CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

30 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Carol was a personal friend....  

I'm sorry for your loss. Her story always comes to mind any time I think about NJ gun laws.

FPM, by the way...

"The murder of Carol Bowne resulted in a change to New Jerseys Gun Control Laws by Governor Chris Christie following her death in 2015.[7] The legislation stated that "those living under a direct or material threat" could apply to receive a firearm permit in 14 days, not 30.[7] This change was subsequently reverted in 2019 by Governor Phil Murphy in an attempt to make New Jerseys gun control policies the "strongest" in America."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I just wanted to post a quick msg - didn't even coordinate it with the rest of the staff, but simply because I'm confident they would agree with the point I'm making. I'm posting it HERE (in this particular thread), because it's getting the most activity, and also because a lot of our new members are on here (and we're so delighted to see all of you new folks, btw)! This post is applicable to ALL of our forums...

As you know, it's a turbulent time in NJ's 2A community at-large. It's exciting, of course, that the Bruen decision was decided as it was. But, there are also frustrations as many of you anxiously await your CCW approvals so you can exercise a Constitutional right (a right that was denied us for far too long in this state). Though I understand those frustrations, please be mindful that this is first and foremost a COMMUNITY and we do require a reasonable level of decorum from all posters. With that in mind:

1) If you haven't done so already (or haven't done so in a while), kindly review our Forum Rules!  As you'll see, they're not onerous or even overly detailed. They're about what you would expect from any online community - mainly, it's about TREATING OTHERS WITH RESPECT (no personal insults, etc.). Forum Rules - Forum Rules - New Jersey Gun Forums (njgunforums.com)

2) We are all (presumably) reasonable people here. Therefore, as your fingers furiously tap those keys - remember, breathe - reflect on what you're typing - and quickly review it BEFORE you hit the send key. In other words, please moderate your own posts... so we don't have to step in and do it for you (which is a far less pleasant route for all of us, I assure you). 

Let's keep the tone either cooperative - or at least - one of respectful debate. We're lucky to have some incredibly experienced folks on here from many facets - LEO, Military, Civilian - so bring an open mind to the discussions, because there's much to learn here. Appreciate your cooperation with this!! Enjoy the forums.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I have a few questions about filling out the CCW form.  I appreciate your help!

- Where do we find the municipal code - is that different than the ORI number?

- Can we use relatives as references?

-Do we need a business phone number for the reference?

- Can we use a cell phone instead of the home phone?

- Do the references sign all three copies of the forms?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, joeg said:

I have a few questions about filling out the CCW form.  I appreciate your help!

- Where do we find the municipal code - is that different than the ORI number? Call the clerks in the firearms department, they can tell you...(Because I called the tax office and they gave me the wrong one, luckily I checked with the firearms depart at the PD). 

- Can we use relatives as references? NO

-Do we need a business phone number for the reference? Either one is fine as long as they can be in touch...My PD only called people either early in morning or 10:30 at night cause the Cop was working night shift who does this. So home might be the best way.

- Can we use a cell phone instead of the home phone? Of course as long as you use it at home too, but see above.

- Do the references sign all three copies of the forms? YES unfortunately it is a PITA.

Thanks

See above.

• Like 1

BTW, @gunforhire (Anthony Colandro) has some interesting info on his most recent show, posted here: The Gun For Hire Radio Broadcast: Episode 591 - Best Gun Range NYC and NJ Area | Gun Range Near Me - for those who don't know (lots of new members here!), Anthony is the owner of Gun for Hire, a commercial range in North Jersey, but he's also on the executive board of ANJRPC, NJ's NRA state affiliate. It certainly sounds like ANJRPC is well aware of what's happening - in particular, he just happened to cite problems in specific towns (like Bayonne & Maplewood) and counties (like Middlesex, Gloucester, Sussex, Bergen) that are clearly putting up stumbling blocks. He was not providing a complete list mind you, just highlighting a few areas of trouble. Clearly, ANJRPC is going to be putting more detailed info out soon. 

Interestingly, based on a few cases where CCW permits were denied for seemingly capricious reasons (prior traffic violations, currently going through a divorce, etc.), he had a very specific recommendation:  if you've got ANYTHING in your background - a domestic disturbance from years back where cops were called (even if there was no restraining order) - he's actually recommending that you hold off on applying for your permit - or even PULL your application if it's in - until some of these cases are overturned. You're adults, you can listen to that part and judge for yourselves - it starts shortly after the 34-minute mark (though I do recommend you just give a listen to the full show).    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

So.  60 days for me today.  Last week i checked. Usps mo had not been cashed yet.  Lets see how mercer county will handle this.  I think ill refuse a restricted ptc if that happens.   Im ready for mass litigation. Thoughts on refusing it!!  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fawkesguy said:

Is the prohibition on using relatives as references mentioned in statute or administrative code, or somewhere else?

My PD told me no years ago when getting pistol permits...If someone has a statute/code saying otherwise, great, I'd love to see it and it would make things a bit easier.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

BTW, @gunforhire (Anthony Colandro) has some interesting info on his most recent show, posted here: The Gun For Hire Radio Broadcast: Episode 591 - Best Gun Range NYC and NJ Area | Gun Range Near Me - for those who don't know (lots of new members here!), Anthony is the owner of Gun for Hire, a commercial range in North Jersey, but he's also on the executive board of ANJRPC, NJ's NRA state affiliate. It certainly sounds like ANJRPC is well aware of what's happening - in particular, he just happened to cite problems in specific towns (like Bayonne & Maplewood) and counties (like Middlesex, Gloucester, Sussex, Bergen) that are clearly putting up stumbling blocks. He was not providing a complete list mind you, just highlighting a few areas of trouble. Clearly, ANJRPC is going to be putting more detailed info out soon. 

Interestingly, based on a few cases where CCW permits were denied for seemingly capricious reasons (prior traffic violations, currently going through a divorce, etc.), he had a very specific recommendation:  if you've got ANYTHING in your background - a domestic disturbance from years back where cops were called (even if there was no restraining order) - he's actually recommending that you hold off on applying for your permit - or even PULL your application if it's in - until some of these cases are overturned. You're adults, you can listen to that part and judge for yourselves - it starts shortly after the 34-minute mark (though I do recommend you just give a listen to the full show).    

Traffic violation? Do you mean one that a person never paid, or is disputing, or...? I would image that lots of people have had traffic violations through the years.

1 hour ago, Combat Auto said:

Traffic violation? Do you mean one that a person never paid, or is disputing, or...? I would image that lots of people have had traffic violations through the years.

You can listen to the show and interpret it yourself of course, but the gist of it was that a judge apparently objected to someone's overall driving record (I guess there were several infractions on it), because (the judge reasoned) it made the applicant seem like someone who didn't obey the law. As Anthony pointed out, MV infractions aren't even under the criminal code. So, that is unlikely to stand up on an appeal. It shows you that some of these judges are getting "creative" in their denials though.  :facepalm:

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

You can listen to the show and interpret it yourself of course, but the gist of it was that a judge apparently objected to someone's overall driving record (I guess there were several infractions on it), because (the judge reasoned) it made the applicant seem like someone who didn't obey the law. As Anthony pointed out, MV infractions aren't even under the criminal code. So, that is unlikely to stand up on an appeal. It shows you that some of these judges are getting "creative" in their denials though.  :facepalm:

Agree, they are totally out of control...Thanks for your comments.

8 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

What Anthony also said is that if your denied they can take your firearms. 
That’s the scary part .

11 hours ago, Combat Auto said:

My PD told me no years ago when getting pistol permits...If someone has a statute/code saying otherwise, great, I'd love to see it and it would make things a bit easier.

If there is no statute forbidding it, it is allowed. 

If I remember correctly, it used to be stated , no relatives on the FID/purchase permit form but was removed quite a while ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Is there a expiration date on  digital fingerprints. Lets say I had my fingerprints done and didn't turn my CCP paperwork in for six month's.

The last time that I had to get my prints done (soccer coach), the Identigo employee told me that they don't keep prints on file, so that's why I had to get printed AGAIN and spend the money AGAIN.  :facepalm: :banghead: :icon_rolleyes:

• Thanks 1