CJack

NJ Handgun Carry Permit Application Experience

2 minutes ago, samiam said:

Well, somewhere in the law enforcement hierarchy fingerprints are kept on file. If IdentoGO doesn't do it, I bet that NJSP does. Of course it is clearly in IdentoGO's business interests not to keep prints in file, so that they can charge us for new ones. If they did keep them on file, they would probably charge some entity (most likely us - I can't see NJ paying) a $30/year maintenance fee. 

The employee said that it was a violation of the 4th Amendment.  :icon_rolleyes:  I asked why the state kept them on file then and she walked away. :icon_lol:

• FacePalm 1

12 minutes ago, WM Rob said:

Has anyone addressed the Reciprocity issue?  It seems to me when SCOTUS said outside your home they did not put a mile or state border limit on it....

I believe that has yet to be resolved.  There are some folks going for PA permits, but AFAIK, there are no other states honoring NJ permits.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

I believe that has yet to be resolved.  There are some folks going for PA permits, but AFAIK, there are no other states honoring NJ permits.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Some states do honor NJ permits. NJ just doesn't honor any other states permits.

It would be a good idea IMO for the NRA or FPC to have an out of state resident apply for a NY State carry permits (they don't issue them) this way they can sue and make sure at a minimum that all states must issue non resident permits or honor reciprocity.

Ironically, our reqs to receive PTC are a bit more than most other states require. It should have 50 state reciprocity.

Also, aren't some of those red states Constitutional Carry? so maybe no technical reciprocity but still you can carry.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, g17owner said:

Ironically, our reqs to receive PTC are a bit more than most other states require. It should have 50 state reciprocity.

Also, aren't some of those red states Constitutional Carry? so maybe no technical reciprocity but still you can carry.

some of the CC states say you have to be a resident of the state, so not all would allow you to permit-less carry, the next big issue may be outside the home means all 50 states and the territories.

as at least some police department approved applications are coming due this week at Middlesex County Superior Court, This is the week that Middlesex needs to fish or cut bait on issuing permits. 

Can’t say I have much sympathy, it’s a stew of their own cooking. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

as at least some police department approved applications are coming due this week at Middlesex County Superior Court, This is the week that Middlesex needs to fish or cut bait on issuing permits. 

Mine has been there since second week of August. No word other than its waiting to be signed and they will call when its ready.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

True, but what if they don't?

36 minutes ago, Karatenurse said:

Mine has been there since second week of August. No word other than its waiting to be signed and they will call when its ready.

What town?

what date received by Middlesex County Superior Court

what proof do you have that Middlesex Superior Court received your a PD approved application more than 30 days ago

and as I said in a previous post—Middlesex County may not be the best county for the first test case. 

BTW. If your are a nurse and have to walk in dangerous parking lots at night that is a big plus as a plaintiff. Female nurse would add extra zing. 

19 minutes ago, dpas1973 said:

Does anyone have a contact for bergen county? My local pd gave my stuff 6 weeks ago to the county and hasn’t heard anything since. I asked him for a contact and he said he don’t have one lol. 

Start with the court clerk:

Bergen County Clerk – 201-336-7000

Might want to join this facebook group to get more info:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1207623813370890

41 minutes ago, dpas1973 said:

Does anyone have a contact for bergen county? My local pd gave my stuff 6 weeks ago to the county and hasn’t heard anything since. I asked him for a contact and he said he don’t have one lol. 

Judge Kazlau is doing the permits in Bergen county. I called when I was waiting for my permit and did not get any information from his clerk. Only thing she said was that they have a lot of applications and they are going through them every day. Bergen county is issuing without in person hearings so I would not bother them too much right now. Sit tight. You will get it.

31 minutes ago, samiam said:

SCOTUS allowed for a state to have a process with reasonable requirements for issuing carry permits, which kinda, sorta implies a degree of autonomy for the states. That appears to be mildly contradictory with the idea of universal reciprocity. It will no doubt require more court deliberation to reconcile those two concepts. I tend to think that Thomas granted too much latitude to the states in Bruen, but I imagine it was a trade-off regarding the degree to which the 14th A was going to be applied to impair states' rights (10th A.) in this instance. 

The courts generally only order on what's before them. In Bruen, I'd say Thomas went beyond that in the dicta and gave us so much more than we could hope for. The concept of carry outside and objectively issuing permits as you stated, need to be melded together so the court can somehow tell the states to accept permits from other jurisdictions. I think marriage licenses and drivers licenses never needed to run through the courts, it just happened organically. Reciprocity will probably take an act of congress, doing it through the courts may be crazy complicated because of all the variety of requirements. The fed could set a minimum standard and any state issued permit that meets this would qualify for nationwide. No one wants a fed permit, that would vest too much power to the whim of Washington. A standard course, pass this qualifying would be great though.

Its been almost 30 days since my application went in and still nothing. I am starting to wonder if its cause how I answered this question 

(30) Are you presently, or have you ever been a member of any organization which advocates or approves the commission of acts of violence, either to overthrow
   the government of the United States or of this State, or to deny others of their rights under the Constitution of either the United States or the State of New  
   Jersey? If yes, list name and address of organization
(s) here:

I answered: Yes and name and address of org

NJ Government
125 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08608 

1 hour ago, IhateNJ said:

Its been almost 30 days since my application went in and still nothing. I am starting to wonder if its cause how I answered this question 

I answered: Yes and name and address of org

NJ Government
125 W State St, Trenton, NJ 08608 

I thought it was belonging to Democrat Party that disqualified gun ownership in New Jersey.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bushmaster1313 said:

I thought it was belonging to Democrat Party that disqualified gun ownership in New Jersey.  

Oh please like the NJ republican party is really any better. What about that lardass whale Chris Christie? 
Or any of the other "republicans" that got voted in...they were prompt at putting an end to the crap with the loss of gun rights, right?

Jack I believe got a B or B+ from the NRA  which while better than bucky he might have prevented some of these new idiot laws, however he wouldn't have relaxed any gun laws. Singh might have managed to relax a few things but he never made it to the running. Face it, its like part of the oath these clowns take is is they must stomp on gun owners rights. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is the ccw course timed?  I see different places require different things, too.  Some want a holster, some want shots from 3 and 4 yards, etc.  Seems odd that NJ didn't require a standard one.  Also, are we just going to have to take the course every two years or go through the whole process again, every 2 years?  Thanks

51 minutes ago, joeg said:

Is the ccw course timed?  I see different places require different things, too.  Some want a holster, some want shots from 3 and 4 yards, etc.  Seems odd that NJ didn't require a standard one.  Also, are we just going to have to take the course every two years or go through the whole process again, every 2 years?  Thanks

Law for police, retired police, and the rest of us are different laws.  Police and retired police have the course of fire defined.   A permit to carry a handgun does not have a defined course of fire.   Most instructors are using some modified version of the other two but all that is really required is:

1. demonstrating "familiarity with safe handling and use" of a handgun
  2. submission of your qualification scores.

There is no specific score required.  Again, most instructors (maybe all) are requiring 80% since that's what is required for police and retired police.

Google NJAC 13:45-2.4(b) for the actual law. Everyone is using option #2 under this law.

And, yes, we will need to do the whole process over every 2 years.  Fingerprints, references, qualification, new application, etc.

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a bit absorbing all the great info on NJ Gun Forums. I'm in Monmouth county and just turned in my application last week. A few minutes ago I found this on the CNJFO facebook page basically saying that the prosecutor is contacting applicants to agree to certain restrictions before meeting with the judge. 

BREAKING! MONMOUTH CO. CCW APPLICANTS IN A JAM!
ANJRPC LAWYER DAN SCHMUTTER ADVISES TO LAWYER-UP!

https://www.facebook.com/371903659656377/posts/pfbid0PWWqa44ZUubFByx71XagqTfftFZQpYyvBkW3k1cbFfrjVNu7WZNESnhwyFtxwm3xl

6 hours ago, COD said:

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a bit absorbing all the great info on NJ Gun Forums. I'm in Monmouth county and just turned in my application last week. A few minutes ago I found this on the CNJFO facebook page basically saying that the prosecutor is contacting applicants to agree to certain restrictions before meeting with the judge. 

BREAKING! MONMOUTH CO. CCW APPLICANTS IN A JAM!
ANJRPC LAWYER DAN SCHMUTTER ADVISES TO LAWYER-UP!

https://www.facebook.com/371903659656377/posts/pfbid0PWWqa44ZUubFByx71XagqTfftFZQpYyvBkW3k1cbFfrjVNu7WZNESnhwyFtxwm3xl

Can you copy and paste the text of the post? Some of us are not in Facebook because the masters of the universe banned us ...

• Like 1