CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

1 hour ago, WM Rob said:

Does anyone have any information on how things are going in Passaic County, specifically, West Milford.  I dropped my application off to PD on Monday.  Getting my fingerprints done next week.  I was surprised when I dropped off the paperwork, I offered my DL and Passport and she said it was not necessary.

I know of several residents of WM who have received their permit within about 6 weeks.  WMPD does mail a questionnaire to your references so have them let you know when the receive questionnaire and when they drop it off at HQ 

4 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

While that is probably good news, Sussex cashed my money order three weeks ago. They had my app since early August. They told me they are holding apps awaiting guidance. One step closer but not quite there yet. 

Agreed, except in your case the court in your area has exceeded the 30 day mark and action should have been taken on your part. I do want to mention Middlesex is also holding apps, but I'm hoping they will start issuing permits before they exceed the apps that are nearly 30 days in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Agreed, except in your case the court in your area has exceeded the 30 day mark and action should have been taken on your part. I do want to mention Middlesex is also holding apps, but I'm hoping they will start issuing permits before they exceed the apps that are nearly 30 days in.

While I share the same frustration....

What do you expect RadioGunner to do? I don't think they know the exact date when the court received the application, it's been 3 weeks since the money order has been cashed, we're not even 100% sure if the court itself is the place cashing the money order.

RadioGunner has already contacted Strike Force...

10 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

What do you expect RadioGunner to do? I don't think they know the exact date when the court received the application, it's been 3 weeks since the money order has been cashed, we're not even 100% sure if the court itself is the place cashing the money order.

Then he should have called the court! I called the court 3 times, and I got the info I needed. I know exactly when my application was received, I know who cashes the money orders and I know the date my money order was cashed. Whining to Strike Force may not be the most effective course of action. 

• Disagree 3

7 minutes ago, marlintag said:

Then he should have called the court! I called the court 3 times, and I got the info I needed. I know exactly when my application was received, I know who cashes the money orders and I know the date my money order was cashed. Whining to Strike Force may not be the most effective course of action. 

I called the court, twice. They received my app on 8/10. They have it logged. Two phone calls. One person was uncertain and said the judge should be signing soon but didn’t seem sure and another called back and said all the apps are being held pending further guidance from the state. Trust me, I have been diligent. I’m all over the FB groups too and strikeforce has been collecting info from me. Whining to strikeforce? They’ve gotten results in permit to purchase.

But please tell me what you think I should do. 

The only reason I’m going to strikeforce now is because the court has confirmed to me that they aren’t moving on apps at all. 

29 minutes ago, nooch450 said:

No, I know the exact date. August 10. The court told me this. They cashed the money order, they told me this too. PD, FIU and NJSP are not cashing money orders. It is the court. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marlintag said:

I only found out that they took more than 30 days when I called them on 9/12 and that they had my app since 8/10. NJSP told me it would take a while so I waited.

I’m not sure what kind of action I need to take now. I’ve asked strikeforce for help because I am a member of ANJRPC and they offer this to members and to the gun owning public. They have an attorney that takes action. I’m waiting on them to see if they can do anything. Other than that I don’t think I can do anything else but wait. 

If you have better ideas let me know.

8 minutes ago, RadioGunner said:

I only found out that they took more than 30 days when I called them on 9/12 and that they had my app since 8/10. NJSP told me it would take a while so I waited.

I’m not sure what kind of action I need to take now. I’ve asked strikeforce for help because I am a member of ANJRPC and they offer this to members and to the gun owning public. They have an attorney that takes action. I’m waiting on them to see if they can do anything. Other than that I don’t think I can do anything else but wait. 

If you have better ideas let me know.

Assuming that attorney with anjrpc is taking action on your behalf then I would wait for that attorney to provide you with an update. If not, then I would consult with a law firm(even nappen etc.) to give you a course of action moving forward. 

I would hope contact to the court by an attorney would be enough. But who knows. 

If formal legal action needs to be taken to make the court act, that needs to be thought out very carefully as the first case could set precedent for all future cases. 

Seriously, the first case should include as plaintiffs a wounded and decorated Veteran confined to a wheel chair, an elderly person who was critically injured in a robbery, a homosexual who has been the victim of gay bashing, a Muslim who was beat up because of their religion, a black who was beat up because of their race, a woman who was raped, and/or a battered woman seeking to defend herself against an abusive ex-spouse. 

^^^

The above is not a joke. As some may recall, the Heller plaintiffs included a gay man who had defended himself from gay bashing in another state with a gun given to him by his mother, and a guard at the U.S. Capital, who was trusted with a firearm to protect members of Congress but who was not allowed to purchase a handgun to protect himself at home. 

Unfortunately, optics matter. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Am I missing something?  I thought the 30 days for the court was policy and not law.

Correct. Obviously we know the 30 day directive isn't being followed. We know the "guidance" from the SCOTUS saying "SHALL ISSUE" isn't being followed. 

New Jersey is historically notorious for not following even the deadlines in written law. What makes people think that they will follow guidelines within a procedural directive that has no consequences or ultimatums.

When New Jersey has been challenged on not meeting the deadlines in written law before the courts basically let them get away with it....

2 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Am I missing something?  I thought the 30 days for the court was policy and not law.

I don’t know what it is, but either way it doesn’t matter. They’re going to do whatever they want, your only recourse is to pay thousands of dollars, possibly tens of thousands, to fight them in court over the next year or two. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Variant said:

I don’t know what it is, but either way it doesn’t matter. They’re going to do whatever they want, your only recourse is to pay thousands of dollars, possibly tens of thousands, to fight them in court over the next year or two. 

As horrible as that sounds, it may come to that.

5 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

They created the policies that they enforce, they should have to follow the very same policy. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

I would hope contact to the court by an attorney would be enough. But who knows. 

If formal legal action needs to be taken to make the court act, that needs to be thought out very carefully as the first case could set precedent for all future cases. 

Seriously, the first case should include as plaintiffs a wounded and decorated Veteran confined to a wheel chair, an elderly person who was critically injured in a robbery, a homosexual who has been the victim of gay bashing, a Muslim who was beat up because of their religion, a black who was beat up because of their race, a woman who was raped, and/or a battered woman seeking to defend herself against an abusive ex-spouse. 

^^^

The above is not a joke. As some may recall, the Heller plaintiffs included a gay man who had defended himself from gay bashing in another state with a gun given to him by his mother, and a guard at the U.S. Capital, who was trusted with a firearm to protect members of Congress but who was not allowed to purchase a handgun to protect himself at home. 

Unfortunately, optics matter. 

I really doubt it would take another lawsuit. My guess is that they’ll talk to the AG who will then issue a directive or tell the courts that the existing one needs to be followed. 

If they want a plaintiff I wouldn’t mind being one. But I doubt it would need to go that far. 

Hum, not really, this is going to need some horsepower from the top like the AG and the legislators, and the only way that will happen is with attorneys either convincing them with argument before and if needed via lawsuit...The people who are administering our stuff in the PDs are just following the law...Additionally, on-line tools to facilitate entering our info and tracking it would be nice, but that will take resources and time to develop, neither of which the administrators we interface withhave any control over.

The nice Ladies in my PD don't have control over identigo being a fingerprint monopoly (requiring up to 3 weeks sometimes to get an appointment and up to 2 more weeks to provide it to PDs). They have no power over what the judge does or how long the judge takes to do it, or getting rid of the judge part altogether, they have no control over how long Sarge and chiefy take to sign off, or why we need any references at all which all need to get called, etc., etc.

You are barking up the wrong tree as the saying goes.

I give up, you are blaming this mess, spawn from 100 years of tyranny, on clerks and their immediate Supervisors at the very bottom of the responsibility/power chain which goes all the way up to the AG, Legislators, and Judges...Makes no sense to me but feel free to go down to the PD's that you feel are not doing their job and offer them some process suggestions. Let me know what you accomplish.

You're just complaining here about the wrong people, so go visit them with your laundry list of complaints which you believe the clerks have some control over. Good Luck!

• Agree 2