Court? I was under the assumption that the police department's sent them directly to the superior court however this indicates otherwise.

The sergeant said that the first application he sent out from the barracks approved from him was on July 11th and nothing has come back yet from Superior court. Basically nobody in Sussex County that has applied through the New Jersey state police barracks has gotten their carry permit yet. Based on that July 11th date the superior court is far exceeding the 30-day time frame in the New Jersey Supreme Court directive.

All I can do at this point is keep checking on the status of my money order to see when it gets cashed. I'm not sure if it gets cashed at the Superior Court or at "division" (which I'm assuming is the state police headquarters)...

36 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

Update on Sussex County, still not looking good...

I just got off the phone with the Sussex County State police barracks. They said everything on my application is processed and my application was sent down to "division". I'm assuming that is the main state police headquarters and than from there it should be sent to the the Sussex Supperior Court? I was under the assumption that the police department's sent them directly to the superior court however this indicates otherwise.

The sergeant said that the first application he sent out from the barracks approved from him was on July 11th and nothing has come back yet from Superior court. Basically nobody in Sussex County that has applied through the New Jersey state police barracks has gotten their carry permit yet. Based on that July 11th date the superior court is far exceeding the 30-day time frame in the New Jersey Supreme Court directive.

All I can do at this point is keep checking on the status of my money order to see when it gets cashed. I'm not sure if it gets cashed at the Superior Court or at "division" (which I'm assuming is the state police headquarters)...

Since your application was submitted very early on, you should definitely forward your info to strikeforce@anjrpc.org

3 minutes ago, galapoola said:

Since your application was submitted very early on, you should definitely forward your info to strikeforce@anjrpc.org

My application was not the July 11th one. Mine was submitted on 7/29. The sergeant just informed me that the 1st application he sent out approved was on July 11th and no permits have been issued yet as far as he knows.

18 minutes ago, samiam said:

It might still be worth dropping a note to strike force regarding what you were told about local PD routing to NJSP. That is not what the statute or AC indicates as procedure, and that is the first I've heard of it. Local PD, as I understand it, coordinates the investigation among all parties involved until local PD has enough evidence to either approve or reject at their level. If they approve, it is sent directly to county Superior Court. The court may, at it's discretion, request an investigation by the local prosecutor (that is not in the AC or statute, but is allowed by Grant in Directive 06-19 as customary practice). NJSP fingerprint bureau might be involved in the development of criminal history report along with IdentoGO, but that does not affect how the application document itself is routed. The sargeant is deliberately lying to you, or doesn't know the procedure and it making stuff up to get rid of you, or your PD is doing something very wrong. 

Local PD does not send anything to NJSP. They do their own investigation and processing. 

Here's a good one for you guys/gals, I just handed in my paperwork on the 8th and yesterday I was sent a summons for jury duty. I can not afford the time off to sit around on my laptop for potentially a week or more. (The selection process is virtual.) I tried explaining this and the judge denied it wanting a form to verify financial hardship. They did say I could be excused as a type 1 diabetic, but I would need a note from the endocrinologist. Finally! A benefit of having this disease. I could easily get that, but my worry is that using this excuse could put my carry permit in jeopardy. I called lawshield and am waiting for a call back. This type of timing would only happen to me. For those interested its Middlesex county and the assignment judge is Michael A. Toto. I'll report back with what lawshield advises me to do. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lostboy said:

Here's a good one for you guys/gals, I just handed in my paperwork on the 8th and yesterday I was sent a summons for jury duty. I can not afford the time off to sit around on my laptop for potentially a week or more. (The selection process is virtual.) I tried explaining this and the judge denied it wanting a form to verify financial hardship. They did say I could be excused as a type 1 diabetic, but I would need a note from the endocrinologist. Finally! A benefit of having this disease. I could easily get that, but my worry is that using this excuse could put my carry permit in jeopardy. I called lawshield and am waiting for a call back. This type of timing would only happen to me. For those interested its Middlesex county and the assignment judge is Michael A. Toto. I'll report back with what lawshield advises me to do. 

No way should being diabetic preclude you from absolutely anything!!!!! There is no question on the application that you would have to answer to that or anything else for that matter, heart disease, autoimmune disease, cancer….that is not mental health.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nooch450 said:

My application was not the July 11th one. Mine was submitted on 7/29. The sergeant just informed me that the 1st application he sent out approved was on July 11th and no permits have been issued yet as far as he knows.

It probably was mine. 

2 hours ago, Lostboy said:

You should seek legal advice on that. Unless you've lost eyesight or a limb I don't see it being an issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, g17owner said:

Is his assistant Dorothy?

no idea. 

1 hour ago, ALAN553 said:

No way should being diabetic preclude you from absolutely anything!!!!! There is no question on the application that you would have to answer to that or anything else for that matter, heart disease, autoimmune disease, cancer….that is not mental health.

One of the questions on every gun permit application is do you suffer from a physical illness. I always answer yes, and that it doesn't affect my ability to use a firearm, because it doesn't. I'm more worried that me using it as an excuse for jury duty opens the door for it to be used against me. The thing is, its not a great excuse. Me taking a week off of work and not being able to pay my newly acquired mortgage is the actual reason i don't want to go. 

14 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

It probably was mine. 

You should seek legal advice on that. Unless you've lost eyesight or a limb I don't see it being an issue. 

Yeah, i'm waiting for a call back. 

My township PD has been very communicative.  This a fantastic FB post. Straight copy/paste below. No editing. 

Good afternoon Old Bridge 2A residents

We just wanted to update our residents on our progress in the processing of a permit to purchase, a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FID) or a permit to carry.

As a lot of you know, we have been and will continue to be out in front of the pack in processing times in comparison to other municipalities or agencies. There are however some pieces of the investigative puzzle that slow things down such as out-of-state mental health checks or clarification/disposition of a criminal record. We are often waiting on a court to provide us with an official disposition of an applicant’s prior criminal arrest charge(s). This takes time. Some states are slow in response to a mental health record check which is also conducted via U.S. Mail. 

We do not take any shortcuts in our background investigations. If there’s a question that needs answering, we will find the answer or wait on an applicant to provide needed documentation so we are confident in approving, or if need be, denying an application.

Now, with that said, we want our residents to know what our average turn around times are. Again, these are averages and cannot obviously be applied to each and every applicant’s unique background check. When we are suddenly inundated with applications, things slow down a bit but they do not stop! We remain diligent in our processing of your applications.

We have an average of 14 days for permit to carry applications that do not involve out-of-state checks. This means that from the time we receive your complete application till the time we send it up to Middlesex County is about 2 weeks.

For those carry applications that do involve out-of-state checks, we are averaging less than 30 days.

Carry permits are entirely done on paper and utilize the postal system for documents. They are reviewed and approved on business days. We email the applicant when we forward the application to the Middlesex County Superior Court. Under the statute (N.J.S.A. 2C:58-4), the judge assigned to review such applications (in our county that is Judge Joseph Rae) will either approve or deny it. We have no control on the how Judge Rae will do so as that remains the judge’s prerogative.

For permits to purchase and FID cards, we are averaging about 8 days.

We are constantly reevaluating how we process both the electronic and paper applications in an effort to become even more efficient. This, we feel, better serves our residents.

Please remember that you can either email, call or stop in should you have any questions concerning your application. Our dedicated staff is well versed and eager to assist you.

Thank you!

Acting Chief Donald Fritz, Jr.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Lostboy said:

LOL seriously you need lawshield to tell you how to get out of jury duty? Jury duty is the most basic and easy thing to avoid and I got perm removed from the jury duty pool with one simple statement  Just tell them you will use Jury nullification and nullify. Watch how fast they dismiss you and you'll probably never be selected again. I was selected once about 10+ years ago. I told them I dont have time for this crap and the second im selected the DA will get a loss as I will  nullify just out of spite for wasting my time.  I was told I was dismissed and didn;t have to show up and have never seen another jury duty slip again. 

Before anyone spouts that its your "civic duty" blah blah yea just like its their duty to uphold and support the constitution and here we are now still begging to carry (all that money spent and the permit is only good for a laughable 2 years) and they are still playing games with the permits and restrictions.  As far as im concerned its only fair to do on to them as they do on to us 

• FacePalm 2

25 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

LOL seriously you need lawshield to tell you how to get out of jury duty? Jury duty is the most basic and easy thing to avoid and I got perm removed from the jury duty pool with one simple statement  Just tell them you will use Jury nullification and nullify. Watch how fast they dismiss you and you'll probably never be selected again. I was selected once about 10+ years ago. I told them I dont have time for this crap and the second im selected the DA will get a loss as I will  nullify just out of spite for wasting my time.  I was told I was dismissed and didn;t have to show up and have never seen another jury duty slip again. 

Before anyone spouts that its your "civic duty" blah blah yea just like its their duty to uphold and support the constitution and here we are now still begging to carry (all that money spent and the permit is only good for a laughable 2 years) and they are still playing games with the permits and restrictions.  As far as im concerned its only fair to do on to them as they do on to us 

I mean jury duty is such a nothingburger.

Every time I've been up, they don't select me and I am good for another few years. 

29 minutes ago, IhateNJ said:

Honestly your only hurting the defendant vs the overreaching state.... Imagine some BS gun charge like someone caught with a loose hollow point in their car.... As a juror YOU could protect a defendant's constitutional rights from state overreach with your vote. But now the poor defendant will have to face a bundle of anti gun, uber liberals....

Yes jury duty is a pain in the ass and every time I've been selected fortunately I haven't had to go however I would have, and I would have upheld the US constitution.

• Agree 2

On 9/14/2022 at 6:04 PM, MrAceJD said:

I am in Monmouth County.  My money order was cashed as of today.  Could have been cashed over the last week or so as I don't check daily.   My fingerprints were done on 7/22.  Application went in about a week prior...

Has anyone else in Monmouth County seen movement with judiciary, apart from the person who received on appeal?

I'm in Monmouth County and in a similar situation. The PD submitted my packet to the Court on 8/29 and my money order cashed this week but haven't heard anything.